It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low Self-Worth Motivates ATS Trolls and Haters

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't know what motivates trolls sometimes other than pleasure at causing someone to feel bad.

I get trolled, but I also know it comes with my line of threads.
You get haters, non believers and people who think you are lying,
but after while you just learn to ignore the ones who come at you from a negative angle.
Although I do try to even work with them, it becomes obvious after a couple of posts.

Just can't help that, it is in my nature, and a part of how I see myself.
I kill with kindness, because I am only responsible for my own actions.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I just sometimes wish that if people felt they were misinterpreted that they would say so and summarize or clarify their point again, instead of getting all grandiosely patronizing while further mystifying matters (or coming across like they're backpeddling on controversy).

If somebody doesn't get your point then explain it more instead of telling people they can't read, are going blind, their mind is gone, or they should learn comprehension skills.

I often feel like saying back,: "Well, why don't you learn how to express yourself clearly and properly"?

But it's best to err on the side of social graces, because such posts speak for themselves and question whether the author of a confusing post is willing to further defend their original argument, or is diverting.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

"Well, why don't you learn how to express yourself clearly and properly"?

That is a learned skill, especially in text,although for some it does come naturally.
Not everyone is good at self expression.

Although it is a very handy and good skill to learn/have.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I am not sure that many are even remotely interested in learning through the process of discourse.

I think its more a matter of just constantly confirming bias than anything else.

I would even propose that this starts in our education system in most first world countries. They arent really based on learning, but on indoctrination. So, even in our very foundation of learning, it is more focused on "this is how it is, convert now!" than it is on "this is how we learn, and these are the things we have learned so far."

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by charles1952

It is a totally unconscious act, I believe.

Do you believe that you have no choice in your own actions? At what point did you give up your power?

No, I meant that we do these things whilst our motivations are not at the forefront of our mind--we are not aware of a deeper problem within ourselves; or it is one that is ignored and pushed aside.

This is what I mean when I say it is an unconscious act. The bully hurts defenseless kids to mask his/her own shortcomings, and projects those feelings onto someone else so that they don't have to confront them internally.

That's my take on it anyway. I could be wrong.

edit on 14-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Forgive me for being pessimistic, but this most recent page seems to be telling me that there is nothing, really, to be done. There will always be "Mad Dogs," and while we can be polite for awhile, eventually we just have to leave the field for them to play in.

I don't have an answer, I was hoping for the brilliant minds on ATS to supply that. It seems, and forgive me for being so blunt, that the "People" just have to go into hiding, maybe talking among themselves, and letting the "Mad Dogs" take over more and more of the culture.

Please tell me I'm wrong, that there really is hope.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I was about to say the same thing. It's a little ironic that in a thread about not trolling people, folk are already losing their temper with one another, albeit in a passive way.

Amazing really, it's almost as if the heart of the thread has, once again, been lost to protect someone's ego. What a shame. It was nice talking to you Charles. I'll add you as a friend as I like you, you seem like a kind person, truly. I look forward to future debates.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I will tell you that you are wrong Charles (of course I could be mistaken about that
). Nobody should go into hiding. Teach by example my friend, that is what we all should do. Even though the "haters" accomplish their objectives sometimes by causing us to lose our tempers, we must "shake off the dust" and remember who and what we are, remembering that if we all walk away there will be no good examples left to follow allowing the "mad dogs" to completely take over. We must remain and "fight the good fight" and continue to lead by example.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I believe EVERYONE is capable of the Heated argument, that might cross the line. Having a sense of reality, and knowing ATS is filled with average people should ground the regular guy. But you do have those that are in it to "win it", by what ever means. Making it a game within their own minds. Those folks don't need ATS, and are not looking for common ground, or answers. You can spot them a mile away. Usually, they are gone within the year......

Sometimes a day.......

Great Thread Charles.

After reading through some of the Zimmerman threads, I see how this thread can bring back focus and awareness to those who are truly vampires.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Dear littled16,

Thank you very much, I wanted to be shown to be wrong. Is this a case of "Turning the other cheek," or, perhaps accepting the "martyrdom" that was mentioned on the first page?

It seems, and forgive me if I'm getting too religious, that this would be the kind of sacrifice (on a smaller scale) that Jesus had in mind when he accepted suffering for the good of others. True love, in other words.

Well, it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Dear sonny1,

Great Thread Charles.
Thanks, but looking back over it, it was you and the other posters that made this worthwhile. It is, to continue in the religious vein, a real blessing to me to see ATSers discussing a subject calmly, and thoughtfully, even though we have to look into ourselves and judge ourselves. Thank you.

But you do have those that are in it to "win it", by what ever means. Making it a game within their own minds. Those folks don't need ATS, and are not looking for common ground, or answers. You can spot them a mile away.
You're absolutely right. When I started this thread I was wondering why some people are like that, and my first guess was low self-esteem. But maybe it is a form of mental illness.

But I wonder, if you are right that there are people who have "winning it" as their sole desire, does littled16's suggestion about being a good example and teaching them make any sense? Or would that just irritate them and increase their anger?

Or, just to complicate it further, are there two groups of "Mad Dogs," those that can be taught and those that have to be (metaphorically) shot?

After reading through some of the Zimmerman threads, I see how this thread can bring back focus and awareness to those who are truly vampires.
Yeah. It would take about 4 pages to say everything that has to be said. After that it's "How can you be so stupid? I told you what the right answer was. Here, I'll tell you again."

Well, the case is over and maybe, in a few days, we can get back to mamabeth's recipes, economic analysis, alien abduction, and possibly even serious topics. "Hope springs eternal . . ."

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Is this a case of "Turning the other cheek," or, perhaps accepting the "martyrdom" that was mentioned on the first page?

