It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to do the right thing is pointless.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I had intended to make a thread like this awhile back, but unfortunately didn't have the time. Now, as I'm typing this, I feel as if some of you guys and gals are the only ones who will actually care to listen and understand where I'm coming from. If I could have one thing, it would be my life back. I was planning on making a decently sized post, but now it just seems utterly useless.

A death is a tragedy, no matter where, no matter how. With that said, I'm just absolutely amazed at how people are reacting to this news debacle that is utterly irrelevant and a perfect example of mainstream media doing nothing but pushing distractions. I'm going to just jump right into why this is so effed up.

Under the Bush administration, sanctions in Iraq resulted in the death of 500,000. Now we have Obama's drone program. These two alone have resulted in massive amounts of civilian deaths, take it back a notch and look at nearly any war. It's like all the people who are killed are nothing more than a statistic to most.

One kid dies in America months ago, and the public runs rampant with their ridiculous speeches on "how disgusting this world has become blah blah blah." How many people die in urban cities on a daily basis?

Why are these people not plastered all over the news and fed with baited racism and baseless assumptions? Why is that when you tell someone the number of civilians killed by drones they don't bat an eye, yet you mention "Trayvon Martin" or "Sandy Hook" and the burst out of their seems with a sudden expertise and full knowledge of what happened (miraculously).

Better yet, the people who don't bat an eye at drones, or whatever is being done to cause harm and ultimately death to my fellow brothers and sisters on Earth are the first ones to claim that either: I am lieing, or that it's just the way it is.

Just the way it is?!

So when Nazi's were rounding people up, soldiers who followed orders and civilians who followed laws; "that's just they way it was?" This compliance and complacency of tyranny is outrageous, it makes my heart break because I can't do a Goddamn thing about what's happening to innocent people globally.

You try to bring information to light, and people simply ignore it. Actions speak louder than words, and they don't act, or speak. I've heard every excuse in the book; "if that was true it'd be on the television, you shouldn't believe everything you see on the Internet," and on and on and on.

KNOCK OFF the cynicism. It is destroying the integrity that this once beautiful nation was founded on. But no, most people just simply scoff off what they don't know, understand, what's not on the TV, as falsehoods.

I remember being in grade school, having teachers telling me to always do the right thing, do onto others what you cannot do for yourself, etc. That stuck with me, I carried the burden of kindness and compassion in my heart at a young age. I had hope, that things were good, this world was overall good, and things such as slavery and genocide were a thing of the past.

And then I woke up. And not to sound all new-agey, but everything changed. This world began to slow, and the true intentions of once honest politicians came to fruition. The banking industry, and how it was orchestrated to be the way it is. Poverty is the worst form of violence, and it has and will continue to be a staple to the maniacal system that has enslaved nations and murdered countless people.

And yet, here we are; the TV never once bringing these issues to light, instead they focus on one kid who was killed months ago (my heart yearns for all those affected, do not get me wrong).

It's just.. madness. I feel as if I am one of the last sane people on this planet. We learn from history that silence of important matters leads to very, very, very bad things. We also learn from history, that we don't learn from history.

It begs the question to ask: "What's the point of being the voice of those who had theirs torn away, when all you'll receive is cynical rebuttles and knee-jerk emotional reactions?" I thought I lived in the country of the brave, the home of the free, where EVERYONE is treated equal and NO ONE is lesser than ANYONE. No, that is certainly not the case. Our elections, are selections. Auctions. Our country has transformed from a beacon of hope to one of greed; "get yours and cut anyone else down that gets in the way."

It's the elitist attitude, one of entitlement, where parents tell their children "they're special" when they really aren't (I am a prime example of this. I am your average 19 year old. I'm not special, but I was constantly spoon fed compliments about how awesome *I* am and how special I am.) And this has become the social norm. Children being raised in America feel entitled.

Those who are raised in countries being bombed by our forces? "Well that's just the way it is." I am so tired of this. My morals, do the right thing, speak the truth even if you stand alone, that were instilled in me, were nothing more than the shallow outline of what the actions should be. I can't take it anymore. I can't just "live my life."

I will not debate this in this thread, but if there is a God; well he's putting on one hell of a test. And I'm sorry, but we've failed. Collectively, we've sat back in our own comfort, too paralyzed to do a damn thing for anyone but ourselves. People post scripture on Facebook, saying to treat each other well and all that, yet at the very same time real life people who have feelings, who are just like you and I, are being murdered and no one bats an eye.

