It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimmerman lawyer to move 'asap' against NBC News

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm sure that there will be multiple lawsuits filed by Zimmerman's lawyers so they can make some money off the case. The publicity doesn't pay the bills so they need to get busy.

Most Lawyers don't chase ambulances anymore, it's just too much work.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This will be settled quickly and here is why. In order for the case to move to trial, where it should go, there needs to be a deposition taken of everyone involved - each should be videotaped. Those replying to the OP usually respond with "NBC is xxx." and while it is reasonable to do so, there is no NBC - it is a corporate fiction, but there are people.

The Corporate Fiction of NBC would not want the deposition of editor X to happen.

Lawyer to Editor X: Did you decide to edit this tape in this fashion on your own?

X: No.

Lawyer: No? Editor X, were you in charge of the final edit?

X: No.

Lawyer: No? Who is in charge of the final Edit?

X: Uh.....

No one wants this to happen, there was a PERSON a HUMAN who told the editor to do this in the first place, a guy with a wife, kids, a pension and a BMW and walked into Editor X's office and demanded he edit the tape in the manner it was aired. In a deposition we'll find out who, and why. Case ends quickly.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I hope he wins, he'll need that money to pay the Martins in the civil suit.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

he is immune from a civil suit as when you sucessfully plead self defense in florida you get immunity from civil trials(unless you shot a cop/leo)
www.leg.state.fl.us.../0776/0776.html

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE View Entire Chapter 776.032Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.— (1)A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant. (2)A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful. (3)The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1)

they also have to pay for zimmermans legal defense fees and we all know his lawyer did not come cheap,toss in the three fund raising sites that are still up and the money he is gonna get from the lawsuits against nbc and possibly cnn will make him a very rich man

perhaps he will even sue Angela Corey for malicious prosecution

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magister
I also hope he can sue for false arrest and malicious prosecution! And sue the prosecutor who insisted it was racial profiling after the verdict. And if the parents bring a civil suit, he should counter sue for allowing their child to attack him.

Are you kidding me? Omfg.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Every needs to realize that Obama is manufacturing this whole fake scenario. Sure it is horrible that TrayvonMartin died, but he attacked a man and almost beat him to death. The fact that. Hispanic man is being persecuted for his race is sickening. Obama is trying to drive a wedge in America. We have never had a president who is such a divider. He only got re-elected by divide and conquer and a corrupt media. That is where NBC comes in. Do you think they did somthing so stupid as to splice the tape on their own. Heck no, they had to know they would be caught. They must have been given assurances of protection. Why is the FCC not talking about penalties, why is the prosecution not charging NBC. This is a blatant case of malicious slander, which is a punishable offense for a station to knowingly do. At a minimum they should be paying a hefty fine. The real story is why does Obama want to divide the American public. Why kind of psycho is this guy, ask yourself that.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I've been going back and forth with somebody on another website, and this was one of my replies when he told me I was an idiot for bringing up the fact that Trayvon was not the little angel a lot of media outlets are making him out to be and had pictures and texts on his cell phone of marijuana and a handgun because he didn't have a gun during the encounter with Zimmerman and that pot was an outlet for peace during the 60s. He also asked why nobody seems to be talking about Zimmerman's "history of domestic violence.":

You're correct, Trayvon did not possess a weapon at the time of his encounter with Zimmerman. You're also correct that Martin's GROWING of marijuana had nothing to do with the encounter.

I brought those two things up, being his cell phone pictures of a handgun and marijuana, to show he was not the model child he is being made out to be. There were texts from his phone involving a possible transaction of a handgun, marijuana, and his mother telling him to move in with his father apparently because he was skipping school.

Why would somebody have pictures of a handgun, marijuana, and giving the middle finger to the camera if they were not trying to live the "thug lifestyle?" I'm not ENTIRELY against marijuana, but from my experience, for the most part it makes people more relaxed and "chill," but in other instances it can affect judgement, especially to somebody who would be indulging in a "thug lifestyle." If they're living such a lifestyle, I wouldn't disagree that marijuana could have prompted Trayvon to lash out instead of continuing on his way. Who knows what Trayvon's real motivation was- being high? Racism? PARANOIA? All of the above? After all, he did refer to Zimmerman as a "creepy ass cracker."

While Zimmerman did indeed have arrests on his record for domestic violence, they were only allegations, one of which was dropped to a lesser charge, and the other was an allegation from an ex. Women, like men, CAN be crazy.

I'm not a racist. Had the tables been turned, and a black man killed a "white Hispanic" teenage punk thug, I'd be saying the same thing. I think ANYBODY should use whatever means necessary to defend themselves. Trayvon was no boy, he was well-built and essentially a man, who demonstrated all the signs of wanting to be a thug.

