It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Want To Take An Oath To The Queen Of England? No Voting Rights For You!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
So, I never had to take an Oath to the Queen, I guess the government just assumed I would be a good lap dog. However, if you immigrate to Canada...

Source

Three permanent residents are in court in Toronto today arguing they should not be forced to take an oath to the Queen as a condition of citizenship.

They say the requirement is discriminatory and violates their constitutional rights.

The three oppose the oath on religious or conscientious grounds, saying pledging allegiance to Canada should be enough.

They also note that those who are citizens because they were born in Canada don't need to take any oaths.

For its part, the federal government argues the oath to the Queen has been around since Confederation.

It also says the three are in Canada voluntarily and are free to follow their political or religious dictates as permanent residents — and that not having the benefits of citizenship is a reasonable cost of their personal beliefs.

Without pledging allegiance to the Monarchy, you can't vote in this country. You can't get a passport in this country, without putting yourself under the RULERSHIP of the Queen. Effectively our governments asks you to voluntarily become a slave in order to enjoy the benefits of citizenship.

Sure, that's a bit over the top, but it's true isn't it? Pledging allegiance to the country IMO is dumb in itself, I never understood patriotism. I reserve the right to hate or love my country at any point and time in my life.

"It is not constitutionally inconsistent that the applicants who find Canada's foundational democratic political structure to be 'repugnant,' at least in parts, are not accorded the right to vote within that political system," the government says.

Do you hear these fools? If you are against being under the boot of the Queen, then you aren't Canadian apparently.

I'm a bit outraged.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think your outrage in entirely contrived. You live in a crowned republic, the same status as Britain and all the other Westminster type countries. The Queen is simply a figurehead, replaced entirely in your country by a Canadian in their capacity as governor general. You don't have to pledge allegiance to vote, get a passport etc etc, all that is nonsense. Quite why your government has imposed the oath on immigrants I don't know, I suspect Buckingham Palace doesn't know and quite frankly doesn't care.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I wonder if they can try and revoke your rights, because I am in no way a serf to some self righteous system of monarchs. I have no Queen and would never bow down to anyone who feels they have rule over me. My blood like that wretched witch in England is red just as everyone else's.

I feel most Canadians would tell them to go piss up a rope if this was mandated for everyone. And feel that as long as you support your country, and have love for your fellow country man, and strive to be a part of the Canadian way of life that is enough.

You should never be made a servant under some assbackwards regime of the royally gifted.....

SaneThinking

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
What does it say on the inside of a canadian passport as on ours here in the UK it states that her Britannic majesty request and requires......blah blah & much more crap follows so if you don't accept the power of the person issuing the document why should you want the document etc since in theory the bit that exercises the internation power for it to be accepted is null so you might as well try travelling with a few crayons and a colouring book for all its legal power

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Because we still live in a monarchy and anybody telling you otherwise has fallen for the centuries old propaganda.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

No it's not contrived of me to request that my government stop worshiping the Queen Of England and her offspring.

I am not a citizen of Great Britain, I have never taken an Oath to the Queen and I find it insulting to my personal sovereignty that anybody would think I am obliged to be 'faithful' to a monarch of ANY KIND...

The above statement rings true for most people I would think. Some people may think it's simply a small thing, but it's a matter of principle. Regardless of if the Oath is symbolic or not, it means a hell of a lot more than what people make it out to be.

Personally I want the Monarchy out of my country, off of my money, I want the Governor General's office abolished. For starters.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No-one is forced to emigrate to Canada. If you don't like the rules, emigrate to somewhere like North Korea instead

btw the "the Queen of England" is the "Queen of The Falkland Islands" and the "Queen of Alberta" and the "Queen of Evesham, Worcestershire". Why not use those terms since they make just as much sense
There hasn't been a specific "Queen of England" for 1,000 years ......
edit on 12-7-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
You Canadians should fight a war for independence to avoid bowing down to despotic monarchs.....

So that several hundred years later you can bow down to a whole slew of despotic wanna-be monarchs ruling the country without the consent of the enemy populace.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

No it's not contrived of me to request that my government stop worshiping the Queen Of England and her offspring.

I am not a citizen of Great Britain, I have never taken an Oath to the Queen and I find it insulting to my personal sovereignty that anybody would think I am obliged to be 'faithful' to a monarch of ANY KIND...

