It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Troll Sentenced to Jail

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I may be completely wrong here, but to me this almost seems like it could be a case of British Authorities kissing a bit of American Ass.

To accommodate the 21st Century, I think it's about time to update the old saying.
[align=center][color=FFFF6B]Sticks and Stones may break my bones
But words will never hurt me
But mean words will land your ass in Prison.
[/align]

I'll admit that this guy crossed the line, and took it way too far, but a 2 year Prison sentence for typed words, is beyond ridiculous. A fine maybe or possibly some sort of probation, because of the extreme nature of what he had said, but a 2 year sentence for words is not justice. Especially after determining that he posed no actual threat to any children, neither in the UK nor the U.S.A..

If people think he is mean now, just wait until he gets out of Prison, then he'll have a dam good reason(s) to be mean.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I may be completely wrong here, but to me this almost seems like it could be a case of British Authorities kissing a bit of American Ass.

What like the time we told you to sod off when you wanted us to hand over Gary McKinnon?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Let me fix that for you.

To accommodate the 21st Century, I think it's about time to update the old saying.
[align=center][color=FFFF6B]Sticks and Stones may break my bones
But words will never hurt me
But threatening to murder children will land your ass in Prison.
[/align]

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LionOfGOD

Do you know what is the most popular social networking site? It´s the bottomless pit of human depravity. As far as i´m concerned, some people should be jailed just for existing. Rant over.

I'm surprised that your thinking led you in that direction. If you know (and you're so very right) that humans can be so so rotten, then on that level how bad is this guy? He didn't kill babies. Didn't do anything violent. All he did was sit alone at his computer to write some very immature words. At worst what should have happened is some cops knocking on his door and saying, "We're watching you."

Nice rant though.
Right from the heart.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by jiggerj

then again you are right in thinking that's probably just my own limitations.

Hey, it's all we can live by.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Who exactly did he threaten?

In order for a death threat to be legit, shouldn't there be an intended victim?

[color=898989]P.S. For future reference, if you have something to say, then say it.
I don't need you to 'fix' anything of mine.

reply to post by DPrice

Originally posted by DPrice

What like the time we told you to sod off when you wanted us to hand over Gary McKinnon?

I don't know what you're talking about, so I'm gonna say 'No'.

edit on 7/13/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Great!
put him in jail and when he gets out?
he will be a LOT more lightly to do this kind of thing.
Problem solved......

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Kids should learn what trolling really is. These days they all believe its being as mean as possible to make the other person cry or rage and go offline. No, that's called being an asshat.

Trolling would be something like... going onto a weight loss forum and posting pictures of your skinny self and saying, only 120 more lbs to go before I'm beautiful and actually trying to make the people believe you're serious. I guess they have the right idea that you're just looking for a reaction but they aren't very creative and just say stupid mean things for kicks.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice

Not to stir the pot but this person has a valid question. My ol lady ahs already run acrossed it on facebook. Not that its an issue in central Illinois with anyone I know. They see it for the scam by Barry and the DOJ that it is.
edit on 13-7-2013 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

In today's world especially. Consider the times when children in school have suddenly found themselves under attack by gunmen, or knife wielding loonies.The only way to stop these incidents from happening is prevention, and hopefully the person screws up beforehand and tells someone their plans.

Prevention in certain cases would be a good thing, but what you describe isn't supposed to happen. When we put just a crack in the shell that protects freedom of speech, you know that sooner or later someone is going to take a sledgehammer to it. And then we all go to jail because we're human. We get angry. We say stupid things.

You broke my favorite vase? I'm gonna kill you! This statement could one day land someone in prison because once a freedom is limited in any way, it will be abused.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
On Facebook, Reese Elliot was sentenced to two years and four months in prison for threatening to kill school children in Tennessee. As sick as his threats were, the man lives in the UK.

Troll sentenced to jail

People can say some really stupid stuff on the internet, but do you think anyone should see prison time for what they write online? The authorities could have investigated Reese Elliot to see if he truly was a threat or if he was doing something illegal or even just in need of psychological attention.

I know I can be caught in the wrong mood, or I sometimes post stuff when I just wake up and regret that post later. But to be sent to prison for it? I dunno.

I think the title should read "Man threatens to murder children, is jailed for his crimes."

Yes.
Threatening to murder a person is a crime.
Each threat towards each individual constitutes a crime.
In the eyes of the law he is a criminal.
In the eyes of common sense people he is, obviously, a moron. But, he is a moron who has multiple counts of stating his intention to murder children.

Just because he's a troll doesn't mean he's not a criminal.

edit on 13-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Originally posted by badgerprints

Who exactly is the individual person that he threatened?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

reply to post by badgerprints

Who exactly is the individual person that he threatened?

Not getting into a hair splitting contest over it.

You can go ask the police but they wouldn't divulge that as the people he threatened to kill were children.

edit on 13-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
why did they not go to his home and smash the # out of his computer with baseball bats stun gun the twat and tell him never to go near a computer again or else and it would save $45.000 dollars a year on jail fees on us poor tax payers .

but if your name is stuart hall a former t.v personality all you get for molesting 14 children is 14 months in jail and he will be out in 8 months

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Not getting into a hair splitting contest over it.

You can go ask the police but they wouldn't divulge that as the people he threatened to kill were children.

Nice try, but no. There is nothing to divulge, because he didn't actually make a direct threat towards anyone in particular.

They even stated in the video that police later determined that he actually posed no physical threat to any children, neither in America nor the UK.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Who exactly did he threaten?

In order for a death threat to be legit, shouldn't there be an intended victim?

At least 200 Tennessee school children were his victims, however.. so many more people were directly effected by this man's posting. Schools were closed. Children were kept home from school. People missed worked. This man's threats disrupted society, and there is a real punishment for disrupting society.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

As sick as his threats were, the man lives in the UK.

Where else would he live?

Shrug.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I live in England and can say I was shocked at the mental depravity of this guy as well as ashamed and embarrassed that such an individual was tied to my country, he deserves the sentence and I am sorry it was not longer but alternatively we used to have a good punishment for such as him called the stock's and I would love to see a stint of that added to his sentence, so he would know what is was like to suffer a little and learn some compassion for others, sadly though the world and the net is full of these kind of freaks.

There is a time and a place for free speech and trolling is not that, it is a kind of evil psychological attack and an attempt to cause emotional distress, too often we hear about kids whom have been driven to suicide by internet trolls, there world is small and unlike we whom grew up without it the net has an unearthly social importance to many people and the young in particular, this guy is young but old enough to know what he has done and sick minded enough to seek a victim so he could get his kick out of creating distress and suffering.
edit on 13-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

At least 200 Tennessee school children were his victims,
The children were not victims. They're the winners. They got out of school.

however.. so many more people were directly effected by this man's posting. Schools were closed. Children were kept home from school. People missed worked. This man's threats disrupted society, and there is a real punishment for disrupting society.
They were affected by the excessive response. Since they didn't have enough time to assess whether or not there really was a legitimate threat, they overreacted.

Regardless, I'm not saying that he did nothing wrong. I'm only saying that a 2 year prison sentence is extreme, and in no way is it a just punishment. If he sits in prison for a couple years, how is that going to compensate those people in a different country who missed out on a little bit of work?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

People can say some really stupid stuff on the internet, but do you think anyone should see prison time for what they write online?

Yes. Issuing a death threat is issuing a death threat no matter which way you look at it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join