Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Texas Capitol State Police Confiscating Tampons and Sanitary Napkins, but not Guns, for Abortion Bil

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
During the second special session of the Republican-controlled Texas legislature to ram through an extreme anti-abortion law, which wouldn't make it under normal session rules, Texas state troopers are checking bags and confiscating tampons and sanitary napkins, supposedly because it is fear that they will be thrown at law makers. However, guns are just fine. In fact, there is essentially and EZ-Pass system for persons with concealed gun permits, so they don't have to stand in the normal security check line.

So we can now definitely say that Republicans are pro-gun and anti-feminine hygiene products. Seems like this could also precipitate a law suit of sexism against the Texas state police and/or the legislature for singling out women's hygiene products in the confiscation, and discrimination against women in menstruation.

The first two links below are about the searching, the third is about the ease of bringing firearms into the Texas state capitol.

Salon: Texas Senate Confiscates Tampons During Abortion Hearing

Slate: ibid

NYT: An Entry Reserved for Those With Guns.
edit on 13-7-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

As any prison worker knows - bodily fluids are deadly - a well-armed person who has an education re weaponry - is always a safety.

This story is great. I want to move to Texas.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
They've also confiscated jars of urine, feces, and paint. After the last mob action with chants of "Hail, Satan," and the stoppage of the state's work, I can understand their desire to be cautious.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Limiting abortions to 20 weeks is extreme?

Lol im sure if this happens all abortion clinics will be promptly shut down.

Drama queen much?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I guess bodily fluids are more deadly than guns now.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
I guess bodily fluids are more deadly than guns now.

There are absolutely types of bodily fluids with what they may carry in them where I'd gladly be shot before taking a splash in the face and exposed openings, if given the choice. Indeed.. I can see the threat real clear since I saw it used much closer in protest once before. It's a nasty nasty thing to do.

@Charles

Indeed.. There is also the factor that this bill passed the last time and should have carried ..except for the activists in the public gallery that carried the legislative session over by 120 seconds or so ...so the numerically winning vote count, couldn't count. I can definitely see their approach here to the activists. It's 'once bitten, twice shy', IMO.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

First off, that is the claim being made by the Texas Capitol DPS. However as the below article says, people are questioning this claim:

In a press release, the agency offered scant details about the seizures and did not say where the items were taken or what happened to them, prompting abortion rights activists to express doubts about the official account.

On social media and in interviews, abortion rights protesters questioned the report, calling it an attempt by DPS to bolster Republican credibility during a contentious debate that has drawn national attention.

The office of Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst referred questions about the seizure back to the DPS. The agency’s press office pointed to the news release and said it would not elaborate beyond that.

Sandie Haverlah, an Austin-based abortion rights activist, cast doubt on the assertion by the agency.

“There are hundreds of people out there posting everything they see on Twitter and Facebook," she said. "Certainly, out of 18 or 19 jars of this, a person would have put this out there. Even if you’re wearing a blue shirt, wouldn’t you post it? No one has said a word.”

Texas Tribune

But let's say the report by the DPS, which however has not been borne out by any evidence being presented publicly, is true. What do jars of paint, urine and feces have to do with feminine hygiene products? I have no problem with the security confiscating the former items. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS AT ISSUE. What is at issue is confiscating women's personal hygiene effects upon a trumped up pretense.

Bringing up the claimed jars of nastier stuff is clearly meant to deflect the argument -- again, a page from the Republican play book.

There is no excuse for this kind of thuggish, misogynistic BS by the Republican-controlled state house, yet there are already people defending and/or excusing it.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Indeed.. There is also the factor that this bill passed the last time and should have carried ..except for the activists in the public gallery that carried the legislative session over by 120 seconds or so ...so the numerically winning vote count, couldn't count. I can definitely see their approach here to the activists. It's 'once bitten, twice shy', IMO.

There is also the fact that this bill could not be passed during the normal legislature because of the rules governing the body. Hence, the Republicans have convened special sessions, in which the normal rules don't apply, to ram this bill through. Anyone defending such BS tactics to push through legislation is not in favor of actual democracy and the rule of law. But you conservatives and Republicans are quite happy with your side using such underhanded tactics.

And I'm waiting for people to call me a political hack because I posted this thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

You have never worked in a prison with the mentality of these kind of people - people dig in their rear to get feces in their fingernails to scratch you with.

Just shows that these politicians know the kind of people who want to kill babies and what kind of tactics they will use - a blood soaked feminine hygiene product is a fantastic weapon - and you have no idea what kind of biological weapon it contains.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

This bothers you more than the Obama Care that was shoved down the throat of the entire nation by Democrats?

Seriously, after 5 months you should have already made a decision on a pregnancy.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

But you are a political hack, either that or you are incredibly naive,

Don't believe everything you read.

Also when you point fingers and blame "republicans" you come off as a politically motivated or unintelligent person. Then when you say that the dps is in on some conspiracy to when the Republican Party you really sound foolish.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

If you'd like to apply that evenly and without bias, I'd be happy to see Special sessions from either party, on any issue banned from all 50 statehouses. Oh yes, you'll find no disagreement with me on that.

It would have to be Uniform and across the board though. Every state and without any regard whatsoever to politics or party.

