It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I sure do miss our once friendly yellow sun of yesteryear

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by be4ne1

I'll parrot many of the comments and agree the sun does indeed seem much more intense. And it has an ominous "radiation" feel to the heat. That's not really a moronic statement-- I mean like unnatural in some way. And the actual appearance of the sun as well, seems much brighter, harder to even glance your eyes by- usually by accident. It seems to actually "hurt" in a way. Doesn't seem right.

It's funny you should say it that way. I'd use much the same description, actually. I noticed it years ago on the truck and even behind the UV glass of the cab, I came to need sunglasses almost all the time when the sun was within line of view or sight. When I got off the truck, I found an aversion and sensitivity to direct sunlight I've never known before in my life. It was disturbing at first, to think I may have changed that much...but then discovered my aversion and experience was common among those I know in Real Life. The subject just doesn't come up much.

It seems a great many people have noticed it. Simply being IN the sun feels like being burned in real time, at times. It's almost creepy in how..aggressive it feels. Sunscreen keeps me from burning like a Lobster (I used to get compliments and sassy remarks from family about how I could get a golden tan in a firestorm... I loved my ability to NEVER burn... (sigh) ) and I find I need it just to be out for more than 30-45 minutes. As it is, if I'm facing the sun, my face burns noticeably within an hour or less.

This is NOT the sun I've spent most of my life under, that's for damn sure. Something changed....on Earth side or Sol side. Something, however, changed. I'd stake anything on that fact.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
There are days when I go outside and find the color of the sun to "feel really strange".

This may have to do with my location - Asia Minor.

Still - the sunlight I remember from my youth didn't look like sunlight looks to me today.

Maybe the human eye changes with age, and my youthful eyes saw the sun differently than my 30-something-eyes do?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn, however, that it isn't my eyes that are the problem, but rather that the earth's atmosphere has changed in the last 30 years, and that sunlight looks/feels different as a result...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You'll have your milder sun back in about 2 years or so. Right now is the solar maximum, and I think 3 years ago it was much milder, so I figure in another 3 years or so it will be back to that level. Just come out later in the day and you'll have your mild sun.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I believe the OP is referring to the color of the sun in poetic terms. I'm surprised that people are relying upon nostalgic memories and then claiming them to be factual. It's nonsense.

The sun has NOT changed in any way since the 1970's, 60's or 50's for that matter. You can easily access the Total Solar Irradiance information online from any number of sources. The variation in solar output is less than 0.1% during the 11-year sunspot cycle, and there is no evidence that is has exceeded 0.2% during the last two millennia.

The color of the sun has NOT changed. It still is white and always has been. It appears yellowish because the oxygen/nitrogen mix in the atmosphere scatters the blue light and thus subtracts it from the white, giving a tinge of yellow. That's also why the sky is blue. Pollutants in the atmosphere can change the color, but the sun itself has not changed. If people are perceiving color changes then it's due to human pollution of the atmosphere, or increased dust from volcanic sources.

The apparent heat from the sun that you feel on your skin is dramatically affected by the humidity. The higher the humidity, the hotter the sun "feels" on your skin. That's all. Nothing more to it.

edit on 15-7-2013 by AstronomyAddict because: Additional Info

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
I don't think the sun has changed. We have. I have been giving this a lot of thought lately actually. According to whistleblower Edward Snowden the governments have been chemtrailing the atmostsphere with some kind of nano particles and I been giving serious thought to as what that could mean for us?

I think that was proven a false story?

The changes also have effected the plants. I have an acre of flower garden and after all these years there have suddenly been many many changes in the plants.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AstronomyAddict

I'm not exactly sure how someone who purports himself to be so smart can so easily misconstrue the whole point of what somebody else has written. Unless your point was to misrepresent myself, in which case shame on you. And if it was to deride, doubly shame on you. And if that's also the case, then I would suspect that you have little confidence in your scientific facts.

Next time, you'd do better just to stick with the facts as you see them. Because you're not off to a very good start here.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I've been noticing also small holes in the leaves of very thin leaves for a long time, the ones that get a lot of sun. Some say insects, but I've studied the leaves outside for hours, and it's not insects.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nOraKat
You'll have your milder sun back in about 2 years or so. Right now is the solar maximum, and I think 3 years ago it was much milder, so I figure in another 3 years or so it will be back to that level. Just come out later in the day and you'll have your mild sun.

The solar cycles of the past occurred and yet the sun would still be yellow. Now it's white. So that's not it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lada2000

There are days when I go outside and find the color of the sun to "feel really strange".

This may have to do with my location - Asia Minor.

Still - the sunlight I remember from my youth didn't look like sunlight looks to me today.

Maybe the human eye changes with age, and my youthful eyes saw the sun differently than my 30-something-eyes do?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn, however, that it isn't my eyes that are the problem, but rather that the earth's atmosphere has changed in the last 30 years, and that sunlight looks/feels different as a result...

Well that's the catch all net for when all else fails by the thought police in trying to keep the shade pulled down on their eyes from noticing the eyesore sun of today.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by be4ne1

I'll parrot many of the comments and agree the sun does indeed seem much more intense. And it has an ominous "radiation" feel to the heat. That's not really a moronic statement-- I mean like unnatural in some way. And the actual appearance of the sun as well, seems much brighter, harder to even glance your eyes by- usually by accident. It seems to actually "hurt" in a way. Doesn't seem right.

It's funny you should say it that way. I'd use much the same description, actually. I noticed it years ago on the truck and even behind the UV glass of the cab, I came to need sunglasses almost all the time when the sun was within line of view or sight. When I got off the truck, I found an aversion and sensitivity to direct sunlight I've never known before in my life. It was disturbing at first, to think I may have changed that much...but then discovered my aversion and experience was common among those I know in Real Life. The subject just doesn't come up much.

