It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nice to meet you, do you have a resume??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
CV/Resume, whatever you want to call it. I can't believe how many people apply for jobs without one. I hope you realize how hard it is to interview people, take scribbled down notes and try and remember who they are after. Dear lord man. People applying expect us to remember them all? Here's a word of advice if you are complaining about not getting a job.

Hire someone, or find templates (for format only!) and draw up a cogent resume/CV. Ignore the standard template information (text). Just because everyone puts "Communication skills" on their resume, doesn't mean you have to. It doesn't necessarily mean you have communication skills either.

Put your strengths on it, not someone else's. Don't copy things which do not apply to you. If you put "Conmunication Skills" (sic) I probably won't believe a word on there, and remember the fact the interviewer is judging you. If you claim "leadership abilities" but you come in slouched, don't make eye contact and have trouble speaking, you are not selling yourself.

Almost forget (ETA) make sure you attach a picture. You can do this in word, a face shot like something you would hand in to a modelling agency. Black and white is fine. This helps the interviewer remember you.

/End rant
edit on 13-7-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Attach a picture? I've never heard of this. Seems to make sense though. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

CJ

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Pfft Ive had one. been using it for years. Damn resume couldnt land me a job picking up trash in a right to work state.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Agree!

Went to visit hubby in Florida where he is running a big job last week. While I was there he interviewed several locals for a few temporary positions with the possibility of a more permanent status after the job is done. He hired the only two applicants that in addition to their application forms brought a copy of their resume and had dressed neatly and acted professionally even though they were less experienced than many of the other candidates because they had put forth effort and seemed to want the job more by doing so.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by boncho

Attach a picture? I've never heard of this. Seems to make sense though. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

CJ

There have been a few people I was interested in hiring during the initial interview but I couldn't remember which was which, a headshot photo is a major factor because it helps you remember who is who.

Mind you, it is not just one certain thing that will ensure employment. If someone is strong in one category but it outshines the lack in another, they may be a solid choice.

If you are average or below average in every category, you are probably on the bottom of the roster.

My perfect applicant would be the following:

1. Sends email first with resume attached (picture in resume)
2. Follows up with a call to schedule an interview or comes in person. (mentions the email, if in person, hands me another but references the email "You can also check your inbox for a copy")
3. During the interview makes eye contact, answers question before I ask them.
4. Shows respect for authority. "If allowed" "If that is okay with you" "My intent is: if that falls in line with the wishes of the business"
5. Makes a follow-up call 2-5 days after the interview.

Sometimes for owners or managers they are simply too busy to put a lot of time into the hiring process, all these things make their job easier. Some time you might feel like you are bugging them or pressuring them. But that can also be beneficial to a lot of employers. They need reminders because of business demands.

Some small businesses might not like this approach. Or overly automized corporations like McDonalds, etc. If they say, we are unable to hire for 2 weeks for _______ reason, it may be wise to wait exactly that time before following up.

If they say they are merely taking applications but not hiring for 2-3 weeks, etc. I would call and remind them the day before they said they would make the decision, quick, concise and to the point -no small talk. "Hey Jim, just a reminder, I know you are making your final decisions tomorrow on hiring, I would like to remind you of my wish to work for the company. I hope I am given serious consideration for the position and wanted to remind you can get ahold of me anytime for questions or concerns." *Wait for response* "Thank you, look forward to hearing from you soon."

If you take some of the pointers I have listed here, roll it all into one neat package, with a little confidence, any position is yours.

Today I hire people, in the past I applied for positions. I can say that in the last five years I was never turned down from anywhere I applied.

For myself, I sought very specific positions, did my research on the company and by the time I get the interview it seemed more like I was interviewing them than me. My research allowed me to confirm information, and in a couple cases I told them things they didn't know about their own company.

People often say send out 100 resumes and try and get 10 warm leads out of there for interviews, and 1 should net you a job.

In the past I was able to go 1 for 1. I don't suggest it for everyone, but it can be done.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You hiring any sales people looking to make $100k and above? Thanks for the tips!

CJ

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I find it funny that there are some people that do not understand the routine needed for a good job interview. I remember learning the basics when I was a young teenager. To me, most of it is common sense.

Dress smart, duh.

Get there early/on time, duh.

Bring or already have submitted a resume, duh.

Just those three seem to be a challenge to folks, not sure why. They are very basic.

