It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials in Texas purge mentions of climate change from what was supposed to be a landmark report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

to sum it up.... any mention of sea level rise or climate change was removed from the report on galveston bay essentially censoring it.

whether you believe climate science or not.... it's WRONG to go through a report and remove essential parts of it.

texas is in bad shape and sticking your head in the sand (which is about all we've got around here now) is not going to help anything.

i know the majority of ATS users don't believe humans are the cause of the rapid rate of climate change (climate change has always happened - we sped it up so fast we won't be able to adapt) but there are still a few of us here who are with the majority of scientists. the politicization of this disturbs me and it's at the expense of our children.

the dirty tricks of the politicians to keep money in their pockets never ceases to amaze me. it's not the scientists who are getting rich, it's the politicians and the big corporations who don't want to have to clean up their act because it will cut into their profits.

we cant even water our lawns here more than one day a week because we are running out of water. almost every lake in texas is at horribly low levels. the gulf has a massive dead zone and a rapidly rising sea level which will make any major hurricane much more destructive. how on earth can officials sleep at night when they censored such an important report?

edit to add: this report was from over a year ago but still relevant
edit on 11-7-2013 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
So what was the info that was removed?
Maybe they removed it because it was BS?

A shortage of water is NOT proof of global warming. It's simply a failure by those who control our water to build enough reservoirs. It really is that simple!
Where I live they restrict our supply during the summer months, yet all through the winter we have three rivers that pour BILLIONS of gallons of water straight into the sea on a daily basis

If they were to build reservoirs there'd be no shortage.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Don't think that is the case. Here:

By academic standards, the protest amounts to the beginnings of a rebellion: every single scientist associated with the 200-page report has demanded their names be struck from the document. "None of us can be party to scientific censorship so we would all have our names removed," said Jim Lester, a co-author of the report and vice-president of the Houston Advanced Research Centre.

Enough said I think.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

it's WRONG to go through a report and remove essential parts of it.

Never stops an alphabet agency from doing it. Neither does it stop corporations from doing it. Where are the scientists all up in arms over that?

Climate Change was politicized from it's inception. Tons of data that cotradicts it is thrown out at the drop of a hat, and they don't bat an eye.

It's all cycles and we are just along for the ride.
edit on 11-7-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

edit to add: this report was from over a year ago but still relevant

Last year...hmmm what was happening last year....oh yeah a huge drought. and the rain this year has been quite significant.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
Last year...hmmm what was happening last year....oh yeah a huge drought. and the rain this year has been quite significant.

I often ask people to look outside and tell me what they see. When they reply with "What am I looking for?" I ask if they see anything unusual, and they always say "No why?" I then ask them where's the Global warming disaster?
They then refer to reports they've heard on tv or read in their news papers.
I then ask them if they hadn't seen or heard any reports would they be aware of the supposed global warming?
That's when they get uncomfortable and want to change the subject.

The whole thing has been planted into their minds.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

IMO the only thing more ignorant than blaming man for climate change is being arrogant enough to think man can do anything to fix it.

Some corporations and some politicians are dirty scum bags but to blame them for naturally occurring climate changes detracts from the REAL stuff they're up to.

Just my $.02......I know you will disagree.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It just goes to show how backwards Texas is.
I'm glad Perry is not running for Tex Gov, but well he'd going to ride the GOP/Teaparty again for another attempt at President. UGH.

M.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

I often ask people to look outside and tell me what they see. When they reply with "What am I looking for?" I ask if they see anything unusual, and they always say "No why?" I then ask them where's the Global warming disaster?
They then refer to reports they've heard on tv or read in their news papers.
I then ask them if they hadn't seen or heard any reports would they be aware of the supposed global warming?
That's when they get uncomfortable and want to change the subject.

The whole thing has been planted into their minds.

Funny, I can point all around where I live and show you the crop damages we've had from a lack of normal rainfall.
I can also point out the many fires we had across Texas and New Mexico as well.
But hey maybe you are trying to talk to people who follow Fox News & Jersey Shore.

M.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

and you can find texts of famine and flood throughout ancient history when fossil fuels weren't consumed. cycles people natural cycles.

