It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6 Types of Atheists and Non-Believers in America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is the link to the original study being discussed in the article (OP title)The 6 Types of Atheists and Non-Believers in America

Here's a non-controversial one for ya, guys and gals. It's NOT an "opinion piece", mmmmkay?

Interesting little bit of research into the "flavors" of those of us 'outside of religion'.

Researchers polled non-believers to find out who abandons religion and why. The answers tell us a lot about religion and non-belief in America.
July 11, 2013 |
With the rising number of people in America— now nearly one in five—who have no religious affiliation at all, more people are asking questions about who exactly these unbelievers are. Not all of them identify as atheist or agnostic or a non-believer, but plenty do, and while there are many people offering to defend this particular community, few are willing to speak for them.

The six styles are:

1. Intellectual Atheist/Agnostic
By far, the most common kind of non-believer, at nearly 38 percent. This group enjoys intellectual discourse, and while they’re often very certain about their beliefs, they’re not belligerent about it.... They like debating religion, but aren’t particularly interested in chasing down believers to give them a hard time.

2. Activist
This group also gets commonly accused of being dogmatic, but like the intellectual atheist, while they’re firm in their beliefs, they’re intellectually flexible and don’t prioritize attacking believers....“They seek to be both vocal and proactive regarding current issues in the atheist and/or agnostic socio-political sphere."

3. Seeker-Agnostic
This group, which makes up 7.6 percent of non-believers, are unlikely to be as critical of religion as most other groups. They prioritize not-knowingness. If you ever come across people saying, “I don’t know, but neither do you!” regarding religious belief, you’re dealing with a seeker-agnostic.

4. Anti-Theist
This group tends to get conflated with all atheists by believers, but they only constitute 15 percent of non-believers. Like the Intellectual Atheists, they like to argue about religion, but they are much more aggressive about it and actively seek out religious people in an effort to disabuse them of their beliefs.

5. Non-Theist.
They don’t believe in any gods, but don’t think about those who do very often.

6. Ritual Atheist/Agnostic
This group, making up 12.5 percent of atheists, doesn’t really believe in the supernatural, but they do believe in the community aspects of their religious tradition enough to continue participating. We’re not just talking about atheists who happen to have a Christmas tree, but who tend to align themselves with a religious tradition even while professing no belief.

See the article for the author's "opinions" about whether this is 'good' or 'bad' - but the research stands alone, and is what this thread is offering.

It's fun to 'categorize' people SOMETIMES. Do any of you see yourselves or any other members (no need to name names) in these six "styles" of non-belief?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I think i fall more into category 1 but... sometimes i go into Category 2 when there is a need be.

I think Category 6 is the last type i want to associate with.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Hmm. Where exactly do all the belligerent JREF pseudo-skeptics fit in?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

What are belligerent JREFs?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

What are belligerent JREFs?

Are you telling me that you haven't spend enough time at JREF to see how much the non-believers there suck?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yeah, I think I'm more 1 and 2, also.
I think category six are interesting cats, though - but then, I'm always focused on what makes people behave the way they do.

The number 4s however? Yeah, they're just nasty. MEAN. I've run into a few....and ran away asap.

edit on 12-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Well, since I don't know what the hell you are talking about, yes, I guess I'm telling you that.
Is it some forum?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Only thing i could find for JREF was this...

The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) is a non-profit organization founded in 1996 by magician and skeptic James Randi. The JREF's mission includes educating the public and the media on the dangers of accepting unproven claims, and to support research into paranormal claims in controlled scientific experimental conditions.

Magician...? Researching into Paranormal?

Nope, They are Not Athiest(god-wise).
edit on 7/12/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Soo....are you going to enlighten us to this belligerent crowd's location? Or just leave us hanging??

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

reply to post by luciddream

Yeah, I think I'm more 1 and 2, also.
I think category six are interesting cats, though - but then, I'm always focused on what makes people behave the way they do.

The number 4s however? Yeah, they're just nasty. MEAN. I've run into a few....and ran away asap.

I would say that the core JREF pseudo-skeptic crowd is a combination of 1, 2, and 4.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

All right, fine, but would you tell us what the Acronym stands for, if you please? Sir?
Or, is it a riddle? If I recall, you like riddles.

Okay, I'll play:
Just Refuse Every Faith?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Soo....are you going to enlighten us to this belligerent crowd's location? Or just leave us hanging??

Yeah its a propaganda site disguised as an educational foundation. It has a forum.

forums.randi.org...

edit on 12-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

All right, fine, but would you tell us what the Acronym stands for, if you please? Sir?
Or, is it a riddle? If I recall, you like riddles.

Okay, I'll play:
Just Refuse Every Faith?

luciddream already provided that info, I figured you would see it and maybe do a little googling

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Lucid Dream wins!!!!!

Nope, I never heard of it. Not thinking I want to hang out there, though, unless it's just for snips and grins.
At least, based on your description.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Yeah don't hang out there. They aren't worthy of your presence.

They are the inspiration for this talk:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I'm a #4 and I'm not mean. I don't see how being convicted of your philosophy and actively wanting to open people's eyes to their mistakes makes one "mean".

I like to engaged in debate first for my own benifit and secondly, for the benifit of anyone who is involved in the discourse.

Sorry if I sounded mean

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Definitley number one.

I will always say that as an atheist, unlike religious people, I view all religions equally.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
Definitley number one.

I will always say that as an atheist, unlike religious people, I view all religions equally.

I'm a religious person and I view all religions equally.

So there.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philodemus

I'm a #4 and I'm not mean. I don't see how being convicted of your philosophy and actively wanting to open people's eyes to their mistakes makes one "mean".

I like to engaged in debate first for my own benifit and secondly, for the benifit of anyone who is involved in the discourse.

Sorry if I sounded mean

Yeah, I'm a little insulted at how you just a priori start off referring to peoples mistakes as if you could possibly know.

Maybe you should worry about your own mistakes. Such as that one.

edit on 12-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Philodemus

Well, I've never noticed you being "mean." I was thinking of a woman called Greta Christina, who was at the ReasonFest thing I went to in April. She writes articles for alternet sometimes - and she's NOT A NICE LADY.
I saw her stand up and start shouting at a speaker who was BRAVE enough to come to a conference for Agnostics and Atheists regarding morality and ethics -
he was ONE currently practicing Christian who was trying to talk about "how to talk to religious people without being a dick" (MUCH like the vid that BlueMule just gave us)

She was shouting at him after his talk "WHAT GOOD DOES CHRISTIANITY DO!!" Just all beliigerent and in the guy's face. At the time I didn't realize she was one of the speakers for later in the conference, but, yeah - she was a PRICKLY and OBNOXIOUS person --

THAT is the type I'm talking about.
You'd probably enjoy bluemule's video -

Thanks for contributing, though, hope you stick around!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join