It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?

Gods have no needs or wants that man can assuage. Gods are said to be so high above us that for any God to have such a need would be like man craving the adoration of germs.

I see us as just as foolish as germs and the creatures shown in this clip as we act the same way.

www.youtube.com...

I can see where at one time it would have been profitable to bend the knee to King/Gods as in the original archetype city states, as used in the original Eden myth written by the Jews, but not today.

That myth I think was written from the following reality.

www.youtube.com...

Our present secular systems of governance have bested the Gods in the moral and legal senses and only the really right wing theists would want to live under the laws of the old barbaric Gods.

I am not an atheist and seek God to appease what I recognize as my spiritual side. But not to bend the knee or adore; just to improve any defect in my thinking; if I have one.

I know that there are way more followers out there than leaders but cannot fathom why someone would want to lower themselves to adore even a God unless it is strictly as a self-serving action that we hope God will recognize and reward.

That is hardly being good for goodness sake. God would know and send such hypocrites to hell. Which scriptures say is where the vast majority of us will end up regardless.

That means that you, even if you pray daily and hard, are likely going to hell along with most of those you know. In a sense, you should feel sorry for those few who make it to heaven as they must spend eternity watching their loved ones in purposeless torture. That would drive any moral person insane.

Gods have no needs or wants and has no rewards to give in exchange for what Gods have no need or want of.

The Godhead I know certainly disavows such a need or want.

www.youtube.com...

Why then, if you are a believer, do you need or want to worship a God if not for the reward you think it will bring you?

Is your need to adore a God a defect or benefit?

Regards
DL

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

The true God does not want anything to complete itself as it has all there is - it is all that is. But it can only know this when it recognizes this truth. God is not God until he sees that it is all God.
edit on 15-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It's the nature of all of us, to seek the boundlessness of our own existence. It could be in the form of a search for an external God, the Universe, something within yourself or outside of yourself, using tools like science, religion or spirituality. And that drive, desire or search is as natural as a tree growing in the Forrest. All of these methods of searching for answers sprout from the same root within us all. So to call one method, a defect or benefit , is a judgment nobody is qualified to make, because we're ALL doing the same thing.

If you are trying to grow in your understanding of your place within this Universe, regardless of your approach to the problem, ask yourself: 'Is my yearning a defect or a benefit?' . Your answer is the only Honest one you're going to get.

edit on 15-7-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

In a sense, you should feel sorry for those few who make it to heaven as they must spend eternity watching their loved ones in purposeless torture. That would drive any moral person insane.

This must be part of your defective thinking you mentioned.

What possibly led you to that conclusion? What do you think heaven is?

What makes you think that any other kind of life would be better?

What do you expect in an afterlife?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

SnF!

Worshipping God is our need and its for our own benefit.
Humans have an inherent need to worship/to be spiritual and if its not God that they worship then they start worshipping self, fame, power, money etc.
If the self/desires are given the highest priority the person sooner or later would start wronging people around.
Even worshipping God but with the aim of pleasing the self is useless in the eyes of God as it would again just make the person self-righteous and arrogant.
God commands sincere worship that is directed towards God alone and only this kind of worship improves the person making him/her humble and compassionate, and only these people truly deserve Heaven.
Avoiding sins/wrongs to avoid hell and doing good deeds to get Heaven are also good enough motivators although not the best but even here consciousness of God would be good.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I don't see how worshiping a god could be a defect, that just doesn't make sense. Naturally there are benefits for praying, but when doing so you should be praying for others and not your self, "For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him." Matthew 6:8

"......For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Romans 8:26

Don't get me wrong, I slide a few in for myself, but I see it as benefit for others. I pray for my friends all the time, I can't say for sure if it was my prayer alone that the prayer was granted, but I do believe it helps.
edit on 15-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Gods have no needs or wants and has no rewards to give in exchange for what Gods have no need or want of.

Correct. And 'worshipping' some "God" because one is convinced that 'we were made by God to worship him' is silly, in my opinion. Also, I agree with there are no rewards or benefits that can't be enjoyed by focusing on OUR FELLOW HUMANS, and their best interests....
heaven and hell should have NOTHING to do with it.

That will be 2 cents, please.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Also, I agree with there are no rewards or benefits that can't be enjoyed by focusing on OUR FELLOW HUMANS, and their best interests....

So you do good and help fellow humans because you expect that you will get benefits in return someway?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by logical7

No, I do good because it comes naturally to me, and I get the reward of knowing I helped out. It's very simple.

Knowing that one kind word, one moment of attention, one sympathetic statement can turn a person's day around is what I see in the point of living. To lighten the burdens of others in whatever way I can.

I don't care about money, or fame, I only want to know, when I die, that I had a positive influence on someone's life when they needed it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

I don't see how worshiping a god could be a defect, that just doesn't make sense. Naturally there are benefits for praying, but when doing so you should be praying for others and not your self, "For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him." Matthew 6:8

"......For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Romans 8:26

Don't get me wrong, I slide a few in for myself, but I see it as benefit for others. I pray for my friends all the time, I can't say for sure if it was my prayer alone that the prayer was granted, but I do believe it helps.

