It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot Firefighter In Parking Lot After Mistaking Wallet For Gun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What a country this is where you can gun someone for down for holding their wallet in a threatening manner. I would be afraid of losing an eye myself I guess if they threw it like a throwing star. Trying to put myself in the officers' shoes there though I cant figure how I'd mistake a flat,square wallet for a firearm despite my bad vision. Seriously people, if you want to change police policy, ATTEND YOUR LOCAL CITY COUNCIL MEETING! This is where city police policy is made. County board meeting to address the sheriff department issues and state board members for state police issues. Someone else is not going to do it for you by themselves.

Information Liberation

edit on 12-7-2013 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

I heard that the wallet wasn't even loaded.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Could have been a gun wallet. Made by a 3D Printer. Cops took due measures to protect themselves. I fully support random shootings of suspicious people so they can go on and protect me.

If they didn't who would protect us?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Check out Amadou Diallo. Shot 19 times for the crime of brandishing a wallet.

topics.nytimes.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Killed for Wallet

CJ

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
You may want to read into this a bit more. There is a lot more to this story than just a guy getting shot because of his wallet.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It's happened here in the UK also...yesterday some 24 year old was tazered and died in England, and a few others have been shot for table legs and paint Brushes been mistaken for shotguns/Pistols etc.

The World gone mad..Mad as a Hatter.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I fail to see what purpose cops serve, all they seem to be capable of accomplishing is screwing things up and killing people.

Seriously, when will pigs start being held accountable for their actions?
edit on 12-7-2013 by DestroyDestroyDestroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I thought it was thugs that shot you for your wallet,
Think guns should be band from the police not the public.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The police really need to change their job description:

1) Must be able to lie convincingly about any police action or arrest as necessary to cover the state, city, department or your fellow blue-line gang bangers.

2) Must be willing to kill animals or people upon command. Must be willing to take the initiative to kill on your own.

3) Must be willing to destroy or misplace any camera evidence that interferes with any step listed above.

4) Must be willing to wear combat armor and terrorize civilians on command at illegal checkpoints and illegal searches

5) yada, yada, yada.....

I seriously can't believe how bad it's gotten. The only thing these jokers are missing is the swastika.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

What are you talking about? The cops claim that the guy drew his wallet in an "aggressive stance." If that's enough to justify shooting someone, we're screwed. Furthermore, if this is okay, how is Trayvon Martin's death even a talking point?

I mean, you're basically saying that we can shoot anyone on suspicion alone. That is simply not okay. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

"HURP DURP I THOUGHT HE HAD A GUN SO MY PIG BRAIN TOLD ME TO SHOOT HIM WITHOUT ANY CONFIRMATION!!!!! OINK OINK OINK, I THINK I'LL GO SHOOT SOME PEOPLE AT THE DONUT SHOP NEXT. HURP DURP, IT'S ACCEPTABLE BECAUSE I'M ABOVE THE LAW!!."

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
First responder on first responder violence; we need more of this.

I would say I'm kidding, but I'm not.

My reasoning: It is waaayyyy too accepted for cops to gun down innocent civilians. Sure, there is always outrage, but then the incident is swept under the rug and/or falsely justified. Why? Because civilians have not the resources to fight the law enforcement process. However, fire departments have unions and those union's pockets run just as deep as the police. A few more of these type of shooting will result in new restrictions on the use of deadly force by your local swine.

Despite my comments above, this sounds tragic and I feel for the family and friends of the deceased.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

What are you talking about? The cops claim that the guy drew his wallet in an "aggressive stance." If that's enough to justify shooting someone, we're screwed. Furthermore, if this is okay, how is Trayvon Martin's death even a talking point?

I mean, you're basically saying that we can shoot anyone on suspicion alone. That is simply not okay. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

"HURP DURP I THOUGHT HE HAD A GUN SO MY PIG BRAIN TOLD ME TO SHOOT HIM WITHOUT ANY CONFIRMATION!!!!! OINK OINK OINK, I THINK I'LL GO SHOOT SOME PEOPLE AT THE DONUT SHOP NEXT. HURP DURP, IT'S ACCEPTABLE BECAUSE I'M ABOVE THE LAW!!."

