It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Its easier to be weird,no explanations neccessary. And you can dress as you please.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by openlocks

I've had 40 year old, life long, gangbangers break down and cry in front of me when we have these discussions. They truly want a better life but do not know how to go about attaining it. Often I am as every bit of critical of these people as many of you are. The difference is, I am metaphorically "holding their hand" when I do it. Which is why threads like this frustrate me so much. They come off as just apathetic whine-fests of judgmental persecution, without any reflection upon the grander nuances of this mess, or any real compassion for these people. They are suffering as much, or more-so, as anyone else in this country is.

Peace brother, may we all find greater understanding about ourselves and others.

One of my sisters was basically supported here whole life by my parents. She quit working in the early 90s and even then she was a car rental agent. After my dad died in 1992 she moved in with my mom, and ran her into bankruptcy over the next 15 years. I ended up supporting them for the last 10 years of my mom's life, and when she died at the age of 80, 1 1/2 years ago, I told my sister that I will not support her in anyway. This is after I paid for schooling twice to get her a skill before my mom passed away. I saw it coming and I wanted to try and get here independent for that day she was on her own. She is now 55 and still living in my mom's house and has not paid a payment in 1 1/2 years. The last time I talked to her she had no water or electricity, that was 8 months ago. She still has no desire to find work or do anything but collect food stamps.

I do not see this situation any different than what large portion of the population is like to a certain degree, and I do feel that a life time of bad decisions build up to the point that there is no recovery. With my 28 years of military service I know a very large number of blacks that were in the service with me. In EVERY case their success was as good or better than their white equivalent, and because of this I feel with the right mentorship EVERONE has a good chance at a good life.

This takes us to what you are talking about, if the family life is bad it creates greater hurtles to over come than the norm, and the norm is still not easy. The small percentage that do over come those hurtles go on to achieve great things for they have a greater ability to begin with, and the rest go on to live a life like my sister that no matter what you do they reach the point that nothing will help them. This is the generation to generation I talked about in past posts.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to fix this, how to break the chain and create a life where kids will not see a gang as a better life than what they have at home. I do not know of Martin's life at home, but he was well on his way to a life time of bad decisions that would have buried him sooner or later. He had already dropped out of school and was well on his way to a life of drugs and gangs. Did he have that greater ability to over come all this, I don't know, but what I do know is there are millions of Martins out there that do not have that greater ability, and are screwed because the hurtles are just too high for them.

edit on 19-7-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

"power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely"

It's actually much more subtle than that, power attracts the corruptible thus absolute power attracts the absolutely corruptible...

This being the case, we should only grant such power to those who are reluctant to wield said power and only under conditions which increase that reluctance.

Everyone has within themselves the desires to give and to take, which if those we succumb to determine how our character is defined.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
reply to post by openlocks

Here is the thing, it is their fault. Thomas Sowell was born in the Jim Crow South, he was moved to Harlem, and never finished high school. He had a storm of bad luck and the deck was "stacked against him." He went in to the Marines, flipped the opportunity in to an education, he worked two jobs when he got out, and now he is a fellow at the Hoover Institute at Stanford University. (I forgot to mention he is also a syndicated columnist, world renowned economist, and author of many books on society and economics.)

A million stars for this post!!

I absolutely agree, and this is the pink elephant in the room.

I love Thomas Sowell I have watched just about every YouTube video he has and he makes so much sense. He always adrresses the pink elephant in the room that everyone wants to ignore (especially for blacks) on the issue of poverty, welfare, and affirmative action. These are liberal platforms used by the Democratic Party that eventually lead blacks to their demise. He explains how 'the negative effects of slavery' do not appear in the generations that are closer to that era; therefore being poor and violent and blaming it on slavery is simply another Democratc/ liberal 'trick' to keep blacks in their place, since the plantations are no longer, thanks to the Republican Party.

I am also a veteran, (United States Marine Corps, oooh rahh) and I know exactly what Sowell means when he says it is the poor's fault. See, as I stated earlier, liberals love giving blacks the idea that EVERTHING WRONG IN THEIR LIFE IS THE FAULT OF SOMEONE ELSE. With this defeatist attitude, the poor will never lift themselves and become productive citizens of society.
edit on 19-7-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)[/editby
edit on 19-7-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

The majority of ANY racism I have ever experienced as a black woman have come form other black people. Why are we like this?

We have conceded to life-long victim-hood, and excuse making, shifting the blame on others, especially other races and I hate it.

The number one excuse for our violent behavior, low education, or high poverty rate from the Black Community is "SLAVERY" "BLACK WOMEN" [fixed]

Hello there Buttercookie. I hope you read this. I believe I have seen your posts on here before, but I never knew you were black. I'm very glad I read your post today, because I'm freakin' at the breaking point. Idk if you noticed, but the Sambo/Uncle Tom name calling just came back into style these past 4 years. Those terms have always been used of course, but recently I've seen and heard a lot of it. I don't know why nor do I care. At this point I just can't stand the black community. I'll try to make this post as comprehensible as I can.

