It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Want To Take An Oath To The Queen Of England? No Voting Rights For You!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It's got to mean something, no sarcasm intended. There must be some kind of monetary gain for those who enforce it. Nothing seems to be done these days unless there's cold, hard cash behind it. Follow the money.

Considering the ridiculousness of this particular legal practice, the most likely explanation would be some old wealthy man who promises 100,000 pounds to the government for each immigrant who successfully pledges their lives to his ruler.
...I wouldn't be surprised...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
It's got to mean something, no sarcasm intended.

It's simply tradition.

Like Morris Dancing, Well Dressing, Christmas and Thanksgiving

None of which make any sense in the modern world, but would you stop them?
edit on 12-7-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
If we got rid of the queen as the top person then we'd end up with having to elect someone every 4-5 years who'd be as corrupt as they come and probably would be even more hated and cost the country 10 times as much and do 5 times less political work than an 80+ year old pensioner and within a few years there would soon be a upswelling for a return to the monarchy especially when the republicans find the first order of the new leader is the establishment of a bunga bunga tax so he can go out shagging slappers on the tax payer

Strange how eleven years from the end of English civil war, Parliament reinstated the Monarchy, James of Scotland was it?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

It only appears that way, as a ruse to keep the true motive hidden. Money is power!
Maybe the US government has made me somewhat cynical...

Anyway, aren't oaths a form of contract? What governmental institution stores pointless contracts... this is amusing me more and more the longer I think about it.

"Just in case."
"In case what?"
"Uh, I have to go. Important meeting."
edit on 12-7-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina

It only appears that way, as a ruse to keep the true motive hidden. Money is power!
Maybe the US government has made me somewhat cynical...

Anyway, aren't oaths a form of contract?

No. They have no legal validity. No difference to the Cub Scout Promise. It's purely symbolic. Whatever some may want you to think .....

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

What a buzzkill. The truth is always boring.
I'll continue to hope that there's a nefarious motive behind every seemingly harmless contract, now.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Charles II maybe ?

The Commonwealth wasn't much cop. England was little more than an army camp. Much of Scotland was occupied by the English Armies and many parts of Ireland were razed to the ground by Cromwell's cruel men, a legacy of hate which lingers on still (rioting in Belfast tonight, incidentally).

Look I'm not for the monarchy at all. Far from it. I just don't think people should nail themselves to a great big girly ATS cross and scream, "Woe is me, for I have an oath to sign" ... while normal, rational contributors just look on a bit bemused, wondering what all the fuss is about.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Is it morally right that an un-elected person should have such power over other people?

The Queen's only real power is preventing us being ruled by the richest wannabe dictator - as is the case in Russia and the USA

I'd rather have s symbolic Queen than be annexed by the US.
I like being a member of a commonwealth. It feels like we have certain countries as cousins - Australia, the UK, Bahamas.....

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Oh thank god I'm born here, because I didn't have to take that oath with free will and intention, and i would never ever do it. Just thought they should know that, and while here ,this is my land, my temporary home, not theirs, it belongs to us the people, they are but pimply faced, employees and shouldn't put on any airs at all.

Not annexed by the states nor under the queen, but a free and sovereign nation by the people, for the people.

edit on 12-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
No-one is forced to emigrate to Canada. If you don't like the rules, emigrate to somewhere like North Korea instead
I agree...if Canadians want to change the rules, then we may do so. But as the child of immigrants, I say if you don't want to play by our rules...don't let the door slam you in the arse, eh?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm sorry but no one should have to pledge to the queen of a foregin nation to enter our country.

Don't follow the rules applies to constitution not to this corporate law crapola.

And as far as that goes, governments violate that all the time with illegal legislation and acts.

All crapola.

People need to wake up and flush the big toilet to let all the stuff that isn't good equal constitutionally based out and down.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think we have enough immigrants here in Canada who do not want to follow our rules.
From people who come here long enough to get a Canadian passport then go to Libya and blow up a gas plant to
those who join our national police force then refuse to wear the mandated uniform because their religion says they must wear a turban.
Cripes, remember Merry Christmas? I still will not put up a holiday tree. it's a Christmas Tree.
There are others who come here long enough to get citizenship then go back to their own country to live until they need health care or get in trouble at home then call the Canadian Gov't to bail them out.

If they refuse to follow the rules made to make them citizens, then they should be deported and refused future entry period.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

The incidents you speak of are all highly un-common in Canada.

Immigration in Canada, other than BC is actually quite good, the process isn't that difficult and we'll let any skilled worker in as long as they have a sponsor and can prove they can add to the economy with their skills.

This whole country was FOUNDED on immigration and allowing people of all kinds of cultures to come here and be themselves.

I'm just upset that we still subscribe to this "Monarchy is good" mentality, even if it is just symbolic.

Yay for Canadian Apathy.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I don't mind her bless her.
Sometimes I think it is all just anti UK etc but I always ask where would the world be without the British empire?
I the empire made the world a better place

We don't mind If canadians wish to leave but I think the UK and its commonwealth partners should form a stronger bond..at the end of the day we are from the same loins and the commonwealth is 30% of humanity who have a long history together.
I would vote out of the EU to strengthen ties with my commonwealth brothers and sisters.
She is nothing more than a figurehead..If you want to go with the USA be our guest.
edit on 12-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: drunk lol

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I'm just upset that we still subscribe to this "Monarchy is good" mentality, even if it is just symbolic.
To me, this has nothing to do with the monarchy either way. It is about the expectation that one can come to this country and trash its traditions as outsiders. If one wants to affect change as a citizen, go for it. But to try and change the rules on the way in? Nope. Sorry...I don't want them as Canadians.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I'm sorry but no one should have to pledge to the queen of a foregin nation to enter our country.

What makes you think people have to do that to enter Canada?
Anyway, Queen Elizabeth IS the Queen of Canada, so she is not a foreign Queen at all!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
According to history any King/Queen derives their power as a result of divine lineage. In short, they are God's representative here on Earth....if you believe that sort of tripe.

In this case it derives from the Constitution Act, 1982, which amended and reaffirmed the Constitution Act, 1867. Said act being passed by Canada's democratically elected legislature, the Queen of Canada derives her power from the consent of the people. This is to whom the oath of citizenship refers:

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfill my duties as a Canadian citizen.

It does not refer to a Queen of England, and I do not believe there has been an office by that name for some number of centuries (since 1707?). England is merely a constituent country in one of the Queen of Canada's other realms, some island across the ocean.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Do Aussies take this oath as well?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
As an American I was under the impression the English royalty we're akin to figure heads with no real political power.Now they DEMAND loyalty oaths?Pretty bold for"figureheads".

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawg61
Now they DEMAND loyalty oaths?Pretty bold for"figureheads".

Where has the Queen demanded it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join