It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English. Do You Speak It?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I'm going to preface this by saying this is not against people who speak English as a second language. It is about those whose native language is English. I don't know what it is but over the past few weeks I have seen a sharp decline in spelling and grammar. So much so that I find many posts to be completely illegible. It seems like I'm altering or adding words in almost every post I read. The sad thing is I know most of the people making these mistakes are native English speakers. So if you're going to post on this site please either proofread your response or stop posting from your phone. It would be nice to actually visit this site without having to act like a cryptographer.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
StRaNgE. I HaVeN't nOtiCeD AnYtHiNg sTRanGe aBoUT tEh gRAmMar oR SpELliNg hEre.

2nd.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I rarely ever notice horrible spelling on ATS, when I do it's usually a new jack with less than 100 posts. If I see it from a longtime community member I just assume English is their second language.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
when I do it's usually a new jack with less than 100 posts.

It's not the number of posts, but the motion of the ocean. Or something like that...

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Wha..wha..what?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Why do peeple write these grammer threds?

There are about 2 a week...

NOBODY CARES! we are not writing a novel and don't need to proof read anything, get a life... is this the sort of thing you worry about? strangers spelling on a forum how sad.

And as per usual there will be someone along who is going to nit pick your OP for spelling and grammar, lets hope YOU didn't make any mistakes...

edit on 14-7-2013 by roughycannon because: spelling and grammar lol

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I was bitterly disappointed to find your Op completely free of spelling and grammatical errors.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It's to the point where I am inclined to just stop reading if I see a 'should of/could of/would of/if this than that and i'd rather that then this' type mentality...

I force myself forward through the post to ensure there is no ensuing zombie apocalypse I need to know about....

Once I know I'm not going to be served in lemon juice, I move on

Originally posted by Samuelis
I was bitterly disappointed to find your Op completely free of spelling and grammatical errors.

Oh there are errors. We just won't be that anal.
edit on 14-7-2013 by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

Oh there are errors. We just won't be that anal.

I think you meant to say, "we just won't be that anus."

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

"It is about those whose native language is English"

I knew that didn't sound right...

"those" is the plural of "that"

The sentence should be:

"It is about members whose native language is English" or:

"It is about people whose native language is English"

Those is a plural before a noun, like "those apples" or "those cars"

Suck it! grammar nazi

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Mayyyyyyyybe!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Unfortunately, you won't get a suck from me with horrid grammar and spelling!

Too bad for you too!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
"Those whose native language is English" is perfectly correct and proper English.

The Spelling Beaner

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
I'm going to preface this by saying this is not against people who speak English as a second language. It is about those whose native language is English. I don't know what it is but over the past few weeks I have seen a sharp decline in spelling and grammar. So much so that I find many posts to be completely illegible. It seems like I'm altering or adding words in almost every post I read. The sad thing is I know most of the people making these mistakes are native English speakers. So if you're going to post on this site please either proofread your response or stop posting from your phone. It would be nice to actually visit this site without having to act like a cryptographer.

Sadly some people did not have the chance to obtain the same excellent education that you had, but at least they try!

As far as i am concerned, incorrect spelling or faults in grammar... it does not matter as long as the message is understandable.

I saw that you stated that you KNOW that most of the people making these mistakes are native English speakers, but have you stopped to think that although you might see the country of origin in their profile, they might be foreign?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

i am an English man , and we English are used to reading between the lines .
if some one mispronounces a word we automatically correct it in our minds and carry on listening to what is being spoken and with that we understand the message .

here in the uk we have many different dialects and the pronunciation of some words can differ greatly .

on the other hand , i lived in Germany for some years and if your words are not pronounced correctly they make no effort to understand .

the English language is changing all the time and always has done .

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

NOBODY CARES! we are not writing a novel and don't need to proof read anything, get a life... is this the sort of thing you worry about? strangers spelling on a forum how sad.

And as per usual there will be someone along who is going to nit pick your OP for spelling and grammar, lets hope YOU didn't make any mistakes...

Imagine you are halfway through a crossword puzzle when you have to put it down to do something else for an hour or two. When you return you find that someone finished the puzzle - with all the wrong answers! UGH! lol

That's the way many feel about communicating in any given language. It's a game to them and some people just RUIN IT for them. I'm 50/50 on it. If someone destroys a few sentences I might struggle through to see what they're trying to communicate. However, if I am faced with huge blocks of writing without paragraphs containing misspelled words in sentences that don't start with a capital letter, I just close that thread.

Another thing I walk away from is when someone declares that they've discovered something new in kwantumb fissix. If someone has actually studied a subject for 20 years, but couldn't take the time master 5th grade English, well, it's just hard to take them seriously.
edit on 7/15/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I generally type like I talk, in fact I often speak it out loud as I am typing which annoys my wife.

So I use a lot of words like gonna and cause instead of going to or because.

If someone passes up my posts because of these things, well, that's a bummer, but I don't really care because it is how I speak/type and it is a part of my style.

There are certain things that annoy me that people do, but a lot of the time these are newer members who have not figured out about walls of text etc.

We all, or at least most of us were like this when we first started, and as the years go by we learn how our wording,spelling and text effects readers in good and bad ways.

Don't be to hard on people, many are just learning.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Sadly i am blindren and crant teype leke i wood lyke to do...

Sorry, if i am blind... i will "feel" your rant/complaint again and type my answer if i have the intelligence to understand!... (because sometimes i can only recieve and type my mails in brail!! another type of disabling handicap...)

If you are not in the "NORM"... then you are either a NEWB (or NOOB) or just completely stupid in the eyes of some people!)... shame on you for your lack of understanding and tolerance towards other people!

Have some consideration please???

I am not blind... just an example... You never know who is on the other side of your keyboard!

Respects

Rodinus
edit on 15-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

edit on 15-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

The internet seems to deteriorate your writing ability as time goes by .... simply because you get used to seeing so many errors that you begin to commit those errors yourself. I used to be a decent speller but I have become pretty bad recently. I have to look up words I used to know how to spell on the fly.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

Why are you posting here on ATS?

To share information? Communicate with others? If you make a half-assed post, it shows you care little about the subject you are discussing. If you care about something enough to make a post about it, you should care enough to put some effort into SIMPLE revision to make your post legible, clear, and relevant.

Otherwise you are just lazy, and if you are lazy about something as easy as making sure you post is easy to read, why would anyone take your opinions on anything seriously? You are being rude to your fellow ATS members posting garbled garbage. You are making yourself look bad. It's incredibly easy to write a legible post. So why not do it?

Non-native speakers seem to type better posts than most native speakers here, a few word usage errors due to English not being their native language, but you can tell they put effort into making their point.

This is a message board, not facebook, not twitter, not an IM or a text message. If you are incapable of writing somewhat coherently, maybe this website isn't for you. If you want people to take you seriously, then get serious. There is no need to write a world class post that would be the envy of english teachers around the country. But show a little respect for fellow members and make your post easy to read and coherent. I don't think the OP is talking about a few spelling or grammar errors. He is talking about just awful awful posts that look like they were written by a three year old.

Just to be clear my post isn't directed at you, your post didn't seem to be one of the garbage ones the OP is talking about. My post was aimed at the people (quite a few of them) that seem to put actual effort into making their posts incoherent and riddled with massive mistakes that make reading it a nightmare.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join