It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by asher
reply to post by seabag

You really think blacks can just "get over" slavery? Thats the only history we have. Whites made sure of that when they didn't allow slaves to practice there culture and sold family's apart. How bout you forget about the American revolution and civil war? Telling blacks they should just forget and assimilate into America is there way of trying to earase the history of what happened. America was built on slavery and genocide at the hands of white people and now they want everyone to just forget and be bet friends? Wouldn't that be nice huh? Forget about black history and only study American history. So America can cover up its genocide and slavery.

How is that the only history you have? Also keep in mind that then slaves probably on made up about 2% of the US population, if that. How much do you think 2% can contribute? What about the history of your ancestors? And how exactly do you know that any of your ancestors were made into slaves?

Food for thought, did you know that the biggest slave owner in U.S. history was a black man?? I guarantee you that he wasn't tricked into owning those slaves.
edit on 15-7-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by asher

You really think blacks can just "get over" slavery? Thats the only history we have.
YES! You weren’t there!!

I’m not minimizing what happened or saying you should FORGET IT but to say that slavery is the only history you have (and to keep using it as an excuse) is ridiculous. Is that the only thing they teach about black history in schools; slavery??? Come on, man! You have a chip on your shoulder because of something dead people did to other dead people!!

Whites made sure of that when they didn't allow slaves to practice there culture and sold family's apart. How bout you forget about the American revolution and civil war? Telling blacks they should just forget and assimilate into America is there way of trying to earase the history of what happened.
When were you a slave? Why are you mad?

America was built on slavery and genocide at the hands of white people and now they want everyone to just forget and be bet friends? Wouldn't that be nice huh? Forget about black history and only study American history. So America can cover up its genocide and slavery.
America was founded on constitutional principles….not slavery and genocide. It was Republican Americans who freed slaves. If you want to cling to someone else's pain I guess that’s your prerogative. I hope you can get past this…for everyone’s sake.

edit on 15-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Why would anyone embrace a history of bondage over the American history we all have anyway? It's like a large faction is off their Prozac or something.
I won't forget the bad things that happened but I WASN'T BORN YET TO STOP IT. So it is not an issue. Today I can it's called the 2nd Amendment ,That is what it is for.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I don't know what to say. I can not believe you would get ostracized by your own family. This must be tough and I am sorry for that. I can only say just keep on trucking. It isn't conforming to the white people. What it is is just not molding to what your family wants. I cant believe a family would say harsh things like that to a loved one who wants to further their education. Keep trucking forward don't look back and be and INDIVIDUAL! don't conform because its the norm.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
the problem here is no one wants to see it from a black persons who deals with racial issues point
so we will not get pass this..we will brig up points and others will simply discredit it because they have never dealt with it..even as a Freemason, i have dealt with racism in lodge where we are all supposed to "meet on the level" this is a very real problem..on ATS the motto is deny ignorance...but many of you choose to remain ignorant to this problem many blacks deal with...slavery ended..racism never ended.

When we can really discuss the issue without people denying the existence of the problem i will be back to this topic..

until then congrats OP on distancing yourself from what you find negative

and one a note..i was and im still called uncle tom..but i never distance myself because i understand the problem on a greater level

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
There is only one race, and that's the human race.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

reply to post by SecretFace

Oh my bad. I didn't know the British didn't like Americans because of their skin color. Your life is totally false
edit on 15-7-2013 by asher because: WHUHUH!!!

That doesn't make sense!

You claimed that whites in America never experienced poverty, which is totally false, what on Earth did I say to prompt such a response? I think you have real issues that you need to address yourself, rather than pointing fingers at others.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
reply to post by Antipathy17

Exactly, but until Americans stop looking at each other's skin colors and start banding together, TPTB will continue to hold us down under their thumbs.

I find it utterly absurd that so few realize that division is what it's all about! Though there is racism in the world of today the way the media hypes on it is out of proportion to what is really keeping the minority communities down today and that is the same thing that is destroying the middle class and possesses more wealth then the bottom 60% of America! The Anglo American Elitist banking empire! They have control of the MSM and associated press and so they control all the information as well as everything else one needs to survive in this world!
It's pathetic the way we let these people divide us and while I realize that Zimmerman should have called the authorities and did nothing else, he should not have to fear for his life because he decided to confront Martin
and ended up having to defend his life!

