It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't get away from religious crap

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
Christianity, in my opinion, is a religion of war and vengeance.

Jesus, their God, was murdered, and the prophecy of his return is steeped in world conflict. According to the Bible, he cannot return until the world is at war. So, how can a Christian truly want peace if their god will only return to them when the world is at war? Even if a lasting world peace is achieved, the Bible warns against it, calling it a lie.

It's really kind of scary, and I know exactly how you feel.

where in the new testament does it say that you should kill, war or anything of the sort? If I'm not mistaken... And I'm not... Jesus said to turn the other cheak.

Ignorance of the topic? Me thinks so...

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” Luke 22:36

However, let's not get into a Biblical pissing match. Nothing you have said takes away from what I have said.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Thought I'd take a nice Saturday morning walk to the store. While on this walk I'm thinking about playing the lottery, about my daughter, about my sore legs... I happened to pass by the Salvation Army (a Christian association) and was appalled by the sign in the front: Jesus didn't fight sin by avoiding sinners.

The message couldn't be clearer. Christians are supposed to follow Jesus by imposing their values on everyone they meet. To fight sin you must purge others of their sins. You are required to shove your beliefs down everyone's throat.

Instead of living life and learning from our own mistakes we're just supposed to accept the lunatic ramblings of religious bible thumpers. I didn't need to see such crap this morning, but we can't get away from it.
edit on 7/13/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

jiggerj. I am sorry that you have not meet what can be described as a true "Christian" but only those who seem to wear their religion as a garment. If you meet a person like Jesus/Buddha or someone similar then you would probably had a different experiance because they would probably have a very high level of ability to laugh at themselves and make you feel included.

To the Christians who annoy you can always say. What does Matthew 7 say about judging others without pulling out your log from your third eye?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

The scrolls that were used to translate The Bible were several thousand years old!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by jiggerj

For someone who bemoans that they "can't get away from religious crap", I sure see you around these two forums frequently. So I suppose you're a masochist?

And that's not at all what the message of that sign was. It was that Jesus didn't avoid the drunkards, prostitutes, and thrives. He went to them, served them, and shared with them. He didn't avoid them. Way to troll it up today.
edit on 13-7-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

The religious folk on ATS seem to get uppity at two things I've noted.

1: when they post a religious fanatic thread and people who are not fanatics post in response.
2: when people post a thread detailing how annoying religious fanatics are.

Well, we're here too. Us sinners. Don't want nor need your saving grace. Are we not allowed to use the forums in the same manner as you do? Or are only the sinners trolls?

May a hearty beef stew and a pint of stout save you from the cold lonely wafers and red wine...

Wait you forgot:

When people are quick to judge Christians by the same BS they themselves are spouting.

What's good for the goose...

It baffels me how quick people are to foam at the jaws over something they don't understand, and at the same time, are complete and total hipocrites.

Not everyone who believes is a fanatic like you claim, or by your own definition. You, like many others here, are quick to judge ALL Christians, and like to put us all in the same group. It's not that bloody general. It's like saying all muslims are the taliban, and all Christians are baptist. It's just ignorance on your part to do such things.

There is NO difference between a Christan telling someone about Christ and God than an athiest telling someone else that there is no God. Not a single difference. Yet, you bitch and moan about it like there was.

Go figure...

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

The scrolls that were used to translate The Bible were several thousand years old!

So what? You know that other cultures that have nothing to do with Judeo-Christian history are also loaded with laws like, Don't Kill. Don't Lie. Don't Steal, and don't Sleep with someone else's Partner, don't you?

Many cultures predate even these ancient scrolls you are talking about.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

One day, I saw a REALLY good one that has stuck with me since then. It wasn't about religion, Jesus or God, or about what a sinner I am, but about giving and compassion. I hope one day you see a "good one", too.
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

When did giving and compassion become exclusive to religion?

You say that you hope I'll see a good sign some day. Well, one of the greatest and most pleasurable human activities is sex, but I don't want to see it on the streets! I don't want to see it in my mail or even in movies where it has no relevance to the plot. Many times I've seen movies where the male and female heroes are about to save the world and I say, "Oh, look, they're going to stop for sex now." Come on, it's just not relevant to the story.

It's the same with everyone's religious beliefs. You want to believe in a god, well fine, but I don't want to see it on the streets or in my mail.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

And I wouldn't want to live in a country that refused people their religion and religious expression, as long as it doesn't impose on my freedom. They think having a sign out there does some religious good. It's their choice. That's what we get for living in a free country.
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If it's freedom you want, then why not sex on the street? Answer, because we're civilized human beings, not a bunch of rutting animals. So, we say, no you don't have freedom of sexual expression - there's a place and a time for that. Why is it different for religion? Why isn't there a discreet place and time for that? Why does religion have a right to be in our faces, but not sex?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Just how far back into ancient history are you talking about?
For some reason atlantis comes into my mind!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Thought I'd take a nice Saturday morning walk to the store. While on this walk I'm thinking about playing the lottery, about my daughter, about my sore legs... I happened to pass by the Salvation Army (a Christian association) and was appalled by the sign in the front: Jesus didn't fight sin by avoiding sinners.

The message couldn't be clearer. Christians are supposed to follow Jesus by imposing their values on everyone they meet. To fight sin you must purge others of their sins. You are required to shove your beliefs down everyone's throat.

Instead of living life and learning from our own mistakes we're just supposed to accept the lunatic ramblings of religious bible thumpers. I didn't need to see such crap this morning, but we can't get away from it.

Yet here you are doing the same thing but different

and i think you missed the message.

Why not ask the Salvos what they mean, your assumption is wrong

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

For one thing I'm not uppity, I just get annoyed with trolling threads and hypocrites. It's absurd to complain that you cannot get away from religion, and that same person is posting frequently in the two religious forums.

Sorry, I'm not feelin the pity party under those circumstances. I'll take the stout though, you're buying.
edit on 13-7-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

differently from other christians.The baptist church I went to for 5
years is a great example.This Bible passage we studied in class
I took the scripture at face value.My sunday school teacher said,
thats' what it is saying but thats' not what it means.
I need another cup of coffee.Shame on you for comparing me to a
muslim.I am so anti-islam and I am insulted!

Oh no, I would never compare you to a muslim. It was just the sentiment you expressed, that's all. Today's Christianity is a far cry from what it used to be (which was as fanatical as Islam back then).

To define what a true christian is,you have to read the Bible to find the answer.I am a newer christian and I seem to read the Bible differently from other christians.

EXACTLY! No two people can ever agree on everything in the bible, and THAT'S what makes religious texts so dangerous.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This thread kind of reminds me of this scene from Bruce Almighty...

Almost everyone thinks they have the answers,
when really we all just have the signs,
even if we don't see them.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Jesus, their God, was murdered, and the prophecy of his return is steeped in world conflict. According to the Bible, he cannot return until the world is at war. So, how can a Christian truly want peace if their god will only return to them when the world is at war? Even if a lasting world peace is achieved, the Bible warns against it, calling it a lie.

where in the new testament does it say that you should kill, war or anything of the sort? If I'm not mistaken... And I'm not... Jesus said to turn the other cheak.

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” Luke 22:36

However, let's not get into a Biblical pissing match. Nothing you have said takes away from what I have said.

Exegesis and understanding

Luke 22:36: He said to them, “But now if you have a purse take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Many people would take this verse literally, Jesus telling his disciples to arm themselves once he has been crucified and left them. The problem lies in that only one the one line of scripture is posted.

Luke 22:35-38 says:

35 [Jesus] asked them [the eleven apostles], "When I sent you out without a purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"
They said, "No, not a thing."
36 He said to them, "But now the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. 37 For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered among the lawless’; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled."
38 They [the disciples] said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."
"It is enough," he replied. (NRSV)

Verse 38, 2 swords for 2 of the 11 disciples, "It is enough." Everyone seems to forget that part. Jesus didn’t intend to use this to start a rebellion or to even stop his arrest. When Peter drew his sword to cut off the ear of one of the guards, Jesus commands him to sheath his sword. The number of swords does have meaning, 2 swords for 2 criminals. In those days criminals carried swords, Jesus was crucified with 2 criminals. Luke 22:37: For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me: “And he was numbered among the lawless”; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled. The scripture he was fulfilling was Old Testament scripture, Isaiah 53:12.

To sum up the scripture, the swords represented the two criminals crucified beside Christ. I’m sorry it was so long, I’m not a writer, I’m not a preacher, but I just hate it when people base their carrying guns on that one passage.

Do I believe in carry guns, completely. Do I own guns in my home and carry? Yes, Smith and Wesson 1911PD and a Kahr cw9. If you’re going to quote scripture that’s fine, just pick the right one. Thanks for reading.
edit on 13-7-2013 by borntowatch because: www.thehighroad.org...

