It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Climate Change) Earths Increasingly Peculiar Weather - Causes & Effects.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm definitely old enough to remember the '76 heatwave and the havoc it caused. The south of England usually gets it's fair share of balmy summers, but here in north east Scotland, some years we get no summer at all...maybe a few days, or just one or two, or fairly warm something or other.

As of today, however, we has facing the prospect of almost three weeks if the forecast pans out of unusually HOT dry sunny weather, and the next week is forecast to be daily in the 20's. This is unheard of. It never happens like this here, so ya...someone smurfed the weather.

Great thread though...will read the technical stuff more tomorrow when I'm awake.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hell yes we have noticed it here in Ontario, for the past few days we have had a North wind and temps in the 32 C range.

Now the wife and myself have lived here all our lives and let me tell you when it is a North wind in the summer you get nice blue skies and temps of about 20C maximum.

I cannot explain it nor understand it......I guess there is a first time for everything.

S&F for a well written and researched thread.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Thanks to Everyone for the support!

People everywhere are declaring their regional climate as 'abnormal'. It's no secret. It's clearly a global situation. Based on the current scenario, here in the summer of 2013 - temperatures are obviously still high. Climate Change can work in mysterious ways; affecting certain areas differently. The Earth is extremely sensitive to even the slightest changes in the environment - and every action has a reaction, so to speak.

The increase in ocean temperatures could be because less ice is around to reflect the suns energy. Thus causing the oceans to absorb more heat. The melting of Arctic ice would also affect the Gulf Stream, and possibly other ocean currents. Minus the greenhouse gas effect, this could potentially cause another ice age. The Earth has experienced this warming/cooling cycle in the past - so this is why I mention to skeptics on the topic; why is it so far out of the realm of possibility, that this is the case right now? Everyone is so quick to mention that 'weather happens' - and not understand the science behind why, or how. - Failing to realize the impact other various changes can have on the entire planet.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
link

So my question is, when WAS the last time we seen a retrograde weather pattern such as this??
I am watching thunderstorms come in from the north east right now and I am sorry, but this is NOT normal!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Take a look at this 24hr satellite imagery: (I can't obtain the .gif file for this particular loop.)

www.weatheronline.co.uk...

I shouldn't have to explain what that looks like. - Incredible.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Amazingly beautiful!
The loops of the jet stream, dome high and Atlantic high pushing to form this is incredible!!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
reply to post by iunlimited491

Amazingly beautiful!
The loops of the jet stream, dome high and Atlantic high pushing to form this is incredible!!

I agree and It also has never happened before since the weather has been recorded accurately.

As the OP mentioned earlier I am seeing two Jet Streams and this is not going well for us in Ontario.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The jet streams on the other hand have been giving us a very mild summer here in SC.

We have had lots of rain, and while it has caused problems in many areas, it has filled our lakes and ponds back up to pre-drought levels. Enough so to where water is now higher than it's been before.

Temps have been quite mild for July here, mostly in the mid to high 80's which is unheard of here. Normally we're into the high 90's and over 100.

Many plants and trees that had been dying from lack of rain have come back to full, and new growth here where I live in the woods has exploded. I have seen and heard more frogs and bugs than the past several years. I've also seen a LOT more deer than we normally have.

Down side is that it's VERY humid (reminds me of when I lived in Thailand, the tropics) every day, and the bugs are out in full force.

This is also when we normally enter our "dry" season and only have the occasional pop-up thunder storm in the late afternoons. Instead, it's been like the mansoons of the tropics.

I would love for it to keep up, as it's been allowing for much more work outside. Instead of having to shut down after about 1pm when the heat index makes it too hot to get anything done. But more than likely the weather will shift again soon, and we'll go back to our normal oven bake summer temps.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Two thousand years ago there was very little ice in the European glaciers, yet life went on, I bet 'they' never gave a thought to the glaciers, more important things to think about, like food. (recent update from climate depot, I get one every day)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The melting of Arctic ice is not only going to disrupt the Climate, but the entire world economy as well.

As the Arctic melts, massive reservoirs of methane are being released.
Beneath the East Siberian Sea; just a fraction of one of these reserves being released as a result of melting permafrost, can have 'catastrophic' effects on the Climate and will likely come with a price tag that will rival the size of the entire Global Economy. Not only that, but the total cost of changes throughout the region and elsewhere is predicted to be much higher. It is being described by scientists and researchers as a 'Time Bomb.'

We calculate that the costs of a melting Arctic will be huge, because the region is pivotal to the functioning of Earth systems such as oceans and the climate. The release of methane from thawing permafrost beneath the East Siberian Sea, off northern Russia, alone comes with an average global price tag of $60 trillion in the absence of mitigating action — a figure comparable to the size of the world economy in 2012 (about $70 trillion). The total cost of Arctic change will be much higher.

As the amount of Arctic sea ice declines at an unprecedented rate, the thawing of offshore permafrost releases methane. A 50-gigatonne (Gt) reservoir of methane, stored in the form of hydrates, exists on the East Siberian Arctic Shelf. It is likely to be emitted as the seabed warms, either steadily over 50 years or suddenly. Higher methane concentrations in the atmosphere will accelerate global warming and hasten local changes in the Arctic, speeding up sea-ice retreat, reducing the reflection of solar energy and accelerating the melting of the Greenland ice sheet. The ramifications will be felt far from the poles.

Global problem - The full impacts of a warming Arctic, including, for example, ocean acidification and altered ocean and atmospheric circulation, will be much greater than the cost estimate for methane release alone.
www.nature.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
How are you people judging the weather as "Peculiar" ?

Most of you are barely out of school, how on earth would you know?
The earths been here for millions of years and had varying weather all through those years, so tell me, whats so different now?
The way I see it the only difference is that people are being TOLD that its "Peculiar".

Anyone remember the summer of 76? I do, it was red hot for weeks? How about the winter of 64/3? we were knee deep in snow for days?

Look outside people, its a beautiful day, nothing strange about it at all.

No offense but you were not on the Earth "millions of years ago" either.

You, much like I, and anyone else, have no idea what the Earth was like that long ago.

What's more important is that we are seeing these changes NOW and they will affect our future and the future beyond that.

edit on 29-7-2013 by VaterOrlaag because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join