It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

because whoever person or people said she was acting white..which means they view her as a black girl, part of their community, acting abnormal..no one said she cant do this or that because she is NOT black but because she IS black .....she left..she even stated her father wanted her to "come back to the black side"
edit on 16-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

HER QUOTE

I am definitely not going to run back to the herd; in fact, whenever I suspect that I am engaging in herd-like activity, I have to stop and check myself.

or did we miss this?
edit on 16-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

I'm sorry, can you rephrase that? I didn't understand what you were saying, with the exception about the "herd".

Her father was the one who told her that he didn't hang out with Uncle Toms. He wanted her to think the same way he did if they were going to spend time together and she refused to be a part of that "herd" type of mentality, so I don't know what your objection to it is.

Are you suggesting that the OP should go back to behaving like her father to gain acceptance from him?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Sounds like a 'people' thing.

I am not black, but grew up in Scotland, never had much of a Scottish accent, was Christian as a child (Jesus being my hero) and into being educated, fascinated by nature, art and science in a major way. Most of the other kids weren't like this at all. Most were street wise, rude and didn't give a damn about nature, art or religion.

Despite being not an average kid there, I grew up with lots of friends and part of a pretty cool bunch of people, mostly. I would be asked to swear sometimes for the amusement factor, be it because of my accent or sounding perhaps 'posher' / squarer than average.

Often I was mocked in such ways as ''swallowed a dictionary'' or ''bible basher'' or ''brainbox'' etc. it never bothered me, still doesn't, I see it as others failure for feeling the need to mock.

I moved from Scotland as a teenager to England and moved around a bit, settled mostly in England and whenever in Scotland visiting, sometimes was again mocked for being ''too English'' etc.

I never got into Scottish culture much, not that there is much of an independent culture to speak of, not ever into the food or even feeling particularly affiliated to anything Scottish.

However Scottish people are often very insular in that being accepted and being Scottish requires certain criteria. Such as not liking the English or Americans, claiming superiority, a whole plethora of fictitious Braveheart type romantic notions that sways far from the truth.

I prefer facts. Which makes me different.Due to not buying into such 'Braveheart' notions, a Scottish accent or using Scottish words, meant I was not accepted as part of certain herd mentality. I still have family and friends there but I realise that some view me as not part of a certain national identity.

I guess it is perhaps a facet of peoples who have clung to injustices or perceived injustices, that they see others as not conforming to their particular stereotype or group hatred, as being too different and hence not accepted.

I guess when people realise that having opinions isn't giving up ones identity or culture, there might be real progress in humanities ability to accept others as they are, whichever colour or culture. It is the attachment of group opinions from races / religions / groups, in society, that are sometimes conflicting, that causes such things as racism and religious hatred.

The fact that humanity is also enduring an identity crisis of sorts currently, due to the globalised mixing of cultures, who's ethics and beliefs often oppose each other, has brought to the surface, tensions which were simmering all along.

Is there an answer to this? A global ethic? Would be nice to have everyone singing from the same song sheet.

edit on 16-7-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

lets keep it simple... is shes not running back to the herd (black community)..that she left....her father wants her to come back..to the black side he feels that she left..its very simple to see she left if you read what she wrote...

Are you suggesting that the OP should go back to behaving like her father to gain acceptance from him?

no...im suggesting that she realize what you all are truly or subconsciously congratulating her for...which is leaving the black community...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Thank you OP for your wonderfully articulate post. I have a question. Do you feel that the economic/income level or education level of either an individual or the overall community contributes to racism? I live in an area that has become very diverse racially in the past 20 years, but economically and educationally the majority of people are overall, pretty much the same. There appears to be very little racism in our area [20,000 people], or I should say, very few racist acts in our area [because who knows what racist thoughts might lurk in someone's head]. I love my current Black, Hispanic, Asian and Middle Eastern neighbors just as much as I loved my all-White neighbors as a child many, many years ago. The majority drive relatively the same level of car, economically speaking, live in similar types of houses or apartments, have completed high school with many families having at least 1 parent with at least 1 college degree, etc. You'll hear mostly English with some Spanish spoken, and some broken English along with a few other languages from those born in other countries. Is it that we're all similar middle-class citizens economically and educationally that contributes to the lower racism in our area?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy

lets keep it simple... is shes not running back to the herd (black community)..that she left....her father wants her to come back..to the black side he feels that she left..its very simple to see she left if you read what she wrote...

no...im suggesting that she realize what you all are truly or subconsciously congratulating her for...which is leaving the black community...

