It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Soccer Legend Emlyn Hughes Dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
As a young boy he was a hero of mine. Not only a great captain in one of the greatest and most successful club sides ever (the Liverpool of the late 70's) but a man with one of the greatest sense's of humour in British sport ever, died of a brain tumour today.

Emlyn Hughs OBE, one of British sport's great characters. A sad loss for football and the fans that watched him play.

Former England and Liverpool captain Emlyn Hughes has died from a brain tumour at the age of 57.
Hughes earned 62 caps for the national team and led Liverpool to a string of honours while at the Anfield club.

He helped the club to four league titles, two European Cups, an FA Cup victory and two Uefa Cup titles.

Hughes was the first player to lift the European Cup for Liverpool after the victory over Borussia Moenchengladbach in 1977.

He was awarded an OBE in 1980 for his services to sport and the larger than life personality was nicknamed Crazy Horse.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I kind of feel a piece of my childhood went with him. My mother could only bear to watch the BBC's "A Question of Sport" when it first started because of "Little Emlyn" , as she called him, who was one of the team captains.

[edit on 9-11-2004 by John bull 1]

join