It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! George Zimmerman found not guilty.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The prosecution had no case because Trayvon was alone and he was killed. The prosecution had hardly anything to go on. Zimmerman on the other hand, had a whole year to make his case. Yes we live with the decision, which is exactly where we were when he was killed a year ago.

But now, we have to fight all the legislation that is about to be proposed.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I don't see how you can transform this into a conspiracy theory narrative.

Ignore every assumption you've made up until now and consider this one question: would this have happened if Treyvon Martin hadn't been profiled, followed, and instigated with?

I'm not in the least bit challenging the right to bear arms. Everyone has that right. But no one has the right to go on their own and interrogate people just because they harbor a suspicion. They aren't police officers. When police officers do it, particularly to minorities (blacks and hispanics), they're questioned; and rightfully so!

For a moment, put yourself in the position of black Americans. Do you think they deal with racial profiling? Take the crack laws we have in place. Even though Crack coc aine and powder coc aine are pharmacologically identical, since 1986 (amended in 2010 by Obama) there has been a 100-1 policy. Crack coc aine dealers and users are given sentences 100 times greater than coc aine users. Now, is it merely coincidence that crack - the "poor mans" coke of choice - happens to be used most in poor inner cities? And that a large number of its users happen to be blacks? The indirect effect of this policy has been the exorbitant imprisonment of blacks.

Now, regardless of whether you think this was a cleverly hatched plot to imprison blacks (I don't think it was), the net effect has been disastrous for black communities throughout America. Many families have been held back because of this cycle of imprisonment and drug abuse, which in turn promotes a more general criminal activity (when you go to jail once, you begin to see yourself as a "bad ass" hardened criminal).

Now, lets return to this case. Treyvon Martin was plausibly profiled - followed and subjected to unfair suspicions by George Zimmerman. Of course, his response was excessive - but the issue was: did it warrant a gun shot to the chest? What I'm curious about, what I think should have greater merit, is George Zimmermans initial mindset: if he profiled treyvon, if he approached and interrogated him without rational justification, it seems to me that he would have been more than happy to pull that trigger and then claim "self defense".

link   

Originally posted by Thesickness
CNN really pisses me off. Loni is saying "just because he was proven not guilty doesn't mean he was innocent!"....soo, I always thought everyone was innocent until proven guilty. Poor George, not guilty and not innocent. What a paradox to live with.

edit on 01/08/2011 by Thesickness because: (no reason given)

Thanks, I don't have a TV for over two years, because that throw into the dumpster
was about five years overdue. But I had to hear that.. I got another good reason tonight

link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by jiggerj

Hey I live real close to the court house after the verdict was read I loaded a couple rifle and have them close just in case something unruly comes down the street.

Better safe than sorry.

Stay safe, Grim!

For the thread as a whole. People, think! Some are sensibly recognizing that no valid crime on the part of Zimmerman was proven, and that all indications are that Martin did attack Zimmerman. Some are having a hard time seeing this. For those, let me ask you a question. If these two were the same age and race, would you still assume Zimmerman was guilty? Is it based all on race, or on martin being seventeen? If so, do you think that's fair? Teens commit acts of violence all the time. They even, on occasion, kill other teens, or adults, or even children. Being a teen doesn't automatically bestow innocence. Being a certain color doesn't mean that, if something happens, it's because of the color. Being a certain color doesn't excuse being a criminal, either. Assuming guilt instead of self defense, based on nothing but emotions, isn't right. I HAVE a son, who was a year older than Martin when this happened. He walks at night. What he doesn't do is go around punching people because he doesn't like their color.

Now there is some ignorant woman claiming Zimmerman "Pursued" martin, and telling her KIDS to "stand their ground" and attack as Martin did. Attack someone because they walk where you do, or speak to you??? If something happens to one of her kids, because they attack, it's HER fault.

Now they are talking of some FEDERAL investigation of Zimmerman? So much for law? So much for double jeopardy not being allowed!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Maybe it is different where you are at but here you can shoot and kill a person who threatens your life.

It has happened and will happen again.

Maybe you missed where I said a guy was threatening another person at his house that person shot through his door and killed the guy and was never charged.

As for you saying police will not arrest someone for threatening someone life again maybe not where you are at but HERE they will and have. In fact it happened to a friend less than a month ago.

BTW I have a CCW permit and know the laws pertaining to castle doctrine and SYG here in florida. Self defense is a separate issue.

I'm in Florida, two counties over from you just to be clear.

Your stories are hearsay without a source I can read, and doesn't represent every interpretation of the law. You don't give any details about the guy standing at the door, which falls under the Castle Doctrine. Was he holding a weapon? Was he destroying the property? Was there a previous history of assault on record? Those are important facts, you can't support your argument without context. Cite the case and I'll be happy to read it.

You're wrong about verbal threats, flat out. You can only get a restraining order, the police will not arrest someone for making a verbal threat without some sort of action taking place. If I walk up and tell you I'm going to punch your face in, and turn around and walk away, you can not run up to me as I'm walking away and shoot me. If you do, you damn well better have evidence that I assaulted you or committed a felony, or you're going away for murder.

The story of your friend is anecdotal as well, you give no details other than your word. Provide a case number and I will be happy to go into the court docs and read it.