His wife called the cops, saying that he had a gun and was suicidal! If someone jumped out of their car in such a manner and you were told he had a gun...what would you do?

Its easy to be an armchair critic after the fact, but in a real life situation...you would have pulled the trigger as well.

ETA: And all due respect, pulling the Treyvon Martin issue into this is one helluva derp...is it not? Completely different situation and its sad that has to be pulled out in what is supposed to be an intelligent discussion.
edit on 12-7-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What ever happened to officers positioning them self so they don't need to shot someone at first sight. Get a look at who ever it is and assess the situation. The guy could not have come out firing wildly with a wallet.

Sounds like he jumped the gun on showing his ID.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

True story. Last place I lived in in NY, we were a bunch of high school kids who brought it up and got our police force disbanded totally. I live in another town with no police force now by choice.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

He said to her "I can't take it anymore," which is what alarmed her to call the cops. I read nowhere that the wife mentioned he had a gun, so I can't confirm it.

Not that I would ever want to be a cop, but if I were one I would still be more hesitant to use deadly force. I've read so many cases of trigger happy pigs on a power trip resulting in absolute tragedy. I'm talking about cases where a family member alerts authorities that a relative or loved one is suicidal, for example, and the cops come over and do him or her in. The kicker? The cops get away scotch free.

The Trayvon Martin case, as the prosecution has argued, has been a murder based on suspicion alone. We're talking about pigs shooting someone out of suspicion alone. I think it's rather relevant and points at the hypocrisy of the double standard that the situation suggests, don't you?

It's pretty simple, if you want to get away with killing people, become a cop. Even soldiers, in extreme cases, have to answer for their crimes (i.e. massacring an entire village of people), but never pigs.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

He said to her "I can't take it anymore," which is what alarmed her to call the cops. I read nowhere that the wife mentioned he had a gun, so I can't confirm it.

No offense, you have to put a bit more work into it. From the Source

Camden said the man's wife had contacted police, saying he was depressed and she was worried for his safety because he had a gun. The firefighter was on medical leave and had been despondent in the past, Camden said.

Treyvon Martin case....irrelevant.

It's pretty simple, if you want to get away with killing people, become a cop. Even soldiers, in extreme cases, have to answer for their crimes (i.e. massacring an entire village of people), but never pigs.

Most cops I know are good people that approach their job as a public servant, and not a power-tripping a-hole. All too often, we let the actions of a few taint the reputation of all. But the fact you call them pigs says more than you know.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Not really irrelevant. The police can shoot because they see something in a hand and he moves too fast. A civilian is getting the crap kicked out of him, and he gets a full trial for his trouble, maybe even convicted. If it was a cop being beat on like that, a cop could empty a full clip into him, and no one in authority would even question it really. At least I think that was what he was going for.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Seriously people, if you want to change police policy, ATTEND YOUR LOCAL CITY COUNCIL MEETING! This is where city police policy is made. County board meeting to address the sheriff department issues and state board members for state police issues. Someone else is not going to do it for you by themselves.

NAIL ON HEAD!

Get involved on the community level instead of tweeting about star search and the latest courtroom drama all of the damn time.

Everybody gets all riled up for the presidential elections but nobody participates in local government any more.
All of the losers on capitol hill got their start in local politics and we wonder why we only get a choice of wind bag or wing nut every four years.

It's because nobody goes to town council meetings or votes in local elections but they all reeeeaaaalllyy want to see a damn riot when the latest media hyped race case comes along.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Most cops I know are good people that approach their job as a public servant, and not a power-tripping a-hole. All too often, we let the actions of a few taint the reputation of all. But the fact you call them pigs says more than you know.

It would be my guess that you don't know many cops. I've known real cops from 40+ years ago. They were not cut from the same cloth as our police today. Not even close.

I'm extremely grateful that there are so many cameras/mics out in the public today. The public is getting a crash course in the differences between a police report and actual video evidence. Far too often, the written report has zero resemblance to videotaped reality. It's my guess why police are still harassing/arresting people for videotaping them. An honest, professional cop (aka public servant) has nothing to fear from being videotaped.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

Are the cops worse, or is it that we now have mass media outlets to capture and present what crooked cops have been doing all along?

I find it concerning that no one is looking at this in proper context.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join