It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot Firefighter In Parking Lot After Mistaking Wallet For Gun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by juspassinthru

Are the cops worse, or is it that we now have mass media outlets to capture and present what crooked cops have been doing all along?

I find it concerning that no one is looking at this in proper context.

Cops have always been crooked. They have always killed innocent people.

CJ

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Yes it happens, I agree. But it seems like we let those cases cloud our judgement when looking into cases where the person may have brought it on themselves.

Am I the only one that thinks this was just an attempt at "death by cop" by a man that didn't have the balls to do it himself?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I wonder if they parked properly to get it on tape?

No gun was found on the scene, Camden said, but a gun was found at his home.

If he was planning that, why take the chance and not use his real gun though? Still though, I thought cops were trained to take cover behind their doors and properly assess there was a weapon before shooting. Or is that just on COPS real TV shows?
edit on Fri, 12 Jul 2013 21:16:15 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It certainly sounds like the man tried to go for suicide by cop. I would imagine that being a first responder he wouldn't want to use an actual gun and risk hurting an innocent bystander or police officer, but was aware that if he presented his wallet as if it were a gun the police would be forced to shoot him.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I would think that a person who had dedicated their career to helping and protecting others wouldn't want to put others at risk.

Clearly you don't need the real thing, and considering he was a first responder I would think him well aware of that.

It's easy to pick something apart after the fact, but if a guy hops out of a car holding a wallet like a gun, and you already have reason to believe he may have a gun, what are you supposed to do? Press pause and go make sure? Depending on the distance and with only seconds I don't think I would be able to tell a black wallet from a compact Glock. I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone could.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Hmmm, that's a pretty good explanation why he might not use a real gun, if the story is true. Good thinking on that.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well said. I'll let that explanation stand as I don't think I could do better.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by TKDRL

I would think that a person who had dedicated their career to helping and protecting others wouldn't want to put others at risk.

Clearly you don't need the real thing, and considering he was a first responder I would think him well aware of that.

It's easy to pick something apart after the fact, but if a guy hops out of a car holding a wallet like a gun, and you already have reason to believe he may have a gun, what are you supposed to do? Press pause and go make sure? Depending on the distance and with only seconds I don't think I would be able to tell a black wallet from a compact Glock. I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone could.

So you are assuming he was aware his wife called the cops and told them he had a gun? How would he know that? It is just as likely his wife did him in by mentioning it, unbeknownst to him.

CJ

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

He was on the phone when the police approached him. I'd be willing to bet that it was his wife trying to talk him down and told him the cops were called.

The real question is: Why would you jump out of your vehicle like that....when cops are asking you to get out of the car....if you are not trying to get shot?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

He was on the phone when the police approached him. I'd be willing to bet that it was his wife trying to talk him down and told him the cops were called.

The real question is: Why would you jump out of your vehicle like that....when cops are asking you to get out of the car....if you are not trying to get shot?

Speculation. I have no idea what happened.

CJ

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

So you are assuming he was aware his wife called the cops and told them he had a gun?

No not really, though he was apparently on the phone with someone before he exited his vehicle so it's possible. I'm just saying I don't think it's fair to say if he was intending to commit suicide by cop he needed to bring a gun, or would. It sounds like he was suicidal, and I think it more probable that when police showed up at his location he made the decision.

I certainly don't know what was going through his mind, but I don't think it implausible that he was indeed suicidal, and that when confronted by armed police he was savvy enough to know holding his wallet like a gun and acting combative would render the responding officers with no choice but to shoot him.

I think this is all very sad for everyone involved. I've already forgotten what condition the gentleman is in, but hopefully he will make a full recovery and be able to tell us exactly what happened. Until then, is it really fair to vilify the police just because they are police?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It's kind of hard not to hate cops for being cops, when almost every encounter you have had with them has been negative, and some even very negative like traumatic.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
And a gun in my hands is 'dangerous' ?

To date haven't shot anyone.

Amazing how I can't be trusted with a gun, but the 'in crowd' can.
edit on 12-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

be carefully pulling out your wallet though.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
reply to post by neo96

be carefully pulling out your wallet though.

I already been there back when I was around 20ish coming home from work one nite 6 LEOs pulled me over said I was reaching for 'something'. came up to my vehicles with guns drawn.

That was around 20 years ago.

Lucky I wasn't shot guess what though?

I was reaching for my wallet to get my ID as 'we have to show it'.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Maybe it is a roundabout way to get people to drive more carefully.

Makes a traffic stop a serious situation for the driver. Who would have thought we would get to that point.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

Maybe it is a roundabout way to get people to drive more carefully.

Makes a traffic stop a serious situation for the driver. Who would have thought we would get to that point.

They keep shooting people they aren't going to have to worry bout that as there will be no one left driving.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Obviously they should outlaw wallets (if they don't, the terrorists win) and just CHIP all of us so there would be no need for silly ID's.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Obviously they should outlaw wallets (if they don't, the terrorists win) and just CHIP all of us so there would be no need for silly ID's.

That would work for a while, until people started losing the arm they stick out for the ID check. Maybe the police should just slow down and lessen the threat they put themselves in.
edit on 7/12/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

That would work for a while, until people started losing the arm they stick out for the ID check. Maybe the police should just slow down and lessen the threat they put themselves in.
edit on 7/12/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

Don't be silly. We obviously need to spend billions, create another government department and ruin any and all freedoms we have so we can all be safer.

After all, it is for the children.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join