It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity a Religion of War?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Have you ever read the book of revelation, stand up and don't kneel or the words of Christ "Only god is good" which are indicative of him worshiping an ideal rather than a being which being goodness, now weather that goodness is embodied or not should not make one iota of a difference.
I actually like your comment here and wonder if you accept the reality of paranormal and spiritual entity's or the possibility of life after death.

Even with no god there is a fair possibility that consciousness can survive the death of the body using quantum theory and parallel universe theory as a basis for such a hypothesis and as you also may know recently it has been theorised that the human mind may actually exist as a quantum structure made up of several parallel reality's and/or dimensions interacting.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Fraudfinder

I'm not playing with words right now. Every word in that post you quoted was sincere and wholeheartedly genuine. I will accept no master, and should the day come when I must choose a supernatural entity to serve, I will choose mankind. We are sentient beings who deserve the right to rule ourselves without the dictation of any supernatural power, and any supernatural power who cannot accept that, does not deserve my soul nor my service. That is where I stand on the subject.

I understand what you are saying. It is your right to choose and you have - now live with your decision.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

I actually like your comment here and wonder if you accept the reality of paranormal and spiritual entity's or the possibility of life after death.

In my opinion, something does exist to the effect of those phenomena you have mentioned. Far too many documented cases have been recorded for anyone to declare otherwise. However, I would not presume to say what causes those things.

Even with no god there is a fair possibility that consciousness can survive the death of the body using quantum theory and parallel universe theory as a basis for such a hypothesis and as you also may know recently it has been theorised that the human mind may actually exist as a quantum structure made up of several parallel reality's and/or dimensions interacting.

One may speculate, which I am perfectly okay with. It's when an ill-founded theory is touted as fact and used as a basis for irrational debasement of others that I begin to have a problem. If you're going to be a prick, you'd better have a good reason for it. As far as I am able to discern, many religious people don't have a good reason, and that's the contention that many atheists are taking with them.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The most lethal weapons on the planet, from assault rifles, to cruise missiles, to 5th gen fighter jets, to aircraft carriers, armed drones, ICBMs, military satellites and battlefield robots are created by Christian engineers working for Christian governments/countries/armed forces, financed by Christian taxpayers.

Most wars and armed interventions started in the last 100 years or so were initiated by Christian politicians elected into office by Christian voters.

America - a Christian nation - has started more wars/armed interventions than any other country and currently holds the record for most civilians - predominantly Muslims - killed as "collateral damage" in these wars.

So yes, 20th/21st Century Christianity is indeed a "Religion of War".

Does this mean that all Christians are "Pro-War" politically?

No it doesn't. But many Christians easily become Pro-War when they are fed a "Good Guys vs Bad Guys" narrative by The Powers That Be.

Even if that narrative is as hokey, distorted and credibility-devoid as the one about Saddam having "dangerous WMDs".

In Summary: Yes, Christianity is currently a Religion of War. Sad, but true...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
No, the problem here is that Christianity shoots humanity in the foot by stating that peace is unattainable without the help of Jesus. Christianity cannot believe in a lasting peace because it goes against the tenants of its doctrine. Christianity has a doctrine that includes the Warrior God coming in to conquer and kill, not teach and love. Judgement, not Understanding. Conflict over Peace. Peace only comes to those that believe in Jesus, and that only comes after he has killed everyone else in bloody war.

I think you're equivocating the Christian's belief that peace is unattainable with a desire by Christians for war. That's a mistake. Remember, Christians also believe that "the poor will always be with you" but also engage (and are specifically called to engage) in many acts of charity. Likewise, the "bloody war" you reference isn't something Christians are supposed to get started. In the interpretations of Revelation (at least the ones involving literal war) that I'm familiar with, the whole affair starts off with the Antichrist taking over the world and instigating reams of human rights abuses.

(Of course, Christianity isn't a monolithic religion. Don't make that mistake either.)

Incidentally, the idea that humanity will never be at peace isn't uniquely Christian, IMHO. Humans are a pretty violent race, and most people with a sense of history recognize this–but it doesn't make them warmongers. I'll quote Robert Heinlein: "Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

In my opinion, something does exist to the effect of those phenomena you have mentioned. Far too many documented cases have been recorded for anyone to declare otherwise. However, I would not presume to say what causes those things.

One may speculate, which I am perfectly okay with. It's when an ill-founded theory is touted as fact and used as a basis for irrational debasement of others that I begin to have a problem. If you're going to be a prick, you'd better have a good reason for it. As far as I am able to discern, many religious people don't have a good reason, and that's the contention that many atheists are taking with them.

