It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't get away from religious crap

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Otherwise, I keep my mutterings to myself and dont try to bend people over to take it when they dont want or need it. I.. unlike many people around me.. actually consider the space of others,

Excellent! Would you mind telling the religious around you to do the same? That would solve everything!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

In the same vein;

I cant get away from the people complaining about the religious crap! I have to see it in the first place, and then its brought up again!

(lighthearted comment, mind you.. I cant say I care all that much beyond finding the irony intriguing.)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Well sir, that would be a NEGATIVE claim on their part. And no one can prove a negative. You made the arbitrary positive claim therefore it is your burden to prove the positive claim. #logic101

Okay. Fine.

Just so I am clear, which 'positive claim' are you suggesting that I evidence?

Christianity is a War Religion?

I did that, and no one denied that my evidence was solid. They merely said my evidence didn't say what it clearly says in plain English. There is nothing left to do now. I made an evidenced claim. They accepted the evidence but not the conclusion.

They are making the POSITIVE claim that the evidence says something else.

Not my move.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Maybe, just maybe, you guys should get a room in the Religion, Faith, And Theology instead of beating that dead horse in a thread titled Can't get away from religious crap.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

No we dont.. You're confusing rights, here. Freedom of speech, of the press, of association, of assembly and petition -- this set of guarantees, protected by the First Amendment, comprises what we refer to as freedom of expression. There is no stand alone freedom of expression. What you're confusing it with are Speech, Press, Assosiation of assembly and petition... THESE are considered freedom of expression. There you go twisting things around again.

That's your argument? Is one freedom different from another? Can you have a full freedom of one thing and only half a freedom of another?
I love it!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Originally posted by jiggerj
I guess that within each so-called freedom there are still limits to what is publicly acceptable. And I'm saying that religious expression should be confined to the bedroom along with other certain freedoms of expression.

It appears that there's some serious cognitive dissonance going on here.

I don't think you can live by your own preferences in such regards.

RELIGION = (essentially) codified, strongly held BELIEFS, VALUES. Period.

You obviously have some RELIGIOUS, STRONGLY HELD BELIEFS AND VALUES. Obviously.

Do you REALLY THINK that you arrived at such beliefs and values FROM ONLY WITHIN THE CONFINES OF

YOUR BEDROOM?

According to your own standard, we should, in your behalf, ask the ET critters to come into your bedroom while you sleep and ERASE everything in your brain that you learned outside of your bedroom.

I'd love to watch you when you awoke.

According to your own standard . . . everyone should be reduced to a kind of wispy foggy, uncommitted, uncaring, unknowing (maybe beyond an occasional very slightly energized temporary guess?), unemotional, insignificant, . . . . kind of mental mush without a backbone nor strongly held value observable between the ears or under the hair.

That would make for interesting family and social, cultural fabric . . . for a few minutes or days.

You got all of that from my suggestion that religion should be kept private and out of the public eye?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I think your understanding of religion is extremely shallow, and your half-truths say more about you than they do about religion. Do yourself a favor and read a few books by Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung, and Jeffrey Kripal.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

I think your understanding of religion is extremely shallow, and your half-truths say more about you than they do about religion. Do yourself a favor and read a few books by Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung, and Jeffrey Kripal.

Thanks for the little dig without actually adding anything of value to the conversation.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

edit on 13-7-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Well sir, that would be a NEGATIVE claim on their part. And no one can prove a negative. You made the arbitrary positive claim therefore it is your burden to prove the positive claim. #logic101

Okay. Fine.

You said that the New Testament "asserts" that Christianity is about Christians "taking up arms against nonChristians".

That is an arbitrary positive claim, I'd like for you to support that with the NT passages you spoke of.

edit on 13-7-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Okay. Fine.

You said that the New Testament "asserts that Christianity is about Christians "taking up arms against nonChristians".

That is an arbitrary positive claim, I'd like for you to support that with the NT passages you spoke of.

Now you are simply not reading the thread. This is willful ignorance. Willful ignorance evidenced by the fact that I address what you are asking in the part of the post you neglected to quote when you took the previous snippet out of it to reply.

Intellectual dishonesty.
edit on 13-7-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Alright. Keep it clean people or posts will be removed and posting privileges as well.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Intellectual dishonesty my ass. There were no NT quotes in your post that's why your statement was arbitrary.

Now, would you like to support your positive claim or not? Let's see where the NT "asserts Christianity is about Christians taking up arms against nonChristians.". Or admit you completely made that up, that works too.

edit on 13-7-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wow, this must be Save an Atheist day. Just got back from shopping to find three young boys in white shirts and ties asking if I want to know how much Jesus loves me. You religious people would be proud of me. All I said was, "Definitely not."

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It's a tricky thing.

Am reading a book now about how Christ's heart is to be humble, gentle etc. and not to offer info unless asked.

Am trying to reorient my habits and inclinations accordingly.

However, there have been a number of cases where suicides have been prevented because I was a bit inquisitive--some might say, even, intrusive.

Should I just kiss such folks off and say--go ahead and off yourself--not my life. ???

I'm not made that way. Life to me is precious.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by mamabeth

True christians are not suppose to

Mornin' Mama. This is the same sentiment we're hearing from Muslims. They're all saying that those people aren't true Muslims. That Muslims don't do those bad things. I'm sure those bad Muslims are saying the same thing about the Muslims that don't align themselves with violence and the killing of infidels.

So, I'd like to ask you to define what a true Christian is, but it would be your opinion and millions of other Christians would disagree with you, so a true Christian really can't be defined.

I don't see how a sign imposes anything on anyone.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Maybe, just maybe, you guys should get a room in the Religion, Faith, And Theology instead of beating that dead horse in a thread titled Can't get away from religious crap.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

But hey, if your RELIGION leaves you loving the corrupt government deliverers of goodies above all others-- that's your right.

If you want to compare certain aspects of the U.S. government with religion - war-like, intrusive, eager to spread itself all over the world... - I can't argue with that. One difference, does the Vatican give out monthly checks to retired Christians?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Those assertions necessarily logically follow from yours.

However, that was a cute dodge . . . sort of.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join