It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LizardSlicks

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by luciddream

You don't get out often, do you?

And how about THAT, on the topic of assumptions. You are a fool. Nice beret though, looks so thoughtful

It's not a beret, it's an Ivy Cap.

And I didn't assume, asked a question.

You seem to like to pick on me a lot, are you crushing on me? Sorry dude, I ain't into the bromance thing.
edit on 15-7-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

The really tragic part of life is that we only get to be human for a few seconds after we are born. In those seconds we have the potential to do and be anything and everything we want. That potential is immediately cut in half the moment the doctor announces, "It's a girl. (or boy)"

Now, instead of living life as fully human we become restricted to only playing the role of male or female. Boys don't wear dresses; girls don't play with trucks.

From then on our humanity is chipped away throughout our entire lives. We become white or black. Smart or stupid. Rich or poor. Weak or strong. We have to claim loyalty to one side of the line that was created to separate us from them.

I wonder what life would really be like if we could just be human?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Also I have black friends that have shown me the exact same thing. He took me to "yourblackworld" and showed me posters calling people like Herman Caine, Colin Powell, and others "white on the inside." I don't understand what there is this standard for being black. Black is a skin color it isn't a personality pigeonhole at least it shouldn't be.

There is a standard for being black and any black person that is successful is seen as being white. I'm black but look white and live in the hood. I get alot of grief because of the way I talk because I won't hand out money that I WORK for because I am successful. I tried to help fiends and family only to have them turn on me now I tell people they turn on themselves anybody can suceed but it's easier to just get the handout and make the whities work. It's payback time for slavery but some love being slaves it's easier nowdays.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
As a first generation American born Mexican, I have to admit that you're all racist. Whites and blacks.

What's more racist that a white man? Nothing, but the black man is just as equally racist. Once these two groups stop being the bigots they are, then the healing, or whatever you call it, can begin.

And if you are black and you think you STILL have it bad, try being Mexican or Middle Eastern.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I don't even know where to begin....

I never stated anything about blacks preventing education; I merely pointed out the fact that it is not encouraged within lots of blacks families. This is not my opinion, this is a fact.

I never stated that I was better than anyone for breaking a barrier; I am merely sharing the breaking of that barrier with my ATS family. While there are blacks who do encourage this path, many do not. You feel that I have created this info?

Look at the black-on-black crime statistics...look at the rate of which black high school students are prepared for college, look at the prison population, and look at the Welfare System's policies that entice the victim-hood mentality (have more babies out of wedlock, discourage marriage and college).

Lastly, I never once stated that these negative sentiments and interracial racism was evident in ALL black people..

But I know that this is your way to 'hate' since you are not able to deconstruct my statements.

Cheer up. It's a beautiful day after all.

edit on 15-7-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElPolloPlomero
As a first generation American born Mexican, I have to admit that you're all racist. Whites and blacks.

What's more racist that a white man? Nothing, but the black man is just as equally racist. Once these two groups stop being the bigots they are, then the healing, or whatever you call it, can begin.

And if you are black and you think you STILL have it bad, try being Mexican or Middle Eastern.

You have 10 posts and you insult 99% of ATS?

That is probably the most insulting comment of the entire thread.

You really had to try hard to win that trophy....Congratulations.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What's being done to her? So her family was upset about Zimmerman killing Martin and were hoping for some sort of justice, and she has been "supporting" George throughout this and was "happy" about the verdict. Knowing she had the opposite opinion of her father on a sensitive subject, she didn't have to throw her stance in his face about it. How do I know she was crusading her opinion on this? Because she had to mention it to us TWICE in an opening post, and she carried on enough about it to where her father "who is very close to her" lost his patience and called her an "uncle tom", something I'm sure he doesn't feel so good about. So she creates a division under the guise of morality when in fact she is unnecessarily drumming things up, and then is shocked at the harsh responses when she knew all along where everyone else in her family stands on this? Is her belief in George Zimmermans right to use his gun within the technical confines of a flawed law more important than a teenagers life or respect for her parents? I doubt it. All I can really do with your question is speculate. Everything else she said or you asked is too general to even go on about.