Zimmerman was the head of the neighborhood watch group. There had been a rash of crimes involving black teens, and I believe he wanted to make sure nothing happened, which is perfectly legal, maybe a little creepy to pursue somebody on foot (in the mind of the person being pursued), but legal, and the evidence is SCREAMING that Trayvon, by law, was the aggressor. How would Trayvon have gotten the upper hand when Zimmerman was carrying a weapon unless he did indeed sucker punch him? I'm forced to believe that if the encounter initiated as a face-to-face, the weapon would have been pulled before Trayvon had the chance to gain the upper hand.

I also believe Zimmerman should be well compensated by the media outlets who made a sham of this whole thing, and he should be compensated so well that in the future, maybe those media outlets will think twice about spinning it in a way to attract attention and stir controversy.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Zimmerman lawyer to move 'asap' against NBC News

www.washingtonpost.com

Last night’s not-guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial will enable the neighborhood-watch volunteer to resume his case against NBC News for the mis-editing of his widely distributed call to police. Back in December, Zimmerman sued NBC Universal Media for defamation over the botched editing, which depicted him as a hardened racial profiler.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Knock, knock. It's George Zimmerman.

Now you get it?!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

Originally posted by SpaDe_
With his lawsuit I would demand that each individual all the way up the chain that had any knowledge of this edit be terminated before a settlement could be reached. [color=gold] I also hope he starts with an astronomical number and holds his ground on it and doesn't accept a meager out of court settlement.

Me too.

As asymmetrical as the power relationship was...
Tiny little Zimm vs massive media conglomerate NBC

He should sue them for their entire home.

NBC News is probably a legally seperate entity from the NBC network, isolated for the purposes of liability. So he won't walk away owning the network, more's the pity.

At any rate, this lawsuit can only be good for the country, assuming it goes forward and reaches a verdict. I don't see how NBC News can possibly prevail.

Harte

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas

he is immune from a civil suit as when you sucessfully plead self defense in florida you get immunity from civil trials(unless you shot a cop/leo)
www.leg.state.fl.us.../0776/0776.html

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE View Entire Chapter 776.032Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.— (1)A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant. (2)A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful. (3)The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1)

they also have to pay for zimmermans legal defense fees and we all know his lawyer did not come cheap,toss in the three fund raising sites that are still up and the money he is gonna get from the lawsuits against nbc and possibly cnn will make him a very rich man

perhaps he will even sue Angela Corey for malicious prosecution

Civil protections are void if Zimmerman is convicted of any federal felony committed during this altercation.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

and the chances of that are slim to none as he did not violate any of travons civil rights,and as the fbi seems to think from their investigation that he was in fact not racist i really dont see a conviction

and as the bulk of the civil rights violations that did go to trial were performed by police and thus were charged with violating civil rights under color of authority,as Zimmerman was not a law enforcement officer but a private citizen it gets even harder to prove he violated martins civil rights.
www.fbi.gov...

And that’s why—as the lead agency for enforcing federal civil rights laws—the FBI remains dedicated to protecting the cherished freedoms of all Americans. That includes aggressively investigating and working to prevent hate crime, “color of law” abuses by public officials, human trafficking and involuntary servitude, and freedom of access to clinic entrances violations—the four top priorities of our civil rights program. We also support the work and cases of our local and state partners as needed.
seems like the only one they could try to get him on would be a hate crime,and as he uttered no racial slurs i dont see that sticking you may want to see him charged in federal court but just like the main trial a conviction of Zimmerman is not likely

www.fbi.gov... what is a hate crime?

A hate crime is a traditional offense like murder, arson, or vandalism with an added element of bias. For the purposes of collecting statistics, Congress has defined a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.” Hate itself is not a crime—and the FBI is mindful of protecting freedom of speech and other civil liberties.
so i dont see a conviction in federal court whatsoever
www.theblaze.com...

Dershowitz In addition to these statements given to the FBI during their interviews regarding the shooting that occurred Feb. 26, 2012, in Sanford, Florida, resulting in the death of 17-year-old Martin, Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz told Mike Huckabee Sunday of other challenges that could arise from such a case. “In general, the Justice Department does not investigate civil rights violations committed by one individual against another unless that individual works for the state or federal government,” Dershowitz said. Dershowitz continued that “George Zimmerman can’t really alone violate the civil rights of an individual even if he were to be guilty of the crime.”
see its not as easy to convict as some people seem to think
edit on 15-7-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas

and the chances of that are slim to none as he did not violate any of travons civil rights,and as the fbi seems to think from their investigation that he was in fact not racist i really dont see a conviction

and as the bulk of the civil rights violations that did go to trial were performed by police and thus were charged with violating civil rights under color of authority,as Zimmerman was not a law enforcement officer but a private citizen it gets even harder to prove he violated martins civil rights.
www.fbi.gov...

