It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
lucid dreams, I don't think she ever said she needed to LEAVE her culture. or did I miss that??
edit on 16-7-2013 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy
my point to the OP is that this individual mindset is what hurts the BC....

But she is a individual ! Why does she have to serve the black community? Im white I dont serve the the white community

she made it out the barrel and kicked it along with the other black people crabs down the hill...why cant she go back and try to help other black people crabs get out or show them the way???

Why? the "way" is there for anyone to see. Stay in school, work hard, stay clear of drugs and gangs and dont let race hold you back.

She has made a success of her life and that success is for her to choose what to do with it like anyone else.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by crazyewok

I think we are finally agreeing on things. agrreed up to everything until this...

TThe OP has realized that and broken from the trap.

OP did not do that, the OP specifically states she had to LEAVE her culture to be successful, so are you saying those 50% of the successful ones had to leave their culture as well?

It definitely feels like she left the pond then proceed to piss in the pond.

I disagree, i think its more that she hasnt been supported by those closest to her in whatever decisions she has decided to make with her life.

And if culture is heritage? as a white man do i have to embrace the crimes of my race in the past to remain a part of the "white community". do i have to condone conquering of others? stealing the worlds resources?
should i be in the middle east killing muslims? if i disagree with that am i pissing on my "white community"?

am i not entitled to examine my ancestors and peers to learn from their mistakes instead of perpetuating them?

and the only way for me to be successful is to abandon my poor working class culture that i grew up with?

when i hear groups of white people being racist am i supposed to join them, because criticising them would be pissing on my fellow white people?

do you get my point?

maybe i should be a white racist stuck in poverty because that is the society i grew up in?
I beg to differ, I like to be different, i dont like to be pigeonholed or labelled, and above all, i like to think for myself.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by knoxie
lucid dreams, I don't think she ever said she needed to LEAVE her culture. or did I miss that??

She listed everything that is black. Okay.

She listed how she was different and didn't want to follow it. Awesome, unique is better.

The she addressed "i became successful and got degrees because i was not following black culture".. she pretty much bashed the entire black culture for its few bad traits.. what other culture is 100% perfect?

I would refine the culture, not get on high horse then bash it.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by knoxie

She listed everything that is black. Okay.

She listed how she was different and didn't want to follow it. Awesome, unique is better.

The she addressed "i became successful and got degrees because i was not following black culture".. she pretty much bashed the entire black culture for its few bad traits.. what other culture is 100% perfect?

I would refine the culture, not get on high horse then bash it.

OK step one define black culture, then define white culture, then we can all work to refine them both.
Are we talking african culture, west indian culture, aboriginal culture, or american culture?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Im white I dont serve the the white community

but you dont denounce them..get on ATS and praise how your brave for being different and how you had to get out

Why? the "way" is there for anyone to see. Stay in school, work hard, stay clear of drugs and gangs and dont let race hold you back.

Why because she is a role model that's why..why not help other young girls facing the same situation??dont you see she just adding to the cycle? how will others learn they are wrong if you don't correct them???? ..and people don't get anywhere in life completely on their own..she said she had a close relationship with her father up until the end Zimmerman trail...wasn't that like yesterday??? her problem might be something deeper...could be self hate..could be...maybe she doesn't want to be identified as black..i dunno...but why run away from the problem?
edit on 16-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Im white I dont serve the the white community

but you dont denounce them..get on ATS and praise how your brave for being different

Why because she is a role model that's why..why not help other young girls facing the same situation??dont you see she just adding to the cycle? how will others learn they are wrong if you don't correct them???? ..and people don't get anywhere in life completely on their own..she said she had a close relationship with her father up until the end Zimmerman trail...wasn't that like yesterday??? her problem might be something deeper...could be self hate..could be...

I have been critical of some of your posts, all the while i realise that you do have a point, i have just been waiting for you to articulate it a little better. I think this post does just that.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

but you dont denounce them..get on ATS and praise how your brave for being different

No cause people are denouceing whites all the time

Actually scrape that I have denounced low white culture in essays I have written for history. I denounce NAZIs and white supremists on here. I

The problem is if you denounce parts of black culture you automaticaly become raceist

edit on 16-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

You cannot help people that do not want to be helped though. It only brings you under fire to do so. I help those that want it, I do not go around trying to help those that don't want it. It brings scorn and hatred.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

ATS has been helping me learn to articulate better! still need work

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

you can help by setting a good example and enduring....i do it all the time...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

reply to post by TKDRL

Right. And unfortuantely my good examples were not accepted by many of my family and peers, and do the withdrew from me.

Remember, this is the focal point of the thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

reply to post by OneManArmy

ATS has been helping me learn to articulate better! still need work

You articulated your position very well! You made some people THINK and that process frightened them and they attacked you.

It's a common occurrence here on ATS.

Comfort zones are prized possessions and must be defended at all costs.

edit on 16-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

from what i read it felt more like "they don't except me for who i am so im done with them" and everybody is like "hey you dont need them white america will take you"

but if you say im wrong then i understand....

i

link   
It was a good discussion folks, i believe everything i can say to the subject has been said!

Good luck to OP on whatever she does.

See y'all around!

/bow*

link   
reply to post by Baddguy

You are lucky then. Maybe the community you are part of is more accepting. When it gets to the point that everyone around you is making disparaging remarks, trying to bring you back down to their level, it is a good idea to remove these people from your life.

Almost every self improvement book I have read, it is one of the important key points. Peers always dragging you down are counterproductive. Make fun of you for dressing more spiffy, for not taking part in negative conversations, or god forbid taking an opposing stand. It is draining to always have to deal with negative people.

link   

from what i read it felt more like "they don't except me for who i am so im done with them" and everybody is like "hey you dont need them white america will take you"

Right. That's because you are looking at it through racist eyes.

That was not the point made at all in the OP.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

reply to post by TKDRL

Right. And unfortuantely my good examples were not accepted by many of my family and peers, and do the withdrew from me.

Remember, this is the focal point of the thread.

I faced exactly the same thing when i try to tell people that 911 was an inside job.
Or when i tell people that our govt doesnt have our best interests at heart.
Or when i say that the MSM lies to us and is a voice of propaganda for politicians and industry.

like someone already said... "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink"

what i learned is that you cannot force anyone to believe anything, we each have our own version of the truth, if they would like to learn from you they will, you cant ram anything down anyones throats.
and in the immortal words of jack nicholson.."the truth?.....YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH"

some people really cant, some people choose ignorance, we all have to deal with that.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Right. That's because you are looking at it through racist eyes.

but i dont have racist eyes...that hurt girl

That was not the point made at all in the OP.

so clarify..what is this all about??? your need to express how different you are from the BC?? why??

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

from what i read it felt more like "they don't except me for who i am so im done with them"

And why not?

She meant to cave in and go againts what SHE wants to please the "black Community"

I say if they dont like stuff them!

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join