It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

And who is it that’s keeping racism alive??
reply to post by seabag

people of all "races"

That’s kind of like saying someone can’t be Commander in Chief and head of the military because they’ve never served. Give us a little credit, friend. I’m sorry you don’t like my take on the issue but that doesn’t mean my opinion is any less valid. Why do you feel like you know more about the issue when you haven’t seen it from my side?

in all honesty i find it absurd that one can be in charge of the military and never serve...that to me is like a master chef that never cooked..i really don't get it

and the thing is i have heard it from your side you feel all this talk is no more than an excuse ...
many of the individuals I've dealt with that want to stand of for "back equality" were white and way more passionate about it the me...but hey...whats important is that the OP distance her self from the problem..power to her becuse i feel like i cant and shouldnt

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by asher
(mostly because they where the ones who were subjecting people to poverty and discrimination due to their skin color)

"DUE TO THEIR SKIN COLOR!!!!" WHUHUH!!!
Let all of you mortals witness my amazing power.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Hey man that's the life they lived and they wanted to bring that to attention.

Nonsense. Its Bravado - Because if they dont act like hard men, who love women, make money, do/deal drugs, break laws without breaking a sweat and generally live the high life, they wont be respected by their peers - which means no record deal.

I personally believe that LORD YEEZUS THE CLOSE HIGH is sending music in the right direction. And remember blacks made all rock and roll and jazz and hip hop. Music dose a better job of bringing us together than most know.

No offence but i dont think blacks single handedly made rock and roll. Britain was once the centre of the music world too, yano?

I take one look at people like "Lil Wayne" and i facepalm. How can anyone justify him being released onto the airwaves?

link   
im native american. and i manage to not be angry at modern white people. if only the natives of the past were slaves. that would have been so much easier then the treatment THEY got...

link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by Baddguy
the problem here is no one wants to see it from a black persons who deals with racial issues point
so we will not get pass this..we will brig up points and others will simply discredit it because they have never dealt with it..even as a Freemason, i have dealt with racism in lodge where we are all supposed to "meet on the level" this is a very real problem..on ATS the motto is deny ignorance...but many of you choose to remain ignorant to this problem many blacks deal with...slavery ended..racism never ended.

When we can really discuss the issue without people denying the existence of the problem i will be back to this topic..

until then congrats OP on distancing yourself from what you find negative

and one a note..i was and im still called uncle tom..but i never distance myself because i understand the problem on a greater level

THANKS!!

You guys have encouraged me to explore this topic even deeper.

More comments to come later today, and thanks for not being afraid to discuss this issue with me, regardless of your race.

good stuff girl

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretFace

reply to post by SecretFace

Oh my bad. I didn't know the British didn't like Americans because of their skin color. Your life is totally false
edit on 15-7-2013 by asher because: WHUHUH!!!

That doesn't make sense!

You claimed that whites in America never experienced poverty, which is totally false, what on Earth did I say to prompt such a response? I think you have real issues that you need to address yourself, rather than pointing fingers at others.

Alright you! Prepare to be embarrassed! After you are proven wrong I would recommend offing yourself LMBAOOTF

Ok, I am well prepared, go ahead LMBAOOOTOFHJDKSDKHJJASLDASJKDFHKA etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Reading this op, I knew it would be praised (this is a good black person according to some) but it is a delusional view! Don’t you see that’s the problem!

This op is a myopic view because the objective reality is that black people in the west--descendants of slaves-- are indeed still affected negatively to a degree from the pernicious effects of slavery, and the years of Jim Crow racism that had them drinking out of separate water fountains and ridding on the backs of buses, massive lynching in the south and blatant job and housing discrimination. This all still happens now to a great degree, and up in this modern era after slavery.

This is an objective fact, not stated here as any kind of excuse for bad behavior.

I fell this way as a black person who has had white friends and never even are concerned with race but that doesn’t mean I forget objective reality and delude myself that white supremacy and racism isn’t endemic in this culture.
To think otherwise is delusion!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Get ready
edit on 15-7-2013 by asher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman
im native american. and i manage to not be angry at modern white people. if only the natives of the past were slaves. that would have been so much easier then the treatment THEY got...

And if anyone has a right to be angry at the white man as a whole, I would say its Native Americans!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

That doesn't make sense!

You claimed that whites in America never experienced poverty, which is totally false, what on Earth did I say to prompt such a response? I think you have real issues that you need to address yourself, rather than pointing fingers at others.

I am totally embarrassed...look at my face....
....embarrassed! You win dude!...................

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

people of all "races"

Well….I guess I’ll have to agree with you there. Good point!

My point was that it’s people who can’t let go of injustices of the past (like the OP’s family – based on what they’ve said to her) that really keep racism alive but…you’re right, there is blame to go around.

in all honesty i find it absurd that one can be in charge of the military and never serve...that to me is like a master chef that never cooked..i really don't get it
Yes, I don’t like it either but we’ve had successful President’s who never served in the military.

and the thing is i have heard it from your side you feel all this talk is no more than an excuse ...
I only feel that way because the only people I hear who keep interjecting race into every issue are politicians and race-baiter. Some people TRY to find a racial component to everything….which keeps racism alive and deepens the divide IMO.

many of the individuals I've dealt with that want to stand of for "back equality" were white and way more passionate about it the me...but hey...whats important is that the OP distance her self from the problem..power to her becuse i feel like i cant and shouldnt
Yes, I’m proud of the OP for following her desire to better herself. That should be every parent’s dream for their children and should never be discouraged. Race has nothing to do with personal drive and ambition and nobody should attempt to dissuade her from living her life the way she choses.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

whats important is that the OP distance her self from the problem..power to her becuse i feel like i cant and shouldnt.

