It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! George Zimmerman found not guilty.

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Racial profiling actually happens. I don't want to give the impression that this is always in the forefront of peoples minds, because in most cases it isn't, but very often we have built into us via social conditioning certain preconceptions of particular types of people upon seeing them.

I think it is extremely unfair to jump the gun and pretend that blacks aren't in a severely handicapped position with regard to social status. I mentioned earlier the effect of crack laws on the black community. Crack coc aine is pharmacologically identical to powder coc aine. But since crack became a "pandemic" in the 80's, there's been a 100-1 drug policy which punishes crack coc aine related offenses 100 times worse than powder coc aine offenses. The net effect on this policy on the black community is astounding. 1 out of 3 black men will spend time in prison in their life. Since crack is cheaper than powder coc aine, its mostly poor inner city people who are affected by this law; and it just so happens that the majority of these poor inner city people are blacks.

Any socially conscious person can't help but see this as a miscarriage of the justice system. Sometimes, it seems blacks and their supporters are taking the "racial profiling" arguments to comical lengths. Sometimes, they're just angry with the overall condition of their community. Understandable, although it's not as prevalent as they imagine it to be. My point is: its plausible that racial profiling played into George Zimmermans decision to approach Treyvon Martin. And so long as blacks end up in prisons for non-violent drug related offenses which keep their communities struggling to enter the American mainstream, it's hard not to sympathize with their position.

So, perhaps you should expand your reading into this area.

link   

link   
reply to post by freedom12

What is a "hood rat"?

Trayvon Martin

You know what he meant. Did you see the Trayvon FB page?

Just asking Mr USMC.

Don’t hate!

edit on 14-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Some are physically ill and crying, some are in complete wonderment while the rest are just pissed.

Strange that so many people can be so physically, psychologically, and emotionally involved in this one case while our entire country is being taken down a dangerously tyrannical, Totalitarian, Police State road, while we are losing our rights on a daily basis. It shows really how uninsightful many people are.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
the jury reached the only logical decision possible, and i applaud them for it.

the media must be held accountable for how they portrayed this case. the bias of juxtaposing a picture of martin when he was 12 with a pic of zimmerman in county orange (all the charges were dropped against zimmerman) is incredibly blatant.

i love freedom of speech and freedom of the press, BUT that freedom ends when it is used to violate the rights of others. intentionally setting up a situation where riots are a distinct possibility (i wouldn't be surprised if zimmerman is murdered and chaos ensues) through straight up lies is NOT protected in the constitution.

i hope zimmerman sues the pants off the media, and that the bias they showed in the case comes to light.
edit on 14-7-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

We can only hope he sues the pants off the media but we both know that won't happen.. The media has become the single most form of control over the American people. It's almost as bad as the FED IMO. They work hand in hand.. It's such a core of evil that I'm not even sure anymore what can or will ever take it down.
edit on 14-7-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

Why do you not show the same resolve and commitment to action over the violence you visit upon yourselves in your own communities? You've been told this is a racial issue, so you make it one.
edit on 14-7-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I think you are over reacting just a tad.

Perhaps, however it's better to be prepared than impaired when the S.H.T.F and the way twitter and failbook have been lighting up with racist, anti white and threatening comments if Zimmerman walks don't be suprised if alot of people get hurt in this.
Plus this is ATS afterall.

I just hope it doesn't get so bad the military feels the need to get involved and start shooting, they don't descriminate targets in a firefight.
People of all colors would die, not just African-American citizens.

link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

Originally posted by usmconslaught

Originally posted by seabag
Hey, you can disagree but the important thing is that THE JURY AGREED WITH ME!

WORD!

Super Word!

I'm glad he got off.

Now these blacks know they can and will be killed.

Wanna be thugs, non-thugs, light skin, dark skin....don't mater.

If your black you better take this as a lesson learned.

We don't have to racially profile you, your all criminals anyway.

Justice at last!!!

I know this is sarcasm, but does it really matter what their colors were? It mattered to the press since they wanted to make it a white and black thing, but in the end both their colors was a moot point.

The lesson learned here is if you live in Florida and you decide to beat the crap out of someone they can shoot you. I don't think it matters the color of the person who is raining blows on your head....

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
So...no race riots, as some people were insisting were going to happen?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

His not being a police officer also meant that he didn't possess the same authority that a badge and uniform typically projects. He approached a "suspicious" person with a weapon. I think that was a little reckless and unwarranted if you ask me.

Maybe it was a little reckless but not against the law. Asking someone a question isn’t unreasonable either. What if Treyvon had turned out to be a rapist coming from a crime would you be praising George for having the courage to follow a suspicious character? Remember George didn’t know his age or who he was just that he wasn’t acting normal in a high crime area.

I still feel like you are pushing a narrative that people should ignore suspicious behavior, mind their own business, stay out of it and look the other way. It is the same mentality that has cost many other lives as well.