I wasn't always like this. I went to school, got a good job, hung out with a few whites, but mostly mixed with blacks. I spoke/speak the language that I was taught as a child, English. I have been told, though, that I sounded like a white girl. I'm much older now, so I can't say that it really bothers me anymore. Besides, I have blackened up my vocabulary a bit, but nothing more than usual. Actually, I find that even certain white people will react in a certain way to you if you're not a stereotypical Negro. This is simply the truth.

The other day while I was listening to The Read, a podcast hosted by KidFury and Crissel, a term was introduced to me.

Respectability Politics is absolutely new to me, but only in the term. Its the idea that by making more money, better grades, and doing certain things deemed by other races you would be deemed acceptable and respectable aka a "good negro". This week was a very good podcast and I suggest you listen to it, and I somewhat agree with it in terms of the constant apologetic comments I always see all over the internet. Theres this constant "oh I'm so embarrassed for my people right now" comment that you will see in different variations on fight, twerk, and general videos that involve black people.

On the other hand, I am starting to feel a certain way right now. I don't feel embarrassed by my race, but I don't respect my race and thats not because of a ff'n fight video or some girls twerking. Its because of this FAKE outrage and absolute idiocy that constantly permeates the black community. The OUTLANDISH reactions to the Zimmerman verdict is nothing short of utter lunacy.

For instance, there have been many rappers who jump whole heartedly on this Martin/Zimmerman outcome without even speaking about the issues that are happening in our black community itself. No one wants to dare bring up the fact that there are more weekly homicides in any different black hood than there are in Iraq. Or how about the fact that smoking marijuana, selling marijuana, selling coke, selling heroine is completely illegal yet drugs are HEAVY in the black community right now.

One of the things that pissed me off the most was the utter lack of respect for the judicial system. Why the eff is Wyclef Jean and others saying the Stand Your Ground Laws are the equivalent of modern day lynching? This makes absolutely no sense.
The man was found Not Guilty and there is all this talk about possibly seeking Civil Suits and having his gun license removed. Really? This is actually the same crap that happened with OJ.

Hmm I learned a lot from this trial.
Now if my understanding is correct all blacks are supposed to think exactly the same and jump on any kind of inane band wagon out of pride for one's race.

If a black person is found Not Guilty of killing a white person than we as blacks should celebrate and say there was no evidence to begin with and justice was served.

If a white person is found Not Guilty of killing a black person we should assume the jury was racist and or incompetent and we should rant, rave, and we should probably petition to have certain laws changed. Yeah that's right. Some of these laws are only meant to protect white people so we should just do away with them all.

Just disgusting. I now see what some people chose to say I'm American and drop the African off. BTW I'm natural too. I still can't stand folks.

Also fun fact Chief Keef and crew are legit crazy and selling coke. I love how rappers want to talk about social issues when it is them that ruin the black community every day.
Here is a video from a couple of years ago of Chief Keef raping 2 dudes. He doesn't show it, but that's exactly what happened there. I didn't post a comment on there, because I said well someone else would figure this out.

Anyway the key is when Keef says "Sing Yo Song" to the guy in yellow. "Sing Yo Song Sing Yo Song, Youse A Rapa(raper)". He turns the camera away quickly as the kid cries in the background. There is a point earlier in the video where he signals with his earring.
Take care.
Yeah the blk community is effed.
edit on 19-7-2013 by iamusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iamusic

Wonderful perspective.

As an English major, I can understand why making good grades in school, especially at mastering the English language places a person-no matter the race- on a higher pedastal as far as the social classes. Englsih has become the dominant global language. See, its not a 'white' thing about speaking proper English. Its more that you are judged by your ability to communicate globally.

I'm going to chek out that podcast tonight. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

reply to post by iamusic

Wonderful perspective.

As an English major, I can understand why making good grades in school, especially at mastering the English language places a person-no matter the race- on a higher pedastal as far as the social classes. Englsih has become the dominant global language. See, its not a 'white' thing about speaking proper English. Its more that you are judged by your ability to communicate globally.

I posted and edited more.

Take care and be safe.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamusic

reply to post by iamusic

Wonderful perspective.

I posted and edited more.

Take care and be safe.

I see! Definitely going to check that out..

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

lol i didnt see this until today..what kept my African culture that i love so much oppressed was your great equalizer Jesus..

I'd say Jesus gave them hope. See a lot of african americans today who belong to him, and they have hope and are happier for it. You don't have much of a culture beyond drug dealing, gang warfare, pimping and a lot of prison time. Too busy blaming the white man and holding out your hand for free government handouts, complaining about what happened to your ancestors and sitting on your ass when you could be forging your own destiny, while your hatred swallows you whole and spits you out subhuman. For the record i'm not a white guy, i'm Native American
and my people have suffered far more than yours ever did, yours weren't hunted to extinction and set in open air zoos. And by the way there were white slaves too, usually poor Irish immigrants, or poor British or Scottish immigrants called indentured servants who had to work for several years to win their freedom, and usually died before that time breaking their necks because African slaves were too expensive to put ontop of the houses and barns repairing damaged roofing.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Sounds like your sister has a psychological disorder of some kind, maybe she experienced some kind of trauma at a critical developmental moment. No amount of tough love/pull yourself up by your bootstraps will fix what is consuming your sister. Some ways that traumas affect people especially in childhood is by overriding survival instincts, if she were cut off from food stamps tomorrow she would probably starve to death, that isn't laziness... something is actually very wrong. Poverty and everything it can entail is one of those traumas that can kill survival instinct conversely it can kick it into overdrive.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You don't have much of a culture beyond drug dealing, gang warfare, pimping and a lot of prison time.

this is rich!!

