It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's why everyone believes Edward Snowden was on AFL150

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The Aviationist

Aeroflot 150 is a scheduled flight from Moscow, Russia, to Havana, Cuba. It is flown by an Airbus A330 and, as any scheduled commercial liner, unless something very special happens, it always takes the same route to Cuba. However, on Jul. 11 it flew a different route, a southern route that completely avoids the U.S. airspace (for the history of such flight in the last weeks take a look here). Furthermore, AFL150 is the same flight believed to be carrying the NSA leaker Edward Snowden a couple of weeks ago, when some journalist boarded the plane to find the accused spy’s seat empty.

Basically what the article is saying is that Aeroflot 150 made a deviation to its flightpath and completely avoided US airspace, and it has never done this before. Although it may have been because of bad weather the journalist believes its because Edward Snowden was on this flight.

Here's the normal flight:

And here's the flightpath it followed on July 7th:

edit on 11-7-2013 by Stealthbomber because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

Could he have boarded a ship? I mean I understand flying is the fastest way, but what about maritime travel?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

There's probably no point, as long as the plane doesn't fly into US airspace there not really much they can do about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Unlikely to have boarded a ship, since that would mean leaving the airport and travelling to a port.

and even if he wasn't on that flight it could be part of setting up a pattern - what's the bet lots of flights to Cuba miss US airspace over the next few days or weeks??

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I'm gonna get a little snarky, just because I can.

Notice the route that it takes through US airspace. New York, Virginia, down along the Eastern Seaboard.

Anyone bother to check the weather the last couple of days for that area? Anybody? I did. I was in it.

Two days ago a front rolled through Kalamazoo Michigan, leading to some strong thunderstorms, and a severe weather threat (including a warning about potential tornado activity) in the area. It then proceeded to move, what's that word I'm looking for? Starts with an E.....Oh yeah! East! That's it!

Which would have put it right in that area that the flight comes down through yesterday. Even today the weather in Virginia sucked. There were a lot of thunderheads, and a storm that dropped so much rain, visibility was down to around 50-75 feet, and it stretched across a huge area of the state.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but those two flight paths the OP has linked, are they not the same ?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

Don't look at the separate pictures, look at the top and bottom of one picture. The top part is the normal flight route, that it took on like the 7th. The bottom half of the picture is the flight it took yesterday, to avoid weather along the route in the US.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

If you look at the sattelite, there's far stronger imagry directly over cuba when this flight LANDED, than anything near anywhere else for the hemisphere.
radar even, has the prior flights going directly through some of the tstorms we had along the NE US (I'm in jersey so yeah the rain and thunders been pretty crazy, the heat and humidity also)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

The front that came through Michigan was weaker than expected. But flights planning for their trips wouldn't have known that when they flight planned, so they diverted. You also have to look at the jetstream winds. If they were weak enough down south, or stronger up north, then they're going to divert south, and take a direct route.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Now while we speculate as to his location......we must know that the government knows right where he is. Right?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Now i feel like a complete (insert breaking T&C word here) yeah I see the two pics now I didn't scroll down sorry its only just gone 7am I'm at work and in sleep mode

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

I did the same thing at first, so don't feel bad.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Yeah I know, I mentioned it could be bad weather in the post.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I know, just the whole "that plane flew a different route, oh my God Snowden must be on it!" or whatever the conspiracy of the day is irritates the crap out of me. There are so many other reasons first, instead of jumping to that conclusion first, let's look at other logical possibilities that make sense first.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Yeah that's true, if it was from a normal news site I probably would have taken it with a grain of salt but I thought the people over at the aviationist might have known better than to post something like that but it seems in this case their not.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Every once in awhile a story sneaks through over there that makes me shake my head, but not vet often. I think he tries to keep up with current topics and what people are talking about.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Ahk, we'll I guess it isn't all that bad I posted it here at least now we can rule that one out, thanks

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Then, as The Washington Post reports, it turns out that "a number of westbound trans-Atlantic flights are today taking this unusual southern route, apparently for weather-related reasons." There's turbulence over Greenland, it seems.

There's also the point that even on this southerly route the jet will still pass through U.S. airspace for at least several hours.

www.npr.org...

I'm not usually a big fan of NPR, just because, but this was a pretty good one.

top topics

join