The above statement rings true for most people I would think. Some people may think it's simply a small thing, but it's a matter of principle. Regardless of if the Oath is symbolic or not, it means a hell of a lot more than what people make it out to be.

Personally I want the Monarchy out of my country, off of my money, I want the Governor General's office abolished. For starters.

~Tenth

Your government doesn't worship the Queen or her descendants, nor would any Canadian or Briton consider it reasonable for them to be forced to take oaths to vote or get a passport ... I don't know where you're getting that crap from either. The oath means nothing.

You're just exaggerating for effect.

You want a republic though ? Many do. But like many republicans, perhaps you too should consider restraining your mouth. That way people might better listen to your arguments.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
From where does her right come from to insist people pledge themselves to her?

Is it morally right that an un-elected person should have such power over other people?

I say give the old bag a council house and share her wealth among those from whom it was taken.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Is it morally right that an un-elected person should have such power over other people?

The Queen's only real power is preventing us being ruled by the richest wannabe dictator - as is the case in Russia and the USA

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

ou're just exaggerating for effect.

You want a republic though ? Many do. But like many republicans, perhaps you too should consider restraining your mouth. That way people might better listen to your arguments.

I don't live in a republic. I live in Corporatist Oligarchy. Most of the world's countries that claim to have either democracy, a republic or any other sort of non-monarch or totalitarian government are actually just fooling themselves.

If your country has a central bank and a government where only about 10% are actually elected, the rest appointed, that's not a republic, nor a democracy.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

According to history any King/Queen derives their power as a result of divine lineage. In short, they are God's representative here on Earth....if you believe that sort of tripe.

Morals are what the Monarchy decides they are apparently.

I say give the old bag a council house and share her wealth among those from whom it was taken.

Then that is not a monarchy, now is it? If that is the case, then there is ample historic precedent to secede from this type of rule. Some have been successful (so far) for over 200 years.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If we got rid of the queen as the top person then we'd end up with having to elect someone every 4-5 years who'd be as corrupt as they come and probably would be even more hated and cost the country 10 times as much and do 5 times less political work than an 80+ year old pensioner and within a few years there would soon be a upswelling for a return to the monarchy especially when the republicans find the first order of the new leader is the establishment of a bunga bunga tax so he can go out shagging slappers on the tax payer

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa

According to history any King/Queen derives their power as a result of divine lineage. In short, they are God's representative here on Earth....if you believe that sort of tripe.

Not in Britain. We ended that in 1649

But we soon woke up to that fact that allowing the richest, nmost powerful person to dictate to the people, wasn't such a good idea after all. So we reverted to a monarchy to provide a safety net and better democracy. Americans have yet to earn this lesson and still thing Bush and Obama are good things.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
That isn't bad, my grandfather had to swear to give up allegiance to St. Nicholas the second when he came from Finland to America. Well, I suppose he WAS already about twenty one when he came here.
Santa never brought him a present after that.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I kind of wish that the monarchy was alive and well, so that us Americans could have something to point to and say "See! THAT is what we are trying to stop from happening to our country!"

People have short memories it seems..... the attitudes and actions of our current leaders mirror those of the monarchs of the past, and they even have their little bought-off lords and ladies in the Corporate world. Divine right to rule indeed. It seems whatever form of government you have, those with grandiose self image and no ability to help the people rise to the top.

Maybe they are destined to rule by god, and god simply HATES US and wants us to suffer.

Hmmmm.....

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
That isn't bad, my grandfather had to swear to give up allegiance to St. Nicholas the second when he came from Finland to America. Well, I suppose he WAS already about twenty one when he came here.
Santa never brought him a present after that.

OMG! No Father Christmas!!!! That's despotic ......

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Raise your right hand..... and..... lie.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You may think me odd for saying the following but;

As a Canadian, I have always felt an attachment to the Monarchy. Now this may be some misplaced sense of loyalty, but I could never bring myself to see any purpose in completely separating ourselves from them.

This also could be cultural, as the emphasis on duty and honour (including spelling
) are quite different between Canada and the US.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that without the monarchy who do have to offer our loyalty to. Certainly not Harper!

Maybe if treadeau doesn't turn out to be a flake....

Now whether or not to require new citizens to swear an oath, I dont know. My personal beliefs and feelings on the matter are my own. Strength through unity? Does this statement ring true anymore...i dont know. Or does what makes us different make us strong...this seems less likely..
edit on 12-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join