It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Earths Magnetic Field Fliping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If anyone sawthe program on channel 4. u wil have heard that the earth's magnetic fieeld is going to flip soon, meaning dramatic changes for us!

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
More info on this anywhere?

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I would personally find it at all surprising that the earths magnetic field is flipping, and it likely is in the process of doing so.

It is known that the precessive motion of the magnetic poles is currently becoming far more eratic that normal, and the earths magnetic field is becoming detectibly weaker, both of which are hallmarks of a flip.

Also, if you have read the thread about worldwide seismic events, you will notice that I have been posting a good number of links indicating that the earth is currently in the midst of a prolonged geomagnetic storm. This is normally correlatable with strong solar flare activity, although there is currently no such activity. I put forth the theory that this is associated with HAARP emmissions, as it does tend to correlate with monitored HAARP transmissions.

However, I will say that the current geomagnetic storm may in fact not have so much to do with HAARP as a potential symptom of a magnetic pole flip.

But, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

A magnetic field flip usually takes hundreds if not thousands of years to accomplish. You dont just wake up and the magnetic field is 180 degrees opposite of what it was yesterday. It basically fades slowly away to almost nothing (which it seems to be doing), and then comes slowly back to full strength, in the opposite orientation.

*Note, to my knowledge, the magnetic field does not fade completely to zero.

I know a lot of people have said that such an event will seriously affect our civilization. The main catastrophes that are mentioned are either A, an effect similar to Electromagnet Pulse will render all of our technology unusable, or B, all shielding for solar radiation will go away and we will all be doomed by ionizing solar radiation.

A, our magnetic field will change so slowly as to make it unlikely to affect our modern electronic system. If there are any such effects, it will likely take so long to manifest that we will find countermeasures to protect our technology.

B, Hundreds of magnetic field flips have been recorded, and they are not totally correlatable to extinction events. Yes, there will likely be a spike in certain types of cancers that are related to ionizing radiation, but it wont be enough to seriously affect the survival of the human race. It will essentially be like back in the day when smoking was cool and lung cancer was prevalent. Those likely to be affected in this scenario are those who spend extended time outdoors during the day, especially in near equatorial lattitudes (like me), and strangely, those who fly for extended periods (as you spend more time at high altitude, where shielding is thinner: frequent fliers are suspected of having higher than average rates of certain types of cancer.)

My advice: first, DONT PANIC, it will be fine!

Second, try to minimize your time outdoors, or at least use the highest PF sunscreen you can (dont be too concerned with your tan!)

Third, if you are a frequent flier, try to schedule your flights for night time.

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I heard something about this subject on the radio the other day (but didn't hear all of it , due to someone not being able to shut up )...... anyways , this lady said the Earth will basically suffer from the weakening of its' magnetic field . She said the some other planet would start pulling on Earth with its' own magnetic field. And this would cause major quakes and other bad things . She then said that the big event would happen by June 15th , if the sun should start staying out a couple of hours later than usual . Well , then that would be the sign of the "end of the world" .........

well, that's all I gots' to on with right now , I'm going to try to see if this lady has a web site or something to hook up a link .........

~Peace~

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
An excellent link to info on core magentic field reversal.

Core Convection and the Geodynamo

Paleomagnetic records indicate that the geomagnetic field has existed for at least three billion years. However, based on the size and electrical conductivity of the Earth's core, the field, if it were not continually being generated, would decay away in only about 20,000 years since the temperature of the core is too high to sustain permanent magnetism. In addition, paleomagnetic records show that the dipole polarity of the geomagnetic field has reversed many times in the past, the mean time between reversals being roughly 200,000 years with individual reversal events taking only a couple thousand years.

ees5-www.lanl.gov...

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Peleti,

I think you were hearing something about Planet X which just isnt going to happen. I cannot find a single cause that would cause the earth to change its rotational rate, or stop rotating altogether, (only possible reason would be impact by a very massive object).

She said the some other planet would start pulling on Earth with its' own magnetic field. And this would cause major quakes and other bad things . Posted by Peleti

Also, I cannot see any other planets magnetic filed affecting ours in any way. However, you do bring up an interesting point regarding magnetic field reversals and associated seismic activity. I have not seen any information about the two affects associated with each other, although I would tend to think there would be some kind of world wide seismic activity associated with such a flip.

Hmmm... that would be an interesting thought... maybe there would be increased volcanic activity, spewing large volumes of material into the upper atmosphere, thereby providing more upper shielding against increased solar radiation to compensate for the decreased electromagnetic shield....

Nature always comes up with a way...

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If Earth's magnetic field is getting weaker or flips, will this affect the Van Allen belts ?

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 12:48 AM
link   
If Earth's magnetic field is getting weaker or flips, will this affect the Van Allen belts ? Posted by Mad Scientist

That is also a good question, and one that I know of no current research on. I dont know, but something that probably should be looked into.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I put this originally in a topic about the suns magnetic poles flipping so I'll just cut and paste it again here.

I've just watched a very interesting TV program (Magnetic Flip Channel 4) on the possibility of the Earth magnetic poles flipping.

By boring into old lava flows scientists have been able to see how often the poles have shifted.On average the Earths poles flip every 200,000 years but it has been 780,000 years since the poles last flipped.
On one 5 foot length of lava flow it was shown conclusively that the poles had flipped in the difference in time it had taken the bottom and top of this section to cool and solidify,probably a couple of days at most,in between,while the s*it was taking place, the magnetic pole had shifted eratically.

Pole shifts on the Earth are preceded by a reduction in the Earths magnetic field.Currently our magnetic field has reduced 10% in the last three hundred years but this is from the strongest recorded magnetic field readings in the history of the Earth.Our Magnetic field is still not at as lower level as when other flips have taken place but if the rate of reduction continues then we will reach that point in around 200 years.
Computer models that have only recently been able to replicate a flip show that another phenomena that precedes a flip is the increase in magnetic anomolies around the Earth.When the Magnetic field is strong and stable positive and negative electro-magnetic fields are divided distinctly along the equator with a wave rippling effect where they meet.Computer models show large areas of positive field energy developing in the negative field and vice versa as the field weakens before the flip.Large anomolies have been discovered today and are being monitored.

After each flip the magnetic dynamo,which is the Earth core,regenerates and the magnetic field once again becomes stronger.

new topics

top topics

join