But alas, we live in a crazy world and it seems like people continue to just "not get it".

Le sigh.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by boncho

You hiring any sales people looking to make $100k and above? Thanks for the tips!

CJ

No.

But you might try media companies selling online or a CRM software company like Salesforce. Like any sales job you will have to prove yourself. But if you can make numbers you're guaranteed to earn that relatively quick.

6 figures is doable in telecom too, but tough to get into corporate biz dept, where you need to be.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Those are great pointers if you are not doing online applications.

Never thought of the picture part,
but that is easy enough to do these days and a new idea to me,
but I like it.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Here here!!!

Add to this: for the love of everything that is holy...

- Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. If you come in wearing pajama's, i likely will say something embarassing to you, then dismiss you to go find something appropriate to wear while taking up my time

- find a babysitter and leave your friends at home. I am not going to even bother interviewing someone who can't show up to an interview alone.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This explains so much!

One time I did show up to an interview drunk, naked and riding a lawn mower.

I didn't get the job but both the GOP and DNC wanted me to be their nominee for congress.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think it would take a miricle for me to get a job. The amount you have to work for the amount you get paid is a joke. Unless you have some valuable skill and can make six figures a year. but from that the g=v takes about 30% right off the top. Like it just seems so unattractive. Like if you have a career that you've dreamed of doing fine I could see that. But to have to work at a job you hate because you have no other options, as a slave to the g=v, no offence but that would suck. If I was desperate I'd do it. I mean you'd have to, but it's like this. you have 24 hrs in a day. 8 hrs to sleep 8 hrs that you'd have to go to this dismal job, leaving you 8 hrs to do your own thing. so you start to constantly and tirelessly use that 8 hrs and your weekends to start a small business. That's the way to get out of the rat race. It won't happen overnight but with enough effort and trying enough businesses and being persistent with them, you can eventually get out of the rat race. Food for thought

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

You can't be a total idiot and have a chance to own a business

Typically, minimum wage workers don't find themselves earning minimum wage because they are insightful, industrious, and make good decisions.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
No, A thousand times NO. DO NOT attach a picture. This is very poor advice. It reveals your age, race, and sex, ALL of which are illegal to use in recruiting employees. ANY reputable HR department would put a stop to that entirely because it puts the company at risk for a lawsuit for discrimination. If a resume DID show up with a picture on it, it would be removed prior to any hiring authority seeing it. The OP is likely a small potatoes kind of operation where he thinks he can get away with this, but if you were targeted, bud, you'd be toast in a second. Asking for a picture is EVIDENCE of intent to discriminate. It's something to subpoena and show the jury.

"You see, ladies and gentlemen? The evidence is right in front of you. Mr. OP did not want to hire Ms. Jones because she was [insert one or more terms here: old, a person of color, female]. He KNEW that and he didn't hire her BECAUSE of it. And it's blatant. It's right here on the application. This is outrageous and intentional discrimination, pure and simple!"

There are also a lot of myths about resumes. Some companies reject them completely, forcing you to apply online, for example. You really need to tailor your application to the requirements of the company. The basic issue is to "Get Noticed" so that you will get an interview where you can turn on the charm. YMMV for how that is done in your line of work, but you can't expect to succeed by a resume that looks like everyone else's.
edit on 7/15/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

you have a point.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I've heard that too. Unless your a model or actor.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

So I take it you apply in a burqa cause if they knew your sex, race or age it's an automatic court case?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Downside to this too. Maybe your age (young or old) now becomes a factor? Maybe your weight...or your race, etc., instead of your qualifications....

Two sides to including a pic.

As for applying without a resume', that is just crazy. In most cases, you have to go online these days anyhow, so the computer program can weed down the applicants with keywords, and then generate hits for a hiring manager to examine more closely.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

The OP is likely a small potatoes kind of operation where he thinks he can get away with this, but if you were targeted, bud, you'd be toast in a second. Asking for a picture is EVIDENCE of intent to discriminate.

It's funny that everyone assumes Title VII applies to all businesses. It doesn't. If you have less than 15 people, you can discriminate to your heart's content (so yes, he can certainly get away with it if small enough). It also doesn't apply to most independent contractors.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

So I take it you apply in a burqa cause if they knew your sex, race or age it's an automatic court case?

These days it could be. The burqa is a religious garment. Don't trivialize this issue. It is well established in case law. You ignore this or make fun of it at your own peril. .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join