Your friends and family members are the real uncle toms because they let the Media and Politics show them who to hate!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Your English so you don't how court systems and prison systems are set up against blacks. Or how bad racial profiling is in America.

No where in my post did i say that black americans had an easy ride, i said they have equal opportunities. And yes, ive read about your private prison systems that are making a killing from detaining people for simple crimes. But its worthwhile noting, blacks are not the only minority in the USA, to suggest that the prison systems are set up entirely to work against blacks is.. must be exaggerated.

And the media won't tell you about that. This isn't the first time police have gunned down a innocent black person. That's why black people never trust police. You don't see how the media portrays all black people as uneducated animalistic thugs.

With respect, the music industry isnt exactly working hard to make black people look any more sophisticated, is it? They have the world as a stage and their top release's are of "gangsta's" Who deal drugs, have a lot of sexual partners, out run police, break laws in general but live the high life and are generally revered among their peers. You dont see them promoting education anymore, or encouraging black youth to get out of gang culture.

link   
reply to post by Baddguy

Yeah that seems to be the case with all the white people I've talked to on this topic. Well I'm done for now. My last feat of genius will be to prove this one guy wrong!

link   
reply to post by Baddguy

the problem here is no one wants to see it from a black persons who deals with racial issues point so we will not get pass this..we will brig up points and others will simply discredit it because they have never dealt with it..even as a Freemason, i have dealt with racism in lodge where we are all supposed to "meet on the level" this is a very real problem..on ATS the motto is deny ignorance...but many of you choose to remain ignorant to this problem many blacks deal with...slavery ended..racism never ended.

And who is it that’s keeping racism alive??

When we can really discuss the issue without people denying the existence of the problem i will be back to this topic..

I know there is racism. The OP did a wonderful job of illustrating the point.

and one a note..i was and im still called uncle tom..but i never distance myself because i understand the problem on a greater level

That’s kind of like saying someone can’t be Commander in Chief and head of the military because they’ve never served.

Give us a little credit, friend. I’m sorry you don’t like my take on the issue but that doesn’t mean my opinion is any less valid. Why do you feel like you know more about the issue when you haven’t seen it from my side?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Thank you Buttercookie for....well being you. I appreciate the fact that you are having the courage to stand up for what you believe and not follow the crowd whit ideas and beliefs.

I can say the ignorance doesn't know skin color but it does seem to be a social economic/education level issue. I've personally been told by other white people that I "High" and have been asked if I read the dictionary because I use big words. But like you instead of lowering myself to their level "IE. Dumbing myself down" I continued my education and to live MY life as I wish to define it.

By the way I would also like to say that it is refreshing to hear you talk about the black community and the slave issue. Your candor is refreshing, but just remember that even Bill Cosby was call an "Uncle Tom" when he had the gall to speak out agents the "Community" and speak the truth.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy
the problem here is no one wants to see it from a black persons who deals with racial issues point
so we will not get pass this..we will brig up points and others will simply discredit it because they have never dealt with it..even as a Freemason, i have dealt with racism in lodge where we are all supposed to "meet on the level" this is a very real problem..on ATS the motto is deny ignorance...but many of you choose to remain ignorant to this problem many blacks deal with...slavery ended..racism never ended.

THANKS!!

You guys have encouraged me to explore this topic even deeper.

More comments to come later today, and thanks for not being afraid to discuss this issue with me, regardless of your race.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Anyone that put one's own culture down to put another culture on pedestal disgusts me.

There is nothing wrong with refining one's culture, correcting old ways.. but adopting another culture and abandoning ones own is worse than anything.

I have an Asian girl friend, i appreciate their culture, but i'm not going to become Asian and abandon mine, me and her, if goes long term, make our own unusual hybrid culture. This is how good cultures are formed, not taking someone else's culture.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Hey man that's the life they lived and they wanted to bring that to attention. I personally believe that LORD YEEZUS THE CLOSE HIGH is sending music in the right direction. And remember blacks made all rock and roll and jazz and hip hop. Music dose a better job of bringing us together than most know.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretFace

reply to post by SecretFace

Oh my bad. I didn't know the British didn't like Americans because of their skin color. Your life is totally false
edit on 15-7-2013 by asher because: WHUHUH!!!