I'm feeling that many here are not getting what I'm saying, are drawing conclusions as to who/what I am, and are confused on the subject entirely.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Your story needs to be heard. You should send this out to newspapers, I believe most would print it as a Letter To The Editor. I just think you point out some very important things that people need to know and hear, on both sides.. or ALL sides. Especially the younger generation. I don't think they have any real reference point or truthful perspective on this issue.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LizardSlicks

And now to you...

You have taken interest where the name 'ButterCookie' derives?

Simple. It describes my skin complexion, maybe a shade or 2 darker (Sexy ain't it)

Now, I never stated, not ONCE, that I was 'denouncing' any community. In fact, because I am very versitle human that loves all races, I have more so EMBRACED the human community. My point is that I was breaking down the barrier of which many blacks like to pretend is there, all for the sake of victim-hood or reasons to perpetuate violence.

In short, I was EXPANDING my community.

I gave facts about my personal life as well as facts about issues that resonate with black people across the board. Understand that I never stated that I spoke about the entire black population; don't try to use that logical fallacy. Instead, state your opinions on this topic, and if you disagree, try (your best) to deconstruct any argument that I made.

edit on 15-7-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Wow, quick to jump on me and my whole 10 posts. You're a winner. You also missed the point I was trying to make. Reading comprehension skills are unnecessary, I guess. Or is it because I brought to light the plight of the Mexican and the Middle Eastern instead of picking a side in the white/black argument? Growing up I've been the victim of racism from whites and blacks. They're both equally as racist and will never fix it because they're too busy calling each other racist.
edit on 15-7-2013 by ElPolloPlomero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
There's always going to be someone who thinks they know better than you. Always. Young or old, there is someone there to point out the error of your ways, whether it's a little smirk or a downright character assassination.

Whether your mindset changes, or stays the same, you have to do what's right for you.

And yes, there will be many times when you are met with criticism, no matter who you are.

While most of them can be ignored, some of them sting. Ouch.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

edit on 15-7-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LizardSlicks
reply to post by seabag

What's being done to her? So her family was upset about Zimmerman killing Martin and were hoping for some sort of justice, and she has been "supporting" George throughout this and was "happy" about the verdict. Knowing she had the opposite opinion of her father on a sensitive subject, she didn't have to throw her stance in his face about it. How do I know she was crusading her opinion on this? Because she had to mention it to us TWICE in an opening post, and she carried on enough about it to where her father "who is very close to her" lost his patience and called her an "uncle tom", something I'm sure he doesn't feel so good about. So she creates a division under the guise of morality when in fact she is unnecessarily drumming things up, and then is shocked at the harsh responses when she knew all along where everyone else in her family stands on this? Is her belief in George Zimmermans right to use his gun within the technical confines of a flawed law more important than a teenagers life or respect for her parents? I doubt it. All I can really do with your question is speculate. Everything else she said or you asked is too general to even go on about.

I'm feeling that many here are not getting what I'm saying, are drawing conclusions as to who/what I am, and are confused on the subject entirely.

????

Not really sure of your point you have tried to make, but I'm gonna respond anyway...

I never THREW a verdict in anyone's face. The verdict was announced for the entire country Saturday night. I stated that my father and other peers/family that knew I had supported George Zimmerman (in debate throughout the trial) felt hurt and angered and decided to use me as their punching bag.

The reason that it was mentioned twice in the OP was because the verbal attacks had just began the night before and continued all day Sunday, which prompted me to write the OP.

I'm hoping that you no longer feel offended by me

but now I'll be moving on to more constructive conversation on this issue.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I noticed that as well. He/She does win my vote too!

"Try being Mexican"? Really? Come on now... lets rethink this.

I (not sure if anyone else has to do this) have to press one for english and two for spanish these days so it seems to me HISPANICS are doing just fine in the US. They are able to come over (some illegally) and work to send money and clothing to their families. That isn't so bad!!