Crops around my area look beautiful. so do the crops in my back yard.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet

Funny, I can point all around where I live and show you the crop damages we've had from a lack of normal rainfall.
I can also point out the many fires we had across Texas and New Mexico as well.
But hey maybe you are trying to talk to people who follow Fox News & Jersey Shore.

M.

Out of curiousity I picked a single city in Texas (the state capital) and looked up the historic rainfall data. You may be surprised to know that Austin’s rainfall has actually been higher over the last 30 years (from 1981-2010) than it was from 1942-1970. It really hasn’t changed much at all actually.

1942-1970 normal rainfall was 29.45”

1981-2010 normal rainfall was 32.15”

link

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Hey Seabag, i know this is off topic but isn't it hilarious how some staunch AGW believers try to blame people like you an I as "alarmists" and "fear mongers" on other subjects.

Even admitting themselves that nothing can be done about it doesn't deter them.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

Hey Seabag, i know this is off topic but isn't it hilarious how some staunch AGW believers try to blame people like you an I as "alarmists" and "fear mongers" on other subjects.

Even admitting themselves that nothing can be done about it doesn't deter them.

Some people say that 'reality will slap you in the face' but it seems to skip past some people.

Of course they will say it skipped ME because their FACTS contradict my FACTS.

The weather changes......SO WHAT?? We can't control it! The climate change hoax is part of the globalist's agenda. It's just another way to rob us blind.

You can't win them all, friend.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

we cant even water our lawns here more than one day a week because we are running out of water. almost every lake in texas is at horribly low levels. the gulf has a massive dead zone and a rapidly rising sea level which will make any major hurricane much more destructive. how on earth can officials sleep at night when they censored such an important report?

So what?

Really invest in a rainwater harvesting system or atmospheric water generators being Texas an all with a humdity of 50%+ that's anywhere between oh say 10-30 gallons per day.

Or plumb that rainwater for lawn watering, and the toilets.

Geez almighty expect Government to do everything?

Meh

edit on 11-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Did you just recommend a moisture farm? Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru....you remember what happened to them right?
Never forget.

But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Global Raining! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

This is all we can do!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Funny, I can point all around where I live and show you the crop damages we've had from a lack of normal rainfall. I can also point out the many fires we had across Texas and New Mexico as well. But hey maybe you are trying to talk to people who follow Fox News & Jersey Shore. M.
reply to post by Moshpet

Funny, without the fossil fuels we currently use, if crops were to fail in your area you would be screwed. Thankfully we have those big diesel pushers that can get crops from my area to you so you don't starve.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Maybe they're just tired of hearing global BS and decided that theres a ton of information about global warming all over the net and that not including this in a report wouldnt be a threat to "national security"

Its not like people dont know about it. WE get it. the damn world is warming up. Fine.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim
Maybe they're just tired of hearing global BS and decided that theres a ton of allegorical information about global warming all over the net and that not including this hyperbole in a report wouldnt be a threat to "national security"

Its not like people dont know about it. WE get it. the damn world is warming up in spite of us and our hypothetical influence. Fine.

I see no problem with books referencing climate change as part of stages the Earth has gone through, and continues to go through, so long as the books also mention the Earth has been both hotter and colder than it is today. I also see no problem with said books mentioning the concept of anthropogenic global warming as a theory yet to be proven.

What worries me is the history books of the future stating something like:

Mankind almost brought itself to extinction because they feared CO2 emissions were going to wipe out life on our planet because of increasing mean global temperatures. If it wasn't for the simulations run on the fledgling quantum computers of the late 2000's, which caused mankind to realize the system was more dynamic and unable to be accurately modeled on their archaic digital systems, we might not be here to teach this lesson in prudence.

Yes, society was heading towards a climax of disastrous proportions, almost 'Biblical' for those who believe. But society eventually came to learn that their models couldn't accurately predict anything more than an hour or so into the future. As they tried to project those models out farther into the future, the margin of error likewise increased.

Were our ancestors wrong in doing so? Absolutely not. Unfortunately, though, the majority refused to accept the increasing error in their calculations as time was extended, and the things their models should have included but did not.

It is fortuitous that our ancestors 'jumped the shark', as they used to say....

new topics

top topics

join