It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet DARPA’s real-world Terminator, The Atlas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

"DARPA and Boston Dynamics, of BigDog, Petman, and Cheetah fame, have unveiled their most advanced humanoid robot yet: Atlas. At 6’2″ (188cm) and 330lbs (150kg), Atlas is incredibly imposing; with 28 hydraulically actuated joints, LIDAR and stereo vision, a beefy on-board computer, and some of the most advanced robotic limbs ever conceived, Atlas is remarkably human-like in its behavior. While Atlas is initially conceived as a disaster response robot, such as cleaning up and looking for survivors after a Fukushima-like disaster, it’s easy to imagine Atlas being the basis of a robotic army, supported by BigDog mules."

So what do you think of this ATS? Far as I can see the only thing missing is the nuclear fuel cell and glowing red eyes. LoL

I wonder how long it will be before this technology is weaponized and battlefield ready?

www.extremetech.com... Full article
edit on 13-7-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Posting Work Written By Others - Please Review This link
edit on 7/13/2013 by kosmicjack because: added ex tags

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Here's the video

Cody

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
You think they'll be smart enough to give it a little mercy? I am thinking we're probably going to want it to have some before to long....

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
wait until you watch this thing

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I just hope this fellow follows Asimov's three laws of robotics! LoL

1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2.A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Isaac was awesome and his laws are taken seriously but all the same ignored where they might do the most good

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

Isaac was awesome and his laws are taken seriously but all the same ignored where they might do the most good

Mr Asimov was a rather remarkable fellow! Its D.A.R.P.A through so trust me at some point someone is going to put a Mini-gun in this fellows paw!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I dunno why people always bring up Asimov when it comes to robots.

The robot is a lawnmower. It's a fridge. A chair. An electric toothbrush.

It's the program running it that you have to be worried about and that's not coming from the guys making the skeletons walk like a human. The program comes from the evil nerds who, after years and years of suffering in silence, who will make the backdoors so that when the time comes... with one press of a big red button, all you humans will be crushed by my^H^H their superior intellect, and from it, their machinations that will rule the new world.

10 On Human goto Destroy.

edit on 13-7-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I would be more inclined to think the current/future administration of the USA will have the kill code and access to said red button! LoL

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by iforget

I just hope the fellow follows Asimov's three laws of robotics! LoL

1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2.A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

So what happens when 8 year olds run past all the city's robots yelling out "Blow yourselves up!" The new version of graffiti.

The three laws are rubbish. Always have been!

P

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Come on now Pheonix358, you cant be disrespecting Asimov's 3 laws!

In certain Sci Fi circles that's considered sacrilege! And a hangable offence or so im told. LoL

Granted they could probably do with a few additional bylaws these days, but the dudes heart was in the right place.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The robot is an avatar for a human operator, keep that in mind. Even though the mechanics are highly advanced, they are still controlled by an operator on the other end, it is not autonomous, and to achieve that will take an enormous leap in artificial intelligence programming. Even then, you should expect it to bump into walls, crush delicate things, stumble over things, etc.

At best, it will be like Roomba meets Johnny 5 (Short Circuit).

Fun to look at and watch though.

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Petman was the precursor to Atlas

Good but not as good

Cody

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
As far as i'm concerned it's just a walking version of the drones we see in the skies, except they'll march.

Wait till they strap jetpacks and miniguns on them. Then we'll send them out into the galaxy eventually.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I figured that's why these things have a 2 inch thick power/communications cable attached to them at all times.

When we get to the autonomous robot stage, I'll start looking for John Connor

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Um.... ya no I would not trust any of the current people in power to use this tech for the good of the people.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
still useless until they have a good power supply

unless.... they have one that we don't know about

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
my response to seeing this topic?

..it's been nice knowing you all

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by iforget

I just hope the fellow follows Asimov's three laws of robotics! LoL

So what happens when 8 year olds run past all the city's robots yelling out "Blow yourselves up!" The new version of graffiti.

The three laws are rubbish. Always have been!

P

The difference is that the robots have the ability to weigh up the instructions given to them and thats been the plot of many of his stories so just running around shouting kill yourself out aloud would have virtually no effect the3rdd law would be stronger than the vague use of the 1st so the robot would ignore it....a more definite order directly to a robot would be different but just driving around saying "robots nuke yourself" wouldn't really get very far

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

This is all too true were you talk about it being used as the basis for an army and one day we will see such as they already are in the process of replacing live pilots, the terror is that there is no emotion or rational, they will follow there orders to the 'T', this may make generals salivate but the rest of us should worry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join