They talk about how Jesus did this for me, and I need to be grateful for it.

Why the f-bomb would Jesus take a bullet for me but let kids die from bombings? Where is Jesus and all of his love, why hasn't he awoken his believers into actually taking up action regarding atrocities that are committed on a daily basis compared to posting ridiculous scripture on Facebook to show everyone that Jesus is your homeboy and he's got your back?

It's ridiculous, it's insanity. I don't know what to do anymore. My mind is corrupted, I am plagued with knowing the true intentions of the powers that be and we all have seen the steps they will take to implement their endgame agenda. I feel like everything is backwards.

Look at Snowden. "See something, say something." The part they're not telling you: "Unless it interferes with our own agenda." Presidents get up in front of the television, and ramble on about doing the right thing and bringing transperancy, helping those in need; yet these same people are the ones authorizing the dropping of bombs on innocents. People see these speeches on the TV, and accept them as absolute with no question.

And the most heart-wrenching part of it all.. we live in such a beautiful and magnificent reality. As far as we know, Earth is the only planet that came under the right conditions to support sentient life. I don't care if a God made me, the matter of fact is that I am alive and I am aware. A seemingly infinite universe, that has more galaxies than we can fathom, that could all belong to something even greater. We are so lucky. As a species, we are truly amazing. As humans, we are corrupted, spineless, apathetic, cynical, and selfish.

It's such a shame, because our potential is astounding. We could explore the cosmos, we could learn so, so much. But no, instead, we're sitting here, watching the TV, arguing over the verdict of one life lost.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

"turn off your mind relax and float down stream..........

"tommorrow never knows" by Lennon and Mc Carthy

Released in 1966 on "Revolver"

The lyrics speak truth.

The truth may bring you comfort.

Peace and Love.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You have a very long rant but I would like to respond specifically to the title.

You express that you believe doing the right thing is pointless, however I disagree.

It is more a matter of philosophy. Do you base your success in life only on outcomes? Sometimes doing the right thing is in and of itself rewarding. I would rather do the right thing and still be able to look at myself in the mirror.

If you picture yourself naked before God or whatever you believe in are you still a person of integrity, kindness, love? In My opinion these things are the point and are a matter of perspective.

We can not control outcomes, but we can control who we are and that for which we stand.

Don't be discouraged by outcomes and enjoy the journey.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

That's the struggle I'm currently faced with, and it's tearing me in two.

I try to be the best I can be, day in, day out. I try to be friendly to the customers at work, going above and beyond.

Finding that balance of knowing these atrocities occur and living my own life feels impossible. It sounds so stupid, especially coming from me (I'm naturally skeptical and prefer logical reasoning over personal faith), but I can feel this weighing me down.

I'm becoming unraveled, and I just turned nineteen last month. I haven't even gone to college yet, and I feel like it's pointless because everywhere I go I will constantly be bombarded with "social issues" yet other social issues are all but ignored.

And if I ever stood face to face, or soul to soul with God (making it simplistic for sake of discussion), I would weep. For all of us, because we've lost the way.

I'm sorry to sound so mopey, but I can't help but doing so. I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I understand your frustration, I truly do.

Think of it in this way. The imperfections are already built into the system. Your job here is simply to be the best you can. To learn from others. To share your talents. Sometimes we are just there to listen.

In the end the only thing that matters are the other souls we meet, the relationships we forge and how we treated our fellow humans. All other things are illusion.

If you simply look at the world as it is then I can understand your despair. If you look at the world as a proving ground for soul, an opportunity to love and act justly in the worst of circumstances then life once again has value and you can see yourself in a more positive light.

You are still so young and times are more confusing now than when I grew up. Give yourself some silent time. Reflect on what is important to you. It hard to find peace in this age of cable, wireless devices and video games. These things make us feel empty. Take a walk in the woods. Get away from the chaos. Nature has the ability to heal us.

Finally, focus outside yourself. See each new person as an opportunity to learn. See each person as an opportunity to serve mankind. What can this person teach me? What can I do fir them?

Don't give up. Don't focus on things you can't change. Make a difference in one life each day!
edit on 2013/7/13 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wow! You said it all. And i feel ya...the exact...same...way. You might enjoy this.

You are not alone

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

I agree with most of what you have said and like you my constant love of truth and justice and the pain caused by the way things are have caused me never ending sorrow and a heavy heart.

