It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by ButterCookie

Lets look at this Hypothesis. If black weren't slaves, would you think the average education and business owned by black population would be higher now? would they have less crime rate, rebel less against "the man"?

im pretty sure the fruit of slavery and the effect of slavery can be observed in this time(denying this is ignorance). Only problem then and now is people are holding back their hatred more(or try to).

Only hope i have is in this future generation, but you never know how many parents will "build" their kids to their mindsets.

Racism will live on until all the babies are born with some mixed beige colour.

You see, that only pertains to the blacks of ThAT generation. Thaey were the ones being deprived because of fundamentals of slavery- no freedom, no education. Slavery was outlawed in 1865 with the Emancipation Proclamation, so anyone directly affected by that has died off.

Education is not being witheld from anyone in 2013.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Let's put this into perspective, if you believe this is really about Zimmerman, please go watch a movie or something.

Do people get more upset that this is happening, or do they get more upset that they know about it?

If you understand that statement, maybe there is hope.

We also don't get to hear what EVERYONE says ALL the TIME. Since IF WE DID, we'd BE just as PISSED OFF.

So are you all really upset at the verdict, or are you caught up in a Government Trolling episode?

Yes, you've all been trolled.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Lets look at this Hypothesis. If black weren't slaves, would you think the average education and business owned by black population would be higher now?
No…the black population in America would likely be very small.

would they have less crime rate, rebel less against "the man"?
Yes…there would be no chip on their shoulder for things that happened to their great, great, great, great grandparents.

im pretty sure the fruit of slavery and the effect of slavery can be observed in this time(denying this is ignorance). Only problem then and now is people are holding back their hatred more(or try to).
I don’t deny this resentment exists….how can anyone? The thing that seems to escape many blacks is that slavery didn’t happen to you!! You were born in a time of equal rights and have the same advantage as everyone else. Why be angry at ‘the man’ over thing that dead people did to other dead people long before our existence??

Only hope i have is in this future generation, but you never know how many parents will "build" their kids to their mindsets.

Racism will live on until all the babies are born with some mixed beige colour.

No, it will continue as long as parents, teachers, race-baiters and politicians keep teaching kids that there are still grave racial injustices going on against people of color! We’ve got to stop making excuses for our failures. Own it!!

edit on 16-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I am a white man .My and my girlfriend is black .Up untill yesterday she refusied to watch even one day of the trial.
Sitting in the parking lot talking she says out of the blue the guy ((whats his name teh hispanic guy) is guilty of murder and aske if i aggreee . I say I havent watched any of the trial nore have access to any evedence so I cant answer that question.
She went totaly Blistic Finly I get out of the car but stop and say back through teh window are you sure you want to brake us up over this? She stops calms down finly . nd i tell her listen I dont care if theres a Race war in this town if we are toghter we are toghter I want you But will not be draw into racel debates . And will not say this just because taht what you want me to say.
well she seamed ok we talked a few hours but im left wondering if shes going to shwo up today as she said she would. If she brakes this off Ill be sad as she has one of the best personialtys I have ever seen and we could make such a great life toghter if we tryed.
Why am I sharing this? well who is getting hert here who is lousing oppertuinetys here? me? im white her shes black we both louse. Finly to all the blacks if you feel the only thing that will make you feal better is to destroy whites well the earth will be a mighty quiet place and race wars will be over we will all be dead .
and maybe this is the ONLY solution for the human race Self destroction after all your not so special im sure we white people can hate other whites enogh to have wars as well and im sure if whites didnt excist blacks would find some other race to fight .
personialy it seams the human race is on the edge of self anilation .so really if we cant grow lets just finish this alest then maybe the world will finly be at peace when man is goin

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

if your going to deny the effects slavery still has today then you dont really wnat to learn about the "black community" its that simple... you keep bringing up the Reconstruction era...did blacks start the reconstruction era or just subject to it...that same for civil rights.....were blacks not still segregated until late 60's?????? yes blacks did well for them selves during that time...why?? because the worked TOGETHER...

