It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism a religion of War?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by GargIndia

God has given humans the power to act freely. This power is not given to animals and plants though they have the same soul as humans have. Why? Because animals and plants are lives of punishment for souls who were once sinners in human form. Souls receive punishment from God, though humans do not realize.

That isn't even remotely scriptural. Animals don't have souls, they only have a spirit which is the life God breathed into them. God didn't make them in his Image.

How do either of you know if animals have souls or not? For that matter, how does anyone know if humans have souls? Because some 2,000 year-old says so, or some council of self-professed holy men claim it to be the case? PUH-leeze.

As for free will, how can anybody claim animals don't have free will? Assuming humans have freewill -- and yes, there is at least one theory that posits that we don't -- how would one claim that chimpanzees, dolphins, dogs and various other higher mammals don't have free will? If humans have free will, then plenty of animals also have free will. Anyone claiming otherwise is either being quite arrogant or is a poor observer of animals.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

reply to post by GargIndia

God has given humans the power to act freely. This power is not given to animals and plants though they have the same soul as humans have. Why? Because animals and plants are lives of punishment for souls who were once sinners in human form. Souls receive punishment from God, though humans do not realize.

That isn't even remotely scriptural. Animals don't have souls, they only have a spirit which is the life God breathed into them. God didn't make them in his Image.

And just because it is in the scripture it is true even if common sense or even god say it is untrue? If god did not want us to care for the animals then why did we get feelings of oneness with our pets. Some people think of their pets as their children and would risk their lifes for them. That kind of love is divine.

edit on 15-7-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

How would you define the term 'religion'?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

As an Atheist who actually studied other religions before finally becoming an Atheist, what he was saying is through the eyes of a Hindu... in Hinduism every living thing has a soul... from a worm to a human... and people are reincarnated as worms because of their past atrocities as human,, when a human live a selfless life he is released from this world to Nirvana.

It good to learn other religion.. this is coming from an atheist to a religious person

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It is a set of beliefs. It is what one believes. An atheist believes there is no god.
It is weird that it is argued about when not many actually know what god is.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
in Hinduism every living thing has a soul... from a worm to a human... and people are reincarnated as worms because of their past atrocities as human,, when a human live a selfless life he is released from this world to Nirvana.

It good to learn other religion.. this is coming from an atheist to a religious person

Maybe being a worm would be nice, maybe being a worm would be Nirvana. I don't believe you are punished for doing 'bad' things and because this is the idea that has been fed throughout your life, you cannot experience Nirvana right now. Guilt and shame and the fear of getting it wrong and the idea that you will be punished is what stops you being in peace.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

If Atheism isn't a religion, why are all posts about atheism on ATS in the Religion, Faith and Theology section of the website?

When you are discussion a topic, the anti-topic will be discussed there as well. You can't have a Tennis forum and "Not playing Tennis" Forum, they need to be discussed in the same forum. Ask mods to make a new section if you hate that kinda of logic.

If atheism isn't a religion, where outside of religious discussion does the topic of atheism come up?

Atheism will exist as long as Theism exist, its the same topic, does not mean it is the same.

If atheism isn't a religion, why are we arguing about gods and the bible as the religions do?

Because religion likes to get involve din Politics and Laws that dictate everyone else and sometimes cover up atrocities committed....

If atheism isn't a religion, but a description, what outside of views on religious matters does it describe?

It describes everything a religion describes but without magic...and supernatural beings

If atheism isn't a religion, but a description, why do atheists capitalize Atheism?

Internet is not known for its grammr skillz. Plus, it because a "Thing" in the modern society.

If atheism isn't a religion, why when asked to describe our religious views do we say atheist?

Atheist is pretty much saying "i do not have a believe in any god", how does saying that makes it a religious?

A: i like sports, i'm a tennis player

B: i don't play Tennis

A: what is this "I don't play tennis" sport?

B: /facepalm

In reality, when people ask, i never say Atheist, because sadly in this religious filled world, the word "Atheist" is somewhat still evil in the eyes of many. i simply say i don;t believe in any religion.. i would like to say more but this world is not ready yet.
edit on 7/15/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

People who are not interested in tennis would not be on a tennis forum. Atheist's are interested in religion.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Atheism is a religion of war. It wars on other religions around it, making fun of people in an attempt to make them appear backwards for the sake of ridicule, but more often than not the religion of choice to attack always primarily seems to be Christianity.

You see, Atheists like to pride themselves on a "lack" of belief Yet Atheism is indeed a religion, they believe there

It's been pointed out many times in this thread already but Atheism is NOT a religion.
Atheism doesn't have holy books or scriptures to consult.
Atheism doesn't build buildings specifically for prayer.
Atheism don't pray.
Atheist are not bound by any written documents or theories, i.e if in 20 years time it is found that Darwin's theory wasn't completely correct.........atheist are not going to suggest that the findings are incorrect.because Darwin is infallible......... unlike how religious people view their the holy books and writings.

Why is it Christianity that is the religion of choice to attack?
Well it may well appear to you that way, but if you were a Muslim my response to you would be exactly the same.
I was born and brought up in the UK and in primary school from the age of 5, we regularly had references to God and Jesus, now when you are that age you are taught to listen to what the teacher says........so if teacher says
2 + 2 =4 then it's a pretty good bet that they are telling you the truth,so when teacher says Jesus walked on water........well the child accepts it as fact........I certainly don't recall any child laughing at the teacher and declaring that teacher is talking nonsense.
So the Christian religion, whilst not shoved down my throat at school, it was certainly taught as factual history.

So why do I not believe in God?
Well firstly these holy books are awfully old, and since then man has gained a great deal more knowledge about the workings of nature and the wider Universe. I wouldn't trust a science book that is 10 years old that hasn't been updated with the latest science findings..........so why would I trust a book that hasn't been updated for nearly 2,000 years?puz:
Furthermore there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that many of the stories in these holy books actually occurred.

Doesn't it seem odd to you that God choose to send Jesus at a time when there was no tv or video to properly record and document the events.
Nope he choose to send Jesus at a time when even the written word wasn't even the norm.

Look how many religions there are in the world.......they can't be all correct.......and yet God seems reluctant to inform the world about which religion is true, happy to sit back and watch man kill each other over it.
Even between with religions they can't agree and deadly violence and between Catholics and Protestant & Sunni & Shia.

God sent Jesus to the world supposedly because he loved us so much...........and yet millions upon millions of people have died violent deaths since Jesus was sent by God..................and then God sent Hitler.

Sorry but I just don't buy the concept of God as described by ancient "holy books".

edit on 15-7-2013 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

People who are not interested in tennis would not be on a tennis forum. Atheist's are interested in religion.

Because it affects the rest of the world. If tennis players were causing social unrest as a result of their ill-founded tennis-centric beliefs, I would be taking part in the heated debate that followed.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

It is a set of beliefs. It is what one believes. An atheist believes there is no god.
It is weird that it is argued about when not many actually know what god is.

1) What is your source for that definition? Or did you just pull it out of your hindquarters?

2) I don't think there is a specific, standard set of parameters for defining or determining a divine ruling entity, other than some supernatural force that has a lot of worshippers. That's not very convincing though.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Because it affects the rest of the world. If tennis players were causing social unrest as a result of their ill-founded tennis-centric beliefs, I would be taking part in the heated debate that followed.

Can you explain how religion causes social unrest in your opinion? There may be unrest on this forum discussing religion as there is an opposing force (the 'atheist') but I am unsure what you mean when you say 'it affects the rest of the world'.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

edit on 15-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

But if playing tennis is done improperly because they do not follow physics and instead follow some moves that were written in an old instruction manual... should they not be mentioned in the same forum? especially if there are many tennis players playing tennis improperly.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

heavily religious influence in politics is a number one thing... some politicians have many votes because they use religion to get votes.

Then again, politics pretty much controls the whole world, so yeah.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Logical one

You might not be bound by written documents but you are bound by a theory. The theory that God's does not exist. Whether you like it or not that is a belief, and it takes faith in order to believe such a theory.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

But if playing tennis is done improperly because they do not follow physics and instead follow some moves that were written in an old instruction manual... should they not be mentioned in the same forum? especially if there are many tennis players playing tennis improperly.

Are you saying that an atheist knows how to get to God better than the religious?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

heavily religious influence in politics is a number one thing... some politicians have many votes because they use religion to get votes.

Then again, politics pretty much controls the whole world, so yeah.

Politics hides under the flag of religion. If we call them savages by any name it gets the blood boiling and a war can ensue and the people are lead to believe it is all about religion - it is just a flag.
Conflict is conflict and if you are fighting with your own species you are already conquered.
edit on 15-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Are you saying that an atheist knows how to get to God better than the religious?

Societies have rustled jimmies worldwide because they have "found God" when really all they have done is established a state of emotional security due to self-engineered perspective. See, some people need a god concept in order to anchor a particular window into reality, a window that makes them feel better about that reality. It isn't about truth, it's about feeling better about what they are given to work with.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

They fight for power. Case in point, they say that people try to shove Jesus down their throats in school, yet the bible isn't being taught in schools nor anything about the Gospel, yet they can shove evolution and Darwinism down Christian's throats and we have no choice but to take it.

Now whom is shoving what down whose throat? Seems to me like the secular folks are doing the shoving.

Are you claiming that evolution and Darwinism is an atheist teaching? Last i checked, it was just science - carried out by scientists of all religions.

Oh, and in answer to your thread title, no atheism is not war on religion; we just don't care about the whole gods thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join