I wouldn't necessarily consider it either of those things Charles, but would classify such actions as "Rising to the occasion". Would you consider the teacher standing at the blackboard who knows there are those two students in the back row of the class just waiting to shoot spitballs at the back of her head a martyr? I would not consider the teacher such, and there would certainly be no "Turning the other cheek" for those spitballers either but rather a stern "schooling" to show them that such actions would not be tolerated, albeit in a polite way. School those trolls and haters Charles, but do it in a way that teaches respect and proper form. Not an easy task and by all means not always viable lest one risks stooping to "that" level- but necessary to lead by example for those who have been taught no other way!

Remember these words: You are an experienced contributor to ATS. Please be an example for our newer members and make every post matter.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

You are all alone. The computer is before you. You have complete anonymity. You click on a forum. You start to write, and the words quickly draw an image of your true self. Are you giving your honest opinion, or are you being a spoiled brat hellbent on being as verbally destructive as you possibly can? You see a reflection on the monitor peering at you from your very own words. Yeah, that's you.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Jiggerj, I have to hand it to you. You definitely have a great talent for cutting through the BS and getting directly to the point in the most fabulous way! Bravo!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Thinking far too much.

Trolls troll for the lols.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The children that are brought up with the the belief that each is more special than the rest and that everyone is a winner and that they can literally do no wrong. When these kids grow up they are in for an extremely rude awakening,

Kudos to you, and to Charles. I think that both of you have hit upon major points regarding this issue. I retired as a professor almost a decade ago, so my experiential knowledge is that old, but even then, there was a predominant entitlement belief in the students at that time. In addition, I would frequently find students with minimal writing and oral skills, and upon further investigation, found many times that these students received A's and B's throughout high school. Many of these students never would have made it out of high school thirty to forty years ago. Parents complain that if their children don't get A's and B's, they won't get into a good college, and when they put pressure on the school boards and teachers, both groups normally give in. As a result, the students "graduate" with grades, but not much more. I won't go into the entire union issue, as I've done that in many past threads. Threats of law suits, etc. add to the problem. The bottom line is that, quite bluntly these kids have been pampered, treated like kings and queens, given little real responsibilities, and told how special they are. Therefore, once they get into an intelligent thread, they are ill prepared to debate in an intelligent way, and thus, they use the only weapons that they have, namely anger, resentment, and a host of other unpleasant barbs. They were never forced into a rigorous routine of critical thinking. Imagine how ill prepared these people are for careers in the 21st century. Is it any wonder that young adults from countries other than the US are taking their jobs away? It is a sad situation, and unless people wake up, it will only continue to get worse. The situation here at ATS merely reflects what is happening today in our society, I am sad to say.
Star to you, and S&F to Charles

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

What an enlightening reply, and "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak! I knew there was a very serious problem in our high schools five years ago when it came time for my youngest child to research and write her Senior term paper. Rather than having to seek approval from the teacher for the subject (in my day it was required to be an in depth study of a serious, provocative subject) the students were allowed to pick any book (including "mangas"], movie or video game and were given a list of questions to be answered in their final papers- and only had to cite two references (blogs could be quoted). Little to no points were deducted for improper form or grammar and so long as they turned in a paper (even weeks late) they were given a passing grade. If these are the future leaders of our world we are in very big trouble!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Dear jiggerj,

As another poster pointed out, that was a nifty piece of writing. It gave me the impression that you believe the "Mad Dogs" are mad dogs to the core, that's who they are, and they're never going to change. If true, that relieves us of the responsibility to try anything to help them. Did I understand you correctly?

And, if so, how do we live with them? They're not just on ATS, although that's the immediate problem. They're in real life, too.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Dear ProfEmeritus,

I always admire your work, remind me to visit your profile to find out where you are on display.

I read your post twice, largely for the enjoyment and to make sure I didn't miss a nugget, and the second time through, this comment grabbed my attention:

It is a sad situation, and unless people wake up, it will only continue to get worse. The situation here at ATS merely reflects what is happening today in our society, I am sad to say.

Many times on ATS, one can find a clarion call to "Wake up, people!" It is said in regard to the hypothetical dangers of a contaminated food supply, chemtrails, the 9/11 bombing, subliminal messages from the illuminati in our commercials, HAARP, etc. In short, many things which are non-existent or beyond our power to affect.

You and other posters have outlined things which are already destroying us as a rational society. The school system is in our power to affect, yet it is discussed rarely on ATS and only given lip service in the real world. Have we begun an irreversible slide into a dystopia?

If I were to guess, there will remain a small group of individuals, call them perhaps "The 2%" who will ensure their children become healthy, educated, and well connected to each other. They will become hereditary rulers of the country, and the rest of us will be relegated to a land of entertainment and welfare payments. (Not unlike that depicted by the filmIdiocracy.)

As I asked earlier, please tell me I'm wrong. This is turning into a more depressing thread than I expected. And please don't think I'm criticizing any of the posters. For some reason, the "Mad Dogs" don't seem to like it here. That is a gift from the gods, which I treasure. Thank you for contributing. And littled16 knows what I think of her.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by jiggerj

Dear jiggerj,

As another poster pointed out, that was a nifty piece of writing. It gave me the impression that you believe the "Mad Dogs" are mad dogs to the core, that's who they are, and they're never going to change. If true, that relieves us of the responsibility to try anything to help them. Did I understand you correctly?

And, if so, how do we live with them? They're not just on ATS, although that's the immediate problem. They're in real life, too.

With respect,
Charles1952

I think it's in all of us to be &^%$les from time to time, but the only ones that can change are those that have the ability to look at their own deeds. If people don't have it in them to look, then they will never change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join