It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

andaman.org has been lost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
One of the webs best sources for anthropology and new world archeology, Andaman.org, George Weber's Lonely Islands, has been lost. The domain name expired last month and the content is awaiting deletion.
That is truely a loss for anyone with an interest in new world archeology and anthropology. Mr Weber's compilation of information on the Negrrito peoples of south east Asia and oceana was comprehensive and thorough.
He also wrote extensively on new world dispersals of humanity cataloging the oldest accepted sites in the Americas.

I wondered how long it would last as it hadn't been updated in several years. I suspect that Mr. Weber has passed.

I wil miss the content and I used it heavily as a source in many posts.

It also re enforces my belief that digital information is fleeting and temporary.

RIP Andaman.org

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
is the way-back-machine still able to retrieve the data?
thanks for posting (i was unaware of that website)

i think there will be some people out there who will eventually pick up the threads. it always seems to happen.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Wayback last archived in June 2, 2013. Not savvy enough to make the wayback link work on ATS. Here's the address for copy/pasting: web.archive.org/web/20130602035534/andaman.org...

The site admin should throw up a Kickstarter project if they're struggling. Shouldn't cost much to keep the domain and server space. I think the bigger issue is the lack of updates to the site since April 2, 2009.
edit on 7/12/2013 by Halekoch because: Broken Link

edit on 7/12/2013 by Halekoch because: Still Broken

edit on 7/12/2013 by Halekoch because: Gave up on a link, used address

edit on 7/12/2013 by Halekoch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Here is a link that opens up that site Via Archive.org.
Because of the weird format of Archive.org URL's (thinks like having a second "http" embedded in them), some parser's choke on them. So, typically you wrap it in some URL shorten-er (such as Google's).

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

you can archive and preserve entire websites to your hard disk for offline viewing

HTTrack

PageNest Free Offline Browser

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Ah the things I learn on ATS. Much obliged for this. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Hi thanks for that

And thanks for everyone's response, it would truely be a shame if all that work went to waste.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

Hi thanks for that

And thanks for everyone's response, it would truely be a shame if all that work went to waste.

reply to post by aboutface

you're welcome.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
One of the webs best sources for anthropology and new world archeology, Andaman.org, George Weber's Lonely Islands, has been lost. The domain name expired last month and the content is awaiting deletion.
That is truely a loss for anyone with an interest in new world archeology and anthropology. Mr Weber's compilation of information on the Negrrito peoples of south east Asia and oceana was comprehensive and thorough.
He also wrote extensively on new world dispersals of humanity cataloging the oldest accepted sites in the Americas.

I wondered how long it would last as it hadn't been updated in several years. I suspect that Mr. Weber has passed.

I wil miss the content and I used it heavily as a source in many posts.

It also re enforces my belief that digital information is fleeting and temporary.

RIP Andaman.org

Wow. I looked at that archive link - what a fascinating website. I always wonder what the entire ancestral tree of the whole human population would look like.

edit on 13-7-2013 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Andaman.org was taken over by a Japanese domain reseller last year after George, who is ill, was unable to renew in time.

The domain is gone, but we have registered andamans.org (a change of one letter) and are rebuilding George's site at that url. It is a work in progress and only recently begun, but we hope it won't be long before all that fascinating and valuable information is back.

Please visit andamans.org....

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by voynich

Thanks for the update on this. It's good to see that a rather valuable resource will not be lost to the ages. Kudos to you guys for all the effort put into keeping this site alive.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by voynich

That is awesome,
It is one of the best archeology sites on the web

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

voynich

Andaman.org was taken over by a Japanese domain reseller last year after George, who is ill, was unable to renew in time.

The domain is gone, but we have registered andamans.org (a change of one letter) and are rebuilding George's site at that url. It is a work in progress and only recently begun, but we hope it won't be long before all that fascinating and valuable information is back.

Please visit andamans.org....

Tremendous news, and please update us on the progress and when it nears or is at completion. And are the people working on that project award of Jeremey Norman's site? If not, please have a look (the thread about it is linked in the second line in my signature, below).
edit on 26-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

top topics

join