It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New interesting Curiosity image!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Many very interesting finds from Curiosity images ..

This image is latest find I guess and also the good one ..

i290.photobucket.com...

mars.nasa.gov...
edit on 15-7-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The holes are made by the rovers laser 'drill' tool.

The laser drills into the soil or rock and the composition can be measured.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

They're drilling holes Curiosity made some time ago.
But, keep looking, nothings wrong with that

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MariaLida
Many very interesting finds from Curiosity images ..

This image is latest find I guess and also the good one ..

i290.photobucket.com...

mars.nasa.gov...
edit on 15-7-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

People say they are drill holes, but let's pretend that they aren't....

Some kind of newly discovered worm holes?

Maybe the lucky number seven is also lucky on Mars....

Or birds flying in formation, but three birds on one side couldn't keep up the pace...::ro

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Where are the Curiosity tracks then? How far laser arm reaches?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by amfis
Where are the Curiosity tracks then? How far laser arm reaches?

Since the laser is attached to the laser arm, and the laser arm is attached to the rover, and the wheels are also attached to the rover, the tracks are below the camera...so you can't see them.

It's like me taking a photo of you, and you wondering why my footprints are not in the picture.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Really? 2.1 meters - it is how long the "arm" is... so from the perspective of the photo, the tracks should have been visible....

Not even close enought from my point of view: Photo
edit on 2013.7.15 by amfis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by amfis
reply to post by MysterX

Really? 2.1 meters - it is how long the "arm" is... so from the perspective of the photo, the tracks should have been visible....

Not even close enought from my point of view: Photo
edit on 2013.7.15 by amfis because: (no reason given)

The ChemCam laser is NOT on the arm, but on the mast. The mast is a post that is on top of the raver, and it cannot reach out in front of it.

HOWEVER, the ChemCam Laser itself has a range of 7 meters (more than 20 feet).

Link:
How Does ChemCam Work?

From that link:

ChemCam’s laser removes the need to touch the rock. It allows ChemCam to determine a rock’s composition from a distance of up to 7 meters (~25 feet)

Here is more information about ChemCam and the laser:
Chemistry & Camera (ChemCam)

Excerpt:

From 23 feet (7 meters) away, ChemCam will be able to:

- rapidly identify the kind of rock being studied (for example, whether it is volcanic or sedimentary);

- determine the composition of soils and pebbles....

edit on 7/15/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
What I do not understand is why NASA does not release all these images with captions or something, telling us what we are looking at within the images.

It's not like they do not have a team of people (experts I would assume) going over and reviewing all these images. Then they decide which images get placed into the public domain bins. At least that is how I imagine they go about releasing images of another planet to the little guys.

How difficult would it be to include explanations as to what the heck we are looking at, instead of letting the public speculate as to this and that.

It is almost like NASA wants us(the public) to feverishly ponder the chance that somehow some life altering image slipped through their fingers or some whistle blower is attempting to expose nefarious dealings.

I don't know, just a random thought. It is odd that so many of these images are left up to our imaginations.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Well, if you believe all the folks here on ATS, it is quite simple. You can do this yourself, take any image and then choose from one of the captions below:

1) it's a rock
2) it is a rock
3) rock pictured here
4) artifact of unknown origin that could be a rock
5) it's a piece of the rover, or a rock

hope that helps

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Because all NASA 'curiousity' imagery is actually filmed in Antarctica and the images are photo-shopped and coloured.

They do not want to show you what they are REALLY looking at.

How do you keep an idiots eye off the prize?

*Releases another vague picture open for speculation*

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Cool, thanks for a chemcam hint!
While looking further there is seen burn marks from the excess of the heat... it must be lasers then

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
To the person who said lucky number 7

There is 8 holes.

To those saying its from the rover.

Where are the tracks. It's a very heavy machine.

Watch 'Man of Steel' and you'll see a 'hint' in the Antarctica scene where there is a 'red planet' shown on a monitor. Lens filter of footage being filmed at the station.

We are not seeing anything on Mars. They are just trying to keep us amused by throwing random things out in the snow so we go 'WHAT'S THAT?'

NASA has done this many times before. I can't believe people would believe NASA would actually show the public these things.

We are talking about an organisation that shuts off their public systems and cameras every time they do something weird.

Say they 'would not turn to track Ison around the Sun' (Which is BULL#, they just aren't showing us)

You HONESTLY believe they would release ANY real pictures from Mars, if indeed they are even ON the planet??

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BornOfSin

There is 8 holes.

Where are the tracks. It's a very heavy machine....

As I mentioned in a post above, these holes are from the ChemCam, which uses a laser to vaporize soil or rock so the spectrograph of the vaporized soil or rock could be analyzed to find its chemical composition. The ChemCam laser has a range of 7 meters (more than 20 feet), so that's why you don't see tracks leading to these laser burn marks.

Link:
How Does ChemCam Work?

From that link:

ChemCam’s laser removes the need to touch the rock. It allows ChemCam to determine a rock’s composition from a distance of up to 7 meters (~25 feet)

And I think the person who said "lucky seven" meant the laser marks were in the shape of a "7", although on its side.

edit on 7/15/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942
What I do not understand is why NASA does not release all these images with captions or something, telling us what we are looking at within the images.

They often do. But Curiosity has sent thousands of raw images, and annotating them all is impossible and impractical. There are over 67,000 images uploaded so far, and the rover hasn't even arrived to its target location.

Curiosity is there to do science, and scientists are getting what they need. The public are also getting an unprecedented amount of colour images and other data (if you know how to dig for it). But I guess complainers will always complain.

P.S. there are no rover tracks in the image because the laser is shot some distance in front of the rover. Here's a cute little video of the rover using its ChemCam laser (animation is based on the real data received from Curiosity).

edit on 15-7-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
holes from them drilling with lasers if im remember correctly

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BornOfSin

There is 8 holes.

Where are the tracks. It's a very heavy machine.

Watch 'Man of Steel' and you'll see a 'hint' in the Antarctica scene where there is a 'red planet' shown on a monitor. Lens filter of footage being filmed at the station.

We are not seeing anything on Mars. They are just trying to keep us amused by throwing random things out in the snow so we go 'WHAT'S THAT?'

NASA has done this many times before. I can't believe people would believe NASA would actually show the public these things.

We are talking about an organisation that shuts off their public systems and cameras every time they do something weird.

Say they 'would not turn to track Ison around the Sun' (Which is BULL#, they just aren't showing us)

You HONESTLY believe they would release ANY real pictures from Mars, if indeed they are even ON the planet??

Yeah, the reason I wrote lucky number seven is because the holes make up the shape of a number 7, not because there are eight holes..

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

Shouldn't we see the Rovers tracks next to the holes, if these were done by the drilling tool of Curiosity? Or is the drilling tool on a very long telescopic arm?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by loOranks

Originally posted by MysterX

Shouldn't we see the Rovers tracks next to the holes, if these were done by the drilling tool of Curiosity? Or is the drilling tool on a very long telescopic arm?

The tool that made these marks (the ChemCam) has been explained in this thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

...and some people are still being obstinate about it they keep believing on their thoughts hoping they can sway enough people to their own thinking and finally make it true even if it's not.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join