It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Troll Sentenced to Jail

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well I can't deny being immature but at least I am generally nice about. Not that you aren't. I guess what I meant was I cam see where this question might spring from where often I cant then again you are right in thinking that's probably just my own limitations.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Imagine if that punishment applied to ATS, 2 1/2 year ban for troll posts. Wrabbit would be awful lonely here for awhile.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The way I see it, a threat is a threat no matter how it is put out there.

It is no different than saying it in person or sending a letter.

In today's world especially.
Consider the times when children in school have suddenly found themselves under attack by gunmen, or knife wielding loonies.The only way to stop these incidents from happening is prevention, and hopefully the person screws up beforehand and tells someone their plans.

Even though this person lives in the UK, he could of somehow found his way over to the US and carried out such a threat,no matter what someone says, it is something that could be pulled off, therefore they did the right thing.

People need to learn to be careful with threats, as they are taken serious, and this should be a lesson to everyone that your mouth/fingers can get you into a lot of trouble.

I know here, the police watch the cloud and internet to prevent things from happening, and personally, I think that is a good thing. What you put of Facebook or anywhere on the internet can be used against you, and that is to protect everyone.

Even if people don't agree.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

freedom of speech right? people should be able to say what they wish, but also should be ready for the consequences that comes with it.
the old saying think before you speak goes a long way

at the same time not sure if prison is the correct punishment, maybe community service or better yet how about good old fashion shaming?

edit on 13-7-2013 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This made me laugh

www.orlandosentinel.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Originally posted by winofiend
Maybe create a new set of laws.. Internet Stupid laws.

I would support the idea that repeat offenders should have a block in place to keep them off of the internet entirely, for a period of ten years or something.

I think - and this is just my train of thought leaving the station - I would support a prison term against trolls for threats to kill or maim, and a warning for other instances of harassment or indecency (such as posting offensive comments on a memorial page etc) and then a ten year ban on internet use for a repeat offender.

I think it's clear that something does need to be done. Sites themselves are not investing enough into management of trolls, and I think if they actually added report buttons in the same way they do for spam, it might clear up the problem without having new physical laws in place.

There's no doubt that when it comes to this problem, there is a problem. I would be inclined to force the companies to do something about improving the reporting and analysis of users, and banning them by IP for consistent and repeat offenders.

If a kid at an after school club was walking around attacking and insulting others they would be ejected, I think it's time there were restrictions on kids on the internet in exactly the same way.

Can't agree more. Something does need to be done, but there is nothing logistically that can be done. As soon as you put up measures to prevent or kerb trolls who are vile, you create the intent for every troll to break it. If some 'white knight troll' is inclined to show off his skills to the newbs, they'll open the door for the abhorrent narcissists. They don't mean to introduce the abuse and stalking, but they can't help themselves when a challenge presents itself.

Some people are just so insanely sick minded that all we can do is hope we don't end up treating everyone suspect, because of the few you cannot reasonably control... And that can only come from the company people keep, I believe, and not some legal bindings.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DPrice

Why was that kid arrested when there are 1000's of people on twitter right now announcing they are going to riot and kill if zimmermann is found not guilty?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I think we can all rest assured that this will produce a quality citizen with the money spent. By the time he's done with the "punishment" for what he might do, WE, YOU AND ME, OUR PARENTS, YOUR KIDS, will have spent some 100k to resolve this matter of utmost urgency. As proven, time, and time, and time again, prison is the best place to "teach people a lesson." I imagine this kid will come out of prison with a coat, tie, shined shoes, an education and a new found willingness to meet the world with a hearty "I can make something of myself. " Oh, that that prison record will almost assure that this think he will make of himself will be a criminal.

On the upside, the Politicos, Attorneys, cops, prison officials, who all made money of the event will have something to brag about in the weeks and months to come.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
How is this different than calling in a bomb threat?