That doesn't make sense!

You claimed that whites in America never experienced poverty, which is totally false, what on Earth did I say to prompt such a response? I think you have real issues that you need to address yourself, rather than pointing fingers at others.

Alright you! Prepare to be embarrassed! After you are proven wrong I would recommend offing yourself LMBAOOTF

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by asher

I personally believe that LORD YEEZUS THE CLOSE HIGH is sending music in the right direction.

LORD GOD help anyone who truly believes that!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

it will never end, racism is and has been massively understated when it comes to many black people, regardless of their country. They simply see all of the issues in the world is because of the white man, it doesn't matter if the government of a country treats white people just as badly, or even puts in place current policies to actually treat them worse. It doesn't matter that during the time of slavery, whites back home were treated just as badly. it doesn't matter that whites fought to end slavery. All that matters is the white man caused everything, not the previous American government, british government, French government or simply people from 200 years ago, no its the white man. This is not the fault of anyone in particular, just simple government policy that is making domestic issues far worse, people a lot more angry and they need someone to blame, they need something to aim their frustrations at and say that the particular target is to blame for everything negative that they experience.

Then you have the reaction of the white man, which is basically defensive to sum up or guilt ridden to then bow down to the fact that their ancestors may have played a part in the ill treatment of black people. Which they may have, but would I get put in jail if my Grandfather murdered someone? If we all went back in time 100 yaers or even 50 years, most of us born much later would be totally lost, let alone 200 years! Yet many of us still want to live in the past.

So the reaction of blacks based on history, then furthers the ill perception that whites may have. This then serves to support what blacks think about whites and their attitudes to whites, which then does the same to what whites think about blacks.

Its a reactionary loop that will go on and on. Blacks blame whites, whites blame blacks. It will never end. In my honest experience, which is here in Britain to be fair, I don't come across many racist white people at all, but racist black people are everywhere and they think that racist white people are everywhere. What can you do?

Its a loop that the powers that be want to keep intact to keep division. It will never end while it serves to control and be used as a distraction and even as an ally, if worst comes to worst. While people can justify it, it will remain and I cannot see it changing any time soon.

edit on 15-7-2013 by SecretFace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

reply to post by seabag

Nah. I'm not racist but white people are annoying when it comes to discussing race. White Americans lynched raped and killed black people because of there skin color but they think that racism is worse now? White Americans have never truly experienced racism. They have never lived their lives in fear because of their skin color. And white people are some of the most racist people in the world. Now after 400 years of blacks as slaves they want to play the victim and say "we are all one"

You have the nerve to call whites racist while you are classifying all whites as racist which is totally untrue!
If you keep bringing up the past how will you ever be able to heal?
How can you say "They have never lived their lives in fear" though maybe not because of skin color but for
other reasons? I am sorry that Slavery ever existed and realize it was wrong but accusing those alive today
of being guilty is just as wrong! You can not end Racism through hate only through understanding and trying to
do so is as ignorant as racism is! We are all being divided for reasons of control. Unity is the only way to end the monetary enslavement we are all being bound by! Open your eyes man and you will see we are all one!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Just a quick question:

The OP said "African Kings and Queens sold their subjects into slavery".

Is this true?

I always thought that it was a matter of conflict between warring factions, tribes if you will. I was under the impression that it was mainly a few of the tribes who often fought lesser , or smaller tribes....conquered them, and sold the prisoners if you will into slavery to the Europeans.

Was it actually Kings and Queens of the SAME tribe selling their OWN people into slavery?

I know that is slightly off topic, I'm just extremely curious.

As to the rest of the OPs post, I think it takes a lot of courage to pave your OWN path in life. No one can ever honestly accuse of you being "not black enough" or "too white". It is INSANE. We ALL have to pave or OUR path in this life....and WE are the only ones who TRULY know what is best for US....although I have much respect for family and friends, THEY ultimately are not walking in OUR shoes.

Brave post OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join