I also have a CCW, and you may want to re-take the test:

Perhaps non-deadly force, like pepper spray, tasers, your fists, or telescopic batons might be used. In my state of Florida, the standard jury instruction for the justifiable use of non-deadly force defines “non-deadly force” as “force not likely to cause death or great bodily harm.” However, even the use of non-deadly force is not justified if somebody threatens to hit you and then walks away. You cannot chase them down and beat them from behind and claim self-defense, because the threat of harm was not imminent. Sadly, those who use justifiable non-deadly force may still be charged with crimes.

Florida is a “No Duty to Retreat” jurisdiction, meaning that when confronted with force or the threat of force, you have no legal obligation to run away from your attacker. If you the defendant were not engaged in an unlawful activity and were attacked in any place where you had a right to be, you had NO duty to retreat and had the right to stand your ground and meet force with force, including deadly force… if you reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Source

I'm not going to argue semantics, it's detracting from the thread. But the point on the SYG law and Castle Doctrine do apply, which is the only reason I replied. If your stories are true, they are unfortunate circumstances, and at best, misinterpretations of the law which should get resolved by the Courts.

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidRonin
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The prosecution had no case because Trayvon was alone and he was killed. The prosecution had hardly anything to go on. Zimmerman on the other hand, had a whole year to make his case. Yes we live with the decision, which is exactly where we were when he was killed a year ago.

But now, we have to fight all the legislation that is about to be proposed.

And yet prosecutors all over the country for centuries have managed to obtain guilty verdicts in murder cases... odd.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If Zimmerman did not have a gun (or weapon of any kind) on him, I'd wager -- neighborhood watch dude or not -- that he would not have played bad-ass and gotten out of his car and close to this teenager. He was emboldened likely because he had a weapon.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Galadriel
If Zimmerman did not have a gun (or weapon of any kind) on him, I'd wager -- neighborhood watch dude or not -- that he would not have played bad-ass and gotten out of his car and close to this teenager. He was emboldened likely because he had a weapon.

There's no doubt that he felt safer having some form of protection on him when he was out trying to keep his neighborhood safe at night. It's a good thing too, or he'd have been killed while just trying to be a good neighbor.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

So we should all be unarmed scared people then? We should not have a right to protect our neighborhoods? I don't want to live in that world, I am glad I do not live in that world.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Protect you from what? skittles?

link   

I think you may be right. Regardless of the fact that I view him as innocent of murder, it is still a sloppy set of circumstances that lead to something that could have been prevented by simply keeping ones distance.

I carry guns. Privately and professionally. I use far more powerful weaponry than Zimmerman's 9mm Kel-Tec, and I would not be emboldened by my simple possession to attempt what Zimmerman did.

link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

So let me get this strait...hmmm. you think following someone is worse than being assaulted by someone.

Do you understand that one would be legal and the other is not?

BTW it is against T&C to mention forms of drugs here. Just FYI.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
What if Travon was white. Would your thinking be the same?

If the facts were the same yes, but apparently to you no

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by robwebbjr
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Also meant for LadyGreenEyes:
If I uphold the letter of the law and trample the spirit of justice, eventually there will be neither justice nor mercy for me from an all-powerful law.

Both law and justice are served when a person who commits a felony assault on another is shot for doing so.

link   
In my opinion, viewing this whole circus from afar, my thought was that the man was guilty of atleast... I don't know, something. I would have liked to have seen him sentenced to some years in prison, but alas, that's not going to be happening

So be it. I followed the trial halfheartedly, and I was quite surprised to learn this evening of the verdict, but I accept that he received a fair trail and that's just how sometimes these thigs turn out.

I hope no harm comes to the man, and I hope we don't see any civil unrest or bloodshed. By all reports, the tensions have been at an all time high and this may well be the catalyst for something very big indeed.

edit on 7/13/2013 by Monger because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos

Originally posted by jhn7537
I'm officially turning off all social media for the next 24 hours, twitter and facebook is insane right now...

Social media is downright disgusting at the moment.

Yea, I really can't believe some of the stuff people are writing.. People I consider friends... You can feel one way or another, but sometimes its better to keep your thoughts to yourself...

I rather like to know a persons opinion on matters like this, you get to find out who that person really is.

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

So we should all be unarmed scared people then? We should not have a right to protect our neighborhoods? I don't want to live in that world, I am glad I do not live in that world.

You do live in that world. Only in Florida and if your prosecutor is terrible would you get off like Zimmerman.

In most other places, you would have been charged with manslaughter and begged by your attorney to plead guilty because there was no way even Johnny Cochran could get you off.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

reply to post by TKDRL

No, to protect himself from having his head smashed into concrete repeatedly. Why does everyone think Zimmerman just went up and shot this kid. Zimmerman was being assaulted and protected himself. The "skittles" are irrelevant (although quite tasty).

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

reply to post by TKDRL

I'm sure that if he'd known that Trayvon was coming back from the store and only had skittles and iced-tea on him, Zimmerman might not have thought that he was a possible perp.

By the same token, if Martin had known that Zimmerman was packing heat, he might have thought twice about doubling back, hiding, jumping him and attacking him.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join