Ill-founded theory.......Christianity? I think NOT!

As far as you are able to discern?...........hmmm..... I guess you don't talk to many Christians, huh? Because most of them will tell you they have a good reason.... a very good reason...... to inheirit and live in the kingdom of God also known as heaven ...........AGAIN ........KINGDOM...........KING........... HE KING ......YOU NO KING....... GET IT?

I don't think so.

Heaven is not for everyone.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fraudfinder

As far as you are able to discern?...........hmmm..... I guess you don't talk to many Christians, huh? Because most of them will tell you they have a good reason.... a very good reason...... to inheirit and live in the kingdom of God also known as heaven ...........AGAIN ........KINGDOM...........KING........... HE KING ......YOU NO KING....... GET IT?

I don't think so.

Hmm, I am a Christian by the way, but I was discussing a hypothetical point. There is a god and he is good but there are also many living in the deepest darkness whom have actually closed there minds to a possibility, whom did Christ call fools' they whom say there is no god.
The logic that we exist is
IF there were no god how would any for weather scientifically explained or theological explained ever exist.
I will let god do my explaining for me, oh by the way I am also a firm marionite Christian and have little respect for so called Christians whom decry her, at the cross Christ made his apostle her son and he made her his apostles mother so completing the removal of the original sin for all Christians are represented by that apostle and we are no longer cursed as Mary was not corrupt with the sin of eve, he took our mothers and our place, our sin and gave us his mother and his life on the cross.
I can not apologise for you misunderstanding me or passing a false judgement,.

In all the universe what are the chance odds of being born at a time when the moon appeared exactly the same size as the sun, or you were sentient and not a microbe, on a planet just the right distance from just the right type of stable star in just the right type of galaxy.

Were I may differ from you is I refuse to blind myself to the universe for every great discovery brings us closer to an understanding of god (though we will never truly understand) and we witness what he put there to be witnessed.
edit on 15-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Oh, I understand the message you think this dude wants you to send...I just don't care! I have already explained my position. If you didn't get it the first time, read all of my posts in this thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LABTECH767

I don't think so.

Hmm, I am a Christian by the way, but I was discussing a hypothetical point. There is a god and he is good but there are also many living in the deepest darkness that can only be found when they have actually closed there minds to a possibility, whom did Christ call fools' they whom say there is no god.
IF there were no god how would any for weather scientifically explained or theological explained ever exist.
I will let god do my explaining for me, oh by the way I am also a firm marionite Christian and have little respect for so called Christians whom decry her, at the cross Christ made his apostle her son and he made her his apostles mother so completing the removal of the original sin for all Christians are represented by that apostle and we are no longer cursed as Mary was not corrupt with the sin of eve, he took our mothers and our place, our sin and gave us his mother and his life on the cross.

You speak blasphemy and you should be careful what comes from your mouth for you will be judged for those words.

I see your Catholic dogma teachings infused with your bitterness in your words and it appears I offended you. If I offended you than I apologize for that BUT I do not apologize and never will for speaking the truth. You do not speak for me.

Have you already forgotten.........John 14:6 - Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

NOT MARY OR THE SAINTS CAN SAVE YOU

OR THOSE IDOLS INSIDE YOUR CHURCHES:

ONLY............ONLY JESUS CAN DO THIS!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yeah I tend not to force my belief down anyone's throat and respect the beliefs of others (Except were they clash with my moral code) but sometimes I get really riled up, still I am scientifically educated and like many revisionists the parts of my faith I have difficulty with I try to find a alternative meaning for but most of those are in genesis and the lack of humanity that was sometimes shown in the old testament but we must remember that the morality by which we judge it was derived mainly from the culture that was born of the new testament (in my belief was given to us by Christ) so even you might agree in part there!, still I actually like the Buddhists (Don't like the Hindu religion due to the caste system or the Islamic one due to beheading my fellow believers and the fact they refuse to renounce slavery as well as child marriage and abuse and there claim Christ killed a child for kicking sand he was writing in with his finger) but am firm in my faith due to some experience I have had that this is not the thread to discuss and by the same measure I also am certain the enemy (devil) is also real though as a spiritualist I also believe there are many devils.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You did offend my and I am more sorry for being offended but I suggest you read up on the iconoclasm and why the icons survived in the church, not every one could read you know.
I also agree with you faith but I point out that Christ said there are many mansion's in my fathers house.
My belief is orthodox and as for the Catholic's well that means orthodox, your version of Christianity was born when the catholic Jesuit priest Martin Luther placed translations of the bible into German on his church walls, though your own interpretation came much later, so in the 1st century and the second where were those whom believe your particular fire brand form, a great many things such as lost letters and texts went into the formation of Christian dogma that formed the basis of the orthodox faith and there pre Constantine origin can be proven in there presence in the non nicean church's such as the Ethiopian orthodox, the Assyriac orthodox, the Coptic (they are strange in that they still in part worship the false ancient gods of Egypt as saints or angels but remember the gods of Egypt bowed to the infant Christ) and other ancient Christian churches.
The catholic church is indeed guilty of some terrible crimes ranging from genocide to being at one time an anti Christ in that is stopped the gospel from being preached to people in contradiction of the will of Christ, the Borgia popes famously worshipped satan at the alter in st peters, but the catholics whom are merely Christian's are my brothers and sisters, I disagree that harming someone and going to sit and tell a priest about it will gain you god's forgiveness as true repentance is between a man his victim and god whom knows the hear.