Prison is the right call.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Even if this demented troll fellow lived in Tennessee I would take issue with him being arrested for spilling what's in his head, but to actually live in another country and say it? Just seems too extreme.
edit on 7/13/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

The problem is this is why we have intent laws. Otherwise the very premise of arresting anyone for saying anything that involves putting others in danger by any action they claim intention to commit, would be just as frivolous.

I'd be very cautious in saying anything that could be taken as me intending to hurt a specific individual or a specific location or event. I have said words to the effect of taking out a few unspecific targets when I die, but in absolute disgust at what I was watching and even they were removed from the boards. Quite rightly too.

The problem is, after investigating the problem, if no valid intent was found, it should be a lesser crime. Not deserving prison. But at the same time, you can't have the police waste resources on every tweet that can be taken as a threat. They have to put their foot down too.

It's a no win situation, but you can't blame the law. you have to blame the idiots who think making a public threat in public, to the public, and think nothing will come of it.

In some cases I'm glad the cops go out of their way to investigate some things. There was a cretin in Aus where I live who bashed an 80 year old with a baseball bat and then got on facebook at 1am bragging about 'floggin' some white c... with a bat lol'... all his chums thought it was a hoot, and laughed along with him.

Then he got arrested for bashing an old man out looking for his dog. Had a baseball bat up his sleeve just looking for someone. In and out of prison his entire short life for being nothing but a violent criminal. Luckily someone saw his post and thought it should be reported.

Free speech is good. Even if it puts you behind bars for a crime you committed or might commit, only stupidity of the one speaking is the deciding factor.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Why do you think?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DPrice

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. I don't make post for the sake of it.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LionOfGOD
As far as i´m concerned, some people should be jailed just for existing.

Cameras in the bedroom for those of us worthy enough to be exempt, however, as we are to be good production line models. And anal probes to make sure we're not a biological burden on society. A regular pooper is a regular worker.

And if we complain, in with the oxygen thieving creeps in cell block H. We can come out when we know what's good for us!

I dunno, seems pretty rotten to me. What would god do?

Oo

You solution doesn't resolve the problem. It creates it. It *is* the problem.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

On Facebook, Reese Elliot was sentenced to two years and four months in prison for threatening to kill school children in Tennessee. As sick as his threats were, the man lives in the UK.

Troll sentenced to jail

People can say some really stupid stuff on the internet, but do you think anyone should see prison time for what they write online? .

Threatening lives of kids? YES!!!
edit on 13-7-2013 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

do you think anyone should see prison time for what they write online?

If they threaten to kill school children then the authorities SHOULD take it seriously.
I am pretty sure it's illegal to threaten to kill people.
Depending on what the guy said of course ... if it was a legit threat .. yes, arrest him.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by DPrice

Why was that kid arrested when there are 1000's of people on twitter right now announcing they are going to riot and kill if zimmermann is found not guilty?

Those are the people who are stupid enough to announce their premeditation if they do commit a crime.

Some people seem to think they have the right to step on the rights of other people. Make a random person pay some thing they do not agree with.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

My point was that someone is sent to prison in the UK and another kid was arrested in the US, both for making threats but not actually doing it. I'm asking why aren't the 1000's of people on twitter right now making threats being tracked down and arrested?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by roadgravel

My point was that someone is sent to prison in the UK and another kid was arrested in the US, both for making threats but not actually doing it. I'm asking why aren't the 1000's of people on twitter right now making threats being tracked down and arrested?

Ok, I see you point and a good question. Looks like threats of random violence to keep civil unrest alive gets a pass.
edit on 7/13/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Aaaaaaaaah....Remember the good old days when "sticks and stones" was the rule of thumb and the law agreed with it? You were free to say what you wished- so long as it didn't cause injury (like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater) and thoughts and words were not a crime. You could say "I'm gonna whip your behind" but as long as your actions didn't carry the threat out you were safe from prosecution. Now even a bad joke or empty threats made on a rough day are considered "terroristic" and you can be sent to prison and have a record for life just for exercising what used to be your right to free speech. Might as well throw the Constitution on the bonfire kiddies!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join