It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

"you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink"

truth...

i feel as long as i showed the thirsty horse were the water is....ive done my job

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy
reply to post by OneManArmy

"you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink"

truth...

i feel as long as i showed the thirsty horse were the water is....ive done my job

thats all we can do.

when we start getting pushy, we become preachy.
And as soon as you become preachy you are putting yourself in the category of religious zealot.
No intelligent person takes those people seriously.
I fear that I often come across as preachy and holier than thou, i just want to do the right thing, isnt that what most of us want?

edit on 16-7-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I've read most of the replies and I've come to the simple conclusion that racism has not at all diminished. I suppose that blatant racism is something that holds some rarity to it but closet racism, which is still very much racism as one would expect, is prevalent throughout our country. It's sad because it holds us back as a species from truly pushing forward.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Unfortunately, it seems you have abandoned the memory of your ancestors. I'm half Irish, half Puerto Rican, and my grandmother who is Puerto Rican was sterilized without her consent or knowledge under a program established by Rockefeller because she was thought to be of an "inferior" race. while I pass as white, I remember her struggles so that I may fight against the ideas that lead to her fertility being stolen. I never have, and never will harbor hate against any people. I choose to walk in truth about history and confront those who wish to erase it, no matter how uncomfortable it may make them, only so they may have the courage to practice empathy instead of judgement on experiences that have never, and will never be there own.

Saying that what happened to your ancestors has no baring on you now, is like saying the rain that fell on a seed has no baring on the tree that now stands in it's place.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dulce5cinco

Saying that what happened to your ancestors has no baring on you now, is like saying the rain that fell on a seed has no baring on the tree that now stands in it's place.

These dead civil rights activists are the reason that ButterCookie can take the position she has. They should be respected and not tossed aside as irrelevant in to-days selfish "me first" society.

www.splcenter.org...

Both Black and White killed while involved in the struggle for equality; that apparently have been forgotten. For shame!

God help us!!
edit on 16-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by openlocks
*snip*

And by the slightest chance that this poster is a Black Woman, as they claim, she is the definition of a house negro. Turning her smug, semi-privileged nose up at the field workers.

*snip*

Do you even hear yourself? Someone that wants an education, speaks properly, and refuses to play race card games is insulted by you? Boo, hiss!

Who are you to come onto a thread and tell someone they are not who they claim to be, and toss out insults? Many people comment here on the actual subject, offering their own experiences, and encouragement, and you act like the family and friends she discusses in the OP. Way to prove her issues are real.

Do you even realize that you just stated blacks cannot actually learn to speak properly, educate themselves, and not be racist, unless they are some sort of traitors to their race? No matter what your color, you are adding to the problem.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I have noticed some comments linking back to the suffering of blacks as slaves. For those who are not aware, at one time there were more white slaves than colonists in America. Most of them came from Britain and Ireland. In fact, blacks cost 50 shillings while the whites were 5 shillings and given the most difficult labor and viewed as very expendable. Black slaves even would complain to their masters if they felt they were being treated too harshly and say in essence, "you're treating us like Irish"!

The fact that there were white slaves auctioned off naked, prodded, poked and had their teeth examined and families ripped apart just like the black slaves does not mean blacks were not treated terribly, but it does show that slavery was never about race, but class. Few whites owned slaves and many races did own white slaves including Indians and Blacks in America. They had to pass a law forbidding Indians and Blacks from owning "Christians" which was euphemism for whites. Why are we not taught the truth in schools? Might it be that if whites and blacks realized the truth then we might unite against these same slave masters who are from the same families that did this for a thousand years? White and black slaves worked the same plantations.

The British ended white slavery after they passed a law in 1839. Slavery was a way to deal with their poor whom they enslaved for the most minor of crimes or none at all in the case of the Irish. Cromwell's hatred of the Catholics was realized in the murder and enslavement of hundreds of thousands of Irish Catholics. So, for all the blacks who hate whites because of slavery maybe we have more in common than you realize. The elites fear our unity more than anything and thus seek to divide us at any and every opportunity!

"They were white and they were slaves"

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Baddguy

Personally, I thought she was referring to mentality based on this statement...

