It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Reuters: Yasser Arafat's Life Support to be Removed?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Reuters news reported this morning that Yasser Arafat died, only to be quickly contradicted. He took a major turn for the worse overnight and slipped even deeper into a coma after suffering a brain hemmorhage. Details are uncertain, but sources indicate that his life support may be removed today.

Reuters
Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath, in a strenuous denial, said Arafat, 75, was "very much alive", but several political sources said he had succumbed to the mystery illness that led to his being flown to Paris on Oct. 29.

A senior aide said Arafat, who lapsed into a coma last week, had suffered a brain haemorrhage. Palestinian sources said leaders were waiting for a senior Muslim cleric to arrive on Wednesday to give the go-ahead for disconnecting life-support machines.

"He is dead," one Palestinian source said. "He died after bleeding in the brain began last night. His bodyguards started hugging and kissing and telling each other to be strong."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Reuters
Palestinian President Yasser Arafat is dead, senior Palestinian political sources said on Tuesday.

The information from sources close to Arafat could not immediately be confirmed.

"He is dead," a senior political source close to Arafat told Reuters in Paris, where the 75-year-old leader has been lying in a coma at a French military hospital.

Asked to confirm Arafat's death, another official close to the president said: "Yes, he is dead. There will be an announcement soon."

Other news sources are indicating that Arafat "will be taken off life support" in the next several hours. His immediate status remains murky.

Also according to Reuters:

Reuters
...But Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath told CNN from Paris that Arafat was alive and no decision has been made to take him off life-support.

Some Palestinian officials are said to be making preparations to return immediately to Ramallah from France. There are fears that the announcement of Arafat's death may bring violence to the already troubled area.

Details to follow . . .

Related News Stories:
news.com.au

[edit on 9-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Again??

i think this time he has because his condition was getting worse every day. Oh well, the middle east is going to go into chaos now *looks on*

[edit on 9-11-2004 by infinite]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I was in my truck this morning listening to am radio and they were saying that
Arafat slipped into a deeper coma.

His wife won't let the plo Lts in because she fears they were the ones who tried to take his life or something.

They were saying there is no chance for recovery and will die....

But they didn't say he did die, but he's pretty much a vegetable...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
He has died like 4 times in the last week. I hope they can put him to rest this time.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Just as a side note, if this were most anyone but Reuters I'd be skeptical as well. Reuters, however, hasn't steered me wrong yet.

With any luck, the uncertainty is over and his family can begin the grieving process.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I read he's going to spend a year dead for tax purposes....(little Douglas Adams humor there)

Anyways, how can the Middle East sink deeper intop chaos? Only two things to my knowledge can worsen the middle east: Nukes and Chems.

Maybe, just maybe things could improve? I know its unlikely, but whats a little hope going to hurt?

[edit on 9-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
A sad loss. A warrior for Palestinian independence.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Warrior? Please, he used terrorism to serve his agenda. Dont get me wrong, the Palestinians are oppressed I wont argue that, but to call Arafat a "warrior" is silly. Maybe in some twisted way you could argue that he served a cause, but his methods were nothing but terrorism. You could make a strong case that his methods have worstened the plight of the palestinians.

The only half positive thing I could possibly say about the guy is he cared for his cause. But thats not much, Hitler cared for his cause too....

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
The only half positive thing I could possibly say about the guy is he cared for his cause. But thats not much, Hitler cared for his cause too....

So did Martin Luther King Jr. What's your point?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Now maybe the palestinians can have peace......Arafat never would have allowed it and therefore became a problem.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
A sad loss. A warrior for Palestinian independence.

This guy is a monster!

Did you forget about the Damour Massacre or what about the Munich Olympics? Not the mention the countless suicide bombings of recent memory that the PLO, of which Arafat is the Chairman, claim respnsibility?

This guy deserves to die.

[edit on 9-11-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Intrepid,

You even read my post? Maybe you should read it again. How dare you compare MLK to the likes of Arafat and Hitler. Man you are dissolusioned.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I read he's going to spend a year dead for tax purposes....(little Douglas Adams humor there)[edit on 9-11-2004 by skippytjc]

Ha! I reckon that even the eponymous 'Hotblack Desiato' could do a better job of cleaning up the middle east judging by the present lots efforts.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Intrepid,

You even read my post? Maybe you should read it again. How dare you compare MLK to the likes of Arafat and Hitler. Man you are dissolusioned.

I didn't compare anyone to anything. I was showing you that your reasoning was flawed. You could also say that Arafat was akin to Hitler because they both liked garlic. Maybe MLK did too?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Well, according to CNN which Im watching right now, he was reported dead and then he wasnt dead again. Right now hes not dead(yet). They say: "Hes alive"... and the rolling text on the bottom of the screen says "Arafat alive"...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Well, according to CNN which Im watching right now, he was reported dead and then he wasnt dead again. Right now hes not dead(yet). They say: "Hes alive"... and the rolling text on the bottom of the screen says "Arafat alive"...

Well, im at college and im just checking the news...

nothing yet.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Intrepid, my OBVIOUS point is there isnt much nice to say about Arafat. The only redeeming quality he can get any credit at all for is the fact that he persued his cause. But that isnt much either because the way he pursued it was through terrorism. Do I need to explain the Hitler refference now? To use MLK to prove your point to show an error in my logic comparing Hitler and Arafat is like mixing oil and water. Maybe if Arafat learned something from MLK's methods the Palestinian would be in a better situation right now and people WOULD view him as a positive figure.

And how dare you compare Hitlker and Arafat to Garlic!!!!

[edit on 9-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
If it's true, which is quite disputable based on the multitude of information sources regarding his condition then I say good riddance.

This man was responsible for so many blown peace deals that would have at least brought about progress, change and working together, that it's not even funny anymore. He was the proverbial "monkey wrench" for years and that will not be forgotten.

And that's even ignoring his past career as an uber-terrorist murderer! Many members here are part of the 'under-30' age group (myself included) and sadly many seem to honestly have no clue of what this man was involved in and helped perpetrate.

Warrior? That's funny. That's like saying cancer wages a gallant battle for control of the human body.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Fox News Alert...

Doctors expected to "pull the plug" on Arafat

That is the alert on FNC right now.... They are saying he has little time left.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I don't know about that Trojan. Reuters just posted this, in which it's mentioned that there could be some ethical implications involved.

PARIS (Reuters) - Yasser Arafat is alive in a French hospital and no decision has been made to take him off life-support, a Palestinian cabinet minister said on Tuesday.
"His state has worsened last night but there is no sign of ... death of any of his vital parts," Nabil Shaath told CNN from Paris. "We are not really believers in euthanasia ... It is out of the question that anyone will take any decision regarding life-support for him."

Possible that they won't take him off the machines at all?

EDIT to show link:

Reuters.com

[edit on 11-9-2004 by Djarums]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join