Or the "black community" left her? At least in a philosophical way?
Or she finds value in being an individual rather than just another lemming?
Or she believes that individuals should be individuals and not be a mindless member of one group or another?

As MLK said, he had a dream that his children be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin. Looks like the "black community" are doing exactly what MLK rejected--demanding her skin color determine the content of her character.

I would congratulate her for being an individual and thinking for herself.
edit on 16-7-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Deetermined[

If blacks want equality then there should not be a "black Community" nor should there be a "white community" only a American or in my a case a British community.
edit on 16-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

Can you give me your definition of what the "black side" is?

Can you help me understand why the black community is referred to as a herd in the first place?

Is this a physical place or a mentality we're talking about?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

i agree but we dont live in that type of world..and this post proves it

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

i agree but we dont live in that type of world..and this post proves it

Not we dont.

But if races segregate each other off and demand special treatment over the other ect Then there will never be a end to raceism and we may as well just not bother with civil rights.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Baddguy

Can you give me your definition of what the "black side" is?

Can you help me understand why the black community is referred to as a herd in the first place?

Is this a physical place or a mentality we're talking about?

Ask her father what the "black side" is...

Ask her why she referred to the black community as a herd

lets ask her..

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

listen..i don't give a damn about civil rights... all i care about is for people to be viewed as equals...and my question to the world is why are people with darker skin the most hated on in the world?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

Personally, I thought she was referring to mentality based on this statement...

He now verbally attacks me and says, "You need to come back to the 'black side' and "you're crazy" because I hold firm to independent ways and beliefs.

Maybe that's why there's some confusion.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

and my question to the world is why are people with darker skin the most hated on in the world?

Good question.

Could it be that they're the ones trying the hardest to separate themselves from the rest of humanity with their history and culture? Serious question.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

listen..i don't give a damn about civil rights... all i care about is for people to be viewed as equals...and my question to the world is why are people with darker skin the most hated on in the world?

There not at least round here. Not the ones that have adopted wetsern culture and its ways and have buckled down and worked hard.

The hatred is at the gangbangers and ones with entilement issues who use there skin colour as a excuse for failure.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Baddguy

Personally, I thought she was referring to mentality based on this statement...

He now verbally attacks me and says, "You need to come back to the 'black side' and "you're crazy" because I hold firm to independent ways and beliefs.

Maybe that's why there's some confusion.

so whats a "black side" mentality? something stereotypical probably....

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This thread proves majority of the OP defenders look at blacks as uneducated mass, thus congratulating the OP for her "freedom"... the fact is that is not the case.

OP messed up the entire story by connecting uneducated with black community... that's when SHTF... because some group saw her as being courageous without realizing she in fact blaming a entire culture as uneducated savages. While the people who saw OP for connecting black culture with uneducated are seen as "Anti-OP" in this thread

Then you actually have well known ATS racists jumping in and derailing the views of people criticizing the OP.

What all the "Anti-OP" people are saying is, she should not have connected > Black Culture with uneducated masses

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

you can call me racist, I'll call you ignorant.

We are just teaching our children and the future that if you don't like it, claim it was racist.

We also live in a world where people would rather stand up to one man who they believe to be racist, when our WHOLE GOVERNMENT STRIPS AWAY THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS ONE BY ONE and we are more concerned with one man?

This is why Court cases shouldn't be publized, then they cannot be used against the masses as a distraction tactic in efforts to blind the American people from what is REALLY going on.

If we continue to say the Public knows Justice better than the Justice system, than we deserve what is coming.

Our society is lost, and if all we get from this issue is racism in the justice system, than we are more messed up then Jessie Jackson, Al sharpton, Obama, Steve cobert, and Bono will ever be able to calm down, we're just evil.
edit on 16-7-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: you can call me racist, I'll call you ignorant.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

That's what I was hoping you could tell me.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Not all Black culture is uneducated or bad.

But like "white culture" there is also a uneducated, raceist section. I call it "low black culture". Its the part thats connected to gangs,violence, dropping out of school, drugs, rap and hatred of "whitey".

And like in the 50's and 60's were a lot of whites were involved in "low white culture" I think alot of Blacks are involved now with alot of the negative aspects of black culture.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join