It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heathrow shut after Boeing Dreamliner 787 fire

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Heathrow shut after Boeing Dreamliner 787 fire

www.bbc.co.uk

Runways at London's Heathrow airport have closed after a fire on a parked Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner jet.

Arrivals and departures were suspended after the incident at 16:30 BST, a spokesman for the airport said. No passengers were aboard at the time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
online.wsj.com
www.usatoday.com

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't get it. How on earth could this plane possibly have been certified to fly? It's had two fires in a few months already.

I bet it's the need to keep Boeing afloat as to not derail the DoJ contracts with them.

How long will this plane be permitted to fly in other countries than the US?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
People, we are under attack. Lol...

j/k... or not...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wonder if it has anything to do with the fire regarding its batteries like last time?
edit on 12-7-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
How can Ethiopa afford to buy a Boeing 787 'Dreamliner' when the country can't afford to supply enough buckets for people to S*** in let alone feed them?

PDUK

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
No offense to Boeing but their new toy seems more of a Nightmareliner than Dreamliner.

What the heck went SO wrong in development that something which took so long and cost so much can be little better than a Jalope off the local shyster's used car lot?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So.. let me get this right...

they fixed the problem by putting metal boxes around the batteries? lol

If this is a battery fire then this is a huge problem for Boeing.

But then again I do love Airbus

Boeing Boeing Gone.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
Wonder if it has anything to do with the fire regarding its batteries like last time?
edit on 12-7-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

It's claimed to be due to overheating so it sounds eerie similar. But Boing has "fixed" this problem already according to them

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
How can Ethiopa afford to buy a Boeing 787 'Dreamliner' when the country can't afford to supply enough buckets for people to S*** in let alone feed them?

Well that's easy. The development aid is not for developing the countries but to make them buy crap off the west. In other words, subsidies of our own companies.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why do you think lithium ion batteries haven't been used before now? You couldn't even ship them on a passenger plane. They're great in terms of weight, but they're dangerous.

Although they're awhile from confirming it was a battery fire. They said it was in the rear of the aircraft, but the APU, which also has been having an overheating problem is back there as well. Don't jump to conclusions that it's the batteries. It's too early to speculate.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyfon
It's claimed to be due to overheating so it sounds eerie similar. But Boing has "fixed" this problem already according to them

Everyone is jumping to conclusions that it's the battery. The APU was also having an overheating problem recently as well, and could have caught fire.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Who needs terrorism anymore?

We just make planes that blow themselves up now. Man The Corporate Government of the World is really getting good at that.

Yeah, that plane really needs to be hauled off the market and tested, fully, before it's allowed to be used commercially. It's just one thing after another. There comes a point where I have to ask, maybe this project is a little too big for your britches?

~Tenth
edit on 7/12/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'm not sure about batteries vs. anything else, personally and that's the issue, isn't it? This is the same plane that has had multiple emergency landings at Seattle due to sensor readings and oil faults before crossing into a trans-pacific flight, right? Not encouraging with the variety of issues...

Or, honestly, is the media just reporting this SO much more and more sensitive to it that we're simply seeing things that we may not have heard about before, but happened regularly enough anyway?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Sorry to rain the parade guys

Already posted HERE

Fair's fair on ATS

Cody

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Or, honestly, is the media just reporting this SO much more and more sensitive to it that we're simply seeing things that we may not have heard about before, but happened regularly enough anyway?

Probably a bit of both. Yes, the dreamliners are going to be under a lot more scrutiny, but also any incedent that shuts the runways down at Heathrow isn't going to be unreported by the BBC.

In any case, I wouldn't like to be booked on a dreamliner anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Just about every plane built had problems with it. When the 777 first came out, it had one of the lowest dispatch ratings of any Boeing plane ever built. Now, 18 years on, it had its first ever fatalities, and only its third ever hull loss accident.

The problem with the Dreamliner is that it's coming into the world in a time when the media has to sensationalize things in a huge way to keep people interested, and keep their ratings up. Yes, some of this is Ungood obviously, but a lot of the minor problems are being over reported and blown out of proportion.

As for this incident, IIRC the electronics bay is in the bottom of the aircraft, below the aft galley. This aircraft has burn marks on the top of the aft fuselage, just before the tail of the aircraft. That leads me to believe it's either APU, or a wiring issue in the upper aft fuselage.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Heathrow is open again. Very hot day, air con maybe going at full blast.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Errr.... Identical topics can exist in Breaking Alternative News and one other Forum.

I'd thought the same thing until I checked forum names.. lol

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Based on news photos from the runway at London’s Heathrow Airport, the fire aboard an Ethiopian Airlines 787 Friday doesn’t appear to be related to battery malfunction, said Scott Hamilton, an aviation analyst at Leeham News in Issaquah.

Because the images show fire damage in the upper fuselage, in front of the tail, Hamilton said he suspects the fire wasn’t caused by a faulty battery, which is down in the cargo bay area of the plane.

“What it doesn’t look like is that it’s a battery, and that’s the important part,” he said. With all the issues that have plagued the 787 Dreamliner recently, if it were battery-related, “that would almost certainly put the plane back on the ground again.”

seattletimes.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I would think that even if it was something else than the battery it would be grounded too. But we'll see.
The other components ain't that new though so maybe this is just a random freak accident with some faulty wires or the APU as you say.

The more stuff you cram into these things the more has potential to fail.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by cody599

Errr.... Identical topics can exist in Breaking Alternative News and one other Forum.

I'd thought the same thing until I checked forum names.. lol

My bad

And my apologies to the OP, I didn't think to check

Cody

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join