It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Zimmerman Effect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If you want to discuss the Zimmerman Trial itself, please contribute to the Zimmerman Trial thread.

By now everyone is familiar with the George Zimmerman trial, even if they don't want to be. It has gained a foothold in the American psyche and even outside our borders. There have been other trials that caught the attention of the media and then the public, like the now-infamous OJ Simpson Trial, but to my memory nothing that went so far as this one in splitting the country down an opinionated divide.

I have met no one to date that honestly doesn't have an opinion. Everyone I have spoken to about the trial (and quite a few I haven't) either feels Trayvon was unjustly killed or Zimmerman was acting in self-defense. I have yet to hear "I don't know" or "I'm not sure." Even more amazing, the opinions are never held lightly... those who think Zimmerman is innocent are adamant about his innocence, and those who think he is guilty are adamant about his guilt.

Now, there is already a thread on ATS about the trial itself, located here; this is not about the trial. Please do not bring trial arguments into this thread. This thread is about a theory I have. I call it the Zimmerman Effect.

Essentially the theory is that people in the US have become divided along a line that is not as obvious as race, income level, political affiliation, or anything so noticeable. The dividing line is along fear of authority. There are now a good number of people who, unlike in earlier years, are so distrustful of the police or legal authoritoes that they trust a more criminal element than they do the law. There are also those who are so fearful of that criminal element of society that they place full and total faith in law enforcement. The former appear to be pulling for a guilty verdict for Zimmerman, while the latter are those who are proclaiming his innocence.

This fear is apparently so deeply rooted that as it bubbles subconsciously to the surface through the Zimmerman Trial, it causes people to act contradictory to their normal personality. Some have gone so far as to threaten riots if the "correct" verdict is not reached. This has even gotten so widespread that some areas have plans in place to maintain control should it happen.

The first step to understanding people's reactions is to understand their base, where they are coming from. So in that light, I want to try something:

I am asking everyone to simply reply with two things: One is the honest, soul-searched answer to a hypothetical question: If given a choice between a uniformed police officer and someone who is young, disheveled, and apparently street-wise, which would you be most wary of approaching? This does not need deep thought, situational ethics, disclaimers, etc. I am looking for the subconscious, knee-jerk reaction you would have to those two individuals. Cop or thug? Which do you fear the most?

The other thing is a simple guilty or not guilty, not on what you think will happen, but what you want to see happen deep down inside. No talk about why, no analysis of the situation, no what-ifs, no basing on what you heard... which would you rather see?

One final request: if you live outside the US, please indicate so. This may be a national trend instead of a global one. I welcome all answers regardless of location, but I want to be able to determine if any trend is national to the US or global.

It doesn't matter which answer you give to either question. This isn't about right or wrong; it's about testing out a theory. No answer is superior to another.

If I am right, we may find a deeper conspiracy behind this than anyone ever considered possible.

My thread, my turn first:

I would be most wary of the cop, and I say guilty.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'd be most wary of the disheveled youth.

Not Guilty is my vote.

You asked for specific answers without a lot of commentary, so there is my contribution to the discussion to kick things off. This should be interesting to see.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Thug, Not guilty.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Post removed. Might have to moderate this thread.
edit on 13-7-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Thug

Not guilty

Peace

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't have any problem with commentary on the theory, the social applications of the theory, or anything like that. I just don't want this to turn into a debate over who did what and who said what. There's already a (very lively) place for that.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

If given a choice between a uniformed police officer and someone who is young, disheveled, and apparently street-wise, which would you be most wary of approaching?

The police officer.

The other thing is a simple guilty or not guilty, not on what you think will happen, but what you want to see happen deep down inside.

Guilty of Manslaughter

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

If given a choice between a uniformed police officer and someone who is young, disheveled, and apparently street-wise, which would you be most wary of approaching? Cop or thug? Which do you fear the most?

It depends on context. I can trust the police in certain circumstances.
But if nobody's around then I would pick the cop because I can't really defend myself against him if things change quick.

The other thing is a simple guilty or not guilty, not on what you think will happen, but what you want to see happen deep down inside. No talk about why, no analysis of the situation, no what-ifs, no basing on what you heard... which would you rather see?

Not Guilty; I think it will be calm for a bit but an African-American insurgency is all too real a possibility if White people rub it in their faces and troll them hard after all is said and done which I can see happening already.

if you live outside the US, please indicate so.

Vancouver

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I just woke up, so I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly..

But.. I'm more scared of police than I am your average street thug..

I think Zimmerman acted in Self-Defense.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I would be more weary of the youth. In my younger days I had PLENTY of run-ins with the law, and I can't recall a time that I felt slighted, bullied or harrassed by a uniformed officer. I always felt I was treated fairly given the circumstances. As far as the trial goes, he's innocent. There shouldn't even be a trial.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I would be most cautious of the thug youth, and would say not guilty on the cop.

This is not to say I trust cops to any large extent, though.

To get really nerdy for a moment, I see cops generally as Lawful Evil, and thugs as Chaotic Evil. Cops are less likely to act in an unpredictable manner, and even though the predictable manner can often times not be Good, the cop due to his/her nature is going to be more manageable to deal with if played correctly from the get go. Thugs IMO are more likely to act in an unpredictable manner, and would generally less likely be manageable when encountered, and more prone to doing whatever it took to get what they wanted, probably involving violence from the get go.

If you dont quite get the above paragraph... play more D&D

edit on 7/13/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Wary of both,
Although there are good cops

-Thug

-Not Guilty, self defense

Edited to add my fiance's opinion,

-Cop

-Guilty, Manslaughter

I find it interesting most women believe that he is guilty and their opinion seems to be based solely on emotion. She first said wary of both equally initially, when pressed she then said cops have power/ego issues.
edit on 13-7-2013 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

There are now a good number of people who, unlike in earlier years, are so distrustful of the police or legal authoritoes that they trust a more criminal element than they do the law. There are also those who are so fearful of that criminal element of society that they place full and total faith in law enforcement.

Could this theory be an urban/rural (small town) issue. I live in a smaller town and my encounter with police is very limited unless I see them moonlighting in the local stores or theaters. I am more likely to run into thugs or better worded....wannabe bad boys who seem to always be looking for a fight because someone looked at them or think they own the world.

Peace

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

That's kind of what I am thinking, jam. I've been following what appears to me to be such a rift in society for some time now. I just realized this might tie in last night.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I would trust the thug before a cop. The thug has nothing but his immediate senses to judge me on, a cop has a database in which he/she would find no criminal history, but a very anti-establishment, strongly opinionated woman to judge me by.

Guilty of manslaughter. I don't think Zimmerman meant for someone to die but his idiotic actions and his ego ultimately caused such.

I think you're leaving something out though... I think because this is not a cut and dry case of 'Stand your ground', the 45 day lack of response by authority is behind much of the anger.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'd be wary of the cop

Guilty of manslaughter of a minor

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Keep the exposition light people. This isn't about the case but your thoughts on 2 questions.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
wary of The police officer
guilty of manslaughter
edit on 13-7-2013 by grumpydaysleeper because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2013 by grumpydaysleeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Both to be honest.

Not Guilty on all charges.

Both the thug and the cop can detain you against your will and if you fight back you'll be shot or beat up.
edit on 7/13/2013 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
From Canada,male,smallish city, about 200,000
I would trust the cop

Guilty, manslaughter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join