There is also something to consider. Unlike many states and unfortunately, Congress ...Texas only meets once every two years. It's not a bad arrangement and keeps their politicians from causing too much trouble by being...well, politicians. Still, that is a factor of what we're seeing happen here.

The main thing is ..It's for Texans to work out among Texans, IMO.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

You have never worked in a prison with the mentality of these kind of people - people dig in their rear to get feces in their fingernails to scratch you with.

Just shows that these politicians know the kind of people who want to kill babies and what kind of tactics they will use - a blood soaked feminine hygiene product is a fantastic weapon - and you have no idea what kind of biological weapon it contains.

First off, fetuses aren't babies. Second, what does women being denied the right to carry common hygiene products with them have to do with prisons, prisoners, or people who put feces under their fingernails in order to inflict bodily harm on others? Oh yeah -- nothing.

The DPS was not confiscating blood-soaked feminine hygiene products, but clean unused ones. Why not confiscate all the toilet paper in all the bathrooms in the capitol then, in order to deter people from smearing said paper products with human waste and tossing it at the lawmakers?

Clearly your claim is beyond being called a reach. This was clearly an act by the Republican controlled Texas Capitol DPS to humiliate and intimidate women and to discriminate against women, who might be in the midst of their menstrual cycles, from attending the legislature, i.e. exercising their rights.

People defending this crap are also ignoring the fact that guns are welcome in the state house, so the Texas lawmakers aren't in fear of bodily harm by visitors.

It's amazing the garbage tactics that Republican apologists will defend and excuse.
edit on 13-7-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

A fetus is a baby - and these people were yelling "Hail Satan" - what would you put past them?

I know these kinds of people - I'm glad there were no bodily fluid grenades launched.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

What's amazing is how little research and fact finding you are able to do on your own. And you site three really badly written articles as fact.

Then after you have been called out on it twice. You continue to blame the " republicans" without giving much thought to the shenanigans and the propaganda your "party" that you have fallen victim to.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by txinfidel

What's amazing is how little research and fact finding you are able to do on your own. And you site three really badly written articles as fact.

Then after you have been called out on it twice. You continue to blame the " republicans" without giving much thought to the shenanigans and the propaganda your "party" that you have fallen victim to.

The NYT article is badly written? If you say so.

As for the other articles, they're short one noting Tweets and other social media reports on the matter. The fact that the MSM hasn't picked up on it and provided full articles on the matter is no my fault.

But yes, I was expecting this kind of tomfoolery and bluster by conservatives in response to this thread. You folks can't handle facts, and the fact is that Republican legislatures across the country are out hand and doing outrageous stuff like this.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

A fetus is a baby - and these people were yelling "Hail Satan" - what would you put past them?

I know these kinds of people - I'm glad there were no bodily fluid grenades launched.

No, just because you say otherwise, doesn't negate the fact that a fetus is not a baby. And PLEASE provide some evidence that "these people" -- by which I assume you mean female Texan citizens with feminine hygiene products -- were yelling "Hail Satan". Unless and until you do, I will have to assume that everything you say/write is rife with mendacity.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

almost every article by the nyt is bad. Even their crosswords are bad. The picture in your article has an abortion activist handing out tampons inside a statehouse.

Do the math.

The whole intent to hand out tampons inside of a state building was politically motivated and also should be perceived as a threat.

Your whole purpose in writing this thread was politically motivated and to hope that people would buy into this garbage as you did or intended them too.

When in fact, it was a tactic used to steer public opinion away from the issue of the fact that after 20 weeks abortions are no beuno. And instead try to steer public opinion into making a uninformed judgement based on emotion and party lines.
edit on 13-7-2013 by txinfidel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Babies were saved, no one was shot, and no biological damage done -- Good day!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No, I am not for special sessions of legislatures, which avoid normal legislative rules. There was nothing making this issue particularly timely that called for a special session of the Texas legislature. If there were some actual emergency of some sort, or some other new issue that all of a sudden reared its head and needed immediate attention, then I can see a reason for a special session. I'm not defending special sessions just to make prosaic governmental policy, but you seem to be for it.

My point in bringing up the fact that this was a special session used as an underhanded political tactic, was that you were criticizing what the citizens of Texas were doing to protest the previous attempted power grab by Texas Republicans on this same issue.

But you know, special sessions of legislative bodies is not what this thread is about. It is about the heavy-handed, sexist and discriminatory security practices of the Republican-controled state house, and how evidently tampons and sanitary napkins are a security threat, but guns and bullets are not.

Yet everyone defending these heavy-handed and ridiculous practices are accusing these female Texas citizens of being satan worshippers, harboring fecal matter under their fingernails, or intent to soil feminine products with menstrual blood and hurling them at the lawmakers. Like the DPS, you're trying to deflect the issue by making specious claims about these citizen protesters planning to hurl jars of human waste at the lawmakers without providing any evidence of it. Until the DPS shows some of these jars of human waste and paint, and can verify that people actually brought them in, I am not buying it.

Are you really suggesting that the Capitol House troopers would JUST confiscate jars of urine or fecal matter? get serious. They would arrest any such persons doing so.

All you conservatives and Republicans can do is deflect, deflect, deflect. You refuse to deal with the facts of the matter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution