It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet DARPA’s real-world Terminator, The Atlas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
"MOSCOW, May 17 (RIA Novosti) - Russian experts are developing robots designed to minimize casualties in terrorist attacks and neutralize terrorists, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday."

Other antiterror equipment Russia is developing includes systems that can see terrorists through obstacles and effectively engage them in a standoff mode at a long distance without injuring their hostages, he said.

----------------------------------------------
Built by University of Tokyo researchers, Kenshiro is a musculo-skeletal humanoid robot that mimics one-quarter of the muscles found in humans. It has 160 pulley-like devices — 50 in the legs, 76 in the trunk, 12 in the shoulder and 22 in the neck — together with aluminium bones which include a spine, pelvis and rib cage. It has almost the same level of joint torque as a human.

---------------------------------------------
I don't know about you guys but this looks like the beginnings of a "second variety". IMHO more terrifiying than anything James Cameron could come up with.

"Researchers of five European universities have developed a cloud-computing platform for robots. The platform allows robots connected to the Internet to directly access the powerful computational, storage, and communications infrastructure of modern data centers – the giant server farms behind the likes of Google, Facebook, and Amazon – for robotics tasks and robot learning." ---What's left to make me believe we're not playing directly into the "palms" of an advanced Artificial Intelligence program? Is there anything left to make me believe the internet hasn't turned into SkyNet.

edit on 13-7-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

So what do you think of this ATS? Far as I can see the only thing missing is the nuclear fuel cell and glowing red eyes. LoL

I saw this a few days ago, notice how it is hooked up to electrical power. The problem all these robots have is, exactly what you eluded to, the power supply. Until we have better power supplies the idea of robots will be limited. I personally believe, that until we have fusion and better power storage we will be stuck with the status quo. I have believed for years the next step in human evolution will come from personal robots. When you can have robots do the dirty work it will free the human to look inward at art, creativity, discovery. While we are still mired in the day-to-day grind for money to pay for things, we are stuck in the same societal paradigm.

If we were serious as a species we would stop funding bull# space exploration and military spending and focus on Fusion, Power storage, 3-D printers and Robots. IMHO opinion, the only space based money should be spent on detecting and stopping any object that could impact the planet. Why the hell don't we focus more money globally on this is beyond me. I think the only rational explanation is that the powers that be are too worried about planetary concerns, fighting over soil and money. Our collective monkey brains are worried about bananas and sex - as it were (please forgive the simplicity.)

I personally believe that the United States, because of our freedoms, societal progress, and genetic diversity, is the best candidate to lead by example for the rest of humanity. Unfortunately, we seem to be regressing toward "monkey brain" thinking. We still have a huge amount of creativity and freedom, as well as capital... If the United States cannot lead by example, it is my belief, that the world as a whole will be resigned to another hundred years or so of the same societal paradigm.

V

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Bring it on

I wouldn't mind!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by iforget

I just hope the fellow follows Asimov's three laws of robotics! LoL

1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2.A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

edit on 13-7-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

So what happens when 8 year olds run past all the city's robots yelling out "Blow yourselves up!" The new version of graffiti.

The three laws are rubbish. Always have been!

P

The difference is that the robots have the ability to weigh up the instructions given to them and thats been the plot of many of his stories so just running around shouting kill yourself out aloud would have virtually no effect the3rdd law would be stronger than the vague use of the 1st so the robot would ignore it....a more definite order directly to a robot would be different but just driving around saying "robots nuke yourself" wouldn't really get very far

Asimov wrote the three laws as very strict laws. The funny thing is many people who quote the three laws have often never even read the entire Robot series of books. Asimov himself proved that his three laws could be circumvented. He wrote an entire murder mystery on the fact.

The whole concept of the three laws was that they were the three laws that could not be altered and a command to a robot to self destruct would have led to the robot's self destruction. The moment you 'fiddle' with the laws or allow the AI to interpret the laws you have major problems.

THe whole problem today is that robots will be weaponized. Hell, we are nearly there now.

So many inventions are just waiting for a power supply. It is scary!

P

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

"So many inventions are just waiting for a power supply. It is scary!"

I completely agree, one has to wonder is the black nobility withholding free energy and fusion technology from the masses simply because they wish to remain in control or are they afraid of the singularity and the AI technology taking over?