Yes, your right they did work together. But that was because they had to deal with segregation. You had black schools, black businesses, etc because of segregation, it's not like they had a choice. However after the 60s when the Government forced segregation that's when the progress that was made within the black community was lost (the aforementioned schools and businesses). That's when the black community started to back track.

Thomas Sowell brings up an excellent point in regards to this. I recommend everyone listen to a few of talking his points on Youtube. He is a conservative. Our predecessors were closer, alot closer to Jim Crow segregation and blatant racism, yet the diaspora that effects blacks now (aversion to education, life direction aka thug mentality in the culture, and also self expression outside the norm) were not present then as compared to now.

Blacks back then jumped at the chance not only to better themselves but their children, unlike now. That's why you had a drastic reduction in rates of illiteracy. It's why you had the black businesses. And now unless your looking to be the next one hit wonder that's gonna be the music industries meal ticket or a sports athlete in the "black sports", then your goals are seen as unrealistic dreams out of the reach of the poor black man because that's what they've been taught. Like when Serena Williams first appeared, you had black folks forcing their kids into tennis. Tennis. Because those parents wanted their kid to play tennis to make the big bucks. Never mind that you can reach the same goal through education or entrepreneurship. Two very things which aren't taught within the community. Oh yes, they are stressed somewhat. But they aren't pitched as goals to those that would benefit the most from it, like the working poor. And conversely if your line of work lies outside of the norm, then there is an unspoken stereotype that just because your not like me and think like me, then your somehow a sell out, an Uncle Tom because.. how dare you try to be different.

The problem is that yes, money does equal economic freedom because it's less time you have to bust your ass for that dollar and more time spent working towards your dreams. But black folks today make it seem that suddenly being rich will suddenly solve problems when it won't. Anyone watch that episode of the Chappell Show when black folks got reparation? He hit the nail on the head. The issues are deeper that, it's a mentality, a state of mind. It is a matter of what your doing and why you are doing it. Most don't want to admit that they want immediate results (which is what they are trying to get) rather than having to work for the same results. Those that do make the sacrifice of hard work and focusing on their own goals are ostracized because it's an affront to what others been taught in America, both from their parents and in school.

"You are black and are unable to help yourself so let me help you. But you have to do what i say when i say it". That's what's being pitched by our government to black folks since the days of Lydon B. Johnson.

I will close with this. I find it amazing the most of the same issues discussed by likes of DuBois are the same issues black folks face today. He had to deal with real in your face racism. Not perceived slights that leave you shaking your head.

And yes black people do have a culture. It was defined during the Harlem Renaissance.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I stated, to a poster, that if slavery had any type of effect of modern day blacks, we should have seen it in the blacks that were closer to that era. Yet we don't, because this is another liberal-given excuse for blacks to play 'victim' for life.

I'd love to argue with you but I tend to agree with almost everything you post.

I agree with this statement, too. If there isn't a systematic effort to foster this belief that slavery is the cause of all the issues in the black community then someone please explain the term "white guilt". Where did that come from if we weren't conditioned to feel guilty for things that happened many generations ago?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

Then don't. Your letting that one experience cloud your judgement about the world. The carribean and latin america are known for their racial biases. Your applying that same logic to everywhere when it's just wrong.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

no...that one experience was one of many...just chill don't try to tell me about my experiences...if you dont see it..you dont see it...simple

The carribean and latin america are known for their racial biases.

but you try and tell me earlier that you talk to people from all over and you dont see it....

edit on 16-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

you are correct..and my main point to the OP...teamwork...not withdrawl...but as i stated..she is not oblgated to help anyone....like i explained early on in the thread...i revived some of the same questions and insults from the BC but i didn't withdraw myself i sought to help others "get like me" so to say..

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Education is not being witheld from anyone in 2013

Right? but on your opening page you said you are leaving the herd(aka black culture) because they are anti-education. Why did you feel the need to "leave" to get education? Simple fact is, education is open to anyone.

When i say black culture i don;t mean some small percentage that thing hip pip and violence is cool.

My grandpa told me to stay away from black kids, because they are bad and do drugs, sadly growing up with them taught me much more than what my stereotypical grandparent thought.... Most of them are not stupid and dangerous like the media wants you to think.. do i believe black crime is higher than other minorities? of course, but im not denying other minorities don't do crime.

