It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by roberthsiddelljr

I think that Buttercookie and many black women that I personaly know prove you extremely wrong in your generalization.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElPolloPlomero
reply to post by whyamIhere

Wow, quick to jump on me and my whole 10 posts. You're a winner. You also missed the point I was trying to make. Reading comprehension skills are unnecessary, I guess. Or is it because I brought to light the plight of the Mexican and the Middle Eastern instead of picking a side in the white/black argument? Growing up I've been the victim of racism from whites and blacks. They're both equally as racist and will never fix it because they're too busy calling each other racist.
edit on 15-7-2013 by ElPolloPlomero because: (no reason given)

So your answer for being treated in a racist manner is to be racist yourself?

Sheesh, that makes 11.....Waiting for anything that makes sense.
edit on 15-7-2013 by whyamIhere because: punctuation

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Pretty said read.

Its said this happens in the western world.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

So, I'm a racist for calling other people racist? How does that even make sense?

You're counting my posts as if it matters...what is your issue?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ElPolloPlomero

Wow you must have gotten beat up a lot in the Marines.My grumpy tanker buddy SURE would have done it tf you said that kind of garbage around him.He HATES the fact that people ride that racial wagon. He married a Russian lady so I guess he may know something you don't.
It's about someone else,not just you or yours.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I wonder why there is prejudice against Blacks. I guess it is because other minorities do not riot, do not destroy their own homes, do not believe others owe them a living, do not wear clothing that would suggest they are criminals. When was the last time you were robbed by a Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, East Indian, Bosnian, or Mexican American.

I found it refreshing yesterday when the Black Lawyers and race baiters on MSNBC jumped on a well dressed articulate person who was black from Georgia that would not accept being classified with them as an African American, he just looked at them and told them he was an American. I think that said it all for me. He was the first person who understood the facts and the law, and was critical of the NAACP and the militant black reporters and lawyers on that program.

I think most people do not recognize race when people view themselves as American's instead of a "something American" first. I guess we should start calling ourselves something special like these black groups do; maybe we should be German Americans, Irish Americans, Italian Americans but I think not . . . I think the comment of this older gentlemen from the South said it all for me, He was an AMERICAN! He was Right!

These race baiters like Sharpton & other guests on MSNBC who get broadcast time, believe they are abused and discriminated against, well all of our ancestors were were criticized when they arrived, but they adapted, they did not continue to perpetuate a way of life where many relied upon their government to feed, house, and cloth them. Ridiculing other ethnic groups is an American Trait the problem here is that this group decided to not better themselves, but whine like puppy dogs.

There is not a black kid in this country who if they successfully finish high school and learn something there, they will get a free ride in almost any University of their choice. Why because they are at the top of the list, but that is not good enough, it is much easier to join a group of thugs and waste the opportunity of having our government give them priority over any non black citizen.

These people have segregated themselves from the general population in order to perpetuate their welfare state. Fortunatly like the young lady who posted this subject most working people and educated people are readily accepted by other races, once it is understood they are Americans, not American Something's. John

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Faust100f

That is what Political Correctness gives us all,devisive, pretty lies to placate ALL groups( GOD I hate the word politic) enabling masks to become their "true" face when in fact we are all quite similar and only as special as WE make ourselves.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

It's probably not my place to say so, because I'm white and this will somehow be misconstrued, but I would like to applaud you for not only going your own way and not following preconceived notions of "how things should be" but for also being strong even against those you love like family. Sometimes, the issue is a "generational" thing but often times those "generational" concepts are passed on like some sort of genetic disease. I myself have a step grandfather who is guilty of throwing around the occasional racist slang. I don't know if he actually is racist or if he just says stuff like that to get a rise out of me or because he thinks it's funny and he's old, but either way I've never carried those thoughts/feelings around with me because it wasn't prudent to. It wasn't going to help me or anyone else around me. From time to time I would question if that was the right line of thinking when placed in situations where I was the target of racism, but considering the few times it occured where it was blatently obvious I just never could put myself in that racisit mindset. I didn't see a point to it.

I've been discriminated against, even lost a friend because I was white and it wasn't cool that he was a black guy hanging out with a white guy...basically he faced the same issue you are facing right now, but he chose to be part of the crowd instead of being a stronger individual. Thank you for not being like that. We will make a difference, one action at a time.

edit on 15-7-2013 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Great thread OP, love your initial post. I sometimes wish more in the 'white community' would dare to be different. It's sad to me and pretty maddening actually to feel like I'm different because I don't laugh and shake my head at racist jokes, as if it's the standard normal way to be or something. Not saying I'm super uptight and some kind of Pollyanna or anything like that, it just makes no sense to me how so many are default racist, or so it would seem at least to some degree.

I'm not familiar enough with the Zimmerman case to be able to comment on that.

Even a lot of natives where I live are racist- shockingly towards themselves sometimes. I have argued ad nauseam with people before over land rights, treaties etc. Honestly I have no real issue with natives being racist towards whites because I can understand where they're coming from. No, it wasn't me who committed the untold abuses of my white ancestors; but at the same time I feel like that mentality gets passed down from generation to generation on both sides and sort of sticks on some subconscious level.

Do I agree with it? Of course not, but as a white male I'm not in the position to take offense at it, and I like where you were going with your OP; I personally don't feel the need to blame women or Mexicans or some other generalized group of people for my troubles. That's giving away your power imo, not to mention self responsibility. Sure it's easier and more convenient to do so, but it doesn't make it right.

