It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
See that's why the Zimmerman Martin case is the hottest most important topic in the USA right now.
And it has little to nothing to do with Zimmerman, Martin or the case either.

It's all about our misconceptions about race, ignorance of the law and it's founding principles, and about how easy it is for the media to trumpet it into our ears and divide everyone into "groups".

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
George Zimmerman is hispanic or he considers himself to be. His mom is mostly hispanic decent. People need to see past his last name. At the very least he is White-Hispanic.

People need to do searches on both parties. Look up the REAL Trayvon Martin and you might not like what you see. Look up the REAL George Zimmerman and see what you find.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
reply to post by NavyDoc

Of course you don't get it. Did you even read what made me respond that way??

War and yadadada has been around since the dawn of man, but I was trying to convey something completely different. Do not read my post if your not going to read who I am responding to. And I wouldn't say all ills. Somethings are new like the idea of race. Prior to that idea it was based off of lineage(clan,tribe), or region(people from the east)or commodity.

I was correcting a couple of erroneous opinions that people try to pass by as fact. I am sorry that some how you believed that I was saying europeans introduced these things, even though I don't know how any one can get that off of what I wrote.

But rather that the existent reality is a "singular human community" of confused people who erroneously label themselves into illogical categories.

This is an illusion. We are all different that what makes us similar. I dislike people who spend night and day labeling others into illogical categories because they are confused, in the name of religion or in the name of 'new religion'= "science".
edit on 15-7-2013 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: (no reason given)

You said that African kings and Queens were "tricked" into making war or having slavery. I would suggest that people figured out how to do bad things to each other on their own a long time before various religions evolved. There are a multitude of motivators to do bad things to your fellow man: resources, land, territory, wealth, power, preserving your bloodline. Such things have always been part of the human condition.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Oprah is an outlier and in her past she experienced plenty of racism. You are delusional if you think everyone is treated equally in America and you need to wake up from your "American dream" because obviously it's falling apart around you. And I'm not speaking in specific cases I'm speaking generally.
edit on 15-7-2013 by asher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
They were not "tricked". You don't trick people into selling their own off as slaves, that is done on one's own accord.

End the dishonesty, PLEASE.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The music of the peasant class, meant Mountain men Native Americans and black slaves.

The races were segregated but the music wasn't

Tell me who divided us?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
See that's why the Zimmerman Martin case is the hottest most important topic in the USA right now.

It's all about our misconceptions about race, ignorance of the law and it's founding principles, and about how easy it is for the media to trumpet it into our ears and divide everyone into "groups".

We were already divided into groups. White people did a good enough job with that. I mean think about it. what race is it that comes up with all the hate language? (n*gger, s*ick, w*tback, sandn*gger,h*adji, towelhead) that's all white people. And as soon as people get fed up they claim we are all one people.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by asher

Originally posted by muzzleflash

We were already divided into groups. White people did a good enough job with that. I mean think about it. what race is it that comes up with all the hate language? (n*gger, s*ick, w*tback, sandn*gger,h*adji, towelhead) that's all white people. And as soon as people get fed up they claim we are all one people.

The whole world doesn't speak only English. You are misinterpreting things because you speak English.

If you knew about any of the hundreds of other languages, you would know everyone has their slang and derogatory terminology for all sorts of groups.

Again, you are actually wrong.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Great thread Op I know the issues but I'm black and look white so there lots of confusion. On that note the reason there's no riots is because the black community knows the real joke and they know Martin either was stoned or was getting stoned. Skittles and tea is 2/3 of the juice mix. It's an inside joke that nobody outside the hood talks about
Here's a link

WIKI
edit on 15-7-2013 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by asher

There are racial slurs aimed at all races by all races. I just was looking for a list or the roots of racial slurs and was shocked, check it out, I am not going to post any links.

Irish, Mick, (common name among the Irish that became a general epithet for all Irish. Paddy or Pat was also common (and remains so in Britain), but Mick "won out" in the States.

Polish, Polack, simply the older name for Polish people in English (from the Polish word for Pole) that became the pejorative when the word Polish became more prominent.

French, Frog, from the disdain held by "plain eating" English-speaking folk for any group that was so "odd" as to eat frog legs. (I suspect I'm going to get corrected on this one.)

German, Kraut, from the disdain held by "plain eating" folk for people who eat food with rich (or overpowering) odors.

Italian, Wop, from Italian guappo, a street tough--used by association that all Italians were bullies and cutpurses. (Guappo is related to both Spanish guapo and and older French word I've forgotten. The French word meant "weak" and the Spanish word means "beautiful" and the word may have originally been an ironic reference among Italian immigrants to the puffed up hooligans in their midst.
Italian, guinea, a linking of Italians to the dark-skinned peoples of Africa, paticularly in the Guinea region.

Hungarian, bohunk, hunky (not honky), from a corruption of the word Hungarian.

U.S. whites (from blacks), honky, purportedly from the higher, nasal sound of white speech as opposed to the lower, throatier sound of black speech.

Dutch, blockhead, or squarehead, I'm not sure of these. Blockhead has meant a stupid person for a long time. It may have simply meant that the English thought the Dutch stupid (when in insult mode) and squarehead may have been a back-formation from blockhead. I'm not sure.

Hispanic in the U.S., spic (also applied to Italians formerly), origin not really understood.
Mexican in the U.S., greaser, an attempt to portray Mexicans as being greasy with grime from never washing.