He now verbally attacks me and says, "You need to come back to the 'black side' and "you're crazy" because I hold firm to independent ways and beliefs.

Maybe that's why there's some confusion.

so whats a "black side" mentality? something stereotypical probably....

Since you claimed, in another post, to be "very dark", how about you explain it to the rest of us? What does it mean to you personally? Why do you feel the OP is wrong for refusing to bow to stereotypes, and be herself?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Well said, and true.

It should also be noted, that for a very long time, white traders refused the offers of slaves whilst trading in Africa and the trade routes. The African slave owners eventually persuaded the white traders to buy into their slave trade.

There were also such things as workhouses in the UK from the 1300s to 1930, essentially enslaving the poor as 'inmates' forced to work for their 'keep'.

Writing in 1806 Patrick Colquhoun commented that:
Poverty ... is a most necessary and indispensable ingredient in society, without which nations and communities could not exist in a state of civilisation. It is the lot of man – it is the source of wealth, since without poverty there would be no labour, and without labour there could be no riches, no refinement, no comfort, and no benefit to those who may be possessed of wealth.

Writing ten years after its introduction, Friedrich Engels described the motives of the authors of the 1834 New Poor Law as "to force the poor into the Procrustean bed of their preconceived notions. To do this they treated the poor with incredible savagery."

The irony is, that all people, are essentially now slaves; to money, to corporations, to governments and to those that they feel the need to ingratiate themselves to, in order for attainment of their own wealth and protection.

Society needs an overhaul, perhaps with the internet and global Truth, this will be possible.
edit on 16-7-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
The elites fear our unity more than anything and thus seek to divide us at any and every opportunity!

"They were white and they were slaves"

Now that is the truth.

I see the division being ramped up at unprecedented levels right now. Every division is being wedged and played for all its worth. Whether its racial, or on class lines or even medical lines, religious lines, sexual orientation lines, every division is being made wider. If only people would see that these lines of division are what makes us all victims of an overbearing control system that only ever seeks more control. We need to take back responsibility for our own lives and stop surrendering our power to those that seek to dominate EVERY aspect of our lives.
Stop playing their game, and lets play our own game instead, where we write the rules. The simple fact is we are all slaves(the 99%) some realise this, others dont. We are all slaves, we are enslaved mentally. Until we remove those mental shackles we are doomed to a fate we allow upon ourselves.
edit on 16-7-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
This thread proves majority of the OP defenders look at blacks as uneducated mass, thus congratulating the OP for her "freedom"... the fact is that is not the case.

OP messed up the entire story by connecting uneducated with black community... that's when SHTF... because some group saw her as being courageous without realizing she in fact blaming a entire culture as uneducated savages. While the people who saw OP for connecting black culture with uneducated are seen as "Anti-OP" in this thread

Then you actually have well known ATS racists jumping in and derailing the views of people criticizing the OP.

What all the "Anti-OP" people are saying is, she should not have connected > Black Culture with uneducated masses

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Well said, and true.

It should also be noted, that for a very long time, white traders refused the offers of slaves whilst trading in Africa and the trade routes. The African slave owners eventually persuaded the white traders to buy into their slave trade.

The irony is, that all people, are essentially now slaves; to money, to corporations, to governments and to those that they feel the need to ingratiate themselves to, in order for attainment of their own wealth and protection.

Society needs an overhaul, perhaps with the internet and global Truth, this will be possible.
edit on 16-7-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

haha said what i said at the same time...nice.

I think the internet has already done a great job, there is still a long way to go.
the internet can be our mental salvation, it can also be our shackles.

but the fact that bilderberg is now mainstream news, means that progress is being made.

the ramping up of the divisions in society shows that TPTB are scared and are pulling out all the stops.
But at the same time they are ramping up their control structure. These are rough times right now, I think we are at the crossroads.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I take ButterCookie's comment about the past having no baring on her means that she will not allow the chains of slavery, or anything else for that matter, hold her back as a PERSON.

I applaud her, because as a black man I can sit here, stew about the injustices in the world, the vile things that I have had done to me personally, and unequal opportunities in this land, or I can pick my head up and keep going to do what's best for me in a rational manner that brings harm to no one. I chose the latter option and I'm better off for it.