I think a lot of it may be momentum that keeps the cycle of prejudiced reinforced. The more you think of yourself as a victim, you almost train yourself to become one; it colors our self image and identity. As for the flip side of the coin, those who base their own self worth on money, power & the ability to dominate or manipulate others for personal gain imo have another thing coming when they realize what life is truly worth. Such (for the time being) is the pervading paradigm though.

I am however encouraged more these days, people seem increasingly reasonable in terms of judging a person on their individual character rather than class/gender/ethnicity than in the past. Of course it still exists, and divided we fall, as the Pink Floyd song goes. That is by design I believe, and once people start waking up (and stepping up) to this reality then really who can say what is possible.

And that brings it around to your point about people taking it upon themselves in terms of personal accountability and responsibility. It's beyond a question of racism, the vast majority of people all over the world in any given country need to stop allowing those very very few at the top from bleeding us dry. Greed is a common human trait regardless of gender or race, that is in my opinion what must be addressed.

It should be plain as day to everyone at this point what is going on, unless a person chooses complete denial. What are we going to do about it? Is really the only question left, the way I see it.

Peace. ~
edit on 15-7-2013 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by olaru12

I guess you are not going to turn off Chris Matthews and Ed Schultz any time soon, either.

What? You aren't going to call me a commie like you did in the past. I'm disappointed....

More stereotyping on your part eh?

I am more than capable of being a liberal/progressive entirely on my own with out any outside influence. I make no apologies either.

Keep up the divisiveness, you are a master of your craft!!!

edit on 15-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

I guess I could if you want me to. Would it make you feel better? Master of my craft? Oh dear you must be mistaking me for one of the many Freemasons who visit here. I am not. But I do have a very spiritual outlook, and I do believe that reincarnation explains many things. For all we know, someone could be the reincarnation of a former slaver and have to learn what it feels like.

Ya just never know.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Maybe I didn't articulate my point well enough for you to understand.

If you read this thread, you have the black/white divide. My point is that they're both racists who are screaming at each other for being racist. I only brought up being Mexican because if anyone has a reason to cry foul, it's the Mexicans AND the Middle Easterners. I've had white men, black men, Asian men, and even other Hispanic men who look at me like, "I know you're one of them, PACO! Here illegally and stealing our tax dollars." Bro, I don't even speak Spanish, my mother refused to teach me. She wants me to be an American and not be judged by my skin color, heritage, or language I speak. Hell, my old man wouldn't teach me Italian either. All I'm sayin is that the white/black divide is BS when both side are equally as racist but they refuse to see it. And I still don't think I had/have it as bad as the Middle Eastern guys who get the stink eye from damn near everybody.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I understand where you're coming from. But we all get the stink no matter what color we may be. I think that some of us get the stinky eye more than others but I believe it is because of the way we carry ourselves as individuals.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

That is a result of being part of a culture where homicidal maniacs flourish and hide amongst their civilians as a method of suicidal camouflage for the purposes of murder and having their government back them quite vocally. We can't tell friend from foe,but we still TRY to do so.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElPolloPlomero

Maybe I didn't articulate my point well enough for you to understand.

If you read this thread, you have the black/white divide. My point is that they're both racists who are screaming at each other for being racist. I only brought up being Mexican because if anyone has a reason to cry foul, it's the Mexicans AND the Middle Easterners. I've had white men, black men, Asian men, and even other Hispanic men who look at me like, "I know you're one of them, PACO! Here illegally and stealing our tax dollars." Bro, I don't even speak Spanish, my mother refused to teach me. She wants me to be an American and not be judged by my skin color, heritage, or language I speak. Hell, my old man wouldn't teach me Italian either. All I'm sayin is that the white/black divide is BS when both side are equally as racist but they refuse to see it. And I still don't think I had/have it as bad as the Middle Eastern guys who get the stink eye from damn near everybody.

Im still having a hard time understanding your woes in America? Please, help me understand.

For the record, I have a Hispanic in my family. We joke with him all the time as he does with us. His family is well respected and they believe the Hispanic's have a good life here. They have actually been catered to more so than any other ethnic background and frankly they can be here illegally and work. It's going on in such numbers they at the White house are screaming reform.

I don't have to press two for Asian or French. I have to press two for Spanish.

We all get joked on by a difference. Hell, I don't like pepperonis yet I get joked on all the time because of it. I am skinny and so guess what..... I get picked on at the age of 40 by other women because of it.

I just really wish people would lighten up and not take everything offensive. I wish other people would also not be so cruel with their words and actions but I can only be accountable for me.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Trust me, I've been privvy to that. I'm just sayin that if anyone is getting a raw deal, it's them. But they take it. Hardly do I hear about them being vocal.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

You bring up a good point. I mostly mean that Mexicans have been the target of extreme profiling. I'm a vet and have been asked provide proof of citizenship. Is this bias? Yeah, it is. Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and should just shut up now.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

You're right, one group is exceptionally more outspoken about it than another. I get the gist. Unfortunately you're correct. It would appear that who ever screams the loudest and most persistently gets the most attention or what have you, right?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Jerk_Idiot

White Angel Syndrome

I remember that post, wasn't quite sure I understood it until now.

Understandable. It is a term I learned from the original Black Panther's, They considered White Angel's racist scum and had no respect for them. However, as they said, if a White Angel want's to give you money, prostitute herself to give you more money, and put out for you because they thought you were to dumb to think for yourself or take care of yourself they would be more then happy to take advantage of them. I couldn't argue with that. Remember, most of the original BP's were Viet Nam vets.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Yeah, and in this case it's the blacks and whites. I'm surprised white people are starting to cry racist at blacks. I thought the white guilt would have taken over. Good for the OP to think for herself though.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join