Here's another speculation. Do you think Treyvon Martin was on the verge of killing George Zimmerman, or was he just intent on giving him a good ass kicking? Was his life really in danger?

Lets take your train of thought a little further. If Treyvon had killed George would he have been guilty of manslaughter or murder? Do you think George thought Martin who he thought was acting suspiciouse to begin with was just trying to give him an ass kicking or kill him?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I am relieved that law was adhered to. Even though it wasn't in my state, the fact that the jurors didn't let emotion or conjecture cloud what the law clearly states. Given the evidence, there was only one conclusion these jurors should've made and they made it. It restores some of my own confidence in America, that the rule of law stands.

It doesn't matter what you feel emotionally, how you think it went down that night, what matters is if the evidence was enough to convict and it wasn't. At the end of the day justice prevailed and was done.

The end.

link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
reply to post by PLASIFISK

Trayvon was walking around at night wearing a hoodie in a neighborhood that recently had a spree of break ins. It's only natural that he would be noticed and followed, when you put everything in context.

Did Trayvon have the right to do so? Sure. And George Zimmerman had the right to be suspicious of him for doing so, under the circumstances.

Sooooooo he was wrong for walking through the neighborhood at night in a hoodie.

But wasn't it raining?

How was he supposed to know he was gonna run into Zimmerman, and that he should have carried a flashlight to be easily seen. And umbrella instead of his hoodie. And he his ID ready to hand to Zimmerman?

How?

link   

Originally posted by freedom12
What is a "hood rat"?

Just asking Mr USMC.

I'll spare everyone the facebook/twitter pics and simply say a little time over at urbandictionary should help straighten that out for ya ...

link   

Originally posted by ker2010
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I agree with the verdict cause the evidence to convict just wasn't there. However I think Zimmerman still made a poor decision in following. Playing Devils advocate how would you feel if Zimmerman told reporters tomm he tried to detain Martin and thats when Martin attacked? Since none of us were there this COULD have happened.

edit on 13-7-2013 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

The dispatcher pointed out on the stand that he could see how Zimmerman might have thought that he (dispatcher) wanted him to follow, because of what was said. It wasn't intended, but could have been construed. Either way, getting out of a car in your neighborhood doesn't give someone a right to assault you. We can second guess, and say what might have been, but that's true in any case. If Zimmerman had driven home, Martin could have followed him, and jumped him there, too. Or, noted where he parked, and done so later on. We simply don't know.

Even Jeantel didn't state that she heard anything indicating am attempted detainment. Speculation there, then, isn't relevant.

link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by freedom12

What is a "hood rat"?

Trayvon Martin

Just asking Mr USMC.

Don’t hate!

I'm not the one using the term sir, just offended that the poster claims to be a Marine from Illinois, my home state.

A "hood rat", doesn't even refer to a male. It's a slang reference to a woman.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Aye...Seriously, just read the word "probability" look it up, and take it into account. It means its not a frequent occurence i.e. rare. That it happens, I don't deny. That it can be considered something likely to happen, is ABSURD.

link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

They are purposely avoiding kill shots and yes they know of them very well.

Are you friggen serious? Have you ever watched an MMA fight? The notion that every one of their punches, jabs, elbows, knees and kicks follows a carefully selected path STRAINS CREDULITY.

Though I'm not that surprised that 3 people were dumb enough to not analyze the sheer implausibility of that argument.

link   

Originally posted by thatonedude

I just hope it doesn't get so bad the military feels the need to get involved and start shooting, they don't descriminate targets in a firefight.
People of all colors would die, not just African-American citizens.

The funny part is it will be black, white, brown or whatever shooting those bullets.

Once again it was the press that decided it was a race issue.

link   
reply to post by litterbaux

I'm reading way too often the phrase "justice has been served".... but has it really?

A young kid died, no one is being held accountable.

Now the justice system did work in this case. Before you scream contradiction... let me explain. Based on the facts of the case and the laws on the books in FL, Zimmerman is not guilty of 2nd degree murder. This is truth.

However, he used lethal force on a kid who's only weapon besides his hands was a bag of skittles. There needs to be accountability for this. Zimmerman should have just taken his ass kicking like a man. He did not HAVE to follow this kid. He did not HAVE to engage him. He did not HAVE to shoot him. Those were all choices that Zimmerman made.

IMHO, he choose wrong, and a kid is dead at the hands of a man. I hardly think "Justice has been served". In fact, just the opposite happened. Zimmerman should have been held accountable. Perhaps if the state chose their charges more wisely, then maybe the phrase could have been applicable to this situation.

I wish everyone would stop talking race and just talk facts. Our President is an idiot for speaking about it at all, let alone saying something as dumb as our last president would have said "if i had a son he'd look like trayvon"... no he wouldn't... He'd look more like Carton from fresh prince, but taller.

link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

Yo.

Are you blind, or have you ignored the fact that Zimmerman WASN'T "DA WHITE MAN".

No I'm not blind. Did I say Zimmerman rules the U.S? read more carefully next time.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join