Some of you need to take notes. The girl is looking past you all with her forward way of thinking. We can talk about the past until we're blue in the face but if we as individuals are not engaging in practices and thought processes that better ourselves and move ourselves forward, we are doing nothing.

I don't like dealing with people who just sit there, whine, and would prefer to be # ed in the ass instead of pushing the weight off of them.

Oh, and the people who call her a house negro or an Uncle Tom are no better than the same racist whites that they hate and obsess over.

You're nothing but lower level thinking, hate spewing animals.

Buttercookie, ignore them. They will allow ignorance to keep them stuck in a pit of sulking and self pity, instead of taking the bull by the horns.

edit on 16-7-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
really?
you know I live in the inner city myself and have a mixed family, I don't see this hatred you speak of.

the whole world hates African Americans? That news to me.

I thought they hated white Christians
edit on 103131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

That deserves more than one star! Guess I will have to owe you one.

Seems clear to me that some people posting here do so with an agenda that has nothing to do with denying ignorance. The amusing part is that they don't realize how much they support what the OP actually states.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
*snip*
No, it will continue as long as parents, teachers, race-baiters and politicians keep teaching kids that there are still grave racial injustices going on against people of color! We’ve got to stop making excuses for our failures. Own it!!

edit on 16-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

That sums this up quite well! Excellent points in your posts overall here, too.

BTW, love the new avatar! Sam Elliot rocks!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
Would anyone, especially the people that deeply disagree with my stance on this issue, like to attempt to deconstruct my argument regarding slavery? I stated, to a poster, that if slavery had any type of effect of modern day blacks, we should have seen it in the blacks that were closer to that era. Yet we don't, because this is another liberal-given excuse for blacks to play 'victim' for life.

This just confirms my earlier point. How can you be an "educated Black Women" who is supposedly "socially conscious" and not understand how the effects of slavery live on today? Did you grow up in the Hampton's or Beverly Hills? And what do you mean "we should of seen it in blacks that were closer to that era"? Do you have any knowledge of Black History? Have you never heard of the Willie Lynch Syndrome?

I know this will just fall on deaf ears, but here is a brief synopsis of what you, as a self proclaimed "educated Black Women" who 'understands' her history, should know:

• For over 350 years, Blacks were systematically broken down, psychologically and physically. They were brutally beaten and forced to give up their native language, culture, cuisine, spirituality and identity. They were over worked, and forced to reside in living quarters of up to 10 people for every 14' x 14' shack. People literally had to sleep on top of each other. They were not allowed to remain intact as families, babies were taking from their mother by the age of 6 months, and men and women who were couples were intentionally divided and sold to separate plantations.

• Skip forward to the abolition of slavery, many former slaves migrated to the North, while many others remained working on the Southern plantations as indentured servants. By this time, after 14+ generations, both the plantation owners (masters) and workers (slaves) became dependent upon each other. The owners no longer knew how to tend to their crops, fix and maintain their household, and do other basic essentials. The former slaves knew nothing but this life, and so were equally dependent on the plantation.

Those who migrated to the North faced tremendously adverse reactions by the White's. They were forced to live in area's with little to no infrastructure, in abandoned buildings and abandoned neighborhoods. They couldn't use "public" faculties, use "public" transportation, or even shop at most businesses (ie. grocery and clothing stores). Yet they were forced to pay the same amount of taxes as the Whites. They weren't allowed to go to "public" schools, and most received nothing more than the equivalent of a 5th grade education from private organizations funded mostly by the owners of industries that sought to employ the parents to low-wage jobs.

(A little known, or at least spoken, fact is that the Civil War was less about equal rights and the ending of slavery for humanitarian causes, and more about the North in dire need of a cheap work force to grow their own industries.)

• As the Northern industries grew, there was a relative amount of prosperity in the Black Communities which evolved into the era we know as the Harlem Renaissance. This boom in Black Culture spread across the North and Midwest, resulting in some Black families being able to move into relatively comfortable neighborhoods. However, income and education disparities remained as they were. Adults worked 100 hour weeks in factory's, while kids went to very poor schools where there were upwards of 50 kids to every class. This renaissance era only lasted for just over a decade before things began to fall apart, again.

