It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New interesting Curiosity image!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BornOfSin

I can't believe people even think like this.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by marhaba
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

...and some people are still being obstinate about it they keep believing on their thoughts hoping they can sway enough people to their own thinking and finally make it true even if it's not.

Yeah, but my point is that the reason why we don't see tracks leading up to those holes is clearly explained in this thread a couple of times, with links included describing how the ChemCam laser tool works, yet people keep asking "If the rover made those holes, then where are the rover tracks?"

edit on 7/16/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
SIGHS

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Don't you mean 'I can't believe people even think.

Wake up people. Quit being so foolish your whole life.

Sometimes it makes me sad to think I'm from the same race as a majority of people

Originally posted by impaired

edit on 16-7-2013 by BornOfSin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BornOfSin
SIGHS

I'm not sure if you are responding to me or not, but the point of this thread is (albeit, implied by the OP, but not explicitly asked):

"what are these marks"

And my responses have been explanations of what those marks are.

I would say my responses have been on point here.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
My 'point' was that you are all like seagulls chasing after a french fry that NASA is throwing so they can enjoy eating their hamburger while you fight over it.

None of these pictures are taken on Mars.

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

SIGHS

I'm not sure if you are responding to me or not, but the point of this thread is (albeit, implied by the OP, but not explicitly asked):

"what are these marks"

And my responses have been explanations of what those marks are.

I would say my responses have been on point here.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
The holes are made by the rovers laser 'drill' tool.

The laser drills into the soil or rock and the composition can be measured.

How dare you!!!

How dare you apply logic and reason so quickly in a thread and crushing all hopes of extraordinary imaginary explanations, bickering back and forth between believers and skeptics alike in a conspiracy forum.

You logic timing is unfairly premature.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942

How difficult would it be to include explanations as to what the heck we are looking at, instead of letting the public speculate as to this and that.

That presumes that they want the public to be informed. You know the 'need-to-know' concept. Today information is provided only if the effort and expense of providing it brings a measurable return (financial or otherwise) to the provider.

You may ask, Then why publish the images at all? Because evidence like this, that arouses suspicion of abnormal things (conspiracies, aliens etc) adds to the confusion. The more confusion the easier for those in power to control the masses.

This is the only rational explanation I can come up with, because you're right, it's not difficult.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingHuman
...You may ask, Then why publish the images at all? Because evidence like this, that arouses suspicion of abnormal things (conspiracies, aliens etc) adds to the confusion. The more confusion the easier for those in power to control the masses.

This is the only rational explanation I can come up with, because you're right, it's not difficult.

These laser holes were just a small part of a huge panoramic mosaic of many images. NASAsn't about to explain every detail of the panorama cecasue it id mage up of dozens of smaller pictures that were previously taken earlier.

Besides, NASA has explained the laser marks in other images. They aren't holding back the information about these laser holes, nor are they adding to confusion. Here is an explanation of earlier laser marks (and a drill mark:
Laser Hits on Martian Drill Tailings (Annotated)

There is plenty of information provided by NASA on the spacecraft and its mission on NASA/JPL's website. For example, There are whole web pages devoted to this ChemCam laser tool:

ChemCam and Laser

The NASA/JPL Curiosity website has a wealth of information. Nobody should be confused at all about these sorts of images (such as the laser holes) because the explanation of what the rover can do is all there for you in the JPL Curiosity website:

JPL -- MSL Curiosity Rover

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Don't you mean 'I can't believe people even think.

Wake up people. Quit being so foolish your whole life.

Sometimes it makes me sad to think I'm from the same race as a majority of people

Originally posted by impaired

edit on 16-7-2013 by BornOfSin because: (no reason given)

"Think"? That is not thinking. That is just incoherent jumblings that make no sense because they are only laser holes. If you fail to accept that, you are not in this reality.

Originally posted by davethebear
Yeah, the reason I wrote lucky number seven is because the holes make up the shape of a number 7, not because there are eight holes..

See, BornOfSin? Now what do you have to say for yourself???

Why am I even arguing with you? Sadly, there is no talking logic with someone "of your position".
edit on 7/20/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingHuman

The information is out there, available freely. The question is, will you beat your own ignorance / disinterest / preconceptions to access it and absorb it. msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I'm not sure whether to just close this thread. Or take a valium.
Puhlease....It has simply explained, intricately explained. There are explanations on the Rover site.
There are videos of an active laser shot...(it's actulally multiple shots, where the vaporized material is replaced by other material flowing into the hole.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

I do agree with the thread title though. It's interesting.