This is what we're really interested in hearing about. Why?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
The majority of the attacks on me toward was the discussion of slavery, or the little that they knew about it.

I briefly mentioned slavery in the OP and it is truly ridiculous to me how blacks today feel that their 'issues' are directly related to slavery.

No one today was alive during that period, so there is no direct correlation to anyone black nor white with it. And no white person owes any apology to any black person for slavery.

This is also something that is absurd to me, which is why I don't understand white guilt.

Hi ButterCookie,

S&F!

It's sad that many blacks buy into the stereotypical nonsense of what the media/society wants us to believe what "being black" means. It is sad that the ghetto mentality is celebrated. Ignorance is bliss, but only for a limited time. I applaud you for being strong enough to break that vicious circle of ignorance.

Here is a thought for you, though. Picture a male slave working in the fields. Time and time again he observes the slave owner picking a light-skinned female slave for sex. Sometimes she is then allowed to live in the house. Picture this happening to the slave's woman, and there is absolutely nothing he can do about it. I believe that this type of emasculation has caused major damage to the psyche of the black community. The repercussions can be felt to this day. So I would say that there is a very direct correlations to then and now. Slavery has left scars that have not healed to this day.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

That doesn't make sense!

(mostly because they where the ones who were subjecting people to poverty and discrimination due to their skin color)

"DUE TO THEIR SKIN COLOR!!!!" WHUHUH!!!
Let all of you mortals witness my amazing power.

Secretface your first wrong move was thinking you out smarted me and my vast godlike intellect. I have walked across the surface of the Sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you, Secreteface, you're just a man. The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite.

I AM A GOD. EVEN THOUGH IM A MAN OF GOD. MY WHOLE LIFE IN THE HANDS OF GOD. SO Y'ALL BETTER QUIT PLAYIN WITH GOD!!!
edit on 15-7-2013 by asher because: #Quoting yeezy on your candyass #kill yo self

edit on 15-7-2013 by asher because: I'm out

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman

And if anyone has a right to be angry at the white man as a whole, I would say its Native Americans!

Maybe we should all just stop being angry, where is the anger getting us?
Is it making the world a better place, we are all stranded on this planet together.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I dont think its necessary to comment on your individual points, but you ButterCookie are an amazing woman especially in light of your fathers actions. I salute your bravery and honesty. Too many excuses are made and the race card has been ridiculously manipulated in my country too,
We're all just human beings at the end of the day, why skin colour matters I have no idea.

Well done, I hope your strength of character continues

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

So you think abandoning one's own culture and taking another culture is good? because the new culture has no flaws right?

OP mindset disgusts me... one can have ambition and still keep their culture.. OP seems to think abandoning her culture is the only way to advance.

for example...I do not think like my grandparents but i have not abandoned my culture, i have just refined it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by asher

Secretface your first wrong move was thinking you out smarted me and my vast godlike intellect. I have walked across the surface of the Sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you, Secreteface, you're just a man. The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite.

What?! Is this what listening to YEEZUS does to people?

link   

Originally posted by Willtell

Reading this op, I knew it would be praised (this is a good black person according to some) but it is a delusional view! Don’t you see that’s the problem!

This op is a myopic view because the objective reality is that black people in the west--descendants of slaves-- are indeed still affected negatively to a degree from the pernicious effects of slavery, and the years of Jim Crow racism that had them drinking out of separate water fountains and ridding on the backs of buses, massive lynching in the south and blatant job and housing discrimination. This all still happens now to a great degree, and up in this modern era after slavery.

This is an objective fact, not stated here as any kind of excuse for bad behavior.

I fell this way as a black person who has had white friends and never even are concerned with race but that doesn’t mean I forget objective reality and delude myself that white supremacy and racism isn’t endemic in this culture.
To think otherwise is delusion!

And until people like you have the ability to change your view, this stance and "chip" will pass from one generation to the next and so on.......

link   
Im a white guy, but I produce hip hop, rnb, bashment, dancehall, reggae. Im also in London, one of the most diverse communities in the world. I have had a diverse group of friends since school.
Its different here in the UK, I think the US has a way to go yet.
I see the problem here(although racism still very much exists) is more the haves vs the have nots.
Its no longer a black & white issue, its more a class divide.
I think while people get hung up on the racial issues the bigger picture is being missed.

The real battle is for the freedom of all of us. Not just the 1%. Humans are tribal by nature, racism and bigotry and fear of whats different is a result of our tribal instincts, combined with ignorance and misunderstanding.
Which leads to the "you're alright because I know you" scenario.

Any line of division is being used for great capital by our current govt. The young vs the old, the black vs the white, the gays vs the christians, the middle class vs the working class, the working class vs the unemployed.
The taxpayers vs the fat people and smokers and drinkers. Every line of division that can be used is being used very much right now. Its simple divide and conquer, and while we all argue amongst ourselves we dont realise ALL of our rights are being taken away from us and turned into privileges.
The criminal bankers and politicians are above the law, we have a royal family living a life of luxury off the sweat of the workforce. We have old people dying every winter because they cant afford the heating bills.
We have public services being cut to pay for the debt of bank bailouts.
We are even borrowing money from the IMF to give to foreign aid.

This country is being driven into poverty, by fools that think they are better than the rest of us.
They call themselves leaders but all I see is misleading, lies and deception, and self service, not public service.

The whole point of this post is to say instead of looking sideways or downwards and blaming them for your problems, I say that when a proven dishonest person says look down i look up.
When they say jump, i sit down.
And when they tell me to think badly of a fellow citizen whose struggling as much as i am, I try to understand why the person Im supposed to see as an enemy is being portrayed as such. I dont just take their lying word for it. The best thing I ever did is stop watching the TV, and then to join sites like ATS, where an intelligent(and sometimes not so intelligent) conversation can be had about the real issues that face us all.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join