• As Jim Crow laws began to make their way to the North, zoning laws restricted Black families housing options, banks refused to lend money, employer discrimination grew, and Black's were restricted from forming Unions, like the Whites, to protect against ever-exploitative owners of industry. As a result, crime, poverty and homelessness skyrocketed in Black communities. In response, Roosevelt's "New Deal" began instituting "subsidized housing", known as the "projects", across America.

• As we all know, segregation in the North did not end until the 60's. Less than three generations ago, Blacks were not considered legitimate citizens of the US. While education began to see a turn for the better, income disparities grew worse as industries began to close, creating "dead zones" within northern cities. The leaders of the Black community who sought to bring about positive change were conspired against by the gov with COINTELPRO, and eventually were assassinated. After the Vietnam War, drugs flooded the streets and gangs took form. Since then, income and education disparities have only widened. 56% of Blacks drop out of school by the 10th grade. 94% don't go to college. 54% of Black males are in the judicial system...

I don't have any more characters, but this is just a historical account of Black America's plight. Don't under mind it!
edit on 16-7-2013 by openlocks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
*snip*

Those claiming we all have an equal opportunity are disregarding the actual personal cultural matrix we live in.

Freedom is an illusion.

So, more of the, "If you are white, you get whatever you want." mentality? Really? Sorry, but that's a CROCK. My dad worked hard all his life, to provide for us, and out of three kids, the only one that got a degree was the one that got a scholarship. No one gave us money for our skin color. No one gave us free land for it. No one said we could have this or that job because we were a certain color, even if someone else was more qualified. Every car I owned, I bought myself. My grandfather owned a restaurant during the depression, but I don't own a business. He bought his house with CASH, no loan, but we can't do that. There is no "white privilege". It simply doesn't exist. If it did, my entire extended family would not be working class people, many of whom struggle to get by.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Seriously, the world has gone mad. Must work outlandish hours just to survive, forget about saving for a car, house, and retirement. My grandparents lived in a chicken coop for a few years at the farm they worked at, and was able to save to buy a house straight up. Yeah good luck doing that these days.......

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Beyond mad! These days, unless you come from big money, you almost can't have big money, unless you are successful in a sport or entertainment, and that is simply working to control the masses. Look at the way many argue even in a thread like this. A lot actually claim that seeing a problem and moving past is is wrong! Nope, gotta stay in the mold! It's like Brave New World thinking, done through the media instead of other methods. Maybe more people need to read that one. Read and learn and NOT allow themselves to be pushed into the mold.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by olaru12
*snip*

Those claiming we all have an equal opportunity are disregarding the actual personal cultural matrix we live in.

Freedom is an illusion.

So, more of the, "If you are white, you get whatever you want." mentality? Really? Sorry, but that's a CROCK. My dad worked hard all his life, to provide for us, and out of three kids, the only one that got a degree was the one that got a scholarship. No one gave us money for our skin color. No one gave us free land for it. No one said we could have this or that job because we were a certain color, even if someone else was more qualified. Every car I owned, I bought myself. My grandfather owned a restaurant during the depression, but I don't own a business. He bought his house with CASH, no loan, but we can't do that. There is no "white privilege". It simply doesn't exist. If it did, my entire extended family would not be working class people, many of whom struggle to get by.

While you are mostly right, there is such a thing as white privilege. I have seen it with my own eyes, being white ,white people speak freely around me. I have been employed at places where they didnt employ foreigners. And this is in modern multi cultural london.
Our current perceived enemy that we are being told to kick is the eastern europeans, stealing all our housing and jobs and costing a fortune in healthcare, or those evil muslims that seek to destroy our freedom, while at the same time we invade their countries and take their bid for freedom away.

We are being played like a musical instrument, What I dislike the most is how quick people are to blame everyone but themselves for allowing themselves to be treated like this by the people they put their hopes in to save them.
Only in unity is true power wrestled from the egotistical, meglomaniacal, sociopathic, psychopathic, narcissistic minority that pull all the strings for the rest of us.
But we currently willingly hand over our responsibility to the very same fruitcakes and wonder why we are the victims.

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join