It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

zero client desktop streaming to your tv

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
There are currently numerous solutions to stream your desktop (pc,tablet,phone) to an hdmi input such as a tv ,but none that I have seen appear to work well nor easily configurable for most users.

Hopefully this new device will make streaming your desktop to any monitor seamlessly and effortless.

a USB memory stick-sized device that plugs into a monitor or display, transforming it into a zero client.

www.pcworld.com...

IMO , i think their is a tech war among the big corps on who is going to control how you watch tv in the future and they prefer you use their devices (Roku.Boxee,Native tv app,etc) instead of your computer.

In addition , I wouldn't think Hollywood is to keen on the masses being able to easily screen capture HD videos rented via legitimate sources such as AMAZON,VUDU,NETFLIX, etc and recording them.

Not to mention streaming from illegal sources.

Interesting that most streaming devices have cr@ppy webrowsing capabilities if any. A good web browser would allow the users to circumvent many of the features the vendor wants you to u$e.

I'm hoping that this device will allow me to sit on my couch and use my android tablet as my device and when I find a movie,website,url,etc that I'm interested to watch then I can send it to the tv without cables , servers or any transcoding.

Most of the dlna solutions that I have tried have not impressed me and from what i understand wireless hdmi boxes are still to laggy.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't know what's so special about this... Most laptops today have an HDMI output built-in. My only screen is my flat screen TV. You also have the option of upgrading your graphic card for one with HDMI included. What's new about this?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

mainly its the size as it can hide nicely behind the screen compared to a HTPC etc sat below the screen

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Not having the cords is a big thing for me, it allows me to setup up a limitless HTPC system with an easy touch enabled interface.

Unlike a pc it will be under a $100 I can have one setup in each of my like a roku device but without the roku limitations.

In addition, since it will be zero client the interface will mirror the device that is connected to the client. In my case I find my tablet touch interface very friendly and intuitive to use without requiring keyboards or mouse unlike a pc.

My tablet will become my touch enabled remote,media server,web browser,app server,etc.

Granted I'm probably a little more excited than most about this device because this is exactly what I was looking to do with a new HTPC system I was going to build. Until now I hadn’t seen anything that allowed me to mirror and use my tablet UI as my tv remote in true 1080p without any limitations. I was just looking into developing my own android app using dlna to try to accomplish this.

edit on 12-7-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42

Not having the cords is a big thing for me, it allows me to setup up a limitless HTPC system with an easy touch enabled interface.

Unlike a pc it will be under a $100 I can have one setup in each of my like a roku device but without the roku limitations.

In addition, since it will be zero client the interface will mirror the device that is connected to the client. In my case I find my tablet touch interface very friendly and intuitive to use without requiring keyboards or mouse unlike a pc.

My tablet will become my touch enabled remote,media server,web browser,app server,etc.

Granted I'm probably a little more excited than most about this device because this is exactly what I was looking to do with a new HTPC system I was going to build. Until now I hadn’t seen anything that allowed me to mirror and use my tablet UI as my tv remote in true 1080p without any limitations. I was just looking into developing my own android app using dlna to try to accomplish this.

edit on 12-7-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

You do realize with all that wireless radiation you will get cancer from all those hi power radiation .so if the transformers 2 don't fry your brain all this radiation will give you CANCER CANCER CANCER...CUE ECHO CANCER CANCE CANC....

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky

You do realize with all that wireless radiation you will get cancer from all those hi power radiation .so if the transformers 2 don't fry your brain all this radiation will give you CANCER CANCER CANCER...CUE ECHO CANCER CANCE CANC....

Nah , I eat plenty of preservatives to protect me from the radiation cancer. But I do appreciate the concern.

new topics

top topics

join