It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B-52 at depot loses flaps (Nov 2012)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This is an older story, but I just saw the AIB report website with it listed. In November of last year, a B-52 undergoing depot level maintenance at Tinker AFB, departed on a Functional Check Flight (FCF), after completing the maintenance. At some point during the flight, both inboard flaps separated from the aircraft. Now this is impressive, because those flaps are huge.

Fortunately they didn't cause any damage on the ground. This is just one of many examples of maintenance at the Depot not being performed correctly. It has led to several crashes (including the F-117 at the airshow in Maryland), deaths of crew members, and losses of aircraft. It's been going on for years, and we used to dread having to send an aircraft to PDM. We had one EC-135 that flew crooked after it came back, because they didn't put the wings back on straight.

newsok.com...
edit on 7/14/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Which is why I dropped out of flying....the mechanics were all drinking vodka by the quart openly at work...( DFW BRANNIFF )..Then Reagan fired the air traffic controllers....then approach separation minimums went haywire with blatant disregard for three years or so......

I had no idea that stuff you mention could actually happen...dang the pros let something out of the shop that was crooked.....dang

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
...and from the rear of a maintenance hangar, a lone voice could be heard....

'Well I'll be damned! THAT'S where the pile of spare bolts was supposed to go! ooops...'

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Thats not like a tiny little screwup, how the hell was it released.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macpdm

Oh compared to others, this is minor.

The F-117 that crashed in Maryland during an airshow was post PDM.
A C-130 that crashed in Europe killing everyone on board was post PDM.
An E-8, two months out of PDM in Dubai on its first air refueling flight almost blew the wing off, with a full crew on board.
Our EC-135 had one wing jigged on higher than the other, causing it to fly crooked.
A C-141 blew a wing off in Memphis refueling post depot maintenance.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by macpdm

Oh compared to others, this is minor.

The F-117 that crashed in Maryland during an airshow was post PDM.
A C-130 that crashed in Europe killing everyone on board was post PDM.
An E-8, two months out of PDM in Dubai on its first air refueling flight almost blew the wing off, with a full crew on board.
Our EC-135 had one wing jigged on higher than the other, causing it to fly crooked.
A C-141 blew a wing off in Memphis refueling post depot maintenance.

Man thats crazy and so scary. As if the job aint hard enough without worrying about bits dropping off and being killed.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by macpdm

Fortunately out of all those the C-130 was the only one where anyone was killed.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Just as well it lost BOTH flaps - if it had only lost 1 then the resulting lift asymmetry might well have been uncontrollable!!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Apparently several P-3s have landed flaps up because they've had that problem lately. I was reading on another board about this and someone said a number of them have had asymmetry problems.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yes flap asymmetry is a serious problem and a/c have systems that detect it and stop flap movement when the difference reaches a certain limit - eg maybe 1 degree difference or some other small number.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I just applied for a boom operator slot at Kelly Air Field in San Antonio doing FCF checks and other flight testing...and now you have to put this out! Guess maybe that's why they are offering so much money for a train engineer to go back to being a boom operator!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

Sign me up as an extra crew member. I'll help FCF.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I hope I get it cause I want to fly again now. lol

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I just wish I was qualified. I'd love to do it. I'd even live in Texas for it. Hell, let me know if they need ramp rats. I'd love to do that again.
edit on 7/14/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Good luck with the job opportunity and maybe keep a bag of bolts handy.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I love the b-52 even down to the way the pilots turn the aircraft on the four sets of wheels, such a large lumbering plane full of whoop ass, how long are the b-52s meant to be in service till ?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

2040 minimum. They're starting on another big upgrade to them, including electronics and weapons systems.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
2040 minimum ?! Wow that's it incredible, is there not any ideas on replacing it at some point, once it is eventually phased out would future wars be fought with improved accuracy. Would the next bomber be in the form of the ramjet they are testing

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

The next bomber will be a medium bomber in the LRS-B platform. They haven't said if they are going to make it manned or unmanned, or any specifications about it (at least any locked down). They want to be able to hit anywhere in the planet very quickly with it (a matter of 4 hours or less if they can pull it off).

new topics

top topics

join