It seems a great many people have noticed it. Simply being IN the sun feels like being burned in real time, at times. It's almost creepy in how..aggressive it feels. Sunscreen keeps me from burning like a Lobster (I used to get compliments and sassy remarks from family about how I could get a golden tan in a firestorm... I loved my ability to NEVER burn... (sigh) ) and I find I need it just to be out for more than 30-45 minutes. As it is, if I'm facing the sun, my face burns noticeably within an hour or less.

This is NOT the sun I've spent most of my life under, that's for damn sure. Something changed....on Earth side or Sol side. Something, however, changed. I'd stake anything on that fact.

Now there' a real account that I can trust. Glad you came here to give your account. I'd also stake anything on this fact.

When I was also growing up we had one of those bulky vhs video cameras...the one where you had to strap a recorder unit over your shoulder! It was bulky yeah but at least it got my attention on the lighting of the sun. You had to do a manual white balance on something white or your picture wouldn't look right.

I remember one day playing with the exposure too and made the picture almost all wash out white while filming my dogs and things. Funny how looking back on that scene now is closer to the kind of light we get now from the sun.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

Originally posted by UnclePhil
Whoa people! Do not under any circumstances stare directly into the sun. It can cause blindness and severe damage to the eye which includes cataracts.

i Dn'ot tihnGk srating teh sUn dmaage tHe eeys!

I don't think anybody is suggesting that. I don't think anybody can do it now anyway. Anybody watch that sungazing video? The guy developed cancer on his retina didn't he? And he was looking at the times of early sunrise or sunset.

I will say this, however, that you might want to keep the sun in your periphery for a few minutes each day. Not only does it help your mood, but for me it helped heal a problem I had with one of my eyes going bad.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazootica
I've always looked at the sun ever since I was younger. I remember to start doing it around 5 yrs old after we had a ecclipse it just fascinated me ever since. I definitely notice that it's brighter and whiter. Before I could look at the sun for at least 10 seconds without my eyes tearing up and not being able to do it anymore. Now in a fraction of the second it does the same thing and is definitely more white. I even got a sunburn on my eye a couple weeks ago and that has never happened to me before!

Can the light be intensified as it's coming through our chem-trailed sky? It seems like it would be opposite but i'm not sure about it. Never got a sunburn until 1993 when I got burned/blistered terribly for the first time at 10 yrs old.

Yeah, you're right, it was more like 10 seconds for me too. Definitely more than 5. Yeah insta-hurt for less than a half second today. And there's no change in the sun? Ha, what a crock.

Who was the newscaster that also got a sunburn on his eyes not too long ago? Was that Anderson? But he was on the water, so I guess that could be more common there, but I still never heard of it happening until recently.

Yeah I never got sunburned as a kid, just tanned and then back to white and freckles during the winter.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge
reply to post by CircleOfDust

yes the good old days of atari but you forgot to add

the old taste of kia ora orange oh how i miss that taste

its not been the same for some years now maybe 20 years or more

I had to look it up lol But the advertisements look to be ummm not quite PC for today ha.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012newstart
I will confirm the memories of OP of a much milder Yellow Sun. It was the same for me too. The sun was yellow and not so dangerous to burn if you care. Now is white and dangerously stronger.

Moreover, I used to watch beautiful reddish sunsets and sometimes sunrises. Especially the sunsets with clouds, were still available to watch some years ago. Now I notice that Practically I can't see a red sunset, not even yellow. The sun sets almost white (yellowish in the latest minutes).When there are clouds, they either block the sun completely, or let the sun go thru as...white again! It doesn't become red, not even thru the clouds, as on all those beautiful photoshopped wallpapers that you can download.

Will we all burn soon? Hope not. Hope something will happen meanwhile to save us somehow by a star that becomes increasingly violent. Everyone can check how often the activity of the sun changes and how unpredictable it is.
www.solarham.net...

I think you might've "red" my mind, beautifully put. And something I wanted to mention myself, but I don't think I could've described it any better.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Staroth

I really enjoyed your post and can certainly identify with nostalgia! It's a great place to be! Also, I agree with you on the sun and remember it just how you do, it's not anything like it use to be.

Thanks, it makes me happy when I think about those things and when things resonate with others too. But it can also tear you up inside, how everything is just so temporal and changing.

But I have to remind myself all the time that my leaving the comfy confides of one situation has always led me to something else. I'm not sure if always better, but I'm always better for having to experience it. And I'm thankful for the newness of the new as well as the familiarity of the old. Needn't pick just one, do we?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I actually had to go out and purchase a new, stronger solar filter for my telescope a few years back. I can't look through my other one anymore, it kills my eyes.

There's no doubt in my mind something has definitely changed in our atmosphere causing a change to the light disbursement/diffusion and maybe even the strength of the rays coming through.
edit on 15-7-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It's global dimming due to the Solar Radiation Management in place.

I used to burn easily as well, now I take extra vitamin D when I know I will be out in the sun and it does help. I supplement with 2500iu/25lbs if bodyweight and double that for extended outings in the sun, such as biking for 6 hours straight. Mild sunburn if any at all, that does not last, I will continue to do this, it really helps me a lot.

I am also above 10,000' elevation, everyone burns faster here than at lower elevations anyways.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Look at the recent shots of the sun from the space station. It's white, so the sun looks white regardless of the atmosphere now.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by toastyr

Do you use any sunscreen?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Just curious do you think something is 'wrong' with the sun..? You think maybe its slowly running out of hydrogen? (I think it's hydrogen anyway) If I'm thinking correctly it should start expanding when it starts trying to fuse its helium instead of hydrogen.. I do not think that would be good. Not for us, not for Martians.. Just wondering what you think my friend?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join