It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputies: Suspect commented under own 'wanted' photo on Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Ah, Florida. Plenty of sunshine, warm waters, and some of the dumbest people in the country. There's a reason we have a Fark tag for news stories. One would think if you're wanted, you'd not poke the bear online. Nope, not this guy, who was wanted in relation to a robbery. He had an amusing back-and-forth on Facebook.

LAND O' LAKES --

A robbery suspect was arrested after he posted comments under his own "wanted" photo on the Pasco County Sheriff's Office Facebook page.

Matthew Oliver, 23, was arrested Friday on an active warrant for a robbery.

Oliver's photo was posted Wednesday to the PCSO Facebook page as part of agency's "Fugitive of the Day" program. A short while later, Oliver began posting comments under his photo, deputies said.

Read the exchange on Facebook (warning: profanity)

On Friday, the PCSO Fugitive Team posted the following comment: "Members of the Fugitive Warrants Unit observed Matt Oliver as he walked into an apartment wearing a T-shirt. Moments later he came back outside where it is 80 degrees, wearing a camouflague jacket with the hood up. He was apprehended without any resistance."

Officials said that while they have been able to make arrests through the Fugitive of the Day program, this is the first time the suspect has actively and publicly engaged with the agency through the Facebook page.

www.baynews9.com...

And the link to his Wanted photo on FB:
www.facebook.com...

Now, if he really is innocent of the charges as he's claimed, then the PCSO has plenty of explaining to do. Otherwise, it's Florida at it's finest here.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ah...idiots...why say anything more

humms free to be an idiot song as heads to the sunset

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Oliver's photo was posted Wednesday to the PCSO Facebook page as part of agency's "Fugitive of the Day" program. A short while later, Oliver began posting comments under his photo, deputies said.

So, as far as I can tell he's ONLY a suspect, is that right?

If so why has his face been posted on the internet? Surely this should not happen until he's been PROVEN guilty?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Now, if he really is innocent of the charges as he's claimed, then the PCSO has plenty of explaining to do. Otherwise, it's Florida at it's finest here.

These are his words:

You guys are going to pay for A. Believing a crack head. and B. Slandering my name. I already heard about this whole thing and I was in the hospital the day of. This is bull# all I have to do is accuse someone and they get in trouble, Pasco County has nothing but fools investigating crimes for them that's why these mix up happen.
Wednesday at 8:06am · Like · 8

I get out of the hospital for 2 months and I have to come back to this #. I swear on everything I own Pasco County WILL be held responsible for this.

Lol first of all Im a Mechanical Engineer what do you slouches do? and second of all I'm not a criminal. The warrant was Deactivated for a reason. And your insults about big ears don't faze me because I'm better looking than ALL of you lol. And Pasco County IS going to pay for slandering my name youll all see it in the paper one day.
Wednesday at 11:26am · Like · 3

If anything, his actions sound more like someone who might be innocent. It's possible he is guilty, but he claims an alibi of being in the hospital so if he is innocent it should be cleared up.

The US is infamous for getting people to flip, roll, snitch, whatever you want to call it. They have a system of catching a small time criminal, threatening a disproportionate sentence to their crime, then getting them to flip on someone else for reduced sentences. That leads to a lot of bad information.

Without knowing the full story in this case, comments get ignorant rather quickly.

It also looks like he may get an "evading arrest" charge or something similar because he didn't turn himself in. The

Pasco Fugitive Warrants: I have verified that Matt's post about being in the hospital is true. In an earlier post, I provided a telephone number for him to call us. If he feels he does not fit the definition of the word "fugitive," I will be hearing from him.

Which is sad, because it looks like it is verified he was in the hospital.

This is kind of like the story of the girl being arrested for suspicion of alcohol (when she just bought a six pack of sparkling water) but was then arrested for resisting arrest and other crimes of that nature.

But it was water to begin with, so there was no crime. You shouldn't be charged for resisting arrest unless that arrest was valid to begin with.

edit on 12-7-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Also, I'm not sure if he is saying he was in hospital when the warrant was issued, or when the crime was committed. It may very well be the former and in no matter what he should have turned himself in. If it was the latter, it's awfully sad the police still arrested him after finding record of him being somewhere else during the crime.

No matter what, the exchanges on Facebook are disturbing. It doesn't take much for people to show transference of anger, and lash out at this guy immediately without knowing the entire case. Innocent until proven guilty is a myth. And for all the people that cry about "Elites taking over" blah blah, etc, etc. Look how quickly the commoner is ready to ostracize their equals under the first sign of an accusation.

You notice when bankers are subject in inquiry they all keep their mouths tight lipped? And you wonder why there is no justice for prosecuting rich people. It's because they are not so keen on selling each other out as the peasants do.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I wonder...If I was accused of something like Robbery and not yet in custody? Which might I do.....

#1. Find a criminal defense attorney or contact the Public Defenders office to arrange surrender and get it worked out

or....

#2. Taunt the cops and make like it's a game to argue about over Facebook ..while they'll just patiently keep hunting until they make the arrest by force?

Hmmm.... I think #1 would be my choice and without too much time spent considering it. Not much choice really, if I thought I was really innocent ..after all, any other option just makes it infinitely more difficult to get anyone to believe it later. I think this one chose poorly.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

If so why has his face been posted on the internet? Surely this should not happen until he's been PROVEN guilty?

Not true. Has George Zimmerman been proven guilty? How about the Boston bombers? How about all the other people you see on the news when they are arrested, they too had not been proven guilty yet.
edit on 12-7-2013 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

ETA: He was also considered a fugitive of the law when the picture was posted.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Just read most of the FB comments.

He appears to be innocent - that's why he was posting on the pic. Defending himself (not very well, but I have no idea how'd I'd handle a similar sitch).

We'll see.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Not true. Has George Zimmerman been proven guilty? How about the Boston bombers? How about all the other people you see on the news when they are arrested, they too had not been proven guilty yet.

ETA: He was also considered a fugitive of the law when the picture was posted.

"Considered" is not - Proven.

My point is this. Suppose YOUR face were to appear on there, and it said you were wanted in connection with kiddy fiddling, would you consider that to be ok?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Point well made, VoidHawk. Start for you.
BTW OP, that facebook item has now been removed.
edit on 12-7-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Every single person who commented on that picture is as bad as he is in my mind...

None of them can claim to be any better the way they act based simply on an image and a caption.

Essentially equivalent to the old days.

new topics

top topics

join