Many issues make people who they are, sadly slavery played a role in the attitude of black men today.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy

you are correct..and my main point to the OP...teamwork...not withdrawl...but as i stated..she is not oblgated to help anyone....like i explained early on in the thread...i revived some of the same questions and insults from the BC but i didn't withdraw myself i sought to help others "get like me" so to say..

There was no 'withdrawal' from black people on my part.

I was the one being withdrawn from.

And that is because I 'withdrew' from the down-trodden, victim mentality, and I think independently. This is the basis of the OP.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The thing that seems to escape many blacks is that slavery didn’t happen to you!!

What if your Grandpa struck gold and was a millionaire and your parents had good business idea... what are the chances that your are still or close to a millionaire?

What If your grandpa was a physicists, and wanted to his children to be a scientist, encouraged it, then your parents did that to you to?

What if your grandpa was not given education, told to he would be punished for learning, raised children that are illiterate, im properly taken care of, no money for school, hated for skin colour... then they gave birth to more children with that mindset...of being oppressed and hated.... and viola! we have the mindset of 2013!

Obviously, this is not all of them, but i can understand if they feel like this. This mindset will go away.. but time is the only answer. or a global catastrophe!

My parents were heavily disciplined when they were young, they disciplined me when i was young.. what are the chances my discipline of my kids would be more than just "Go to your room!"?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Wow this thread has really progressed from yesterday, doesnt the post count in this thread show how much this conversation needs to be had?

On the subject of slavery(although Im not sure what that has to do with the OP)...

Everyone enjoying the economic wealth of countries like Holland, UK, and USA is directly a result of the wealth gained on the back of the blood and sweat of slavery. The empires were built on slavery, slavery creates an unfair advantage vs those countries that pay a fair wage,
The egyptian empire...built on slavery, the roman empire.. built on slavery... the british empire...built on slavery. can anyone see a pattern here?

The truth as hard as it might be to take, is that everyone living in the UK and USA is directly benefiting from the gains made by slavery.
Am I saying slavery is a good thing, hell no, its still going on today. But I am saying we are all benefiting from it.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
lucid dreams, bc replied to you back on page 25, maybe you didn't see it...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

There was no 'withdrawal' from black people on my part. I was the one being withdrawn from.

so your saying that you and the BC withdrew from each other???

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Many issues make people who they are, sadly slavery played a role in the attitude of black men today.

Yeah slavery happend....

So what?

What am is supossed to do about it?

The people who perpertrated it have been dead nearly 200 years. You want me to accept responsiblity for them? Cause damed if I will do that.

You want special treatment and more rights? Cause that flys in the face of equality and damed if I will be apart of that.

You want reperations? So who is going to pay? Im not parting with a penny.

Fact its slavery happend, its over, get over it and push forward and rebuild.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

What if your grandpa was not given education, told to he would be punished for learning, raised children that are illiterate, im properly taken care of, no money for school, hated for skin colour... then they gave birth to more children with that mindset...of being oppressed and hated.... and viola! we have the mindset of 2013!

So?

No restrictions exist in 2013. Stay in school do well and get a job. Dont play the victim card or worse go into crime.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by knoxie
lucid dreams, bc replied to you back on page 25, maybe you didn't see it...

You mean this?

I merely pointed out the fact that it is not encouraged within lots of blacks families.

That is still generalizing. example... Skin Type A is not racist but most of them are. this example i pretty much said they are racist no matter how i sugarcoated it with using words like "some" and "most"

I never heard any black parents tell their kids "hey boy, you better not get no degree, you black, you stay stupid".. don't give me this... no parents do this.. there might be few but that is in all races, not just black.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Personal responsibility is free.

Work ethic is free.

Public education is free.

There are many forms of free public assistance as well.

There is no excuse for the past several generations not to be successful. Look how many Americans came from ghettos and became successful before our time. They didn’t have any special opportunities that the rest of us don’t have today! We live in a free society and every tool necessary to rise from poverty is available to ALL OF US!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

should the Jews just forget about the Holocaust because i didn't do it??..so why are they always talking about it?? why are they always comparing?

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join