Sometimes I have just cried for the world and for all of us. But I know that you will be causing those who love you pain if you cannot find a balance as I have been there.
If you think about it, scriptures like Matthew 24 tell us things would be really bad towards the end and it become easy to let our hearts turn to stone. That is the time to rise above it and stand firm.

I know you are not saying you are a believer in the bible or ancient texts but they hold in my opinion the only true hope we have, because clearly man will never rule man correctly or with love and without greed and prejudice.

…12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure to the end, the same shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness to all nations; and then shall the end come.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Thank you for the kind words, truly. Everything you said resonates with me because it is something I've always played thru in my head.

The things you said are really what I am beginning to strive for. The little things, really attempting to connect with people and learn from fellow brothers.

But my cynicism unfortunately clouds my judgement, because most conversations revolve around pop culture; video games, music, movies, the works. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love these conversations but it's all too rare that I can have the opportunity to actually talk with someone. And when attempting to do so, it's often ignored and people just give you that look like: "Wow. Did he really say that?"

I'm a very conflicted person, it's like the yin and the yang. Good and bad. But thank you, more than I can express. My gratitude for altruistic sentiments is beyond words, I truly appreciate it. Seems like most people would prefer to be calloused, act as if they don't care about anyone but themselves. It's incredible how even a nameless poster can show more affection and kindness than the very people who raised you.

Again, thank you.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Doing the right thing is a bit of its own reward. We never know the true extent of the repercussions of our actions.

I think one issue is that many see that the world needs to "change" to get different results than we have for thousands of years. However, their own apathy and inaction (on a large scale) prevents this from happening. I do not feel some type of "overthrow" will result in anything but more of the same. Even one of the "best" revolutions (the american revolution) eventually devolved into *exactly* the same issues they claimed independence from. This points to the issue existing in the foundation of our cultural story, and perhaps not in the structures that we build upon it.

But how does one person accomplish ALL of that on their own? They dont! All we can do is change it for ourselves, and try to build our own part of the road that will lead to a better place for all of us. Its a team effort. Through our cooperation or conflict, we directly create the world we live in. How many actually take a conscious role in this? Do you?

There are not many, but you are not alone. Idealism is not necessarily a bad thing, but when it is not paired with action, nothing more will come of it than thoughts an philosophy.

I dont think it is the government, or economy, or even corporations that need to be fixed but the way we use them individually. Like any tool or technology, it can be used for destruction or creation.

We all need to start working towards a better tomorrow, and not just blaming everything but ourselves. We all have a personal responsibility in how the world is, and where it is going. "Doing the right thing" is far from pointless, we just might not get the exact rewards that we seek from it. However, if you can inspire others to join in alongside you, then the true power of all of your actions multiply.

Every act you take, and every word you speak, makes an impact on the world around you. So, what bricks are you laying that will lead you and your loved ones to a better place?
edit on 14-7-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
You're not alone. I, too, was once in a similar situation to yours about being led to believe we live in a very sunny and happy world. But then reality came knocking at my door once I graduated high school. It came slowly at first. Then when reality finally decided to throw a brick at my head it all came crashing down.

I used to literally cry for those I saw suffering in the world, either through news stories, internet stories, etc. when it became apparent everyday horrors were happening globally. I tried to talk to people about it, but they don't understand. It's not "real" to them and I'm just "paranoid" and losing sight of "reality". Give me a break.

Finally it got to the point where I really don't care. I am sitting here, day in and day out, hoping, praying, we either change for the better, set aside our differences and live and let live. Or that we completely wipe ourselves off the face of the planet.

The whole Jesus thing is a joke. There's no point to him having died for your "sins". So you can wash that guilt from your consciousness. Only thing you can do is learn from your mistakes. Own up to them. And stop repeating them. Stop pinning your problems on the "devil" and asking Jesus to make you feel better. But people don't get it. And like good little brain-washed drones, they keep making the same mistakes and asking some savior to forgive them. Be better to be christ-like and avoid those "sins" in the first place than to keep grovelling to the image of a dead man begging for penance. (And they always harp on about idolatry when they worship the image of a dead man in their hearts instead. Hah!)

Anyways, my small ranting aside. I don't think humans have the capacity to wholeheartedly set aside their differences. Take away their creature comforts and they become the very demons they admonish. Be better for the planet if we all died out. I have zero hope for humanity. However, doing the right thing is the only thing that some of us CAN do to keep our own sanity. Despite my feelings towards humanity, I still can't bear the thought of hurting another living thing.
edit on 22-7-2013 by Robohamster because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join