All the "woe is me" attitude may possibly be keeping people down and out. Rise up and be the best person you can possibly be without looking into the past and thinking what if. We have today and tomorrow isn't promised.

Let's all LOVE and be loved!!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

S&F ButterCookie

I really dont have much to say but.......

"we should go see a movie, Dad. Pacific Rim is out and it looks good." He responded, "I don't hang out with Uncle Toms."

As a father, that was wrong in any circumstance. I applaud you on your way of thinking and trusting in the facts and not wagering on popular belief or opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's hard for me to say I can truly relate but as a fairly liberal guy with a lot of liberal friends I don't get anything but insults for supporting the verdict. To me the evidence points to Trayvon being the aggressor and Zimmerman being within his rights to self defense. Maybe he shouldn't have followed him, but that is not grounds for assault.

I'm not supporting either side because of race, but because of what the evidence bore out. But it seems that all of my liberal friends are just hung up on the race thing, regardless of the evidence. There are lots of people saying if the races were reversed the verdict would be reversed, but I doubt it. And I would have the same opinion based on the evidence either way.

I think any group of humans will always try to force you into their group think, but good on you for resisting, as should we all.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm almost 70 and had great relations with many "Blacks" of all ages until about 1965 when many became hostile. All races have beautiful women and many Black girls were very attractive to me but I never dated any because of the serious differences between our ears. For example: one very sweet girl who clearly wanted to date me lost it when I told her about the Martin Luther movie I'd just watched. She said he was nothing compared to MLK. I said ML was greater because he greatly affected all Christians whereas MLK's influence is mostly limited to American Blacks. Her emotional explosion confirmed my suspicion that this oil and her water can't mix. When Black girls become more balanced mentally, then we will see more mixed marriages. .

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Larry Elder of KABC talkradio in Los Angeles is just like yourself.
iHeart Radio.com carries that station for free live feed. His show is 3pm to 6pm Pacific time.
You should listen to him for awhile and then call in.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It's not about "The Black Community" it's about how people are put into groups and then taught how they are "supposed" to act based on the media.

Black people are "supposed" to be ghetto and speak improper.

Asians are "supposed" to be good a math.

White people are "supposed" to do everything professional wearing suits and ties.

Gay people are "supposed" to act like their opposite gender.

All of this are things that we are TAUGHT to believe, but in reality everyone is different (if they aren't being a sheep following whatever stereotypes they feel they are SUPPOSED to be in).

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I am of the opinion that a loss of life was had. It is a tragedy and one the media chose to keep in the spotlight. The media also chose to make it about other issues than murder. It's a division made on purpose I believe just as the Simpson trial was.

To me, it was murder. It's hard for me not to see it any other way. I've tried. It is sad that Zimmerman felt the need to take the law into his own hands and get out of the car. I feel like he made a bad choice by doing that. Once he got out of the car we have no idea what was said and what happened. All we know is a young man is dead.
He probably didn't realize the teen would stand up for himself and words were had, tempers flared, and we know the rest of the story. Had he not gotten out of the car there would have been a different ending.

Whether or not Trayvon was this that or the other is neither here nor there in my view. Even if he was high, he still deserved to live. He was a person.. a human... who deserved to live his life. He was not breaking the law. He was walking, minding his own business.

Sadly, Zimmerman will have to live with his choices. He will relive this night over and over. More than likely his life from here on out will be a living hell. More than likely Mr. Zimmerman will fall into a deep depression if he does not receive a lot of support. He may take his own life because his life from here on out will not be pleasant. Everyone KNOWS who he is and what he did.

Whether he shot the boy out of self defense or not.... he will be labeled a murderer.

Now with saying all of that I also want to add that my family feels differently. We debate about it but they do not put me down and act like my opinion on this matter should exclude me.

The fact your family is using you as a venting post is just not cool and I am so sorry you have to endure that. Breaks my heart.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join