Sorry I got a bit shirty with you before.
See you there.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I too do not force my beliefs on anyone.

The truth is powerful and is as sharp as a two edged sword.

History clearly shows man can not rule over mankind so who should rule mankind? Who has that authority and why?

How about the one that created everything in the universe and beyond?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I don't think so.

Hmm, I am a Christian by the way, but I was discussing a hypothetical point. There is a god and he is good but there are also many living in the deepest darkness that can only be found when they have actually closed there minds to a possibility, whom did Christ call fools' they whom say there is no god.

You speak blasphemy and you should be careful what comes from your mouth for you will be judged for those words.

I see your Catholic dogma teachings infused with your bitterness in your words and it appears I offended you. If I offended you than I apologize for that BUT I do not apologize and never will for speaking the truth. You do not speak for me.

Have you already forgotten.........John 14:6 - Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

NOT MARY OR THE SAINTS CAN SAVE YOU

OR THOSE IDOLS INSIDE YOUR CHURCHES:

ONLY............ONLY JESUS CAN DO THIS!

Save it for the marches you are not a Christian but a delusional, I am an orthodox Christian with the greatest respect for the assyriac church. The catholic church has been guilty of a lot of wrongs in the past but you are an enemy within, A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL NOT STAND. While I forgive even if you don't ask it I assure you we will both be judged but god is merciful. spit the devil out (or at least try - it was those whom thought they were right whom condemned our lord) or as surely as god lives Christ will spit you out.
I am not an idolater but I suggest you read up on the iconoclasm.

THANK YOU I NEEDED THAT LAUGH.('
')

Maybe you want to stone me?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Interesting choice of words...considering the topic.

History clearly shows man can not rule over mankind so who should rule mankind? Who has that authority and why?

Don't we get to decide that for ourselves? Don't we get to choose who commands us? Or is democracy a foreign concept to your beloved deity?
edit on 15-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Though I disagree with stoning and don't take drug's maybe you should go and find a copy of cheech and chongs up in smoke (that is funny especially if you know any pot heads as we call them here).

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Don't we get to decide that for ourselves? Don't we get to choose who commands us? Or is democracy a foreign concept to your beloved deity?

My own shall come unto me, He offers his hand but you don't have to take it and he say's in the book of revelation I shall forgive them what they do not know.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

God's kingdom - a monarch system. No democracy - not everyone gets to vote. ('
')

A single ruler - one person - the same one who made everything.

Who thinks they have a voice equal to the creator?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

God's kingdom - a monarch system. No democracy - not everyone gets to vote. ('')

Then why give us minds and hearts and mouths to speak with? Minds to close with, hearts to stumble with, and mouths that only utter a handful of phrases related to our everlasting appreciation for his dominating demeanor?

What a crock.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

God's kingdom - a monarch system. No democracy - not everyone gets to vote. ('')

Then why give us minds and hearts and mouths to speak with? Minds to close with, hearts to stumble with, and mouths that only utter a handful of phrases related to our everlasting appreciation for his dominating demeanor?

What a crock.

DOES GOD HAVE THE RIGHT TO RULE?

DOES HE HAVE A RIGHT TO RULE OVER YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?
edit on 15-7-2013 by Fraudfinder because: FORGOT......

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

DOES GOD HAVE THE RIGHT TO RULE?

DOES HE HAVE A RIGHT TO RULE OVER YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?

I speak only for myself. Does he has the right to rule over me without my consent? Hell no. Go ahead, ask me why if you want to. Ask me why I say 'hell no'. I have some good reasons. Of course, if you've read my posts in both this thread and the one about atheism as a religion of war (look it up) then you probably won't have to ask.

Still, questions are welcome. I wouldn't want my position to be misunderstood.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join