What happened to the basketball size nuclear reactors that were apparently just around the corner back in the 1950s?

edit on 14-7-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
There's a good thread on this from November 2012 here www.abovetopsecret.com...

check out the cheetah robot and the LS2 (on page 2 near the bottom)

like I said there, I would probably have a heart attack if that cheetah thing was running after me!!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
So, when can I buy one?

Do they come in designer mods and models?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
A power source shouldn't be so much of a problem. Just miniaturize nuclear powercells, introduce K9 robot with sentient AI like a pet carrying the weight of it all. Or rather a mini tank accompanying the humanoid robot with either a power cable or recharging on the go every few hours. In the industry humans can soon be replaced and the companion power robot could be used as a pack mule with resources and finished product.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

read robot is goy man is je*, terminator boundary of light "j**s" and darkness "goyim"

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
I wonder how long it will be before this technology is weaponized and battlefield ready?

darpa = .mil domain = department of defense???

if they showed the public, you can be sure there's something way more advanced under wraps

edit on 14-7-2013 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
You know I had saw the video the other day and all I could think is DARPA sure loves some techno in their videos. Creeps me out seeing it jump off ledge and get hit with a weight and not fall over.

Made me think of this;

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I wouldn't really be too worried about this until a sustainable energy source can be found. Maybe graphene is the answer, but that's years away.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Don't think im ever going to be impressed until i see a real T-1000

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
The robot is an avatar for a human operator, keep that in mind. Even though the mechanics are highly advanced, they are still controlled by an operator on the other end, it is not autonomous, and to achieve that will take an enormous leap in artificial intelligence programming. Even then, you should expect it to bump into walls, crush delicate things, stumble over things, etc.

At best, it will be like Roomba meets Johnny 5 (Short Circuit).

Fun to look at and watch though.

~Namaste

Not true. They would be very easy to make autonomous without any leaps.
Autonomous Cars Patrol Israeli Border

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
The robot is an avatar for a human operator, keep that in mind. Even though the mechanics are highly advanced, they are still controlled by an operator on the other end, it is not autonomous, and to achieve that will take an enormous leap in artificial intelligence programming. Even then, you should expect it to bump into walls, crush delicate things, stumble over things, etc.

At best, it will be like Roomba meets Johnny 5 (Short Circuit).

Fun to look at and watch though.

~Namaste

True, this thing is being made for disaster response and will require a human operator. However, this thing isn't just following the movements of a human, it's performing some of those movements on its own. It looks like the operator will tell it where ot go and it has to have enough autonomous capability to get to its destination. This is unlike those disney robots that're completely controlled by a human operator. They move lifelike, but none of it's autonomous. It's not the same.

It's like a puppet but it's also not like a puppet.

It makes me think of the euphoria engine used in some playstation/xbox games.

Watch:

edit on 19-7-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ever since I was a child, machines scared me half to death. Terminator freaked me out, but ED-209 freaked me out even more. I had nightmares about that thing... Until I learned of the Borg...

None of you will experience the sheer terror I felt while watching the included videos of Atlas, and the grossly named "Petman". The minute I see something like this waddle down my street, I'm forming a resistance movement to stop them.

I'm not even kidding you. Just wait til the cops are replaced by these bastards, calm and emotionless just watching your every move as it calculates your movement to see if you're up to something. *Shudder*, nope.jpg all the way.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hello andy06shake and other posters in this thread, just a heads up that this thread and topic will be discussed on Reality Remix Wed. night at 10pm Eastern.

"Join ATS Members SheepSlayer247, Adjensen, NoRegretsEver, Druid42 & Beezer for two hours of their take on threads past and present right here on ATS! "

Here is the thread to pick which way you want to listen in.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=16737466#pid16737466

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Some of you are missing the point of the 3 laws. The laws were made to remedy a bad situation when robots were common place in everyone's (civilians) lives and were smart enough ( rather programmable enough) to cause major havoc if used in the wrong way. We are no where near that stage at this point to need such laws.

In it's present state Atlas can easily be disabled. They would have to really shield it from Every type of EMR and give it the strongest chassis made. It's gonna be years I think before we see these used in the field. The military will opt for simple robots to do the dirty work, like drones IMO.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join