Jewish, kike,

I lifted this from another forum

It seems to me that some names evolved into something negative, did the "N" word always have a negative connotation?

The history of the word is often traced to the Latin word niger, meaning Black. This word became the noun, Negro (Black person) in English, and simply the color Black in Spanish and Portuguese. In early modern French, niger became negre and, later, negress (Black woman) was unmistakably a part of language history.

Hope this isn't against any forum rules.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
Great thread Op I know the issues but I'm black and look white so there lots of confusion. On that note the reason there's no riots is because the black community knows the real joke and they know Martin either was stoned or was getting stoned. Skittles and tea is 2/3 of the juice mix. It's an inside joke that nobody outside the hood talks about

You know I didn't know about the skittles thingy until yesterday.

when taken in large quantities as a recreational drug, can produce psychotically aggressive behavior.

why hasn't the news media caught on to this or is it deliberately leaving it lay.
edit on 093131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
"There are two things I can't stand in this world.
People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch."
-Nigel Powers

"So serious this thread is."
-Yoda

"No matter what we say, no matter what we do, the only true legacy is what we teach our children. They are the ones that will either end or continue the legacy of racial bias and hatred."
-beezzer

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm not talking about the world. I'm talking about America. So actually I am right.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

"No matter what we say, no matter what we do, the only true legacy is what we teach our children. They are the ones that will either end or continue the legacy of racial bias and hatred."
-beezzer

There is no doubt about that.

Personally, I lost all hope.

edit on 093131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The words the were derived from carry no negative connotation. But that's why it's called slang. In america any racist slang you hear was started by white people. And that's the truth

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

The words the were derived from carry no negative connotation. But that's why it's called slang. In america any racist slang you hear was started by white people. And that's the truth

Ok let's assume you are right for 1 second.
It's all white people behind all the bad stuff.

So, what is your proposed solution to this problem?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
What is the "Final Solution" to that "Race problem" anyways?

Can you smell that? I know everyone can.

Never forget.

link   

asher, I hope you got to watch the video I posted, do some research it is a real eye opener.

We humans have been killing and hating on each other since Cain and Abel, you don't have to believe the Bible to know they got the history of the human condition right.

link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

The majority of ANY racism I have ever experienced as a black woman have come form other black people. Why are we like this?

We have conceded to life-long victim-hood, and excuse making, shifting the blame on others, especially other races and I hate it.

Very insightful thread, ButterCookie.

S&F

I had no idea this self-segregation was so prevalent in the black community (at least in Memphis but certainly elsewhere). I guess it’s not shocking but it’s still a little uncomfortable to read. Your comments about blaming slavery are spot on in my opinion. We do live in an entitlement society today and it’s certainly not limited to one race. However, the slavery excuse really enforces the entitlement mentality of many in the black community.

My$.02 is as follows:

To answer your question “Why are we like this”, I believe it is absolutely by design. Politicians on both sides of the isle decided long ago that they need to pander to people to gain votes. Between 1960 and 2010, federal entitlement spending exploded from 28 percent to 66 percent of total federal spending. Today we have generations of Americans of all races who EXPECT handouts and support from government. Furthermore, I believe the Democrats really grabbed hold of the black community by playing the race card and pandering. Blacks have voted democrat constantly since Harry Truman and have been fed this idea by the ‘left’ that they are owed something and that ‘whites’ (specifically White Republicans) are trying to keep them from what they are owed. Pandering policies promoted by phony politicians for their own political gain coupled with race baiters like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton have been exploiting racial divides for the past 40+ years.

Like I said, I’m not surprised because I’ve seen this happening during my entire life. It’s still uncomfortable to hear first-hand accounts though.

You’re a smart person, ButterCookie. I wish more people would use their head for something other than a hat rack. It’s really quite obvious how blacks have been conditioned and quite frankly USED by so many throughout the years. May I recommend reading some of Larry Elders' work? I think his words will resonate with you and maybe give you some reassurance that you’re views are shared by many in the black community.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

The issue is historical race relations in Memphis, and more generally in the South. I’m a black man who lives in Boston, a town perceived to be mostly white, and racist. I have plenty of non-racist black and white friends.

Have you been to DC or ATL? There are plenty of educated black people, and there are more black men in college than in prison.

Again in the North lots of sister are going natural, even if they aren’t rocking a from, they aren’t getting perms either.

Voting dem or rep is pretty much the same now days. Yes repubs looked out for us more initially but they’re pretty much anti-working class these days. Doesn’t matter if your white or black.

Honestly (and I’ll catch some backlash for this) but I don’t understand why any minority worships a white Jesus and/or God. I’m not religious but I respects everyone else’s right to be, if they so choose. This particular aspect seems off to me though.

Zimmerman was the aggressor, a kid minding his own business is dead, and no one can atone for that. Zimmerman was the instigator, which is really what this boils down too. He should not have gotten off scott-free. And for those who’ll say justice was served just because a verdict was delivered, how about OJ? Was justiced served in the 90’s when we all knew we was guilty of some sort? Or how about the sister in Florida serving twenty years for firing in the air to protect herself from her abuser? There are two legal systems in this country, you have to accept that FACT.

As for the rest, I’d love to engage in some meaningful conversation with other blacks for why things are the way that they are.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join