Too busy blaming the white man and holding out your hand for free government handouts, complaining about what happened to your ancestors and sitting on your ass when you could be forging your own destiny

while your hatred swallows you whole and spits you out subhuman.

now im subhuman?

my people have suffered far more than yours ever did,

now we are comparing who had it worse???

And by the way there were white slaves too, usually poor Irish immigrants,

there is a ongoing discussion about this on ATS

just got attacked by a keyboard warrior

you have alot of anger in you
tell me about the Native American culture since mine doesn't have much beyond drug dealing and so forth...

MODS sorry if this is off topic

edit on 19-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

My jaw actually dropped from reading his post.
I haven't seen such unconcealed hatred toward a specific people in a long time. I see it's undertones everyday just... I almost admire the personal honesty even though I hate the mentality. Just wow.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I almost admire the personal honesty even though I hate the mentality

i agree and this is how most people truly feel ATS but disguise it with big words
truth always comes to light

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You are clearly part of the problem in this country, such ignorance!

Do you read anything before you post it? So black people can't bring their treatment up, but you can bring up everyone elses? And now it's a frickin contest?

The OP seems to thrive on this topic, I don't think I've ever read her post about anything else. As far as Im concerned, this issue will never be resolved because it's too much for most people to discuss without bringing up stereotypes like it represents the majority. The only thing that will make things better are people who make an effort to educate themselves and stop the finger pointing.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benoit84

You are clearly part of the problem in this country, such ignorance!

Do you read anything before you post it? So black people can't bring their treatment up, but you can bring up everyone elses? And now it's a frickin contest?

The OP seems to thrive on this topic, I don't think I've ever read her post about anything else. As far as Im concerned, this issue will never be resolved because it's too much for most people to discuss without bringing up stereotypes like it represents the majority. The only thing that will make things better are people who make an effort to educate themselves and stop the finger pointing.

Untrue.

If you look at my list of threads, I have created threads (and received many flags, mind you) on topics such as Breaking News events, Extraterrestrial Life, the Ancient Alien Theory, Dreams, Songs, and Technology.

Political Science is my Undergraduate Minor and when your eyes are open to new/different ideologies, you tend to want to share them. So yes, political science is just ONE of my many topics I like to discuss.

I'm more into Space and Extraterrestrial Life, though.

So...yeah...never really saw your point. Flow with the actual topic at hand

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The majority of ANY racism I have ever experienced as a black woman have come form other black people. Why are we like this?

Interesting. Do you feel the black ethnic group is more racist toward other black people in general or do you believe yours is an isolated case?

I know for me, it's a peer thing. I'm white and have had black friends my whole life growing up in the south but I notice they tend to form opinions in packs or groups. In other words as individuals black friends are fine ( you get along fine with each other) but if they get into groups they tend to be more pro black and anti white. In fact they can act totally different in groups as opposed to when they are by themselves.

This happens in lots of ethnic groups not just blacks and whites so this is more of a social behavior thing more than a black/white thing.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Ah, my apologies then. The only ones I've seen you in involve race. And every one pretty much boil down to:

Black people are MORE racist now than anyone. And...

That is the fault of Democrats/Liberals/Progressives who trick them into a perpetual victim mentality.

Which are ridiculous statements to make, but of course you get tons of stars from those who love to perpetuate THOSE stereotype and lots of pats on the back.

Honestly the image you're projecting goes towards ignorant people of any race. And by trying to say black people need to take responsibility for themselves (duh! Who doesn't?) While in later posts blaming it on liberals and the like, negates whatever point you're trying to make.

Blame blame blame, that's all it ever is. Keep up the divide, girl!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Benoit84

she didn't say TRICKED. or, did I miss that?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by knoxie

Not sure about TRICKED necessarily, but from what I've read she seems to believe that Democrats, etc have so easily manipulated black people. I don't have time to go through 45 pages at the moment to look up her exact wording, I was basically paraphrasing her main points.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Benoit84

you don't have time?? but, you come into the thread, quite angry - interesting. maybe if you had read all her posts like I have you'd learn a thing or two. several African American's have joined with the same complaints as the op. I think only one or two did not, and they left quite quickly without really having a conversation with butter cookie, a shame really.

read the thread it has opened my eyes to some things.

also, what I got from her posts, is that she believes most liberals have good intentions but we're really not helping the situation with our placating (?). nothing about tricking...

like one of the other posters said, "this girl is looking past you with her forward way of thinking".

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join