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You are right on about christianity not being what it used to be!
Too many christian churches today are too busy pleasing people
than pleasing God!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Really? You're "assaulted" by religious beliefs? You have an absurdly loose operational definition of assault you're working with there. Either that or you're quite emotional and easily offended. See if you can get a Xanax prescription or something.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Make sure you explain the context of this... Again.. Ignorance. You're as bad as a rogue preacher.

It's telling them to prepare and to protect their family. It's not telling them to go out and mass murder non believers.

And yes... Posts like this turn it into a pissing match.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

The thing is that most social norms have Biblical principles behind them!

LOL You have it backwards, darlin'. Egypt and China already had laws (against stealing, murder, adultery...) before Moses left and wrote the ten commandments. Consider the very first tribe of humans on the planet. They'd never heard of a god or Jesus or Mohamed, yet they had to have figured out these rudimentary laws for themselves or else they would have killed each other off.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Make sure you explain the context of this... Again.. Ignorance. You're as bad as a rogue preacher.

It's telling them to prepare and to protect their family. It's not telling them to go out and mass murder non believers.

You have still yet to contradict the merit of my post and simply try to bang on the minutia of a single stance. Come back when you can counter my claims at large.

Jesus was murdered.
Jesus wont return until the world is at war.
Lasting Peace is unobtainable until Jesus returns. (Which means any lasting peace we obtain before Jesus is here is a lie, and is actually a sign of the Anti-Christ)

I don't care about context. Jesus said to turn the other cheek, but he also said to buy a sword. Sounds like he was talking out of both sides of his face, regardless of the context, which I see you also didn't post. Perhaps you aren't interesting in the multiple interpretations that clearly paint Jesus as a warrior?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
Exegesis and understanding

Luke 22:36: He said to them, “But now if you have a purse take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Many people would take this verse literally, Jesus telling his disciples to arm themselves once he has been crucified and left them. The problem lies in that only one the one line of scripture is posted.

Luke 22:35-38 says:

35 [Jesus] asked them [the eleven apostles], "When I sent you out without a purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"
They said, "No, not a thing."
36 He said to them, "But now the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. 37 For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered among the lawless’; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled."
38 They [the disciples] said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."
"It is enough," he replied. (NRSV)

Verse 38, 2 swords for 2 of the 11 disciples, "It is enough." Everyone seems to forget that part. Jesus didn’t intend to use this to start a rebellion or to even stop his arrest. When Peter drew his sword to cut off the ear of one of the guards, Jesus commands him to sheath his sword. The number of swords does have meaning, 2 swords for 2 criminals. In those days criminals carried swords, Jesus was crucified with 2 criminals. Luke 22:37: For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me: “And he was numbered among the lawless”; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled. The scripture he was fulfilling was Old Testament scripture, Isaiah 53:12.

To sum up the scripture, the swords represented the two criminals crucified beside Christ. I’m sorry it was so long, I’m not a writer, I’m not a preacher, but I just hate it when people base their carrying guns on that one passage.

Do I believe in carry guns, completely. Do I own guns in my home and carry? Yes, Smith and Wesson 1911PD and a Kahr cw9. If you’re going to quote scripture that’s fine, just pick the right one. Thanks for reading.
edit on 13-7-2013 by borntowatch because: www.thehighroad.org...

I love the mental gymnastics people have to go through to get scripture to mean what they want it to. I love that this book is both the literal word of a God and this massive puzzle box that only those that are attuned with the Word can really figure it out.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

You have still yet to contradict the merit of my post and simply try to bang on the minutia of a single stance. Come back when you can counter my claims at large.

Jesus was murdered.
Jesus wont return until the world is at war.
Lasting Peace is unobtainable until Jesus returns. (Which means any lasting peace we obtain before Jesus is here is a lie, and is actually a sign of the Anti-Christ)

I don't care about context. Jesus said to turn the other cheek, but he also said to buy a sword. Sounds like he was talking out of both sides of his face, regardless of the context, which I see you also didn't post. Perhaps you aren't interesting in the multiple interpretations that clearly paint Jesus as a warrior?

are you kidding???

You just made your point invalid when saying "I don't care about context."

He didn't say "Give up your life". he said "Turn the other cheek". Big difference in getting slapped and getting killed.

Never mind... you go on about your pointless, hipocritical rant allyou want. You're just proving my point.

Good day

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join