And that’s why—as the lead agency for enforcing federal civil rights laws—the FBI remains dedicated to protecting the cherished freedoms of all Americans. That includes aggressively investigating and working to prevent hate crime, “color of law” abuses by public officials, human trafficking and involuntary servitude, and freedom of access to clinic entrances violations—the four top priorities of our civil rights program. We also support the work and cases of our local and state partners as needed.
seems like the only one they could try to get him on would be a hate crime,and as he uttered no racial slurs i dont see that sticking you may want to see him charged in federal court but just like the main trial a conviction of Zimmerman is not likely

www.fbi.gov... what is a hate crime?

A hate crime is a traditional offense like murder, arson, or vandalism with an added element of bias. For the purposes of collecting statistics, Congress has defined a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.” Hate itself is not a crime—and the FBI is mindful of protecting freedom of speech and other civil liberties.
so i dont see a conviction in federal court whatsoever
www.theblaze.com...

Dershowitz In addition to these statements given to the FBI during their interviews regarding the shooting that occurred Feb. 26, 2012, in Sanford, Florida, resulting in the death of 17-year-old Martin, Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz told Mike Huckabee Sunday of other challenges that could arise from such a case. “In general, the Justice Department does not investigate civil rights violations committed by one individual against another unless that individual works for the state or federal government,” Dershowitz said. Dershowitz continued that “George Zimmerman can’t really alone violate the civil rights of an individual even if he were to be guilty of the crime.”
see its not as easy to convict as some people seem to think
edit on 15-7-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

Thanks, professor. How does any of this refute what I just said?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

you think hes gonna get convicted in federal crimes,i showed you why he was not very likely to be convicted was that not clear enough or should i go over the part of Zimmerman not being a cop(or agent of state/government) he is much less likely to be convicted as it is much harder to try a private individual as opposed to a state employee for hate crimes(the only potential charge that could be levied against Zimmerman and have a shot at conviction)
www.kcci.com...

For a federal hate crime, we have to prove the highest standard in the law," Holder said in April 2012, 45 days after Zimmerman shot the African American teenager in what was depicted by civil rights groups as a racially motivated killing. In words that now sound prescient, Holder described to reporters that day how "something that was reckless, that was negligent does not meet that standard." "We have to show that there was specific intent to do the crime with requisite state of mind," he said.
so even holder thinks its unlikely a conviction will be forthcoming
same link diffrent paragraph

To successfully prosecute Zimmerman, the Department of Justice would have to show that Zimmerman "caused the death of Trayvon Martin solely motivated by/because of his race or color," Weinstein told CNN in an e-mail, adding: "This element was absent from the state trial and quite frankly doesn't exist." CNN Legal analyst Paul Callan agreed Monday that federal prosecutors are "in sort of a tough spot." The hate crimes statue is generally applied to cases involving police officers or other government agents, Callan said, adding that using it in a case involving a lone private citizen is "very, very rare and I think in this case, it's going to be very hard to prove." Read more: www.kcci.com...
as Zimmerman did not use any racial words and profiled him for what he was wearing not the color of his skin i think hes golden

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I thought the courts told Fox News it was ok to lie and distort the news. Why not MSNBC?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Interesting point but the 2 cases are completely different. The Fox News dealt with their own employees actually reporting truthful events but in the Zimmerman case NBC could be accused of slander, at least.
edit on 16-7-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

What is the difference in slander and a lie?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

You could look it up but the difference anyone can and will be sued for slander.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The problem with a lawsuit against NBC is that should Z's podunk attorneys blow the case; a frivolous counter suit could be leveled against Zimmerman and he would be in serious debt for the rest of his life.

Z's attorneys are praying for an out of court settlement, if they don't get one, they will drop the case.

Z's best hope would be to dump his lightweight lawyers and hire some big time mad dog attorneys and make it a national scandal. If he happens to lose, he will still pay.

Approaching civil suits from an emotional, revenge standpoint is a good way to get your ass handed back to you in todays current judicial atmosphere.

Rock..........Hardplace

I'm not a lawyer but I play one on TV. Really...Watch "In Plain Sight"

www.imdb.com...

edit on 16-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So was the trial NBC vs FOX ?? Maybe a sub-plot ...
CNN - Zimmerman Prosecutor Excused Potential Black Juror for being a Fox News Watcher
edit on 7/16/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have a simple question. Did the burglaries stop after Martin was killed?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join