It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

poster for custom made computer games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

every time i put them up people took them down..
can only hope this was not due to toilet paper shortage

..never got any calls for a custom made computer game

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

what kind of games are you interested in making?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

i started out with 'simple' stuff.. pac-man, space-invaders, (these types of things) and moved over into the field that interests me RPG's (fantasy role-playing games, dungeons & dragons, things like this)

i also started work on a 3D FPS (first person shooter) type game, with a giant robot that destroys cities.. (eventually that game involved the giant robot shooting "flowers" and other such positive things, distancing itself away from destruction and over to more peaceful endeavors)

i used a registered version of the "Game Maker 6.1" development tool (but opted for coding instead of the drop and drag features) ..some of these "demo's" are available at the game maker forums (WIP section) under the username "sub" (if interested)

i'll (slowly) upload some other artwork in this topic..

some ugg-boots i drew on

edit on 15-7-2013 by UNIT76 because: ..boredom, i suppose?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

I have been wanting to work on a game with someone for a long time I was using construct free ware from steam but all I was really interested in was doing the art work and sprite animation for 2d platformers I am a huge fan of the 16 bit style cleaned up with more modern approaches to art work, double dragon neon is a good example but I tend to do art work more closley related to SNK and Capcom games from the 90s I prefer to hand draw everything
maybe we should at some point work on a storyboard and make a beta for the hell of it

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

the game-maker programming tool was specifically designed for 2D development. so what you're proposing is certainly "do-able", there are also some "fighting games" already made with GM (although i'm yet to see one of the calibre of street-fighter, mortal kombat, et al)

game-maker is also VERY simple for a beginner to use
you may be interested in experimenting with it yourself? developing a test-bed for a fighting game.. (many people use GM to develop quick prototypes) ..there are also some surprisingly well-made games using Game Maker (GM) such as "ark 22", and "Wanderlust"

i'm unfamiliar with developing these 2D "fighting games" but pretty sure i could 'swing it' ..(merely using collision boxes placed in conjunction with animation-frames, stuff like that) ..it would be slow-development though as i haven't programmed in over a year (long, boring story)

thanks for being here.

the computer "AI" for opponents would be the most difficult part.
edit on 15-7-2013 by UNIT76 because: gack - just remembered AI scripting O_o

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

I don't really dig fighting games so much unless they are in a cabinet at a coin op arcade lol I am more into 2d platforming most recently favorites was hardcorps uprising and Limbo. I have an idea that would be remindant of old games like flashback quest for identity or out of this world from delphine studios way back when. Modern games have been losing appeal to me due to lack of gameplay and story to me most do not have that nostalgic feel to them as a good game should like a great book or film

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

nice.. platformers are certainly do-able.

feel free to upload concepts, sketches, etc here?
i'm familiar with flashback, prince of persia (these types of game-engines) i think the "abes oddysee" games make good use a similar technique.

the more i keep hearing from you, the more interested i'm getting in all this...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

I have some art work non game related I can link you quick so you get a feel for my style, I will in the near future upload some things I have hand drawn then digitized, I am interested in making layered scrolling backgrounds by hand and then digitize them for game backgrounds and level design almost like old school anime like classics akira and ninja scroll using a blend of cell animation by hand and digital re render, i think hand drawn art in a game makes the artist a part of the game and makes the player feel more connected to that game

Heres some stuff
edit on 15-7-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Nice art Unit, kind of eww about the posters possible uses
Do you have any more sketches/paintings you could show? Wow making games!

edit on 15-7-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I had to refrain from making a reference to 3 ply game posters
your post made me laugh

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
thanks, Iams..
you guys crack me up

i'll post some other work when the USB slot is currently not engaged by the internet dongle.
awesome artwork btw, brother. thanks for linking.

sometimes the folks at the GM boards offer to pay for artwork..

edit on 15-7-2013 by UNIT76 because: forgot my manners O_O

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

Hey thanks man, I am serious though i would be happy to work on some kind of game with you at some point in the near future, I like your style too it reminds me of Nintendo Power haha do you got the power?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Love your drawing style Unit, reminds me of R Crumb (Mr Natural) in the awesome illustrative linework.

I did a few gigs doing artwork for video games (mostly tiling textures and sprites). It was amazingly fun but so hard to get into without connections or a ton of schooling/training (at least in this area). At times I realize if I was still doing that job I wouldn't have the inspiration to keep painting.

In the end it's all about inspiration for me. I have a crap job that doesn't bust my chops and pays the bills and gives me enough energy and time to be creative.

If you'd like to see some of my stuff I've been doing lately just click my signature image, most productive year I've had yet for paintings.

But seriously, thanks for sharing your art! Keep up the great work!!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

..thank you sir, checking out your work now.

these lost quality in the photographing and image adjusting..

there's an old kids book called TROUBLE FOR TRUMPETS that has some amazing artwork in it.. lots of encoded "stuff" in it also

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

You got some cool artwork there!

And game making is an art too!

I used to make little rpg's with rpg maker 2k, but went through a few computers, and never backed anything up.
Always wanted to include some of my own artowrk in it. When I was playing scaryfish 3.0 I programmed a bunch of fishing worlds in it using all of my own made graphics and artwork. Loved that one, wish the programmer would of kept it working with windows xp, but sadly he didn't, and I couldn't use it with xp anymore so the game and world programming died

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

thanks dark. i don't draw so much these days (finding it very draining for some reason?)

RPG-Maker is pretty cool, i've used it also (and the RPG tookit) ..i always wanted to keep adding various things that were never supported in the game engines, ended up having to learn programming to get it all out of my system.. (still toying with the idea of developing a large RPG though)

..seems like employment is coming down the pipe for me, (and i'll have even less time now to sit around doing nothing) but it's youth work and art-orientated, i like stuff like that..

if there was enough people out there who liked those kinds of little games (such as the fishing one you mentioned) i'd be interested in developing them at some time? (most of those games aren't too difficult to throw together.. might open up a thread and make an enquiry one day)

(i'm) still interested in what "brother" was proposing (even though such a username sends me running for the hills, hehe) ..will hear more about job in a few days and get back to him afterwards. there's a demo version of a prototype 3D FPS with a giant robot that attacks cities and stuff (Killbot 3D) floating around at the GameMaker forums (username is 'sub' )

ok, well, i've rambled enough once more.. might scrounge around later for some more pics to upload. have a fun and educational day/night all

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

im always down to contribute bro we can do something I have alot of ideas already boarded for an RPG/ Detective game kind of like a blend between old genesis shadowrun meets blade runner

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

The scaryfish game started back on the apple II, so it has been around for many years..lol
I love those small but fun games.

If you ever do put together a thread about game making, I would join in.
rpg toolkit was cool too.

Drawing needs to be done when in the right creative mode, otherwise it seems more like a job than an artform, I hear ya.

new topics

top topics

join