It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victimless Crimes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
My friends and I have been discussing making prostitution legal, and they are say its immoral however one agrees that the facts outweigh the morals on this. Now personally I think it should be legal since it is a victimless crime that harms no one, if they both consent in this case what is the problem? Now the other two say that the government should enforce morality,use religion to create laws and that ultimatly all laws were based off of morals.

Now I did research on victimless crime and this is what I found. Pesonaly my belief is that people should be allowed to rise and fall based on pesonal morality issues, that most victimless crimes should be abolished, and the the government has no right or power to tell consenual adults in prvate what they can and cannot do in terms of sex, and that the government has no right or power to enforce personal morality issues that involve sex etc.

"More than 350,000 people are currently in US jails for consensual crimes.

An additional 1,500,000 are on parole or probation for such crimes.

More than 4 million will be arrested in any year for committing such crimes.

Our governments will spend more than $50 billion in punishing people for �crimes� that do not physically harm the person or property of another.

An additional $150 billion will be lost in tax revenue.

McWilliams also claims that if we just live and let live, we�ll be able to:

Reduce personal income tax by one-third,

Create 6 million tax-paying jobs, and stimulate the economy,

Reduce real crime by freeing the police to catch real criminals,

Unburden the court system,

Double available jail space,

Free federal authorities to track down polluters, terrorists, consumer frauds, and [Bush-style] savings-and-loan embezzlers, and

Create an environment in which people can live their own lives in their own way, free to experiment, free to fail, and free to succeed. "

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Well considering prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, I can't see the authorities stamping out the trade in the forseeable future.

As far as being a victimless crime, that doesn't apply in all cases. Sometimes women turn tricks because they've found themselves in an unfortunate financial situation and selling their bodies is a means to a quick cash supply. It can be demoralising for the girl so in effect, she becomes the victim through her own circumstances.

On the other hand you have the women who just love sex, so they figure if they're going to sleep around everywhere they might as well make a few bucks out of it while having a good time.

Girls working out of a registered brothel is probably the best solution. Gangs of street hookers standing on corners doesn't do to much for the local neighbourhood image.

I am not in favour of governments forcing religous morality upon me though.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Victimless Crimes.

Man, this is one of the things about this country that really burns me up. I though the whole ideology of this country was freedom. Freedom unless it infringes on someone elses rights. Lets see, 2 consenting adults... no, not prostitution. How about silly things like seatbelt laws... um, no, if I die in a car crash, I guess that's my own stupid fault. But, we'll sacrifice freedom to increase local revenue via seatbelt tickets and create another excuse to pull somebody over we think looks "suspicious" and isn't wearing a seatbelt. Helmet laws, drug laws, ets... But, hey, when someone goes over the line and commits a crime againts someone else, I say BURN 'EM!!!! But otherwise, leave people alone who aren't hurting anybody else.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I guess monetary gain far outweighs personal freedoms when it comes to our elected officials' mentality.

Legislate morality they all cash in.
Legislate personal freedoms they alll cash in..

BOTH democrats and republicans....

Change the system starting with who you elect and then you can rightfully bitch...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hum that is very dangerous because I see it as one step away from calling pre marital sex a crime and there you have it, you will need a license to have sex.

Then prostitutes will be able to get the license to make money, don't you think?

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
How can there even be a victemless crime?
EVERYBODY needs to ponder that question for five minutes.
How did we let these laws be passed?
What can we do about this insanity?

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
"Victimless crime" is a term applied to crimes, usually vice crimes, to make them seem less threatening.

However, the so-called victimless crimes really do have victims because prostitution is almost always associated with other distructive behaviors that impact an entire community.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
However, the so-called victimless crimes really do have victims because prostitution is almost always associated with other distructive behaviors that impact an entire community.

Yes, but by making prostitution legal these destructive behaviors would go away.
Much like crime created by making drugs illegal, and at one time alcohol.

The system likes crime, it creates income and it gives the state a way of controling the lower classes.

Prostitution is illegal only because it would be hard to control and tax, imo it's nothing to do with morals.

new topics

top topics

join