It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism a religion of War?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

So how did his suicide create a universe? Did he tear himself apart and use the pieces?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
I think the more pertinent point would be, did they start a war over their lack of belief in a deity? Or did they start it over social and economic issues?

In which case, atheism is just something people jumped on as a target of blame.

One could say the same about wars claimed to have been started over Christianity as well. The Crusades? HUNDREDS of years of Muslim invasion meet a response, and it's a "war started by Christians". The Inquisition? Not a war, but started by power-mad people running a "church" for control. What others have Christians supposedly started, over religion? I can't think of ANY.

Wars are started for a lot of reasons. Power, economic issues, to address a threat, etc. Other than Islamic terrorist groups, I haven't heard religion being a reason for any of them.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Stalin atheist possible death toll 10 to 30 million
Mao atheist possible death toll 20 million
Pol Pot atheist possible death toll at least 1.7 million and maybe 5 million+

Yeah atheism, the religion of peace, and love.
Warmongers who have no respect for others, if they so choose.

There is no evidence God doesnt exist so its a faith.

This is not a fight, just hi lighting every body is capable of evil, religious or not

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Atheism is a religion if abstinence is a sex position...

When someone does not believe in God, it does not mean they have no moral conscience or values. It simply means they do not believe in God. If you take a look at some of the least religious countries in the world, Nordic Europe mostly, you would see they tend to be very peaceful by nature, having significantly lower crime rates than in many "religious" much more religious countries. Moral values have nothing to do with religion to be honest. It is just empathy, putting oneself in the shoes of another.

I personally do not take much stand in religious threads, although I understand why many creationists are often being mocked... Circular reasoning, not much knowledge on either evolution or big bang theory. I have seen some seriously misinformed posts out here and also in other forums. I personally just feel sorry for these people, although many just mock them instead.

reply to post by borntowatch

Come on... It is absolute stupidity taking out some historical psychopaths and blaming their actions on their disbelief in God...

Their actions have nothing to do with their atheistic worldview, absolutely nothing.

Moral values do not come from religion, they do not come from some book. They come from the parents, guardians and the environment where a person lives. For most people out there empathy comes naturally, for some it does not. It is that simple. Nothing to do with religious beliefs.

I come from one of the least religious countries in the world, yet for whatever unbelievable reasons, I have moral values, probably even stronger than for most religous people. I would never kill anybody, I do not believe violence never being the solution, I do not lie, I volunteer a lot for charity organisations, to be honest I do not care much about materialistic values, I have set aside quite a bit funds (also given a lot to charity) , but I only invest it in companies with some higher purpose - never finance, environmentally unfriendly companies (oil, coal, certain products like GMOs) , even though they would earn me far more. Mostly I look into environmental startups , also fully organic agriculture companies and some websites which provide lots of value for people without costs. If I achieve something, it comes from my own hard work, not some cheat, that simple. And yet, I am an atheist. The fact whether one is an atheist or not, has nothing to do with their moral values.

edit on 19-7-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Stupid?
Its stupid not to see the link with communism, atheist teaching and death tolls.
I didnt say all atheists either, thats stupid
I said some atheists who choose

Come on... It is absolute stupidity taking out some historical psychopaths and blaming their actions on their belief in God...
edit on 19-7-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

reply to post by Thundersmurf

I have zero interest in discussing religion. My some other people who are also atheist might, but you can't say ''athiests love discussing religion'. That's no different than saying non sports fan love discussing sport.

Then why are you on this forum?

To discuss some of the obviously flawed points brought forward by some people in this thread. Foolishly generalizing atheists in a group for one.

This thread is dead anyway.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thundersmurf

reply to post by Thundersmurf

I have zero interest in discussing religion. My some other people who are also atheist might, but you can't say ''athiests love discussing religion'. That's no different than saying non sports fan love discussing sport.

Then why are you on this forum?

To discuss some of the obviously flawed points brought forward by some people in this thread. Foolishly generalizing atheists in a group for one.

This thread is dead anyway.

To further discuss some of the obviously flawed points brought forward by some people in this thread. Foolishly generalizing everybody as a group for one.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Were they waging war on theists specifically? Were they killing as a direct result of their lack of belief in a deity?
edit on 19-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thundersmurf

You're missing the whole point. Atheists aren't a group. We're all individual and the only thing we have in common is that we don't need or want a religion in our lives. There's no atheist code of conduct, no atheist rules, no atheist teachings. If someone brought up the fact that they were an atheist, that's no more important or interesting to me than saying they had a cheese sandwich for lunch.

I just don't get why religious groups think that atheists are a group. Are people who don't play football a group? Are people who don't read newspapers a group with shared beliefs and motives? It doesn't make sense.

Atheists are a group
They have no atheist code of conduct, no atheist rules, no atheist teachings.
They do defend and justify their non belief
But they also love discussing religion and their view.
Not all of course, just their group.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Atheists are a group

I like to discuss religion because it stimulates me. There is this book that I read once...

"It’s the questions we can’t answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he’ll look for his own answers…That way, when he finds the answers, they’ll be precious to him. The harder the question is, the harder we hunt. The harder we hunt, the more we learn. An impossible question…" - Kvothe (from the Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss)

Religion, for me, is the impossible question.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Were they waging war on theists specifically? Were they killing as a direct result of their lack of belief in a deity?

I am not sure. As an atheist why do you think they were killing millions? Fun?
Political gain, money, blood lust, faith, you tell me, I dont get it.
Just stating that communism, an atheist agenda
www.google.com.au...
has an extremely monstrous death toll, making Christianity s death toll tiny in comparison

Just facts is all

dispute away.....please

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Lots of reasons. Economy, politics, personal feud...

Communism is an atheist agenda? You'll have to prove that with sources.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Atheists are a group

I like to discuss religion because it stimulates me. There is this book that I read once...

"It’s the questions we can’t answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he’ll look for his own answers…That way, when he finds the answers, they’ll be precious to him. The harder the question is, the harder we hunt. The harder we hunt, the more we learn. An impossible question…" - Kvothe (from the Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss)

Religion, for me, is the impossible question.

Discuss or fight tooth and nail, read your own ranting posts, they are not discussions, they are bitter tirades.

Its your enemy and that is evident to who ever reads your posts

You are a preacher, evangelist, fundamentalist atheist.

Well thats how you come across to me, no offence intended, just my view.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Lots of reasons. Economy, politics, personal feud...

Communism is an atheist agenda? You'll have to prove that with sources.

Economy, politics, personal feud...sounds good....but what motivated those reasons is the question I am asking, not the reasons themselves.

Go deeper

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Economy, politics, personal feud...sounds good....but what motivated those reasons is the question I am asking, not the reasons themselves.

Because in those countries, if you weren't everybody's pimp, you were somebody's b****. So obviously, in order to keep from falling into a compromising position, you had to keep kicking everyone's butt to remind them what it meant to contend with you. And since you're not the only one doing that, it's going to go back and forth between you and all the other badasses. The art of love and war.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Then let us hope for both our sake's that I can start creating, both for my life and my fellow man something of value!

Because truth be told if it was all on my I'd have already blown the assignment, and as a human being if the self-destruct button was ever presented to me I'd either accidentally hit it, mistakenly, or, be compelled to press it just to see what happens!

And the best part of me and everything I've learned and come into an awareness of, is because of HIM, so I point you not to me but to the one who sent me, as he was first sent by his father.

Best regards,

NAM

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

And the best part of me and everything I've learned and come into an awareness of, is because of HIM, so I point you not to me but to the one who sent me, as he was first sent by his father.

Man, give yourself some credit for once. Your brilliance is your doing despite what you say.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Well I do have a rather large cranium, but that too is was a gift from God. I was meant to discover God's humor, it was my mission you see, but the one who blazed the trail led the way. I just can't take credit because it wouldn't be appropriate and if I did I might run the risk of losing my sense of humor and taking myself too seriously which would not be good.

No don't swell my head any larger or it might explode.

Instead, see God's humor and knowledge working through me in Spirit, that I would much prefer, thank you.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Instead, see God's humor and knowledge working through me in Spirit, that I would much prefer, thank you.

I see nothing of the sort, and I'm not one to deceive myself. But don't worry, I'll imagine it as you do to protect your subtle vanity. I, however, think its appropriate to take responsibility for one's creativity. To each his own I suppose.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

The source of the unending humor resides precisely in NOT taking myself too seriously and giving credit where credit is due, but I see what you mean, to a degree, but a God-filled ego-self is imho, dangerous whereby what goes up must come down, or pop.

"Life is a Mighty Joke. He who knows this can hardly be understood by others. He who does not know it finds himself in a state of delusion. He may ponder over this problem day and night, but will find himself incapable of knowing it. Why? People take life seriously, and God lightly; whereas we must take God seriously, and take life lightly. Then, we know that we always were the same and will ever remain the same.......the Originator of this joke. This knowledge is not acheived by reasoning.
But it is the knowledge of experience."

~ Meher Baba

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join