It's a laser for analyzing soil and rock composition, It's just that simple.
edit on 20-7-2013 by curiosity rover because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

NASAsn't about to explain every detail of the panorama cecasue it id mage up of dozens of smaller pictures that were previously taken earlier.

Why not?

Originally posted by mcx1942

How difficult would it be to include explanations as to what the heck we are looking at, instead of letting the public speculate as to this and that.

That presumes that they want the public to be informed. You know the 'need-to-know' concept. Today information is provided only if the effort and expense of providing it brings a measurable return (financial or otherwise) to the provider.

You may ask, Then why publish the images at all? Because evidence like this, that arouses suspicion of abnormal things (conspiracies, aliens etc) adds to the confusion. The more confusion the easier for those in power to control the masses.

Thank you, Soylent Green Is People, wildespace, and spacedoubt. I am impressed with the reaction, the resources you are providing are thorough.

However, you also prove exactly my point, and the one of mcx1942. While there is a perfectly rational explanation for this phenomenon, as mcx1942 suggested, it would be easy to annotate pictures JPL releases to the public. Especially - since they KNOWthey made those laser holes at this location. (one minute to insert a reference).

Or, why does JPL or NASA not designate some PR staff to answer questions like this one, and possibly publish FAQs? Then people will not have to speculate, and the experts here on ATS will not need to get upset. And it would eliminate most if not all conspiracy theories.

That they have neither one of these - seemingly obvious, easy - solutions indicates to me that they want the conspiracy theories to be around. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

When the public notices unusual things, they will wonder what they are - or are they just animals? To find their answer the public must 'reverse engineer' of sorts, starting out with the phenomenon and trace it back to what may have caused it - by studying ALL the technologies JPL has recently developed. Without being expert in those multiple fields. They have no choice BUT to speculate.

What do you expect the people to do, pay taxes to fund JPL - but not ask questions about its output?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Lasers? ha they are just sci fi.
It is obvious to me the Martian Mole people made the holes.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Stop the press! The OP's link to the NASA's panorama actually gives explanation for these holes. mars.nasa.gov...
See the 4th "snapshot" from the left. So the explanation was there under the OP's nose all the time.

I'll reiterate: NASA annotates its images quite often, especially when they are part of a news release. But as there are tens of thousands of raw images coming from Curiosity, it would be impossible and impractical to annotate them all.

Running a dedicated PR team to do these annotations and answer every question that comes their way would be time-consuming and unproductive either, and I don't think conspiracy believers would be satisfied with those answers anyway. Doing science is more important, and more useful, than chasing after conspiracy theories.
edit on 20-7-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Stop the press! The OP's link to the NASA's panorama actually gives explanation for these holes. But as there are tens of thousands of raw images coming from Curiosity, it would be impossible and impractical to annotate them all.

Running a dedicated PR team to do these annotations and answer every question that comes their way would be time-consuming and unproductive either, and I don't think conspiracy believers would be satisfied with those answers anyway.

This answers my question. Thank you for that. And it resolves the concerns for my conclusion, at least in this case. My consolation is that neither the OP, nor the other experts were aware of this either until you enlightened us all.

If this were similar in most other situations, then I would need to revise my generic statement. I certainly will keep my eyes peeled for this aspect.

Though this may only be a matter of opinion, I disagree with your statement about the PR team. If the government does not answer to the people, it is not "of the people". For giant organizations with billion dollar budgets, one team is a minute expense, and a justified one. The public could even serve as a free resource. Many discoveries were made by amateur astronomers. Many more eyes sometimes see things that fewer ones miss. And experts are sometimes trained too much to focus on their perspective. It would not be unproductive to look through an inbox and separate the good, eye-opening comments from the bad ones. You do that at ATS every second.

We need experts but just like with government, if their insitutions are not accessible, and responding, to the people then it is not good. (I did not say annotate every picture, only the significant ones, as was done here)

Also the second part of your paragraph, I am perfectly satisfied with the information you provided. I would be very happy to live again in a world that appears void of conspiracies. I don't want them to exist, I just say what I see.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join