So when you pray to 'God' you say 'I want you to make it better'? Praying for most is 'asking'.
Give thanks to what is provided and seek no more and God will reveal himself but man always wants something else, something different, something more - so God stays hidden.
Worship no other because there is no other - this moment of presence is it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

So when you pray to 'God' you say 'I want you to make it better'?

So when you pray to 'God' you say 'I want you to make it better'?

I guess you can say that. Everyone needs help from others from time to time. For example: Microsoft is hiring, you got a few skills that would help. However, Microsoft is a high powered company, you won't get hired unless you meet all their criteria. Such as a good resume, skills, but most importantly, solid references. Who is going to vouch for you, or intercede on your behalf and say, "this guy is a hard worker"?

But even if you have all of that, your still not guaranteed to get the job. In the end, Microsoft will make the final decision. If your not hired, is it Microsoft's fault?

People are under the impressing that God should say "yes" every-time. But that is a silly assumption. Do you give your kids a pop-sickle every-time they ask? Probably not, despite the fact you have a freezer full of them. I'm sure even God doesn't want to raise a bunch of spoiled brats.

God provides help when he knows you need it. At the same time you should also be giving something back. Respect, maybe.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
I guess you can say that. Everyone needs help from others from time to time. For example: Microsoft is hiring, you got a few skills that would help. However, Microsoft is a high powered company, you won't get hired unless you meet all their criteria. Such as a good resume, skills, but most importantly, solid references. Who is going to vouch for you, or intercede on your behalf and say, "this guy is a hard worker"?

But even if you have all of that, your still not guaranteed to get the job. In the end, Microsoft will make the final decision. If your not hired, is it Microsoft's fault?

People are under the impressing that God should say "yes" every-time. But that is a silly assumption. Do you give your kids a pop-sickle every-time they ask? Probably not, despite the fact you have a freezer full of them. I'm sure even God doesn't want to raise a bunch of spoiled brats.

God provides help when he knows you need it. At the same time you should also be giving something back. Respect, maybe.

Everything is happening by the will of God - he is doing it all and it is done. You are here to see and hear what is here to see and hear but you look off to some other better place in mind. Better only appears in the mind. It is a thought that deceives you into missing what is here now.
When one denies the only existing one - one is lost in thought and lost in time.
Come to this moment.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Correct. And 'worshipping' some "God" because one is convinced that 'we were made by God to worship him' is silly, in my opinion. Also, I agree with there are no rewards or benefits that can't be enjoyed by focusing on OUR FELLOW HUMANS, and their best interests....
heaven and hell should have NOTHING to do with it.

That will be 2 cents, please.

Well, recently a new study came out that said religious faithfulness is a mental disorder. So it must be a problem with genetics and therefore not our faults. We should get government disability and a handicap parking plate for the car.

Sorry, nothing can be done to cure a mental disorder.

edit on 15-7-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I'm going sign up as fast as possible. Free money from the gov for believing, now who is going to turn that down, lol.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

ok, it's all in my mind. I need to be in work in 5min, it's 2miles away. Which is faster or better, walking or driving?

Philosophy only sounds good when it makes sense

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by logical7

No, I do good because it comes naturally to me, and I get the reward of knowing I helped out. It's very simple.

Knowing that one kind word, one moment of attention, one sympathetic statement can turn a person's day around is what I see in the point of living. To lighten the burdens of others in whatever way I can.

I don't care about money, or fame, I only want to know, when I die, that I had a positive influence on someone's life when they needed it.

so the reward is that "good" feeling that "you" made someone's day.
So you are worshipping the "self" like i said in my 1st post here.

So some more questions.
Who gave you this "naturally" helpful personality?
Obviously you did not play any part as it was "natural"
The teaching by parents does help but it is already there, parents just bring it out.
You already acknowledge a Creator/Source that was the cause of all the creations including you.
So do you feel grateful to have been created the way you are?
Do you acknowledge that how you are was not chosen by you but was determined when the Source set the act of creation into motion..?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I believe that the worship of anything is based on fear. If you were about to get in a gang fight and there's this six-foot-six muscle-bound black belt in karate, which side do you want to be on? His side, right?

The very first of mankind had LOTS to fear. So they created gods for these fearful things so that man could be on the side of the gods.

An earthquake god won't hurt me, I'm on his side.
Pray for the gods to be on our side in this war, and hope that our gods are stronger than their gods.

Worshiping is all about fear. Face it, if it were well known that NO ONE ever gets punished by a god for ANYTHING they do, we'd all say, "Oh, there's a god? Who cares?"
edit on 7/15/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I believe that the worship of anything is based on fear.

No it isn't. Everyone worships at least one thing, most worship several. Worship is nothing more than ascribing great worth to someone or something.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

Is God a philosopher?
Is God a philosophy?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

Is God a philosopher?
Is God a philosophy?

Ask Plato, he seemed to have all the answers.
edit on 16-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join